Is The Pending Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump UnConstitutional? (Poll)

Will there be a Senate Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump, or won't there?

• No, Justice Roberts will adjourn the "trial" as unconstitutional

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Yes, the democrats will hold a Senate trial with or without Justice Roberts

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No, Alan Dershowitz will present a motion of dismissal as unconstitutional, and Roberts will agree.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Justice Roberts will allow the trial to proceed before ruling on constitutionality

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • No, Nancy will decide that sending the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate is counterproductive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Schumer will insist that the Articles sent from the House MUST have a trial

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other outcome, I'll descrbe in my post

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
There is precedent for Impeachment and trial held after having left office. Secretary of War Belknap. Look it up
I don't remember a President Belknap?!
He was sec of the army. He was impeached for corruption, but tried to stop the process by resigning right before the vote to impeach him.

Congress voted to impeach him anyway, and the senate agreed to try him, concluding they were not limited to trying only current office holders.
Btw, he was acquitted by one vote, after all of that.

The Senate cannot create jurisdiction where none exists. Trump cannot be impeached once he leaves office.
Okey dokey. They are aimin' to try, though. Are you going to file the motion to stop them?

There is precedent for Impeachment and trial held after having left office. Secretary of War Belknap. Look it up
He was sec of the army. He was impeached for corruption, but tried to stop the process by resigning right before the vote to impeach him.

Congress voted to impeach him anyway, and the senate agreed to try him, concluding they were not limited to trying only current office holders.
Very true, but the Belknap impeachment meant absolutely nothing, he retired a wealthy man after a very successful career in business.
Impeachment means nothing to billionaire Trump, he can live very well in Mara Lago, FL.
Knock yourselves out, see if you can count to (67)...
Fine by me as long as he stays away from government. Hope the lying bastard stays off the airwaves, too, but we'll see. It's a much freer country than you folks are giving it credit for. Unless they put him in prison for something, once he's out of office, he's going to go to GAB, get on the talkshow circuit and do his typical lying like a rug.

You call Trump a lying bastard, yet Biden has been accused of plagiarism more times than I can count. He even stole Trump's COVID plan directly from his website.

What exactly what crime do you think which he is guilty? You simply cannot answer that question because your Dem handlers have yet to come up with one they can prove in a court of law.

Btw, he was acquitted by one vote, after all of that.

The Senate cannot create jurisdiction where none exists. Trump cannot be impeached once he leaves office.
Okey dokey. They are aimin' to try, though. Are you going to file the motion to stop them?

Nah! That will take care of itself when Justice Roberts takes the gavel and dismisses the trial out of hand.

Nah! That will take care of itself when Justice Roberts takes the gavel and dismisses the trial out of hand.
That's your big plan? Roberts is gonna take it on himself to dismiss?

File that one with "Pence will over turn it"

So what happens if he doesn't? Gonna blow up Congress?

Very true, but the Belknap impeachment meant absolutely nothing, he retired a wealthy man after a very successful career in business.
Impeachment means nothing to billionaire Trump, he can live very well in Mara Lago, FL.
Fine by me as long as he stays away from government. Hope the lying bastard stays off the airwaves, too, but we'll see. It's a much freer country than you folks are giving it credit for. Unless they put him in prison for something, once he's out of office, he's going to go to GAB, get on the talkshow circuit and do his typical lying like a rug.

You call Trump a lying bastard, yet Biden has been accused of plagiarism more times than I can count. He even stole Trump's COVID plan directly from his website.

What exactly what crime do you think which he is guilty? You simply cannot answer that question because your Dem handlers have yet to come up with one they can prove in a court of law.
Wait til January 20 and see.

Since a trial requires a defendant be able to defend themselves, once Trump is out of office and is no longer a federal employee he can't defend himself in the senate court anymore.

So no, he can't be tried after leaving office.
Last time Trump was defended by a private citizen. So your theory is bogus.

The team will be led by White House counsel Pat Cipollone and Jay Sekulow, a private attorney

WHEN HE WAS A FEDERAL EMPLOYEE. The senate doesn't try private citizens. Impeachment of a president that is gone is moot.

