Jimmy Carter: "Leave Gay Marriage To States To Decide" (Right On Jimmy!)

the states can't be trusted to protect constitutionally protected rights like equal protection.

and you care about what jimmy carter says because?
Jimmy Carter is good for a laugh. I am proud to say I voted for Anderson in 1980 before I was converted from my childhood idealism by Reagan.

I wasn't voting yet in 80.

sorry about the Reagan thing, though.
Carter was an idiot. Even I understood that as a young air head. I couldn't bring myself to vote for Carter or Reagan at that point. As I matured politically ....

No doubt the same time you came up with that awesome fashion sensibility...
I've no idea what you're on about. Fashion was never my calling.

Yeah I'm hip.

Jimmy Carter is wrong and the big government RWs are wrong.

Government does not belong in our private lives any more than religion does.

Unless you are a baker, a photographer, or own a wedding chapel.

Then, its SUBMIT PEON.

Freedom of religion doesn't mean you get to violate civil laws. If you want to talk about scrapping public accommodation laws for non-essential services then I am all for it.

Good, however until that happens I will continue pointing it out.

Call it a combo of constitutional indignation and OCD.

And I'll continue to point out that freedom of religion doesn't mean you get to violate civil law until PA laws are changed or ruled unconstitutional.

Sometimes the only way to change a law is to break it. We seemed to all like it when MLK was doing it.

Let us do away with all PA laws for non-essential services, let these public businesses proudly state which members of the public they will or will not serve. Let the free market decide if they are worthy of our money. When the public decides to boycott and take their business elsewhere they will whine and cry about bullying.

As long it is

1) not the government doing it
2) not accompanied by bullying and itimidation

I have no issue with the market settling this. That being said If a place didn't want to do business with me it would be no skin off my back.

I agree. Don't want my money?! Fine by me, I'll take business to your nearest competitor.

I am not sure what you would consider bullying though. Is organizing a boycott of the business bullying? Is alerting the public of their "we don't serve.." business practices bullying?

No, and no. Bullying would be picketing that involved active blocking, and threats such as death/property damage to the business or the owners.

The idea that an individual rights issue can be decided on a state by state basis has been obsolete since the Civil War

The question is that is this shit a right. Do you have a right to force another private person to do something they don't want to.

Forcing GOVERNMENT to be neutral and accommodating to all is acceptable, forcing individuals to comply is basically Jim crow in photo negative.
You have a right to equal treatment under the law

Once gay couples cross state lines, they cannot move from married, to unmarried and back to married status

It is unworkable and will be corrected by the courts

same as with a pistol permit then, equal protection and all.

You have to remember that Jimmy Carter was destroyed by the far left because he would not fund Kennedy's over bloated socialized medicine program..

Not surprisingly I disagree with President Carter. Equal rights shouldn't be left to states. Segregation wasn't, neither should this.

Carter would have a point if the government was actually forcing churches to marry any couple against their wishes, gay or otherwise. If only this was actually happening any where in our nation...if only.

Since when is freedom of religion limited only to a Church?

Because gays are getting married people are having their freedom of religion limited? Not sure how that works.

When you force someone to either officiate at a gay wedding or go out of business, you are limiting freedom of religion.

Nobody should be forced to officiate any wedding against their wishes.

Well it seems the Utah case is going away, but this was one of those things the SSM people SWORE would never happen, ever. EVER.

The idea that an individual rights issue can be decided on a state by state basis has been obsolete since the Civil War

The question is that is this shit a right. Do you have a right to force another private person to do something they don't want to.

Forcing GOVERNMENT to be neutral and accommodating to all is acceptable, forcing individuals to comply is basically Jim crow in photo negative.

Once gay couples cross state lines, they cannot move from married, to unmarried and back to married status

Irrelevant to the discussion. My CA weapons permit is treated exactly like all weapons permits. My CA drivers license is treated exactly like all drivers licesnses are treated. Why do you want my marriage license treated differently?

Irrelevant to the discussion. My CA weapons permit is treated exactly like all weapons permits. My CA drivers license is treated exactly like all drivers licesnses are treated. Why do you want my marriage license treated differently?

Again, try bringing your CA weapon permit and CA weapon to NYC and see how that goes.

Let us do away with all PA laws for non-essential services, let these public businesses proudly state which members of the public they will or will not serve. Let the free market decide if they are worthy of our money. When the public decides to boycott and take their business elsewhere they will whine and cry about bullying.

