🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Joe Montana is the best QB who has ever played

You cannot leave P Manning off that list. Marino....He was great but no SB. That knocks him out of the top 5, IMHO.
Manning's great, but I can't put him in the top 5, YET.

Gotta go with Marino's passing numbers. They stand on their own. If I was basing it soleley on SB's, Either winning them or simply getting their team there, than I would have to put Rothlesberger, Kelly, Simms, Aikman, Young, Etc. above Marino and Manning also, eh?

aman to that.Like i said,Manning couldnt carry the jockstrap of any of those quarterbacks you just mentioned except for Marino maybe since Manning DID win a superbowl.with the expected NFL strike season,I would say its pretty safe to say mannings best years are behind him now.He isnt getting any younger. he will be 35 next year and thats OLD for a quarterback.38 is the average age the greats retire.Marino,Elway,Montana.Favre was the exception.

btw Jester,when the Rams moved away from LA,did you do like I did and turn to the chargers since they were the only california team left there who had the same colors of the rams?
Naaaaah, I'm just a fan in general now. I don't have a team. My team abandoned us. That team in St. Louis is not the Rams.

It sounds as though we're finally going to get a team here. The downtown site next to Staples is giving NFL execs a hard on.....We'll see.

Last edited:
Manning's great, but I can't put him in the top 5, YET.

Gotta go with Marino's passing numbers. They stand on their own. If I was basing it soleley on SB's, Either winning them or simply getting their team there, than I would have to put Rothlesberger, Kelly, Simms, Aikman, Young, Etc. above Marino and Manning also, eh?

aman to that.Like i said,Manning couldnt carry the jockstrap of any of those quarterbacks you just mentioned except for Marino maybe since Manning DID win a superbowl.with the expected NFL strike season,I would say its pretty safe to say mannings best years are behind him now.He isnt getting any younger. he will be 35 next year and thats OLD for a quarterback.38 is the average age the greats retire.Marino,Elway,Montana.Favre was the exception.

btw Jester,when the Rams moved away from LA,did you do like I did and turn to the chargers since they were the only california team left there who had the same colors of the rams?
Naaaaah, I'm just a fan in general now. I don't have a team. My team abandoned us. That team in St. Louis is not the Rams.

It sounds as though we're finally going to get a team here. The downtown site next to Staples is giving NFL execs a hard on.....We'll see.

I hope you are wrong,to me there is no other NFL team except the LA RAMS.the others are imposters.I want the rams there or no other NFL team in LA.Like you said,the team in st louis is not the rams.St Louis's REAL team is playing in arizona.Hell the fans dont even support that team In st Louis anymore.if they dont win,they abondoned that team,you can EASILY get a ticket to see that fake and phony team calling themselves the st louis rams in st louis,that stadium is half empty all the time.the LA rams are playing in st louis and the st louis cardinals are frauds playing in arizona calling themselves the arizona cardinals.the NFL is a joke the way they allow these teams to move.with this upcoming strike,i think i have pretty much had it with the NFL now.

I hope you are wrong,to me there is no other NFL team except the LA RAMS.the others are imposters.I want the rams there or no other NFL team in LA.Like you said,the team in st louis is not the rams.St Louis's REAL team is playing in arizona.Hell the fans dont even support that team In st Louis anymore.if they dont win,they abondoned that team,you can EASILY get a ticket to see that fake and phony team calling themselves the st louis rams in st louis,that stadium is half empty all the time.the LA rams are playing in st louis and the st louis cardinals are frauds playing in arizona calling themselves the arizona cardinals.the NFL is a joke the way they allow these teams to move.with this upcoming strike,i think i have pretty much had it with the NFL now.

Yea....and Brooklyn is still pretty pissed at you for stealing the Dodgers

1) John Elway

2) Johnny Unitas

3) Joe Montana

4) Dan Marino

5) Tom Brady

My list is similiar to yours.mine would be

1.Johnny Unitas.
2.Otto Graham.
3.Joe Montana.
4.John Elway
5.Fran Tarkenton
6.Dan Marino
7.Tom Brady.

Manning couldnt carry the jockstrap of ANY of these quarterbacks.

