Joan Rivers was 81

I liked Joan in the 80s, she was very cutting edge and witty

I found the later incarnation of Joan to be petty and mean passing as comedy

When you are elderly and have operations there is great risk of cardiac failure. When my grandma had her triple bypass she had a stroke.

luddly neddite said:
And, you don't really have to be "elderly".

Yes, medical professionals make mistakes but to accuse the "healers" out of hand is just plain wrong.

Well lookee here, ladies 'n' gents: it's the USMB sideshow's own Rambly Retardite, once again hijacking a thread — this time, totally exposing its lack of class by doing it on a thread about a FELLOW AMERICAN'S DEATH.

You're a real piece of shit, motherfucker.

I liked Joan in the 80s, she was very cutting edge and witty

I found the later incarnation of Joan to be petty and mean passing as comedy

I agree. In the 70's she was pretty good too.
She should never have quit stand up, she was a natural at it.
The TV shows....ehhh

When you are elderly and have operations there is great risk of cardiac failure. When my grandma had her triple bypass she had a stroke.

My Father-in-law had a routine colonoscopy and two hours later died of cardiac arrest.
RIP Joan, one of a kind...keep those Angels laughing
Prayers to Melissa and Cooper, stay strong.
One of the hardest things is saying good-bye to your Mother

Joan Rivers was 81

joan-rivers-1-435.jpg

Joan Rivers
LIONEL CIRONNEAU/AP
BY STEPHEN M. SILVERMAN

@stephenmsilverm
09/04/2014 AT 03:00 PM EDT

Joan Rivers, a raucous and often-ubiquitous comedic presence on TV and nightclubs since the 1960s, has died. She was 81.

"It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers," daughter Melissa said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

"She passed peacefully at 1:17pm surrounded by family and close friends. My son and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff of Mount Sinai Hospital for the amazing care they provided for my mother. Cooper and I have found ourselves humbled by the outpouring of love, support, and prayers we have received from around the world. They have been heard and appreciated.

"My mother’s greatest joy in life was to make people laugh. Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon."

Rivers stopped breathing during a surgical procedure on her vocal cords last week and had to be rushed from the clinic to Mount Sinai Hospital.

Her daughter, Melissa immediately flew from Los Angeles to the Manhattan medical facility, where Joan reportedly had been placed in a medically induced coma.

In a statement over the weekend, Melissa Rivers said, "We are keeping our fingers crossed," and thanked those who expressed their support as her mother fought for her life.

Smart, Driven – and Funny
Merciless with her material, shrewd with her tireless work ethic and highly successful in a world dominated by men, the Brooklyn-born Joan Alexandra Molinsky graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Barnard in 1954, then graduated to the Garment District of Manhattan, where she worked as the fashion coordinator for a clothing firm. It was there that she met and married the boss's son, James Sanger, though the union only lasted six months.

Comedy beckoned – her agent, Tony Rivers suggested she change her name, so she took his – and her fierce desire to make it big, after years of struggling in comedy clubs and landing the occasional TV guest spot, caused her and her second husband and manager Edgar Rosenberg to mortgage their home so she could write and direct her first film, 1978's Rabbit Test. It was about a man (a young Billy Crystal) who got pregnant. It flopped, but Rivers soldiered on.

It took late-night king Johnny Carson to make her – and then break her, but only for so long.

RELATED: Joan Rivers: Her Life in Photos

Joan Rivers Dead People.com

She was great!

Making em laugh to the very end.

And not just chuckles, either.

I mean BIG laughs.

Grab a box of Kleenex cuz you are crying with laughter.

No one else is like her.

God bless you, Joan!

Joan Alexandra Molinsky (previously Rosenberg; June 8, 1933 – September 4, 2014), known by her stage name Joan Rivers, was an American actress, comedian, writer, producer and television host

Rivers was born Joan Alexandra Molinsky in Brooklyn, New York in 1933, the daughter of Russian Jewish immigrants Beatrice (née Grushman; January 6, 1906 – October 1975) and Meyer C. Molinsky (December 7, 1900 – January 1985). Her older sister Barbara died on June 3, 2013, aged 82 She was raised in Brooklyn, New York, and her family later moved to Larchmont, in Westchester County, New York. She attended Connecticut College between 1950 and 1952 and graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Barnard College in 1954 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English literature and anthropology. Before entering show business, Rivers worked at various jobs such as a tour guide at Rockefeller Center, a writer/proofreader at an advertising agency and as a fashion consultant at Bond Clothing Stores. During this period, agent Tony Rivers advised her to change her name, so she chose Joan Rivers as her stage name

She was a worthless bitch and I am glad she is gone. I hope she takes her judgemental and self-righteousness attitude to hell with her!

Joan Rivers Disses Cleveland Women 8212 Comedian Asked To Apologize - Hollywood Life

Whenever you heard this bitch it was that girl is too fat, what horrible clothes she has on, she is too big to wear that etc. She stated this about women who weren't even close to over-weight. She is as responsible as anyone in the media for young girls having body image issues. She was immoral.

Good ridden!

I ran into her while walking in Manhattan with my ex wife some time ago.

She was really nice, took time to chat and say hello.

She will be missed.

Forum List

Back