Since a trial requires a defendant be able to defend themselves, once Trump is out of office and is no longer a federal employee he can't defend himself in the senate court anymore.

The team will be led by White House counsel Pat Cipollone and Jay Sekulow, a private attorney

WHEN HE WAS A FEDERAL EMPLOYEE. The senate doesn't try private citizens. Impeachment of a president that is gone is moot.
Follow along. Sec of War Belknap was Impeached after resigning. There is precedent

Follow along. Sec of War Belknap was Impeached after resigning. There is precedent

He can be impeached he was already impeached WHEN HE WAS PRESIDENT. Once he is not president HE CAN'T BE TRIED IN THE SENATE.

Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution states, “The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” Likewise, the Senate cannot convict and impose the punishment of disqualification from future federal office unless the president has been “constitutionally impeached.”

It clearly states that the punishment is removal from office. If he's already removed due to another president being inaugurated, then the senate trial and impeachment as a whole is moot.

Last edited:
Although I would love for the democrats to waste a month or two on an impeachment trial that will never get 67 votes, I need to point out the simple fact that the US Constitution limits impeachment to "office holders", which Trump is not.

"...the American impeachment process is remedial, not penal: it is limited to office holders, and judgments are limited to no more than removal from office and disqualification to hold future office."

So the impeachment trial, or not, is a win-win for Trump and the GOP, because the democrats will lose votes during the "illegal" trial.
It shows how stupid democrats are, the party that thinks the island of Guam will capsize, and are happy wasting the senate's time.

So what cards are left to play by both parties and Chief Justice Roberts?
I'm a little late at reading this thread and now it is over 100 posts, of which I have not read through all of them, so if this has been mentioned already, I'm sorry!!!

We had a Secretary of War that was impeached after he no longer held office..... he resigned in tears before the impeachment in the House took place....

They impeached him anyway! After he no longer held the office.....and the Senate tried him about 3 weeks later....

The Senate deliberated first, on whether they could impeach and try an office holder after they no longer held office...and they determined they could!

May 1876

Image of William Belknap

An impeachment trial for a secretary of war occupied much of the Senate’s time during May 1876.
At issue was the behavior of William Belknap, war secretary in the administration of President Ulysses Grant. A former Iowa state legislator and Civil War general, Belknap had held his cabinet post for nearly eight years. In the rollicking era that Mark Twain dubbed the Gilded Age, Belknap was famous for his extravagant Washington parties and his elegantly attired first and second wives. Many questioned how he managed such a grand lifestyle on his $8,000 government salary.
By early 1876, answers began to surface. A House of Representatives committee uncovered evidence supporting a pattern of corruption blatant even by the standards of the scandal-tarnished Grant administration.
The trail of evidence extended back to 1870. In that year, Belknap’s luxury-loving first wife assisted a wheeler-dealer named Caleb Marsh by getting her husband to select one of Marsh’s associates to operate the lucrative military trading post at Fort Sill in Indian territory. Marsh’s promise of generous kickbacks prompted Secretary Belknap to make the appointment. Over the next five years, the associate funneled thousands of dollars to Marsh, who provided Belknap regular quarterly payments totaling over $20,000.
On March 2, 1876, just minutes before the House of Representatives was scheduled to vote on articles of impeachment, Belknap raced to the White House, handed Grant his resignation, and burst into tears.
This failed to stop the House. Later that day, members voted unanimously to send the Senate five articles of impeachment, charging Belknap with “criminally disregarding his duty as Secretary of War and basely prostituting his high office to his lust for private gain.”
The Senate convened its trial in early April, with Belknap present, after agreeing that it retained impeachment jurisdiction over former government officials. During May, the Senate heard more than 40 witnesses, as House managers argued that Belknap should not be allowed to escape from justice simply by resigning his office.
On August 1, 1876, the Senate rendered a majority vote against Belknap on all five articles. As each vote fell short of the necessary two-thirds, however, he won acquittal. Belknap was not prosecuted further; he died in 1890.

Last edited:
Although I would love for the democrats to waste a month or two on an impeachment trial that will never get 67 votes, I need to point out the simple fact that the US Constitution limits impeachment to "office holders", which Trump is not.

