John Lennon

The beatles suck anyway
Sorry to hear you have no ability to appreciate great art.
She loves me yeah yeah is not great art
Again, sorry you don't get it.
It was bubble gum pop at best the spice girls of the 60s
Right, and that's why the Spice Girls are a bunch of has-beens, and the remaining Beatles are still recording, selling records, and touring, some 40 years later, right?
It is a free country, and you are free to have your opinion, however, the facts are against you...

The beatles suck anyway

However... Yesterday is one of the most widely-covered and beautifully classical musical pieces of our time. Go figure? :dunno:

Yes, they did produce a lot of pop music, especially early on, but there can be no arguing it was some of the most prolific pop ever produced and set records for sales that still stand today in some cases. They remain a benchmark for greatness and success in the music industry to this day.

I can remember a time in the mid 60s where it wasn't uncommon for the Top 5 songs in the country to all be Beatles songs. They were a phenomenal success and many people have tried to duplicate that without any luck. Some say it's because they were at the right place at the right time but I think there is more to it than that.

I like Paul. I like Wings too. :D

Funny story... back when my daughter was about 10, we would take these long road trips together. One of our "games" was to see how many bands she could name from hearing the song on the radio. And I would ask little trivia questions here and there as well. So, we heard a Paul McCartney song... she correctly identified it as such.

I said, "That's good! Now, do you know what was the name of the famous band he was a member of?"

She thought for a few moments and said........ "Wings?" lol

THAT is when I KNEW I was getting OLD! ;)

The beatles suck anyway

Try the fool on the hill, or Sgt pepper, or the white album, or let it be, etc. etc.

They were great and each made their own contribution after the Beatles broke up. All exept for poor old Ringo who just had to auction his drum kit. Mind you he got over a million dollars for it.

I like Paul. I like Wings too. :D

Funny story... back when my daughter was about 10, we would take these long road trips together. One of our "games" was to see how many bands she could name from hearing the song on the radio. And I would ask little trivia questions here and there as well. So, we heard a Paul McCartney song... she correctly identified it as such.

I said, "That's good! Now, do you know what was the name of the famous band he was a member of?"

She thought for a few moments and said........ "Wings?" lol

THAT is when I KNEW I was getting OLD! ;)

Lol. One of my guilty pleasures! :D Of course, I don't crank up Silly Love Songs.

i remember that day, i was in high school...

ode to john...

The beatles suck anyway

Try the fool on the hill, or Sgt pepper, or the white album, etc. etc.

They were great and each made their own contribution after the Beatles broke up. All exept for poor old Ringo who just had to auction his drum kit. Mind you he got over a million dollars for it.

It's interesting you say that about Ringo... he was actually the best actor of all the Beatles. He had several movie roles back in the day. He didn't win any Oscars but he wasn't that bad.

With their royalties, I doubt any of them or their families have had to do without.

The beatles suck anyway
Again, sorry you don't get it.
It was bubble gum pop at best the spice girls of the 60s
Right, and that's why the Spice Girls are a bunch of has-beens, and the remaining Beatles are still recording, selling records, and touring, some 40 years later, right?
It is a free country, and you are free to have your opinion, however, the facts are against you...

Lol. I don't think I've heard anyone compare the Beatles to the Spice Girls before. :rofl:

It's interesting you say that about Ringo... he was actually the best actor of all the Beatles. He had several movie roles back in the day. He didn't win any Oscars but he wasn't that bad.

With their royalties, I doubt any of them or their families have had to do without.

I read he had a small role in a cowboy film, but I have never seen it. But the other three Beatles made a lot of albums in their own right after they split up. I had most of their various albums and enjoyed them all. But Ringo cannot have made as much money out of the Beatles as the rest of them because he did not write the songs, and most of their money came from the royalties. I don't think Ringo was in for a share of that.

I read he had a small role in a cowboy film, but I have never seen it. But the other three Beatles made a lot of albums in their own right after they split up. I had most of their various albums and enjoyed them all. But Ringo cannot have made as much money out of the Beatles as the rest of them because he did not write the songs, and most of their money came from the royalties. I don't think Ringo was in for a share of that.

I'm pretty sure anything he did with The Beatles is covered by royalties. IMDb lists him with 38 acting credits but that includes all the Beatles films and a bunch of voice and narration. Since the 90s, most of his work has been in children's programming... but still, it's a paycheck.

I remember the movie he did as a caveman. He was also in several 'made-for-TV' movies.

The beatles stopped touring in 1966 how can any band be called the greatest if they don't perform live and the very short time they did perform live they only played for about 30 minutes a show the mark of a great band is their live performances

They were the first made for merchandising band so in that sense they might have been ground breaking but

The beatles stopped touring in 1966 how can any band be called the greatest if they don't perform live and the very short time they did perform live they only played for about 30 minutes a show the mark of a great band is their live performances

They were the first made for merchandising band so in that sense they might have been ground breaking but

The Beatles had an un- measurable influence on our entire culture. They took us from their original pop songs to a wide range of musical styles. For another thing they created an interest in eastern religious philosophy that did not exist in England before them. I think now that most of that was the influence of George Harrison. He created an interest in Indian music, and played the sitar himself. He also donated a manor house to the Harry Krishna movement.

The Beatles had an un- measurable influence on our entire culture. They took us from their original pop songs to a wide range of musical styles. For another thing they created an interest in eastern religious philosophy that did not exist in England before them. I think now that most of that was the influence of George Harrison. He created an interest in Indian music, and played the sitar himself. He also donated a manor house to the Harry Krishna movement.
You do know that half of their songs on every album up until Help were covers right?

And that Indian music thing is a stretch how many people are playing the sitar these days

Well I've never claimed they were "the greatest" but I do think they are in most people's Top 5. My personal "greatest" is the Rolling Stones... how can anyone argue? :dunno:

Yes, they exploited their phenomenal success to promote merch... that's smart, in my opinion. But objectively looking at their body of work in terms of music, they pretty much ran the gamut. They did many things for the first time... reverse tracking... overdubbing, etc. Introduced new instruments to popular music... explored experimental ideas that no one else dared to try... Now, that may not seem to be such a big deal but at the time it was huge.

Then, there is the magnanimity of the songwriting duo of Lennon/McCartney... again, in most people's Top 5 or better. The fact that we're even having this argument all these years later is a testament to their profound influence on music.

Forum List

Back