1) John Elway

2) Johnny Unitas

3) Joe Montana

4) Dan Marino

5) Tom Brady

1.Johnny Unitas.
2.Otto Graham.
3.Joe Montana.
4.John Elway
5.Fran Tarkenton
6.Dan Marino
7.Tom Brady.

My 6-10 in no particular order:
Kenny Stabler
Otto Graham
Roger Staubach
Bart Starr
Troy Aikman

And then the following who are great in their own right. Again in no particular order.
Len Dawson
Roman Gabriel
Peyton Manning
Don Meredith
Joe Namath
Steve Young
Phil Simms
Jim Kelly
Brett Favre
Jon Hadle
Terry Bradshaw
Dan Fouts

Peyton Manning before Joe Montana or Tom Brady is a joke.Manning was almost as bad as Marino was in the big games.Always stunk up the joint in the playoffs the majority of the time when it counted.The only reason he won the superbowl before was he was playing against a team that did not belong there in the chicago bears.The Bears defense and speacil teams is what carried them that far to the superbowl that year.Rex Grossman showed his true colors that he did have the mentality of a starting quarterback and is now a bench warmer.Once Manning had to face a REAL team in the superbowl who had a good quarterback and offense to play against,he was a joke.Manning cant carry Montana jockstrap.

So when Peyton Manning retires in a few years with ALL the passing records, I guess you will have to come up with another reason to leave him off the list.

Peyton Manning before Joe Montana or Tom Brady is a joke.Manning was almost as bad as Marino was in the big games.Always stunk up the joint in the playoffs the majority of the time when it counted.The only reason he won the superbowl before was he was playing against a team that did not belong there in the chicago bears.The Bears defense and speacil teams is what carried them that far to the superbowl that year.Rex Grossman showed his true colors that he did have the mentality of a starting quarterback and is now a bench warmer.Once Manning had to face a REAL team in the superbowl who had a good quarterback and offense to play against,he was a joke.Manning cant carry Montana jockstrap.

So when Peyton Manning retires in a few years with ALL the passing records, I guess you will have to come up with another reason to leave him off the list.

"Reason" is something rimjob is not familiar with.

1) John Elway

2) Johnny Unitas

3) Joe Montana

4) Dan Marino

5) Tom Brady

1.Johnny Unitas.
2.Otto Graham.
3.Joe Montana.
4.John Elway
5.Fran Tarkenton
6.Dan Marino
7.Tom Brady.

My 6-10 in no particular order:
Kenny Stabler
Otto Graham
Roger Staubach
Bart Starr
Troy Aikman

And then the following who are great in their own right. Again in no particular order.
Len Dawson
Roman Gabriel
Peyton Manning
Don Meredith
Joe Namath
Steve Young
Phil Simms
Jim Kelly
Brett Favre
Jon Hadle
Terry Bradshaw
Dan Fouts

Forgot to add a couple in the after 10 category:
Fran Tarkenton
Ben Roethlisberger
Kurt Warner
Boomer Esiasion
Archie Manning

Montana won titles with less than great talent around him : 1977 at Notre Dame and 1981 with the 49ers

Montana won titles with less than great talent around him : 1977 at Notre Dame and 1981 with the 49ers
Joe Montana had Bill Walsh....Without him, he would have been average.

Just look at what happened when he and Walsh parted ways. Total mediocrity.

But, I put him in the top 5 just because of the number of super bowls.

As far as the best QB of all time, based on pure talent, toughness, knowledge of the game, It's John Elway.

55-10

Montana vs Elway in SB 1990

Montana won 2 major bowls at ND

Elways never won in a bowl game at Stanford

55-10

Elway never had Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Roger Craig, Dwight Clark.

Put Elway on that team, and you've got more wins and super bowls.

Stanford was known as an academic school back then, not a football powerhouse. Unlike Notre Dame, they actually went to class, and had a tougher schedule than Notre Dame. Back then, Notre Dame had a patsy schedule.

Montana was great, Elway was greater.

As far as the best QB of all time, based on pure talent, toughness, knowledge of the game, It's John Elway.

Montana left SF and went to a mediocre Kansas City team. Even at the end of his career he guided them to the AFC Championship game. It is the last time KC has gone that far in the playoffs.