As long it is

1) not the government doing it
2) not accompanied by bullying and itimidation

I have no issue with the market settling this. That being said If a place didn't want to do business with me it would be no skin off my back.

I agree. Don't want my money?! Fine by me, I'll take business to your nearest competitor.

I am not sure what you would consider bullying though. Is organizing a boycott of the business bullying? Is alerting the public of their "we don't serve.." business practices bullying?

No, and no. Bullying would be picketing that involved active blocking, and threats such as death/property damage to the business or the owners.

I agree. None of that would be an acceptable response, plus those actions are illegal.

You have to remember that Jimmy Carter was destroyed by the far left because he would not fund Kennedy's over bloated socialized medicine program..

Not surprisingly I disagree with President Carter. Equal rights shouldn't be left to states.
And why is that? You don't believe in the will of the voter?

Some things are objectively right or wrong and don't need a show of hands. In this case, fuck the voter.

Again, try bringing your CA weapon permit and CA weapon to NYC and see how that goes.

Again, my CA weapons permit is treated no differently than an Alabama weapons permit in NY.

Why would you want my marriage license treated differently than the guy who married his 15 year old first cousin in Alabama?

Again, my CA weapons permit is treated no differently than an Alabama weapons permit in NY.

Why would you want my marriage license treated differently than the guy who married his 15 year old first cousin in Alabama?

Your inability to admit to the point I made confirms your inability to reason.

I am hardly a "dingbat". But I certainly appreciate your useless assessment. I'm also not surprised that you don't care about how destructive he and his ideas were to this country.
In other words, we believe history or you. Decisions... decisions...

I was alive and well and started my business during Ronnies years and remember a different economy and world that liberals re-write. It's what libs do, their policies show poor results so they have to make the other guy look even worse. They beat the Bush drum for so long people are immune to it, so they've resurrected the Reagan pinata for another go round.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about YOU. A weapons permit is not treated differently state to state. My weapons permit from CA is not treated differently in Alabama than someone who got one in Texas is it? Why do you want my marriage license treated differently than yours? I don't want your weapons permit (that you lied about having) treated differently than mine. Why can't you answer that simple question?

I am hardly a "dingbat". But I certainly appreciate your useless assessment. I'm also not surprised that you don't care about how destructive he and his ideas were to this country.

I was alive and well and started my business during Ronnies years and remember a different economy and world that liberals re-write. It's what libs do, their policies show poor results so they have to make the other guy look even worse. They beat the Bush drum for so long people are immune to it, so they've resurrected the Reagan pinata for another go round.

actually, you don't care about history.

that's the point. but wingers never do.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about YOU. A weapons permit is not treated differently state to state. My weapons permit from CA is not treated differently in Alabama than someone who got one in Texas is it? Why do you want my marriage license treated differently than yours? I don't want your weapons permit (that you lied about having) treated differently than mine. Why can't you answer that simple question?

I made one typo about a owning a gun, I did not lie. I have repeatedly stated in multiple threads that I do not own a firearm, but I protect vehemently my right to own one.

And its not what I want, its what the State Legislatures want. What i want is moot because I live in NY and have no issue with CCM being made legal via legislative action.

Your 3 state salsa dance ignores the basic premise of what you want for your marriage license and what you don't care about with your CCW. If owning and possessing a gun is a right, a CCW should cross state lines like a Drivers license, and what YOU want a marriage license to be.

If your SSM is a right, and a right is a right, a CCW permit should transfer just as easily as a driver's license and a marriage license.

actually, you don't care about history.

that's the point. but wingers never do.

Au contraire, I think they do since they're always trying to revise it...
"Hitler was a leftist"... "FDR caused the depression"... "O'bama caused the depression".... "Clinton caused 911".... "O'bama born in Kenya".... "O'bama spiked gas prices"... revisionisms-R-us

I made one typo about a owning a gun, I did not lie. I have repeatedly stated in multiple threads that I do not own a firearm, but I protect vehemently my right to own one.

And its not what I want, its what the State Legislatures want. What i want is moot because I live in NY and have no issue with CCM being made legal via legislative action.

Your 3 state salsa dance ignores the basic premise of what you want for your marriage license and what you don't care about with your CCW. If owning and possessing a gun is a right, a CCW should cross state lines like a Drivers license, and what YOU want a marriage license to be.

If your SSM is a right, and a right is a right, a CCW permit should transfer just as easily as a driver's license and a marriage license.

You're dodging the question. I don't want a CCW permit treated differently. I want them to be treated the same and they are. Why do you want my marriage license treated differently than yours?

Forum List

Back