Jimmy Carter: "Leave Gay Marriage To States To Decide" (Right On Jimmy!)

The idea that an individual rights issue can be decided on a state by state basis has been obsolete since the Civil War

The question is that is this shit a right. Do you have a right to force another private person to do something they don't want to.

Forcing GOVERNMENT to be neutral and accommodating to all is acceptable, forcing individuals to comply is basically Jim crow in photo negative.
You have a right to equal treatment under the law

Once gay couples cross state lines, they cannot move from married, to unmarried and back to married status

It is unworkable and will be corrected by the courts

same as with a pistol permit then, equal protection and all.

You can leave your pistol at home. Not so easy with spouses

The idea that an individual rights issue can be decided on a state by state basis has been obsolete since the Civil War

The question is that is this shit a right. Do you have a right to force another private person to do something they don't want to.

Forcing GOVERNMENT to be neutral and accommodating to all is acceptable, forcing individuals to comply is basically Jim crow in photo negative.

Once gay couples cross state lines, they cannot move from married, to unmarried and back to married status

Funny how selectively they apply parts of the Constitution.

Its not just selectivity, its outright making things up as long as they fit the narrative.

You can leave your pistol at home. Not so easy with spouses

A right doesn't have to be explained, and should not be dependent on state lines.

We are well past the point where Gay Marriage can be decided on a state by state basis
We got past the point where the states had any rights when the 14th Amendment was passed at bayonet point.
Yea...the South kind of overplayed their hand on that "States Rights" thing

We became UNITED STATES not just a bunch of united states after that

Your inability to admit to the point I made confirms your inability to reason.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about YOU. A weapons permit is not treated differently state to state. My weapons permit from CA is not treated differently in Alabama than someone who got one in Texas is it? Why do you want my marriage license treated differently than yours? I don't want your weapons permit (that you lied about having) treated differently than mine. Why can't you answer that simple question?

I made one typo about a owning a gun, I did not lie. I have repeatedly stated in multiple threads that I do not own a firearm, but I protect vehemently my right to own one.

And its not what I want, its what the State Legislatures want. What i want is moot because I live in NY and have no issue with CCM being made legal via legislative action.

Your 3 state salsa dance ignores the basic premise of what you want for your marriage license and what you don't care about with your CCW. If owning and possessing a gun is a right, a CCW should cross state lines like a Drivers license, and what YOU want a marriage license to be.

If your SSM is a right, and a right is a right, a CCW permit should transfer just as easily as a driver's license and a marriage license.

You're dodging the question. I don't want a CCW permit treated differently. I want them to be treated the same and they are. Why do you want my marriage license treated differently than yours?

So a person can walk around NYC with a California CCW?

I think the point being made is that out of state permits are equally invalid across the board in NYC.

Not treated differently, all are denied.

I could be wrong.

So if a state ignored ALL marriage licenses, that would be OK?

Irrelevant to the discussion. My CA weapons permit is treated exactly like all weapons permits. My CA drivers license is treated exactly like all drivers licesnses are treated. Why do you want my marriage license treated differently?

Again, try bringing your CA weapon permit and CA weapon to NYC and see how that goes.

Again, my CA weapons permit is treated no differently than an Alabama weapons permit in NY.

Why would you want my marriage license treated differently than the guy who married his 15 year old first cousin in Alabama?

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about YOU. A weapons permit is not treated differently state to state. My weapons permit from CA is not treated differently in Alabama than someone who got one in Texas is it? Why do you want my marriage license treated differently than yours? I don't want your weapons permit (that you lied about having) treated differently than mine. Why can't you answer that simple question?
Your right to carry is denied in New York.

Am I right.

It's a de facto ban, as you need permission from the NYPD and they only issue "for reason" and to people they like.

actually, you don't care about history.

that's the point. but wingers never do.
You are a left winger that thinks your words will eventually overcome reality. It ain't happening.

as with everything else in rightwingnuthackworld, you have it butt backwards.

if this president engaged in iran/contra, you'd be asking for his gonads on a spike

if this president raised taxes eight times, you'd be shrieking for impeachment

pathetic that you don't understand how arming bin laden, as Reagan did, affects us today.

this is why you don't understand history and why you think Reagan was anything but a horrible and divisive president whose actions) still haunt us.
You don't know what all Reagan knew about Iran Contra at the time, all you know is the smears. You are apparently oblivious to the fact that the tax burden went way down and up slightly as a concession, he didn't get the spending cuts the Dems promised.