No doubt Elway is an all time great. But I can't strike the memory of Elway on the sidelines of that 55-10 drubbing in a total panic. Meanwhile, Joe Montana was laughing as he did whatever he wanted to.

Montana left SF and went to a mediocre Kansas City team. Even at the end of his career he guided them to the AFC Championship game. It is the last time KC has gone that far in the playoffs.

No doubt Elway is an all time great. But I can't strike the memory of Elway on the sidelines of that 55-10 drubbing in a total panic. Meanwhile, Joe Montana was laughing as he did whatever he wanted to.
3 words:

Walsh, Rice, Craig.

Without 'em, Montana is Steve DeBerg.

3 words:

Walsh, Rice, Craig.

Without 'em, Montana is Steve DeBerg.

Montana won no matter where he played or system he played

He won at Notre Dame
He won with a mediocre SF team in 81
He won with KC

55-10

Stanford was known as an academic school back then, not a football powerhouse. Unlike Notre Dame, they actually went to class, and had a tougher schedule than Notre Dame. Back then, Notre Dame had a patsy schedule.

Elway had HOF Shannon Sharpe; it wasn't as if he was throwing the ball to nobody...jeezus. I seem to remember them having an impressive running back a few years there too...Terrel Davis??

I will say this; the overall talent of the 49ers (especially the 89 team) was much higher than the average talent of the Broncos and any other team. I would argue that if you took Jerry Rice and put him on a lesser team, he'd been less spectacular--you can't double him when there is Taylor and Jones on the routes too and a game breaking running back in the backfield.

As for Notre Dame not playing a tough schedule...here is what one source says:
1978 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Schedule and Results | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
1978 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Statistics
School Index: Previous Year ▪ Next Year

Navigation:
Record: 9-3, .750 W-L% (15th of 138) (Schedule and Results)
Coach: Dan Devine (9-3)

PTS/G: 24.4 (35th of 138) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 16.4 (32nd of 138)
SRS: 19.72 (8th of 138) ▪ SOS: 11.81 (8th of 138)

Bowl Game: Won Cotton Bowl 35-34 versus Houston

8th hardest schedule isn't cheddar. They played Michigan, Tennessee, Purdue, Miami (FL), USC, among others that year on the way to winning the Cotton Bowl.

According to the same source, Montana had 72 carries that year...

Elway was a stud; Montana is a legend.

55-10

Elway had HOF Shannon Sharpe; it wasn't as if he was throwing the ball to nobody...jeezus. I seem to remember them having an impressive running back a few years there too...Terrel Davis??

I will say this; the overall talent of the 49ers (especially the 89 team) was much higher than the average talent of the Broncos and any other team. I would argue that if you took Jerry Rice and put him on a lesser team, he'd been less spectacular--you can't double him when there is Taylor and Jones on the routes too and a game breaking running back in the backfield.

As for Notre Dame not playing a tough schedule...here is what one source says:
1978 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Schedule and Results | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
1978 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Statistics
School Index: Previous Year ▪ Next Year

Navigation:
Record: 9-3, .750 W-L% (15th of 138) (Schedule and Results)
Coach: Dan Devine (9-3)

PTS/G: 24.4 (35th of 138) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 16.4 (32nd of 138)
SRS: 19.72 (8th of 138) ▪ SOS: 11.81 (8th of 138)

Bowl Game: Won Cotton Bowl 35-34 versus Houston

8th hardest schedule isn't cheddar. They played Michigan, Tennessee, Purdue, Miami (FL), USC, among others that year on the way to winning the Cotton Bowl.

According to the same source, Montana had 72 carries that year...

Elway was a stud; Montana is a legend.
Montana is a legend thanks to a great coach who designed an offense to make up for his lacks.. He's also a legend because he had the greatest receiver of all time. One of the greatest backs to catch the ball out of the backfield of all time. And a defense who kept the ball in the hands of the offense.

Elways is the greatest of all time based on pure talent. toughness, knowledge of the game. And the fact that many of those Denver teams weren't that great, but his talent alone made them perrenial contenders.

The premise of this thread is best quarterback......The best quarterback was John Elway.

Forum List

Back