Is the US a democracy?

Democracy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

de·moc·ra·cy
noun \di-ˈmä-krə-sē\
pluralde·moc·ra·cies

Definition of DEMOCRACY

a: government by the people; especially: rule of the majority b: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

Tell me... what is the supreme law of the land?

Do you vote on every person's innocence in a legal matter? Can the people in this country vote to remove your tongue from your mouth? Can they vote to torture you as a result of your criminal actions?

Mike

There is no supreme law of the land, in a democracy

Show that definition and site it.

Dictionary definitions of democracy include:

1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.

Democracy | Define Democracy at Dictionary.com

So you just pretend the FIRST definition doesnt exsist?

LOL - please show me where I pretended the first definition doesn't exist.

You can't even recognize when someone is trying to help you out a little. Down the road you'll probably remember this day as "everyone on the right was arguing against me".

I don't think there is much good to come from arguing that we are not a democracy in the modern sense of the word. However, I greatly respect the emphasis on the republican nature of our government. The Founding Fathers considered it of vital importance. And I don't believe a pure democracy would have a chance of succeeding.

I posted article 4, section 4, that we are a republic and no one responded. I posted it twice. Interesting.

Robert

Yes it is very interesting isn't it?
I don't think that they can answer it.
An Australian posted and says that we are a Republic. They are being taught that in other countries but not here.

TM never answered me either as to why she cut off the last sentence to Thomas Jefferson's letter.

de·moc·ra·cy
noun \di-ˈmä-krə-sē\
pluralde·moc·ra·cies

Definition of DEMOCRACY

a: government by the people; especially: rule of the majority b: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

Do you vote on every person's innocence in a legal matter? Can the people in this country vote to remove your tongue from your mouth? Can they vote to torture you as a result of your criminal actions?

Mike

I thought Obama was the supreme law of the land.

Wrong again. What is confirmed is that TDM are lie without compoilatitude.

Are lie without compuction?

The universal translator just melted.

t_ir.gif

It's clear enough from "the republican element of popular control" that by 'republican" Jefferson meant "democratic." The two words were sometimes used interchangeably in those days, which is not strictly accurate but in view of the fact that people were generally concerned with only two forms of government, republic and monarchy, it's understandable.

And your signature is the reason why we must stay away from a democracy

Democracy: A Proposal For a New Constitution For the United States

No thank you democracy can bring back slavery.

I take it you didn't actually read the pamphlet. If you had, you would have found this passage:

"Replacing Congress with a direct democracy would not imply losing the Bill of Rights. Those protections are found in a different part of the Constitution than Article II. Americans cherish that part of the Constitution more than any other, and would not be willing to abolish it, nor should we."

Although this directly applies only to the first 10 amendments, the same reasoning applies equally well to the 13th Amendment. As long as that remains in force, democracy cannot bring back slavery.

I posted article 4, section 4, that we are a republic and no one responded. I posted it twice. Interesting.

Robert

Yes it is very interesting isn't it?
I don't think that they can answer it.
An Australian posted and says that we are a Republic. They are being taught that in other countries but not here.

TM never answered me either as to why she cut off the last sentence to Thomas Jefferson's letter.

TM is a profligate liar.

Mike

I thought Obama was the supreme law of the land.

Nawh he's the great and might little man tied to the puppet master cross bars.

obama-2.jpg

It's clear enough from "the republican element of popular control" that by 'republican" Jefferson meant "democratic." The two words were sometimes used interchangeably in those days, which is not strictly accurate but in view of the fact that people were generally concerned with only two forms of government, republic and monarchy, it's understandable.

Interesting ....

That's because you weren't the first to bring it up. I answered it in post 271, but to repeat, the answer is that there is no contradiction between "a republican form of government" and "democracy."

And your signature is the reason why we must stay away from a democracy

Democracy: A Proposal For a New Constitution For the United States

No thank you democracy can bring back slavery.

I take it you didn't actually read the pamphlet. If you had, you would have found this passage:

"Replacing Congress with a direct democracy would not imply losing the Bill of Rights. Those protections are found in a different part of the Constitution than Article II. Americans cherish that part of the Constitution more than any other, and would not be willing to abolish it, nor should we."

Although this directly applies only to the first 10 amendments, the same reasoning applies equally well to the 13th Amendment. As long as that remains in force, democracy cannot bring back slavery.

What book? Democracy is majority rule the majority at one time believed in slavery.

What book?

The one linked in my signature. That you referenced. Without reading it. Obviously. ;)

Democracy is majority rule the majority at one time believed in slavery.

Democracy is not UNLIMITED majority rule (necessarily). Once again, you are conflating two separate issues in order to discredit rule by the people.

A Republic assured the right of all to be protected, against the tyranny of the Democratic process. Oligarchy is the next step, and those that made it here and later formed up our founding paperwork were determined we would govern ourselves.

Article 4 Section 4 states it clearly and makes it so that all is equal across the spectrum.

Robert

A Republic assured the right of all to be protected, against the tyranny of the Democratic process.

No. The Bill of Rights does that. The Bill of Rights is one thing. A republican form of government is another. Don't confuse the two.

Article 4 Section 4 states it clearly and makes it so that all is equal across the spectrum.

You're reading that "equal access" thing into it. It's not there. All it says is that the states are guaranteed a republican form of government. It does not say "non-democratic." A republic may be a democracy as well.

You are not reading our structure of declaration. I am also not sure what you are trying to point out. The Bill of Rights was the responsibility of government, at the endorsement of the governed. But this in no way a conflict or misread of what this nation is.

I went around around with this in grad school, and it was fun, but the condition of reproof was that a Constitutional Federal Republic, for which we are, then assures the rights of the governed, against the tyranny of the few.

Good data.

Robert

You are not reading our structure of declaration.

Am I not? Well, since I have no idea what the hell "our structure of declaration" is, I must admit it's possible that I'm not reading it. Perhaps you should clarify this.

I am also not sure what you are trying to point out.

I am pointing out that the provisions in the Constitution protecting individual rights from government have nothing to do with democracy one way or the other.

Reading the rest of your post, I think the problem here, or a part of it, may be that you are using words in an idiosyncratic manner, and it's not at all clear what you mean by them.

de·moc·ra·cy
noun \di-ˈmä-krə-sē\
pluralde·moc·ra·cies
Definition of DEMOCRACY
1 a: government by the people; especially: rule of the majority b: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

Mike

So you mean we're not a democracy?

Mike

You are not reading our structure of declaration. I am also not sure what you are trying to point out. The Bill of Rights was the responsibility of government, at the endorsement of the governed. But this in no way a conflict or misread of what this nation is.

I went around around with this in grad school, and it was fun, but the condition of reproof was that a Constitutional Federal Republic, for which we are, then assures the rights of the governed, against the tyranny of the few.

Good data.

Robert

I'm sorry? Can you explain the bolded?

Mike

Mike

So you mean we're not a democracy?

Mike

No we aren't as has been stated many times.
Article 4 section 4 specifically states what type of government we MUST have.

Forum List

Back