Jesus And The Hidden Contradictions Of The Gospels

why did you bring up ISLAM? Adolf was baptized
and raised a catholic and Josef and Magda were both
CATHOLICS in good standing-----in fact, --so was adolf. The book MEIN KAMPF is second only to the
KORAN as popular reading in muslim countries----one of the few books actually translated into arabic. ----even the koran was not translated into arabic in
many muslim countries-----I gave my copy of Pickthall to a PAKAISTANI SURGEON------at that time (and maybe now) there were no translation into URDU

You have obviously never been to a bookstore or library in the Muslim world.

Are you an observant Jew?

You have obviously never been to a bookstore or library in the Muslim world.

Are you an observant Jew?
I AM A VERY OBSERVANT HUMAN and know shit
when I smell it. You have OBVIOUSLY never interacted with educated muslims or christians

I AM A VERY OBSERVANT HUMAN and know shit
when I smell it. You have OBVIOUSLY never interacted with educated muslims or christians

Sorry, I wasn't persecuted as a child.

Looks like the Temple tax went towards the support of the Temple NOT the Roman occupiers.

Temple tax - Wikipedia
מחצית השקל the half shekel) was a tax paid by Israelites and Levites which went towards the upkeep of the Jewish Temple, as reported in the New Testament. Traditionally, Kohanim (Jewish

Sorry, I wasn't persecuted as a child.

Looks like the Temple tax went towards the support of the Temple NOT the Roman occupiers.

Temple tax - Wikipedia
מחצית השקל the half shekel) was a tax paid by Israelites and Levites which went towards the upkeep of the Jewish Temple, as reported in the New Testament. Traditionally, Kohanim (Jewish
LOL "the temple tax" was very trivial----anyone with half a brain knows that----it was not even
forced. At that time----(something which anyone with half a brain would know) ---the Temple became
a site of commerce and was an important source of
TAX REVENUE for the oppressor romans. ----out of which the PHARISEES did not profit in anyway----in fact they did not profit from the temple tax either.
The temple---during the time of the filth of HOLY ROMAN OPPRESSION----was under the control of
the Romans----(yanno----those people you admire for their CIRCUSES of lion lunch.)

LOL "the temple tax" was very trivial----anyone with half a brain knows that----it was not even
forced. At that time----(something which anyone with half a brain would know) ---the Temple became
a site of commerce and was an important source of
TAX REVENUE for the oppressor romans. ----out of which the PHARISEES did not profit in anyway----in fact they did not profit from the temple tax either.
The temple---during the time of the filth of HOLY ROMAN OPPRESSION----was under the control of
the Romans----(yanno----those people you admire for their CIRCUSES of lion lunch.)

Gosh.. the temple tax was long before Jesus or the Romans.

The origin of the temple tax is found in Exodus 30:11-16 and 38:26 (see also 2 Chronicles 24:9 for a later mention). When Moses was taking the census of the Israelites in the desert, God told him to collect a tax from each male twenty years and older to pay for the construction and upkeep on the Tabernacle.

In Nehemiah 10:32–34 the tax is given as a third of a shekel.

Gosh.. the temple tax was long before Jesus or the Romans.

The origin of the temple tax is found in Exodus 30:11-16 and 38:26 (see also 2 Chronicles 24:9 for a later mention). When Moses was taking the census of the Israelites in the desert, God told him to collect a tax from each male twenty years and older to pay for the construction and upkeep on the Tabernacle.

In Nehemiah 10:32–34 the tax is given as a third of a shekel.
so? what is your point? It was a trivial amount----
and virtually VOLUNTARY------you know NOTHING about the economic system of the time---I did not suggest that the ROMANS imposed it----NO MATTER what the sunday school whore told you. I correctly said that the temple BECAME a center of commerce and was exploited by the HOLY ROMANS What do
you KNOW about the economics of JUDEA----and the situation for the levites and cohanim-----(answer---not a damn thing other than the sunday school whore version-----DA TEMPLE GUYS EXPLOITED AND THE MONEY CHANGERS WERE PHARISEE BANKERS LIKE THE EVIL ROTHCHILDS WHO CONTROL THE WORLD----see? I read your literature too)

there are no contradictions, zero. none.

point well taken what would you expect for a rendering 100 years in the making 400 years past the events being depicted ... too bad written in sterility. forgeries and fallacies - for a few.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
"Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works." 2 John 1:9-11

which page of the c bible is not littered with forgeries and fallacies in perversion of the 1st century - liberation theology - a single person was willing to die for. written latter than include those that truly knew.

point well taken what would you expect for a rendering 100 years in the making 400 years past the events being depicted ... too bad written in sterility. forgeries and fallacies - for a few.

which page of the c bible is not littered with forgeries and fallacies in perversion of the 1st century - liberation theology - a single person was willing to die for. written latter than include those that truly knew.
ON CHRISTMAS DAY, SCROOGE?

