Is the US a democracy?

A republic is a type of democracy.

There is NOTHING bad about a democracy.

Quit pretending its a bad word

Can you answer my question?

Don't misquote someone else. Don't give me someone else's reasoning, give me your reasoning. Tell me what is a democracy and what makes us a democracy. Use a dictionary, use an encyclopedia use whatever you need but I want you to take me from the beginning to the end.

There is nothing wrong with a democratic process. There is everything wrong with a Democracy. A Democracy is one step from anarchy.

Mike

Except dictators are born in democracy's

Republican government. One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly, or through representatives chosen by the people, to whome those powers are specially delegated. In re Duncan, 139 U.S. 449, 11 S.Ct. 573, 35 L.Ed. 219; Minor v. Happersett, 88 U.S. (21 Wall.) 162, 22 L.Ed. 627. [Black's Law Dictionary, Fifth Edition, p. 626]

Democracy. That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or indirectly through a system of representation, as distinguished from a monarchy, aristocracy, or oligarchy. Black's Law Dictionary, Fifth Edition, pp. 388-389.

Article 4 of the Constitution:

Article 4: 4

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.

Liability and I correct.

See for yourself everyone:

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Robert

the USA is a democracy.

That is how the word in the dictionary is defined.

What does it gain your party to LIE about the definitions of words?

TM, why did you take off the last sentence in Jefferson's Letter?

Well that's an interesting question. Perhaps there was no nefarious reason to leave the rest off. With long quotes, one picks and chooses what to focus on. However, the part left out is interesting:

My most earnest wish is to see the republican element of popular control pushed to the maximum of its practicable exercise. I shall then believe that our government may be pure and perpetual.

Letter to Isaac H. Tiffany by Thomas Jefferson

It is also interesting to note that Jefferson's party was commonly known as the Republican party in Jefferson's day.

Madison started the party among Congressmen in Philadelphia (the national capital) as the Republican party; then he, Jefferson, and others reached out to include state and local leaders around the country, especially New York and the South.

Democratic-Republican Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jefferson said we are a democracy.

Just like every dictionary and encyclopedia in the world.

A republic is a type of Democracy.

Its a fact and denying it for partisan poltical reasons is insanity

Democracy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

de·moc·ra·cy
noun \di-ˈmä-krə-sē\
pluralde·moc·ra·cies

Definition of DEMOCRACY

a: government by the people; especially: rule of the majority b: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

Why are you denying that?

Why are you maintaining it?

In theory a republic CAN be a type of democracy. In political theory, there ARE elements of a democracy inherent in a republic.

But OUR Federal Constitutional Republic is simply NOT a democracy.

It is difficult to have to KEEP telling a person as shallow, dishonest and as simple-minded as you (time and time again) WHY our republic is simply not a democracy. But let's give it another try.

If, to your horror, the MAJORITY of voters in our land voted for a proposition that would prohibit abortions under any and all circumstances, would that vote make the proposition "law?"

You WILL find it necessary to answer with a "yes" or a "no." You will not want to do so, you evasive, dishonest hack.

In a democracy slavory could be legal. Certain groups could be striped of their rights.
The courts wouldn't be able to overturn stuff like Prop 8.
We could condem people we don't like to death. Like Socrates.

It's clear enough from "the republican element of popular control" that by 'republican" Jefferson meant "democratic." The two words were sometimes used interchangeably in those days, which is not strictly accurate but in view of the fact that people were generally concerned with only two forms of government, republic and monarchy, it's understandable.

Democracy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

de·moc·ra·cy
noun \di-ˈmä-krə-sē\
pluralde·moc·ra·cies

Definition of DEMOCRACY

a: government by the people; especially: rule of the majority b: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

you dont even accept the dictionary as a source now?????

Why are you denying that?

Why are you maintaining it?

In theory a republic CAN be a type of democracy. In political theory, there ARE elements of a democracy inherent in a republic.

But OUR Federal Constitutional Republic is simply NOT a democracy.

It is difficult to have to KEEP telling a person as shallow, dishonest and as simple-minded as you (time and time again) WHY our republic is simply not a democracy. But let's give it another try.

If, to your horror, the MAJORITY of voters in our land voted for a proposition that would prohibit abortions under any and all circumstances, would that vote make the proposition "law?"

You WILL find it necessary to answer with a "yes" or a "no." You will not want to do so, you evasive, dishonest hack.

An immediate BUMP to get TDM to look at the question she will try to evade.

you people are the most partisan people on the planet to NOT accept the dictionary as a source

the USA is a democracy.

That is how the word in the dictionary is defined.

What does it gain your party to LIE about the definitions of words?

Show that definition and site it.

Dictionary definitions of democracy include:

1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.

Democracy | Define Democracy at Dictionary.com

Forum List

Back