Is the US a democracy?

Democracy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

de·moc·ra·cy
noun \di-ˈmä-krə-sē\
pluralde·moc·ra·cies

Definition of DEMOCRACY

a: government by the people; especially: rule of the majority b: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

you dont even accept the dictionary as a source now?????

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

once again.

A republic is a TYPE of Democracy.

All the world except cons know this fact

your thread is titled ....IS THE US A DEMOCRACY?......NOT A TYPE OF DEMOCRACY.... .......
The United States is a federal constitutional republic, in which the President of the United States (the head of state and head of government), Congress, and judiciary share powers reserved to the national government, and the federal government shares sovereignty with the state governments.

Best definition yet, aside from the Constitution itself. Well stated. Not sure the instance we are a "democracy" when we are clearly stated as a republic.

Good post.

Robert

then they are wrong you fool.

EVERY dictionary and encyclopedia as well as all government books agree with me because its the damned definition of the term.

A republic is a type of Democracy

I posted article 4, section 4, that we are a republic and no one responded. I posted it twice. Interesting.

Robert

I've posted Article 4, section 4, several times and she will ignore it.

In fairness, it seems certain she can't even comprehend it.

I cracks me up that she posts articles and links and doesn't even read them. If it has "Jefferson" and "Democracy" that all she needs to see.:cuckoo:

Dictionary definitions of democracy include:

Democracy | Define Democracy at Dictionary.com

So you just pretend the FIRST definition doesnt exsist?

LOL - please show me where I pretended the first definition doesn't exist.

You can't even recognize when someone is trying to help you out a little. Down the road you'll probably remember this day as "everyone on the right was arguing against me".

I don't think there is much good to come from arguing that we are not a democracy in the modern sense of the word. However, I greatly respect the emphasis on the republican nature of our government. The Founding Fathers considered it of vital importance. And I don't believe a pure democracy would have a chance of succeeding.

TM doesn't read the articles she posts, nor the links she posts, or the post she quotes.

if you were talking about PURE or DIRECT Democracy any sane person would agree.

We are talking about Democracy

then they are wrong you fool.

EVERY dictionary and encyclopedia as well as all government books agree with me because its the damned definition of the term.

A republic is a type of Democracy

Actually no, not in every case. Ours does contain Democratic Ideals though, among others, which is the point you miss.

An Important Distinction: Democracy versus Republic

It is important to keep in mind the difference between a Democracy and a Republic, as dissimilar forms of government. Understanding the difference is essential to comprehension of the fundamentals involved. It should be noted, in passing, that use of the word Democracy as meaning merely the popular type of government--that is, featuring genuinely free elections by the people periodically--is not helpful in discussing, as here, the difference between alternative and dissimilar forms of a popular government: a Democracy versus a Republic. This double meaning of Democracy--a popular-type government in general, as well as a specific form of popular government--needs to be made clear in any discussion, or writing, regarding this subject, for the sake of sound understanding.

These two forms of government: Democracy and Republic, are not only dissimilar but antithetical, reflecting the sharp contrast between (a) The Majority Unlimited, in a Democracy, lacking any legal safeguard of the rights of The Individual and The Minority, and (b) The Majority Limited, in a Republic under a written Constitution safeguarding the rights of The Individual and The Minority; as we shall now see.

A Republic

A Republic, on the other hand, has a very different purpose and an entirely different form, or system, of government. Its purpose is to control The Majority strictly, as well as all others among the people, primarily to protect The Individual’s God-given, unalienable rights and therefore for the protection of the rights of The Minority, of all minorities, and the liberties of people in general. The definition of a Republic is: a constitutionally limited government of the representative type, created by a written Constitution--adopted by the people and changeable (from its original meaning) by them only by its amendment--with its powers divided between three separate Branches: Executive, Legislative and Judicial. Here the term "the people" means, of course, the electorate.

A Democracy

The chief characteristic and distinguishing feature of a Democracy is: Rule by Omnipotent Majority. In a Democracy, The Individual, and any group of Individuals composing any Minority, have no protection against the unlimited power of The Majority. It is a case of Majority-over-Man.

This is true whether it be a Direct Democracy, or a Representative Democracy. In the direct type, applicable only to a small number of people as in the little city-states of ancient Greece, or in a New England town-meeting, all of the electorate assemble to debate and decide all government questions, and all decisions are reached by a majority vote (of at least half-plus-one). Decisions of The Majority in a New England town-meeting are, of course, subject to the Constitutions of the State and of the United States which protect The Individual’s rights; so, in this case, The Majority is not omnipotent and such a town-meeting is, therefore, not an example of a true Direct Democracy. Under a Representative Democracy like Britain’s parliamentary form of government, the people elect representatives to the national legislature--the elective body there being the House of Commons--and it functions by a similar vote of at least half-plus-one in making all legislative decisions.

http://lexrex.com/enlightened/AmericanIdeal/aspects/demrep.html

a your author is a nobody con hack.

I gave you dictionarys and encyclopedias as well as text books

retard.jpg

Unalienable Right's are based on the Value of the Individual within the Society, regardless of how the mob is manipulated or played, at least in principle. You get that right? The majority is not always focused on what is just. To establish Justice and maintain it, there needed to be a remedy, a defense against Tyranny, no matter how popular. The flavor of the day thinking, has too many consequences, both intended and unintended. Our interest is more in doing the right thing than the popular thing. If you had to choose between what is right and what is popular, where would you find yourself? To enforce that Power specifically, would a Federalist Constitutional Republic serve you better, or an open Democracy? I go with a Decentralized Federalist Constitutional Republic, where the Powers are more accountable. I wish we would return to that Principle, and stop encouraging Tyranny. How about you?

Forum List

Back