Is the US a democracy?

What is your definition of democracy....

I mean there are several definitions in the dictionary - one of which fits your govt - but, hey if you want to change meanings of words, go for it.

From now on the word 'car' means 'dog'. A 'tree' is a 'movie' and the 'moon' is actual actually a 'house'....
What does Article 4 section 4 say?

I've read what it says. I know the very idea of having anything to do with a democracy sends shivers up your spine. Whether you like it or not, if the show fits etc....
How many times must a fact be placed in front of you before it sinks in?
The USA is NOT a democracy. It is a representative republic.
The USA is NOT a free country. We have rules here.
You can believe what you wish. Doesn't make what you believe a fact.
Your insistence on calling the USA a democracy is equivalent to the fruitless pursuit of standing on a chair in a a crowded room, screaming at the highest of octaves that it is not you who is wrong, it is everyone else in the room. Meanwhile the most popular response is the occasional side glance of disdain.

What does Article 4 section 4 say?

I've read what it says. I know the very idea of having anything to do with a democracy sends shivers up your spine. Whether you like it or not, if the show fits etc....
How many times must a fact be placed in front of you before it sinks in?
The USA is NOT a democracy. It is a representative republic.
The USA is NOT a free country. We have rules here.
You can believe what you wish. Doesn't make what you believe a fact.
Your insistence on calling the USA a democracy is equivalent to the fruitless pursuit of standing on a chair in a a crowded room, screaming at the highest of octaves that it is not you who is wrong, it is everyone else in the room. Meanwhile the most popular response is the occasional side glance of disdain.

If you read the thread carefully, that is not what I am saying...

But it's unlike you to jump in with both feet without testing the water properly <sarcasm>....

OH but yes it is delegated to the federal government. Because it is the federal government's job to ensure that our right's are protected. As with the second amendment.

Quote the first amendment. Highlight what part is delegating a power. You do not delegate restrictions. If the first amendment were meant to be an empowering statement then it would begin like article 1 section 8 or it would include a statement such as the last section of the 13th amendment: Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

It lacks such a statement because the federal government is not granted any such authority through the first amendment. Congress is prohibited from making a law. Nothing more.

Mike

I said look at the tenth amendment. But you did not do that did you?

Here you go

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Thank you. I know what the tenth amendment says. I didn't need a refresher course. Now read it carefully.

The powers not delegated....

The fact that Congress is prohibited from doing something does not give it authority. The tenth amendment means exactly what it says. That if a power is not delegated to the United States (the federal government) by the Constitution or (if a power) is not prohibited to the states by the constitution then it is reserved for the states respectively. It does not mean that if the federal government is prohibited from doing something then the states are too.

Congress shall make no law....

How in the hell do you see that as delegating an authority to the federal government? It is prohibiting the federal government from doing something. Want further proof. At the time of the ratification of the Constitution (and also at the time of the ratification of the BoR) there were THREE states that had official religions. Now if you were to go to the first amendment you would ALSO see
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

The first amendment does NOT apply, and was never meant to apply to the states... it applies to CONGRESS.

In all amendments in which the federal government is being delegated a power the amendment includes some language about Congress having the ability to enforce the amendment using appropriate legislation.

Mike

Last edited:
Quote the first amendment. Highlight what part is delegating a power. You do not delegate restrictions. If the first amendment were meant to be an empowering statement then it would begin like article 1 section 8 or it would include a statement such as the last section of the 13th amendment: Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

It lacks such a statement because the federal government is not granted any such authority through the first amendment. Congress is prohibited from making a law. Nothing more.

Mike

Here you go

Thank you. I know what the tenth amendment says. I didn't need a refresher course. Now read it carefully.

The fact that Congress is prohibited from doing something does not give it authority. The tenth amendment means exactly what it says. That if a power is not delegated to the United States (the federal government) by the Constitution or (if a power) is not prohibited to the states by the constitution then it is reserved for the states respectively. It does not mean that if the federal government is prohibited from doing something then the states are too.

How in the hell do you see that as delegating an authority to the federal government? It is prohibiting the federal government from doing something. Want further proof. At the time of the ratification of the Constitution (and also at the time of the ratification of the BoR) there were THREE states that had official religions. Now if you were to go to the first amendment you would ALSO see
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

The first amendment does NOT apply, and was never meant to apply to the states... it applies to CONGRESS.

In all amendments in which the federal government is being delegated a power the amendment includes some language about Congress having the ability to enforce the amendment using appropriate legislation.

Mike

The powers not delegated by what?

Go ahead I know that you know the answer.
The powers not delegated by the Constitution. There for if it's not written in the Constitution then it's a states issue. That's why gay's can be married in some states and in others they can't.

State law cannot supersede the Constitution. It cannot infringe upon the Constitutionally protected rights of citizens.

Here you go

How in the hell do you see that as delegating an authority to the federal government? It is prohibiting the federal government from doing something. Want further proof. At the time of the ratification of the Constitution (and also at the time of the ratification of the BoR) there were THREE states that had official religions. Now if you were to go to the first amendment you would ALSO see .

Mike

The powers not delegated by the Constitution. There for if it's not written in the Constitution then it's a states issue. That's why gay's can be married in some states and in others they can't.

State law cannot supersede the Constitution. It cannot infringe upon the Constitutionally protected rights of citizens.

