CDZ Your three favorite philosophers

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
Here are my three favorite philosophers.

1. Francis Bacon. To begin with, many are turned off by his writing style, except in all fairness, he lived in 17th century England. The "father of empiricism" seems to have fallen out of favor a bit these days, except I believe he deserves enormous credit for stressing the importance of using direct observations to inductively test the conclusions of our extremely fallible human deductions. In my opinion, his most important message is that he taught us that caution and careful examination of the evidence, rather than bold and audacious speculation, very often leads to our greatest progress even if it does sometimes us take a bit longer to get there. In the end, the Scientific Revolution he spawned actually progressed at a shockingly rapid pace.

2. Rudolf Carnap. I believe Logical Positivism, or Logical Empiricism as many prefer it to be called, is very misunderstood as a philosophical movement. I see it as an attempt to spread the message that calm, dispassionate, analytical thinking should not be limited to only mathematics and the hard, physical sciences and that we should always look for ways to apply rigorous logical analysis wherever we can in life. Rudolf Carnap wrote in a very straightforward, no-nonsense style and he spent his life working to spread the message of how the virtues of calm, dispassionate analytical thinking are beneficial in all aspects of life. He espoused a message that it is important that we do our best to receive communication in a manner of tolerance, and that it is equally important that we do our best to communicate our own thoughts in the most clear, understandable manner in which we are capable.

3. David Stove. I don't usually like philosophers who's best work is of a critical nature, except I must admit a guilty pleasure when reading David Stove's scathing rebukes of irrationalism. "Scientific Irrationalism : Origins of a Postmodern Cult" is one of my favorite books ever. It's lack of popularity has resulted in hard copies of the book being rather expensive, except I fortunately found the Kindle version to be much more affordable. I very highly recommend it to anyone who may be interested. "Against the Idols of the Age" is another one of my favorites.

Footnote: One minor thing I would like to point out is that a few people appear to have misconceptions regarding a particular article of David Stove's titled "Darwinian Fairytales", I can only assume from not having actually read it. David Stove was not a Creationist, he was actually agnostic. He was in fact a huge admirer of Charles Darwin and took no issue with Evolutionary Theory itself. He merely took issue with attempts to apply Darwin's theories to human society.

I was only able to find videos of the first two philosophers on my list.

Francis Bacon

Rudolf Carnap

Please feel free to list your three favorite philosophers and what it is about them that you find most interesting.

Last edited:

1. Francis Bacon. To begin with, many are turned off by his writing style, except in all fairness, he lived in 17th century England. The "father of empiricism" seems to have fallen out of favor a bit these days, except I believe he deserves enormous credit for stressing the importance of using direct observations to inductively test the conclusions of our extremely fallible human deductions. In my opinion, his most important message is that he taught us that caution and careful examination of the evidence, rather than bold and audacious speculation, very often leads to our greatest progress even if it does sometimes us take a bit longer to get there. In the end, the Scientific Revolution he spawned actually progressed at a shockingly rapid pace.

2. Rudolf Carnap. I believe Logical Positivism, or Logical Empiricism as many prefer it to be called, is very misunderstood as a philosophical movement. I see it as an attempt to spread the message that calm, dispassionate, analytical thinking should not be limited to only mathematics and the hard, physical sciences and that we should always look for ways to apply rigorous logical analysis wherever we can in life. Rudolf Carnap wrote in a very straightforward, no-nonsense style and he spent his life working to spread the message of how the virtues of calm, dispassionate analytical thinking are beneficial in all aspects of life. He espoused a message that it is important that we do our best to receive communication in a manner of tolerance, and that it is equally important that we do our best to communicate our own thoughts in the most clear, understandable manner in which we are capable.

3. David Stove. I don't usually like philosophers who's best work is of a critical nature, except I must admit a guilty pleasure when reading David Stove's scathing rebukes of irrationalism. "Scientific Irrationalism : Origins of a Postmodern Cult" is one of my favorite books ever. It's lack of popularity has resulted in hard copies of the book being rather expensive, except I fortunately found the Kindle version to be much more affordable. I very highly recommend it to anyone who may be interested. "Against the Idols of the Age" is another one of my favorites.

Footnote: One minor thing I would like to point out is that a few people appear to have misconceptions regarding a particular article of David Stove's titled "Darwinian Fairytales", I can only assume from not having actually read it. David Stove was not a Creationist, he was actually agnostic. He was in fact a huge admirer of Charles Darwin and took no issue with Evolutionary Theory itself. He merely took issue with attempts to apply Darwin's theories to human society.

Francis Bacon

Rudolf Carnap

Please feel free to list your three favorite philosophers and what it is about them that you find most interesting.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Carl Gustav Jung

Nicholas John Arthur Holmes

Please provide more details regarding what it is about the philosophers you name that you find interesting rather than simply listing their names. I'm not disagreeing with anyone's choices, simply requesting more feedback in the hopes of furthering more detailed discussion. What about their writings did you find interesting? That's what gets discussions flowing.

Last edited:
Ayn Rand
Ayn Rand
Ayn Rand

I was once a part of my college Objectivist group.

Later, as I grew older and more mature, I realized how crazy Ayn was.
Yep. Like a lot of crazy people, she was able to shine a light on things from a different direction - and that can be very valuable.

Rand was a brilliant rationalist. But she was even better at rationalizing.

Francis Bacon

Rudolf Carnap

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Carl Gustav Jung

Nicholas John Arthur Holmes

I will look into Nicholas John Arthur Holmes. I've honestly never heard of him before.

My three favorite philosophers.

gsdfgsdf.jpg

Jessie Stone

fdghdfhfg.jpg

Albus Dumbledore

fdgsdf.jpg

Ron Swanson

Francis Bacon

Rudolf Carnap

Socrates and Christ.

When reading Socrates, I often get the Christ vibe.

Just listen to the words of Socrates, they sound so Christ like.

"One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat nay man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him"

"I was afraid that by observing objects with my eyes and trying to comprehend them with each of my other senses I might blind my soul altogether."

"We can easily forgive the child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light"

"Are you not ashamed to be concerned so much about making all the money you can and advancing your reputation and prestige, while for truth and wisdom and the improvement of your souls you have no thought or care"?

"The unexamined life is not worth living"

But my favorite is Socrates coming to the conclusion that if a man ever walked the earth who had no guile or sin, he would be murdered. Which led him to say this.

"The true champion of justice, if he intends to survive even for a short time, must necessarily confine himself to private life and leave politics alone"

So yea, they murdered Socrates as well. And like Christ, all Socrates had to do to avoid an untimely short life was to forsake the truth, to recant what he had said and lived for. Socrates, like Christ, chose truth over living one more day.

Both were consumed with the truth and to follow the truth no matter the consequences.

Tell the truth enough and you will piss off a lot of people.

Last edited:
There are just so many, as you read to widen your view point.
Bertrand Russell
Jung
Sarte
Antonio Demasio
Dickens

Not much interest or knowledge about philosophers, interesting to note many people get their information from entertainment sources.

Forum List

Back