The fact that Reagan, to this day, still inflames the passions of left wing hacks like you is all one needs to know that he was on the right side of history.

I'd be perfectly fine with Jimmy's idea if my marriage was recognized in all 50 states just like 1st cousin marriages are. Not all states will marry 1st cousins but all 50 have to recognize them.
Nobody cares if you marry your gay cousin. Having children with them, if possible, might be a bit more complex, but eugenics aside, no one gives a shit.

Apparently I didn't type slow enough for you to understand what I said. Read it again and sound out the words. We can't see your lips moving.
No one cares. I never cared about gay marriage and can't bring myself to care about it now.

and ultimately, you shouldn't care about it except to the extent that you understand that it's important to provide equal protection to our citizens.

the rest shouldn't be any concern to anyone.

exactly... since when do rethuglicans care what jimmy carter thinks...? :lol:

they don't. just like they don't care what minorities or women think unless those minorities or women are self-hating

Again, try bringing your CA weapon permit and CA weapon to NYC and see how that goes.

Again, my CA weapons permit is treated no differently than an Alabama weapons permit in NY.

Why would you want my marriage license treated differently than the guy who married his 15 year old first cousin in Alabama?

Your right to carry is denied in New York.

Am I right.

It's a de facto ban, as you need permission from the NYPD and they only issue "for reason" and to people they like.

that is false. and it isn't a ban. you can have a gun on premises without an "excuse".

I'd be perfectly fine with Jimmy's idea if my marriage was recognized in all 50 states just like 1st cousin marriages are. Not all states will marry 1st cousins but all 50 have to recognize them.
Nobody cares if you marry your gay cousin. Having children with them, if possible, might be a bit more complex, but eugenics aside, no one gives a shit.

Apparently I didn't type slow enough for you to understand what I said. Read it again and sound out the words. We can't see your lips moving.
No one cares. I never cared about gay marriage and can't bring myself to care about it now.

and ultimately, you shouldn't care about it except to the extent that you understand that it's important to provide equal protection to our citizens.

they don't. just like they don't care what minorities or women think unless those minorities or women are self-hating
I care what the women and minorities I know think and then some more than others. They certainly don't hate themselves.

I made one typo about a owning a gun, I did not lie. I have repeatedly stated in multiple threads that I do not own a firearm, but I protect vehemently my right to own one.

And its not what I want, its what the State Legislatures want. What i want is moot because I live in NY and have no issue with CCM being made legal via legislative action.

Your 3 state salsa dance ignores the basic premise of what you want for your marriage license and what you don't care about with your CCW. If owning and possessing a gun is a right, a CCW should cross state lines like a Drivers license, and what YOU want a marriage license to be.

If your SSM is a right, and a right is a right, a CCW permit should transfer just as easily as a driver's license and a marriage license.

You're dodging the question. I don't want a CCW permit treated differently. I want them to be treated the same and they are. Why do you want my marriage license treated differently than yours?

Ah, so now you're being intentionally obtuse to avoid answering a simple question. Gosh, what could your reason be for wanting my marriage license treated differently than yours...I wonder....

YOU are the one not answering the question, because you know the answer and it doesn't fit your agenda.

My agenda is to correct what the courts have been doing the past few decades, which is legislating, not adjudicating. My position on this is as clear as day.

I don't have an agenda regarding CCW permits. Mine is equal to everyone else's. It's valid in some states, not valid in others. My CA permit IS treated equally in NY as a permit issued in AL.