March 12, 2010
Bible scholar Bart Ehrman began his studies at the Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. Originally an evangelical Christian, Ehrman believed that the Bible was the inerrant word of God. But later, as a student at Princeton Theological Seminary, Ehrman started reading the Bible with a more historical approach and analyzing contradictions in the Gospels.​
Ehrman, the author of Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (and Why We Don't Know About Them), tells Terry Gross that he discourages readers from "smash[ing] the four Gospels into one big Gospel and think[ing] that [they] get the true understanding."​
"When Matthew was writing, he didn't intend for somebody ... to interpret his Gospel in light of what some other author said. He had his own message," Ehrman says.​
To illustrate the differences between the Gospels, Ehrman offers opposing depictions of Jesus talking about himself. In the book of John, Jesus talks about himself and proclaims who he is, saying "I am the bread of life." Whereas in Mark, Jesus teaches principally about the coming kingdom and hardly ever mentions himself directly. These differences offer clues into the perspectives of the authors, and the eras in which they wrote their respective Gospels, according to Ehrman.​
"In Mark's Gospel, Jesus is not interested in teaching about himself. But when you read John's Gospel, that's virtually the only thing Jesus talks about is who he is, what his identity is, where he came from," Ehrman says. "This is completely unlike anything that you find in Mark or in Matthew and Luke. And historically it creates all sorts of problems, because if the historical Jesus actually went around saying that he was God, it's very hard to believe that Matthew, Mark and Luke left out that part — you know, as if that part wasn't important to mention. But in fact, they don't mention it. And so this view of the divinity of Jesus on his own lips is found only in our latest Gospel, the Gospel of John."​
Ehrman teaches religious studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His book, Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible, is now out in paperback.

First of all, when you have several authors recounting a complex story at different times and independently of each other, there are bound to be some contradictions. This does not mean that the story itself is false. None of the contradictions affects any core Christian teaching. Most of them involve minor details. Many of them are not really contradictions but are the result of differences in perspective and emphasis.

Last edited:
First of all, when you have several authors recounting a complex story at different times and independently of each other, there are bound to be some contradictions. This does not mean that the story itself is false. None of the contradictions affects any core Christian teaching. Most of them involve minor details. Many of them are not really contradictions but are the result of differences in perspective and emphasis.

What do you make of the fact that unlike the other Gospels the Gospel of John depicts Jesus saying 'eat my flesh' etc. before the last supper making it clear that flesh was a metaphor for "words that are both spirit and life", John 6:63, and the disciples confirmed their belief in this explanation, John 6:68, "Lord, to whom shall we go? Your words are words of eternal life. We have faith and know that you are the Holy One of God.", but during the last supper, according to John, Judas was the only one given bread, dipped in wine, as away to identify his betrayer to the others and "as soon as Judas received the bread, Satan entered him". John 13:30.

My point is that if eating the flesh of Jesus is key to eternal life then this contradiction is no minor detail, not a difference of perspective or emphasis, no small point. It presents a dilemma as to what to believe, a choice, a test, a decision that must be made for good or evil.

Is eating last supper bread a blessing or a curse? It is one thing or the other. It can't be both. There is no way around this. According to the gospel of John it is clearly a curse.

"as soon as Judas received the bread, Satan entered him". John 13:30.

Last edited:
What do you make of the fact that unlike the other Gospels the Gospel of John depicts Jesus saying 'eat my flesh' etc. before the last supper making it clear that flesh was a metaphor for "words that are both spirit and life", John 6:63, and the disciples confirmed their belief in this explanation, John 6:68, "Lord, to whom shall we go? Your words are words of eternal life. We have faith and know that you are the Holy One of God.", but during the last supper, according to John, Judas was the only one given bread, dipped in wine, as away to identify his betrayer to the others and "as soon as Judas received the bread, Satan entered him". John 13:30.

My point is that if eating the flesh of Jesus is key to eternal life then this contradiction is no minor detail, not a difference of perspective or emphasis, no small point. It presents a dilemma as to what to believe, a choice, a test, a decision that must be made for good or evil.

Is eating last supper bread a blessing or a curse? It is one thing or the other. It can't be both. There is no way around this. According to the gospel of John it is clearly a curse.

"as soon as Judas received the bread, Satan entered him". John 13:30.
Dude, give it up. Jesus couldn't have been more clear.

