It's supposed to be the storm of the century here on the Oregon Coast..

I am skeptical.

The state, just in case, has closed all the waysides because you know it's the government's job to protect us from our own stupidity by preventing our access to our own property.

But the wonderful thing about living here is that one isn't dependent upon government agent "permission" to access the haunts that people in my family have been accessing since the end of the 19th century.

So I'm headed out to see what's up.

Here are pics from the last couple of days. The big wave one is Cape Disappointment, that's north of here and not my stomping grounds. The surf is supposed to double that today. The other pics are from around Heceta Head, taken by a friend yesterday.

I have some of the river mouth taken two days ago.

View attachment 93724 View attachment 93725

View attachment 93726

Those are some incredible pictures...
The first three are...they aren't mine. We live in a gorgeous place..and the world is beautiful.. The guy who took the cape disappointment photo is from a pro, I don't know him but he posted it on an Oregon coast group site. The other two are from a lady who walks around our beautiful spots all day every day and takes pictures and shares them. She spends a lot of time at Cape Creek and around the lighthouse.

You live in a beautiful area!

The bottom pic in the op is a doozy
It is.
This is Cape Disappointment on a different type of day:

174-800.jpg

This is the pic from yesterday:

cape dis.jpg

YOu can just see the tip top of the lighthouse.
Cape Disappointment is crazy...

That's amazing! The sound must have been just as spectacular, as the sight of that wave crashing into that big rock.

Heard Manzanita had an F2 tornado with yesterdays storm. Here in Washington it's been fairly mild so far, but with scattered power outages. Which is typical of fall weather. Weather news has said the wind could pick up tonight.

I am skeptical.

The state, just in case, has closed all the waysides because you know it's the government's job to protect us from our own stupidity by preventing our access to our own property.

But the wonderful thing about living here is that one isn't dependent upon government agent "permission" to access the haunts that people in my family have been accessing since the end of the 19th century.

Here are pics from the last couple of days. The big wave one is Cape Disappointment, that's north of here and not my stomping grounds. The surf is supposed to double that today. The other pics are from around Heceta Head, taken by a friend yesterday.

View attachment 93726
:eek-52:

I am skeptical.

View attachment 93726
:eek-52:
72456498.jpg

The Oregon coast is my favorite destination, got lots of photos, maybe that lighthouse too. You gotta get lucky with the weather for a great shot though.

Up northways it has been ugly. I have an outside job I can't do right now. I'm just glad we haven't lost power. Yet.

One of my friends up North lost power for more than 7 hours.

I have another at Ocean Park on the long beach peninsula in WASH, they got it worse but also nothing major by coastal standards.

I am skeptical.

View attachment 93726

Those are some incredible pictures...
The first three are...they aren't mine. We live in a gorgeous place..and the world is beautiful.. The guy who took the cape disappointment photo is from a pro, I don't know him but he posted it on an Oregon coast group site. The other two are from a lady who walks around our beautiful spots all day every day and takes pictures and shares them. She spends a lot of time at Cape Creek and around the lighthouse.
Great pics, KG. You live in a beautiful place.

Being without power isn't a big deal if you have a wood stove. It's a much bigger deal if you don't.

Being without power isn't a big deal if you have a wood stove. It's a much bigger deal if you don't.
True, but in my case I had a gas fireplace and gas hot water tank so I could keep the living room warm and take a hot shower. Absolute life savers. Plus now I have a gas stove so I can cook without electricity.

I can always build a fire in the back yard. Or use the bbq.We werebwithout power or running water for two weeks when I was a girl in Grant county...twenty below zero for some of it. But we had the river across the road, a double seater outhouse, and a monstrous earth stove and a monstrous kitchen cooking stove. Goats, chickens...we were set. Of course there were ppl there who.lived that way year round, it was not considered a particular hardship.

Forum List

Back