That is wrong. When it was ratified there were three states that had official state religions. That Congress could not create a law respecting the establishment of a religion clearly did not apply to the states... They did not give up the authority to have the religions (in fact the last one wasn't repealed until the mid 1800's). Are you telling me that parts of the first amendment applies to the states and part does not? The first amendment SPECIFIES that Congress cannot create laws which (you know the speech, press, religion issues). The Second Amendment, which does NOT specify Congress, applies to all levels of government.

Mike

How in the hell do you see that as delegating an authority to the federal government? It is prohibiting the federal government from doing something. Want further proof. At the time of the ratification of the Constitution (and also at the time of the ratification of the BoR) there were THREE states that had official religions. Now if you were to go to the first amendment you would ALSO see .

Mike

That is wrong. When it was ratified there were three states that had official state religions. That Congress could not create a law respecting the establishment of a religion clearly did not apply to the states... They did not give up the authority to have the religions (in fact the last one wasn't repealed until the mid 1800's). Are you telling me that parts of the first amendment applies to the states and part does not? The first amendment SPECIFIES that Congress cannot create laws which (you know the speech, press, religion issues). The Second Amendment, which does NOT specify Congress, applies to all levels of government.

Mike

ONE MORE TIME if the states did not delegate the power to the federal government then it's reserved to the states. The states cannot supersede the Constitution. You keep mentioning Congress is forbidden, What if the president wrote and executive order that we must become religious is that not a violation?

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

Mike

ONE MORE TIME if the states did not delegate the power to the federal government then it's reserved to the states. The states cannot supersede the Constitution. You keep mentioning Congress is forbidden, What if the president wrote and executive order that we must become religious is that not a violation?

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

I'm not going to attempt to fix your misconception... You are wanting it to say one thing and ignoring what it actually says....

Mike

Mike

I'm not going to attempt to fix your misconception... You are wanting it to say one thing and ignoring what it actually says....

Mike

My misconception? Now that's a joke. You think the first amendment is only talking about congress, It's not. As with the supreme court ruling in Heller versus D.C. no state law, or city ordnance can superseded the Constitution. What do you think the tenth amendment is talking about?

Question, Since you think the first amendment is only dictating to congress, if the president writes an executive order that his religion must be worshiped, and only his would that be Constitutional?

Mike

My misconception? Now that's a joke. You think the first amendment is only talking about congress, It's not. As with the supreme court ruling in Heller versus D.C. no state law, or city ordnance can superseded the Constitution. What do you think the tenth amendment is talking about?

Question, Since you think the first amendment is only dictating to congress, if the president writes an executive order that his religion must be worshiped, and only his would that be Constitutional?
Yep. What of what we witnessed last week when the 9th Circus told the voters of California they were violating the Constitution?

Democracy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

de·moc·ra·cy
noun \di-&#712;mä-kr&#601;-s&#275;\
pluralde·moc·ra·cies

Definition of DEMOCRACY

a: government by the people; especially: rule of the majority b: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

you dont even accept the dictionary as a source now?????
What type of government does the United States have
What kind of government does the United States have?: Information from Answers.com
from Answers.com......

The US is the world's oldest Federation. However, the best answer came from old Ben Franklin himself, when asked.
Sir what form of Government have you given us? ...Why a Republic ma'am.

Any who state that we are a Democracy; they are indoctrinated to believe that. History dose clearly show that a Democracy is among the most despotic forms of government, with the Roman Empire serving as the most prolific example.

If a teacher tells you ours is a Democracy, they should not be teaching American history. If a politician tells you this, they should never be in-trusted any government position.

The method we use to reference Democracy's role in our government, would be similar to a Nuclear Reactor.

Where Democracy serves as the deadly fuel rods, (Separation of Powers) used to power our government, which like the reactor it must be controlled (Vote), and contained and shielded. Our Constitution shields us all from it, and our Republic protects the minority from the majority.

If not for the Republic, 50.1% could dictate their rights and beliefs upon the remaining 49.9%. They could vote to take your property, your business, your money (taxes). They could even vote to enslave you by passing laws that make your beliefs or actions criminal just because they conflict with theirs. The latter reference deserves explanation.
If taught the 13th Amendment abolished slavery; you have been misled like the majority. Although the word abolished appears in every historical reference, the one place the word does not appear is in the 13th Amendment.
What the 13th Amendment states, is who cannot enslave another, and who can and by what means. Which is the Federal & to a controlled degree State government, with the word slave replaced with that of criminal.

once again.

A republic is a TYPE of Democracy.

All the world except cons know this fact

and every label you people keep giving our democracy is still a form of democracy.

look in the dictionary (any fucking one)

Now look in an encyclopdia ( any fucking one)

You will observe that they all are labeled democracies.

The United States of American is and has always been a Democracy.

As someone already said, you have a firm grasp on stupidity.

once again.

A republic is a TYPE of Democracy.

All the world except cons know this fact

your thread is titled ....IS THE US A DEMOCRACY?......NOT A TYPE OF DEMOCRACY.... .......
The United States is a federal constitutional republic, in which the President of the United States (the head of state and head of government), Congress, and judiciary share powers reserved to the national government, and the federal government shares sovereignty with the state governments.

Last edited:
A republic is a type of democracy.

There is NOTHING bad about a democracy.

Quit pretending its a bad word

A democracy can be a great and wonderful thing.

It can also be a horror show.

Needless to say, a two dimensional one-sided partisan hack like you is unwilling to admit (or even see) as much.

Democracy: Two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner.

Forum List

Back