“I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; (1) for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me.”

John 6:51-57

Last edited:
God commanded that we celebrate the Passover meal perpetually. A divine revealing communication of God to his people so that they may be like Him. Jesus Christ fulfilled that command in his last Passover meal. Jesus said, do this in memory of me. In this way the mass is purpose to divinize us. Jesus is the Paschal lamb, hence, the Christian view of Christ as the spotless Lamb of God who by his death freed mankind from the bonds of sin.

Jesus was born into this world to testify to the truth. The sword he brought was the sword of truth.

The practice of celebrating the last supper or the Passover meal began with the early Christians. The belief that the Eucharist contained the body and blood of Christ was believed by the early Christians. In fact, Saint Paul admonished them to treat the Eucharist with reverence. So the belief in the mystery of the Eucharist being transformed into the body and blood is a core belief of the Catholic faith. I have personally witnessed the transformative power of faith.

I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. ~Jesus, John 6:51

"My flesh is food to the world." To the Jews the idea that Jesus presented to them - eating his body and drinking his blood - was radical. You would be hard pressed to find anything more theologically problematic or more disgusting for Jews to accept. How did they respond? They protested and gave Jesus every opportunity to clarify and correct his statement; to render his language more spiritual; more metaphorical; more symbolic. What did Jesus do? He doubled down. He said, "unless you eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of Man you have no life in you." He used the Greek word trógó; which is to gnaw, munch, crunch and was typically used in those days in the context of eating; as in to partake of a meal.

So there is little doubt in what Jesus meant.

Partaking of the one bread makes many different people into one body.

1 Corinthians 10:16-17
16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread.

So the communion with the body and blood of Christ allows real participation in Christ’s humanity and his suffering.

1 Corinthians 11 24-26
24“Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

Some people may imagine that Jesus was commanding his original twelve to keep his memory like they would any other important event of the past. But what Jesus is really offering is a chance to share in his humanity; a chance to participate in his humanity. The best way to participate in the humanity of Jesus is to remember His suffering. And the best way to remember His suffering is to participate in His suffering. This is how we all become one body when we take communion.

So, if when receiving the host one is not filled or overwhelmed with the presence of Christ, then they are doing it wrong. For if they are not filled or overwhelmed with the presence of Christ then they aren't doing it in remembrance of Him.

Jesus said, " Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him. This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent. Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh. Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me.”

March 12, 2010
Bible scholar Bart Ehrman began his studies at the Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. Originally an evangelical Christian, Ehrman believed that the Bible was the inerrant word of God. But later, as a student at Princeton Theological Seminary, Ehrman started reading the Bible with a more historical approach and analyzing contradictions in the Gospels.​
Ehrman, the author of Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (and Why We Don't Know About Them), tells Terry Gross that he discourages readers from "smash[ing] the four Gospels into one big Gospel and think[ing] that [they] get the true understanding."​
"When Matthew was writing, he didn't intend for somebody ... to interpret his Gospel in light of what some other author said. He had his own message," Ehrman says.​
To illustrate the differences between the Gospels, Ehrman offers opposing depictions of Jesus talking about himself. In the book of John, Jesus talks about himself and proclaims who he is, saying "I am the bread of life." Whereas in Mark, Jesus teaches principally about the coming kingdom and hardly ever mentions himself directly. These differences offer clues into the perspectives of the authors, and the eras in which they wrote their respective Gospels, according to Ehrman.​
"In Mark's Gospel, Jesus is not interested in teaching about himself. But when you read John's Gospel, that's virtually the only thing Jesus talks about is who he is, what his identity is, where he came from," Ehrman says. "This is completely unlike anything that you find in Mark or in Matthew and Luke. And historically it creates all sorts of problems, because if the historical Jesus actually went around saying that he was God, it's very hard to believe that Matthew, Mark and Luke left out that part — you know, as if that part wasn't important to mention. But in fact, they don't mention it. And so this view of the divinity of Jesus on his own lips is found only in our latest Gospel, the Gospel of John."​
Ehrman teaches religious studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His book, Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible, is now out in paperback.
Bottom line:

is ehrman a believer that Jesus is the living Son of God and his Lord and Saviour?

First of all, when you have several authors recounting a complex story at different times and independently of each other, there are bound to be some contradictions.
Especially when the lion's share of it is completely made up by people who did not coordinate their myths with each other.

“I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
You are a very stupid man.

From the beginning, the existing metaphor for the word of God was manna from heaven.

"The word became flesh" just means that "bread from heaven" became "the flesh of Jesus", a new metaphor for teaching from God, the food of angels.

Forum List

Back