"...the American impeachment process is remedial, not penal: it is limited to office holders, and judgments are limited to no more than removal from office and disqualification to hold future office."

So the impeachment trial, or not, is a win-win for Trump and the GOP, because the democrats will lose votes during the "illegal" trial.
It shows how stupid democrats are, the party that thinks the island of Guam will capsize, and are happy wasting the senate's time.

I'm a little late at reading this thread and now it is over 100 posts, that I have not read through all of them, so if this has been mentioned already, I'm sorry!!!

We had a Secretary of War that was impeached after he no longer held office..... he resigned in tears before the impeachment in the House took place....

They impeached him anyway! After he no longer held the office.....and the Senate tried him about 3 weeks later....

The Senate deliberated first, on whether they could impeach and try an office holder after they no longer held office...and they determined they could!

May 1876

Image of William Belknap

An impeachment trial for a secretary of war occupied much of the Senate’s time during May 1876.
At issue was the behavior of William Belknap, war secretary in the administration of President Ulysses Grant. A former Iowa state legislator and Civil War general, Belknap had held his cabinet post for nearly eight years. In the rollicking era that Mark Twain dubbed the Gilded Age, Belknap was famous for his extravagant Washington parties and his elegantly attired first and second wives. Many questioned how he managed such a grand lifestyle on his $8,000 government salary.
By early 1876, answers began to surface. A House of Representatives committee uncovered evidence supporting a pattern of corruption blatant even by the standards of the scandal-tarnished Grant administration.
The trail of evidence extended back to 1870. In that year, Belknap’s luxury-loving first wife assisted a wheeler-dealer named Caleb Marsh by getting her husband to select one of Marsh’s associates to operate the lucrative military trading post at Fort Sill in Indian territory. Marsh’s promise of generous kickbacks prompted Secretary Belknap to make the appointment. Over the next five years, the associate funneled thousands of dollars to Marsh, who provided Belknap regular quarterly payments totaling over $20,000.
On March 2, 1876, just minutes before the House of Representatives was scheduled to vote on articles of impeachment, Belknap raced to the White House, handed Grant his resignation, and burst into tears.
This failed to stop the House. Later that day, members voted unanimously to send the Senate five articles of impeachment, charging Belknap with “criminally disregarding his duty as Secretary of War and basely prostituting his high office to his lust for private gain.”
The Senate convened its trial in early April, with Belknap present, after agreeing that it retained impeachment jurisdiction over former government officials. During May, the Senate heard more than 40 witnesses, as House managers argued that Belknap should not be allowed to escape from justice simply by resigning his office.
On August 1, 1876, the Senate rendered a majority vote against Belknap on all five articles. As each vote fell short of the necessary two-thirds, however, he won acquittal. Belknap was not prosecuted further; he died in 1890.

Irrelevant. This was a secretary of war. Not the President of United States. Apples to car tires comparison.

I'm a little late at reading this thread and now it is over 100 posts, that I have not read through all of them, so if this has been mentioned already, I'm sorry!!!

May 1876

Image of William Belknap

Irrelevant. This was a secretary of war. Not the President of United States. Apples to car tires comparison.
I don't know why you would think that? The impeachment clause includes all three, the President, the vice President and office holders in the same sentence as equals in impeachment.

Wait til January 20 and see.

As I predicted, you don't have an answer. That makes you a typical libtard! When your Dem handlers let you know, go "whole hog" and disregard their lies and hypocrisy.

Oh look...we have a brand new terrorist on the board

May 1876

Image of William Belknap

I don't know why you would think that? The impeachment clause includes all three, the President, the vice President and office holders in the same sentence as equals in impeachment.
Everything okay down there, Care? At about 5 o'clock my house actually SHOOK for a few long seconds. Never lost power though. Windstorm 3 in a month. I like the warm weather but...

WTF is that supposed to mean "create jurisdiction"...

It means the senate cannot try a private citizen. They have no jurisdiction to do so. Thus they would have to "create" it in order to try a private citizen.
Email the Pres with this. I hear he is looking for a good lawyer.

Forum List

Back