Is the US a democracy?

A Republic is not a Democracy TM
Everyone else in the world calls us a Republic

The difference between the two;

These two forms of government: Democracy and Republic, are not only dissimilar but antithetical, reflecting the sharp contrast between (a) The Majority Unlimited, in a Democracy, lacking any legal safeguard of the rights of The Individual and The Minority, and (b) The Majority Limited, in a Republic under a written Constitution safeguarding the rights of The Individual and The Minority.

The two are very different.
We have been calling it a Democracy for a long time now but we are not a Democracy.
This was taught in our school between the different forms of Government, but it has not been taught for the last 30 or so years.
Many now do not know the difference, because of it not being taught. We need to get this back in our schools again.

And the last line that TM cut off of Jefferson's letter was;
My most earnest wish is to see the Republican element of popular control pushed to the maximum of it's practicable exercise. I shall then believe that our government may be pure and perpetual.
Accept my respectful salutations.
Thomas Jefferson.
We are a Republic.

yes we are and a republic is a Type of Democracy under the very definitions of the words

a your author is a nobody con hack.

I gave you dictionarys and encyclopedias as well as text books

And I posted blacks law definition of democracy and republic

Republican government. One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly, or through representatives chosen by the people, to whome those powers are specially delegated. In re Duncan, 139 U.S. 449, 11 S.Ct. 573, 35 L.Ed. 219; Minor v. Happersett, 88 U.S. (21 Wall.) 162, 22 L.Ed. 627. [Black's Law Dictionary, Fifth Edition, p. 626]

Democracy. That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or indirectly through a system of representation, as distinguished from a monarchy, aristocracy, or oligarchy. Black's Law Dictionary, Fifth Edition, pp. 388-389.

Note: Black's Law Dictionary, Fifth Edition, can be found in any law library and most law offices.

These two forms of government: Democracy and Republic, are not only dissimilar but antithetical, reflecting the sharp contrast between (a) The Majority Unlimited, in a Democracy, lacking any legal safeguard of the rights of The Individual and The Minority, and (b) The Majority Limited, in a Republic under a written Constitution safeguarding the rights of The Individual and The Minority; as we shall now see.

DEMOCRACY | Definition of DEMOCRACY (Black's Law Dictionary)

Definition of DEMOCRACY

That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in andis exercised by the whole body of free citizens; as distinguished from a monarchy,aristocracy, or oligarchy. According to the theory of a pure democracy, every citizenshould participate directly in the business of governing, and the legislative assemblyshould comprise the whole people. But the ultimate lodgment of the sovereignty beingthe distinguishing feature, the introduction of the representative system does notremove a government from this type. However, a government of the latter kind issometimes specifically described as a “representative democracy.”

Read more: DEMOCRACY | Definition of DEMOCRACY (Black's Law Dictionary)

Last edited:
Truth, how many times do we have to go over this same subject with you, I bet this at least the 5th thread about this shit in the last year.

I will NEVER allow your lies to just stand.

The truth is the truth no matter how many times your lie about it

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

It doesn't say
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the democracy for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Founding fathers and others, in their own words.

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure (and) which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."
Charles Carroll, signer of the Declaration of Independence

"We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war [civil war] is nearing its end. It has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood ... It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless."
President Abraham Lincoln

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster, and what has happened once in 6000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world."
Daniel Webster

My Favorite Quotes - Founding Fathers and Presidents

yes we are and a republic is a Type of Democracy under the very definitions of the words

DEFENCE OF THE CONSTITUTIONS OF THE
UNITED STATES

Volume I

A Da Capo Press Reprint Edition

This Da Capo Press edition of A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America is an unabridged republication of the first edition published in London in 1787-1788.

Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 69-11328 SBN 306-71176-1

Published by Da Capo Press A Division of Plenum Publishing Corporation 227 West 17th Street New York, N.Y. 10011 All Rights Reserved

Manufactured in the United States of America

A

DEFENCE

OF THE

CONSTITUTIONS OF GOVERNMENT

OF THE

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

BY JOHN ADAMS, LL. D.

AND A MEMBER OT THE ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES AT BOSTON.

All nature's difference keeps all nature's peace. Pope.

LONDON:

MINTED FOR C. DILLY, IN THE POULTRY.

M.DCC.LXXXVII.
CONTENTS.
HTML Version Text Version [Preface]
LETTER [Subject] Page
HTML Version Text Version I. Preliminary Observations 3
HTML Version Text Version II. 5
DEMOCRATICAL REPUBLICS.
HTML Version Text Version III. St. Marino 8
HTML Version Text Version IV. Biscay 16
The Grisons 21
The United Provinces of the Low Countries 22
HTML Version Text Version V. Switzerland 22
Appenzel 23
HTML Version Text Version VI. Underwald 26
HTML Version Text Version VII. Glaris 28
HTML Version Text Version VIII. Zug 31
HTML Version Text Version IX. Uri 32
HTML Version Text Version X. Switz 34
ARISTOCRATICAL REPUBLICS.
HTML Version Text Version XI. Berne 35
HTML Version Text Version XII. Fribourg 39
HTML Version Text Version XIII. Soleure 42
HTML Version Text Version XIV. Lucerne 45
HTML Version Text Version XV. Zurich 47
HTML Version Text Version XVI. Schaffhause 49
Mulhouse — Bienne 50
HTML Version Text Version XVII. St. Gall 51
Geneva 52
HTML Version Text Version XVIII. Lucca — Genoa 56
HTML Version Text Version XIX. Venice 58
The United Provinces of the Low Countries 69
John Adams: Defence of the Constitutions, 1787

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9az6MMNZJl8&feature=related]Argent - Liar [Original Version] (1970) - YouTube[/ame]
Argent - Liar [Original Version] (1970)

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Last edited:
Look at these fools try to claim the words do not mean what they mean.

How can they be such brainwashed fools?

DEMOCRACY | Definition of DEMOCRACY (Black's Law Dictionary)

Definition of DEMOCRACY

That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in andis exercised by the whole body of free citizens; as distinguished from a monarchy,aristocracy, or oligarchy. According to the theory of a pure democracy, every citizenshould participate directly in the business of governing, and the legislative assemblyshould comprise the whole people. But the ultimate lodgment of the sovereignty beingthe distinguishing feature, the introduction of the representative system does notremove a government from this type. However, a government of the latter kind issometimes specifically described as a “representative democracy.”

Read more: DEMOCRACY | Definition of DEMOCRACY (Black's Law Dictionary)

A republic is a type of democracy

You have to be insane to claim it is not

Forum List

Back