CDZ Is the Climate changing?

Worse is not really the right word. There is no right or wrong climate for the planet, it does not care about the things living on it.

The climate will keep changing, whether mankind can adapt is the bigger question.

Because both sides choose to make it political 20 years ago, we just sit and bicker about who/what is the cause instead of doing things to adapt to the changes.

I work with farmers in the mid-west and they have seen it first hand. Rain patterns that have been constant for 4 or 5 generations have changed and they have had to adapt. More and more are adding irrigation and tiling, neither of which had been needed before. They are also looking at what they will plant when this area is no longer suited for being the bread basket (Canada will be the big winner in that area).
I wish this topic would get far more attention.

While the two ends of this do their regular attacking and insulting, it would be nice if the rest of us concentrated on the other end of this: Mitigating and dealing with the changes.

Like COVID, we need to address treatments, too.

View attachment 546731

If you can not read the fine print, it says "Full Synthetic Oil Change Kit, 2879323"

:)-
Synthetic oils are typically created from chemically modified materials such as petroleum components, but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil. Synthetic oil is a man-made lubricant that consists of artificially made chemical compounds.

Synthetic oils are typically created from chemically modified materials such as petroleum components, but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil. Synthetic oil is a man-made lubricant that consists of artificially made chemical compounds.
Understand your topic before making inaccurate statements.

while synthetic crude is a light sweet oil, produced only through bitumen upgrading.

(January 2007) The end of the Fossil Fuel era is upon us so what are we going to do next-?

Energy information Administration Official Energy Statistics from the US government

The above report indicates that the US will be using primarily oil as our main energy source through 2030.
The world's total declared reserves are 1,317,400,000,000 barrels (January 2007).

World oil consumption 2005 is 80,290,000 barrels per day or 29,305,850,000 per year

Dividing annual consumption into total reserves gives us 44.9 years of oil supply at the current consumption rate.

That was fourteen (14) years ago.
We are not changing our habits, and this spells doom for us all.

45-13 = 31 years then the well runs dry

Do you have any suggestions--?

Wait, there is hope for us it seems, now everyone is concerned about climate change.

That concern may be what we need.
Our climate is changing, it has changed dramatically at least four times.

Google “snowball earth”
The Snowball Earth hypothesis proposes that during one or more of Earth's icehouse climates, Earth's surface became entirely or nearly entirely frozen, sometime earlier than 650 Mya (million years ago) during the Cryogenian period. A number of unanswered questions remain, including whether Earth was a full snowball, or a "slushball" with a thin equatorial band of open (or seasonally open) water.
Snowball Earth - Wikipedia

It is amazing that two (2) major events are happening at the same time.

We are running out of fossil fuels, and everyone is concerned about climate change. They both are working towards the same end.

Stop climate change and end our dependence on fossil fuels.
One fixes the other.
Then again, our planet will recover with or without us.

Even if we burned all the fossil fuels still in the ground, over time our planet will recover, with or without us.

Going all electric is our future.

Please embrace these changes, we the people need all the help we can get.

Many feel the way you do & I respect that.

At the same time there are three considerations we need to address. One is that the price of so called "fossil" fuels is not going up, in fact adjusted for inflation the price of a barrel of oil is less than it was in 1990. A second thought is that while it's true that dividing proven reserves by annual usage shows depletion in a few decades, it's been like that for over a hundred years because proven reserves is constantly expanding. We've been discovering and "proving" new reserves every day for over a century.

Finally, while switching to electricity may sound nice, most electricity is produced by so-called "fossil" fuels. True, electrical production by so-called "renewables" is increasing, it still has a long way to go.

Can we work on these considerations together>

Worse is not really the right word. There is no right or wrong climate for the planet, it does not care about the things living on it.

The climate will keep changing, whether mankind can adapt is the bigger question.

Because both sides choose to make it political 20 years ago, we just sit and bicker about who/what is the cause instead of doing things to adapt to the changes.

I work with farmers in the mid-west and they have seen it first hand. Rain patterns that have been constant for 4 or 5 generations have changed and they have had to adapt. More and more are adding irrigation and tiling, neither of which had been needed before. They are also looking at what they will plant when this area is no longer suited for being the bread basket (Canada will be the big winner in that area).
We build on barrier islands and flood plains. We have many more people. We have social media and media that has been coopted by special interests. We have men and women who will not get hired if they do not go in the direction of the agendas. We have technology that is purposely skewered to give the appearance of runaway global climate catastrophe. Without the tens of trillions of dollars and tens of trillions of dollars more on a shakedown of taxpayers, pushing more aggressive building codes, A/C and heating efficiencies, more weather resistant infrastructure, modest green improvements, etc. would be more prudent and have tangible results over enriching and making a small percentage of people rich for something where the results will not be much better, but will take the credit for what I typed. We are a corrupted culture with many hands out to get a cut of the largesse.

It is true that the climate has always been changing. It might change a degree or so every thousand years. The problem with manmade climate change is that it is happening quickly. Too quickly. If you will look at the southern border of the U.S., you will see refugees from Central American. They are coming to the border because climate change has brought catastrophic crop failure to their region. Other regions are also affected, generally the more warmer regions, and the colder. Temperate areas, not so much.
If you say that changing climate has caused catastrophic crop failure and that is a reason people are coming north I will take your word for that. Changing climate could just as easily be happening naturally and not be caused by man.