A heterosexual marriage license issued to a 50 year old man marrying his 15 year old first cousin in Alabama is valid in all 50 states. Mine issued in California is not. You're okay with that?

actually, you don't care about history.

that's the point. but wingers never do.
You are a left winger that thinks your words will eventually overcome reality. It ain't happening.

as with everything else in rightwingnuthackworld, you have it butt backwards.

if this president engaged in iran/contra, you'd be asking for his gonads on a spike

if this president raised taxes eight times, you'd be shrieking for impeachment

pathetic that you don't understand how arming bin laden, as Reagan did, affects us today.

this is why you don't understand history and why you think Reagan was anything but a horrible and divisive president whose actions) still haunt us.
You don't know what all Reagan knew about Iran Contra at the time, all you know is the smears. You are apparently oblivious to the fact that the tax burden went way down and up slightly as a concession, he didn't get the spending cuts the Dems promised.

The fact that Reagan, to this day, still inflames the passions of left wing hacks like you is all one needs to know that he was on the right side of history.

puleeze..... hypocrite

I care what the women and minorities I know think and then some more than others. They certainly don't hate themselves.

the right, as a general rule, only supports minorities who mirror their anti-minority, anti-women and anti-gay policies. the women, minorities and gays who support the right clearly don't defend their own self-interest and clearly pretend that if they don't "act" black, or female or gay... that it will somehow benefit them.

me? I defend individual rights and I don't support positions that deprive people of equal protection under the law.

that said, you said you don't care about gay rights. it isn't an issue for you. I had no criticism of that pov.

the right, as a general rule, only supports minorities who mirror their anti-minority, anti-women and anti-gay policies. the women, minorities and gays who support the right clearly don't defend their own self-interest and clearly pretend that if they don't "act" black, or female or gay... that it will somehow benefit them.

me? I defend individual rights and I don't support positions that deprive people of equal protection under the law.

that said, you said you don't care about gay rights. it isn't an issue for you. I had no criticism of that pov.
I don't give a rat's ass. I don't act black, female or gay. Identity politics can be extremely tiresome.

I don't give a rat's ass. I don't act black, female or gay. Identity politics can be extremely tiresome.

It can. on the other hand when men try to take away my right to reproductive choice, I think it's important that I defend that right. if someone tries to obstruct black voters, I think it's important that blacks stand up for themselves like I would stand up for them on that issue.

no... that doesn't mean I go for the race-baiting, BS... but there are issues that are clearly important. for example, i'm not sure how anyone gay can vote republican. why? because part of the GOP platform is obstructive of gay rights. That isn't race-politics. It's knowing when to defend your own self-interest.

Ah, so now you're being intentionally obtuse to avoid answering a simple question. Gosh, what could your reason be for wanting my marriage license treated differently than yours...I wonder....

YOU are the one not answering the question, because you know the answer and it doesn't fit your agenda.

My agenda is to correct what the courts have been doing the past few decades, which is legislating, not adjudicating. My position on this is as clear as day.

I don't have an agenda regarding CCW permits. Mine is equal to everyone else's. It's valid in some states, not valid in others. My CA permit IS treated equally in NY as a permit issued in AL.

A heterosexual marriage license issued to a 50 year old man marrying his 15 year old first cousin in Alabama is valid in all 50 states. Mine issued in California is not. You're okay with that?

Its up to the states to figure it out, not the feds.

And you again miss the point, its not about the permit being equal, its about the RIGHT being equal. Driving is not a right, but being able to enter a State freely is a right, thus driver's licenses have to be honored state to state. RKBA is a right, so states should be forced to recognize that right.

Ah the house-******/uncle tom view of people that buck the trend of their ethnic group. How cute.

Ah the house-******/uncle tom view of people that buck the trend of their ethnic group. How cute.

your words... not mine.

i'm simply pointing out that there are plenty of people who vote against their self-interest.

you know... like rightwingnuts who are working class and vote republican

your words... not mine.

i'm simply pointing out that there are plenty of people who vote against their self-interest.

you know... like rightwingnuts who are working class and vote republican

Your sentiment, not mine. I'm just pointing it out to you.

Democrats are the supporters of the easy solution, the buy off via government goodies, nothing more. Sooner or later people are going to figure that out. Or you are going to run out of other people's money to spend.

Forum List

Back