Many feel the way you do & I respect that.

At the same time there are three considerations we need to address. One is that the price of so called "fossil" fuels is not going up, in fact adjusted for inflation the price of a barrel of oil is less than it was in 1990. A second thought is that while it's true that dividing proven reserves by annual usage shows depletion in a few decades, it's been like that for over a hundred years because proven reserves is constantly expanding. We've been discovering and "proving" new reserves every day for over a century.

Finally, while switching to electricity may sound nice, most electricity is produced by so-called "fossil" fuels. True, electrical production by so-called "renewables" is increasing, it still has a long way to go.

"Renewables cannot be depended upon. The wind does not always blow and the sun does not always shine. Add to that, situations like what last year in Texas, where the turbines froze. Since renewables cannot be depended upon, it is necessary for power plants powered by coal or natural gas, or nuclear to be fired up and ready to provide electrical power when renewables are not working.

"Renewables cannot be depended upon. The wind does not always blow and the sun does not always shine. Add to that, situations like what last year in Texas, where the turbines froze. Since renewables cannot be depended upon, it is necessary for power plants powered by coal or natural gas, or nuclear to be fired up and ready to provide electrical power when renewables are not working.
Geo-thermal, hydro-electric, and tidal generation always work with no pollution or ill side effects.

At the same time there are three considerations we need to address. One is that the price of so called "fossil" fuels is not going up, in fact adjusted for inflation the price of a barrel of oil is less than it was in 1990.
The oil providers see the writing on the wall. Consumers will continue to buy oil products for a long time to come and oil companies do not want to start riots over supplies.

Having said that, as long as oil companies can meet demand, they are comfortable with current prices, but if output cannot meet demand competition will create a pricing war.

Hopefully, in the next ten (1O-15) years, renewables will be the energy providers.

As I see it, :)-

A second thought is that while it's true that dividing proven reserves by annual usage shows depletion in a few decades,
Yes, all the evidence availably confirms this.

it's been like that for over a hundred years because proven reserves is constantly expanding. We've been discovering and "proving" new reserves every day for over a century.
In this game, you only have to be right once. :)-
True, electrical production by so-called "renewables" is increasing, it still has a long way to go.
The oil providers see the writing on the wall. Consumers will continue to buy oil products for a long time to come and oil companies do not want to start riots over supplies.

Having said that, as long as oil companies can meet demand, they are comfortable with current prices, but if output cannot meet demand competition will create a pricing war.

Hopefully, in the next ten (1O-15) years, renewables will be the energy providers.

As I see it, :)-
two decades is what I see

Democrat's say YES
Republicans say NO!!!!!!!!

& I say we can!!!!!!

Hydro is good. That is my power source, but it is very limited in where it can be used. I live near Niagara Falls.
I live near the Columbia R. They are currently working on a project similar to Grand Coulee that would pump water into large depressions in the banks of Columbia gorge. In turn they would use the same water flowing back into the river to generate power using multiple generators in the gravity fed return tubes. Seems to be showing promise.

I for one believe that it is. I've believed this for a long time, but I found that a documentary called "An Inconvenient Truth", which features for Vice President Al Gore prominently, was very persuasive. I know there are those who believe that the Climate isn't changing as well, including some people like James Corbett, who I respect immensely for his work on other subjects, but we simply don't agree when it comes to climate. Recently, a poster in another thread of mine expressed his belief that the climate isn't changing so I thought it might be good to create this thread and see where it goes. I ask that people support any assertions that haven't already been made by another poster with at least one link.
The effects are subtle at first, here in the Midwest I believe tornado Alley because of the increased energy in the atmosphere has moved a hundred or two hundred miles east ward. Also high plains are drying out and the process of desertification is beginning. Increasing demands on the Ogallala Aquifer could cause you to drop several hundred feet. Once that is done working real trouble cuz Farmers all over the Midwest depend on it for irrigating their crops. The Midwest is the breadbasket of America, if that ever becomes " was the breadbasket of America " the whole country and a lot of the world are in big trouble. Personally, no matter how much I water, I'm not getting the bumper crops of tomatoes I used to.

I live near the Columbia R. They are currently working on a project similar to Grand Coulee that would pump water into large depressions in the banks of Columbia gorge. In turn they would use the same water flowing back into the river to generate power using multiple generators in the gravity fed return tubes. Seems to be showing promise.
Does it interfere with fish swimming upriver to spawn ?

No, it doesn't impede the flow of the river, just redirects a portion of the water to an elevated pool on the north bank.
In creating these pools, do they have to tear down any forests ? Does it do anything to upset the balance of nature ?

It is true that the climate has always been changing. It might change a degree or so every thousand years. The problem with manmade climate change is that it is happening quickly. Too quickly. If you will look at the southern border of the U.S., you will see refugees from Central American. They are coming to the border because climate change has brought catastrophic crop failure to their region. Other regions are also affected, generally the more warmer regions, and the colder. Temperate areas, not so much.

Brazil averages 8 degrees warmer than the US. They have no problem growing things, your claims are baseless, and not founded in science.

Forum List

Back