John Lennon

The beatles suck anyway
Sorry to hear you have no ability to appreciate great art.
She loves me yeah yeah is not great art

Try the fool on the hill, or Sgt pepper, or the white album, or let it be, etc. etc.

They were great and each made their own contribution after the Beatles broke up. All exept for poor old Ringo who just had to auction his drum kit. Mind you he got over a million dollars for it.
I wouldn't feel too sorry for poor old Ringo. He released 15 albums after they broke up and is worth $350 million.
Ringo Starr Net Worth

:lol:

MUSICALLY-OBLIVIOUS-8TH-GRADER-JOHN-LEMON-IS-MY-FAVORITE-BEETLE.jpg

The beatles suck anyway

Try the fool on the hill, or Sgt pepper, or the white album, or let it be, etc. etc.

They were great and each made their own contribution after the Beatles broke up. All exept for poor old Ringo who just had to auction his drum kit. Mind you he got over a million dollars for it.
I wouldn't feel too sorry for poor old Ringo. He released 15 albums after they broke up and is worth $350 million.
Ringo Starr Net Worth

If you get a chance to see one of his All Star shows they are well worth the price of admission

There have been 4 major events in rock that changed the direction of music (and the world) ...

The first one was...

The second one was...

The third one was...

The fourth one was...

I am with you on the first two, not so sure on the other two... Could you explain why you think this way?
In 1966, people were pretty used to the Beatles and the British invasion in general. Let me back up, the basic principle is seeing something for the first time, getting used to it, then seeing something coming out of left field that just knocks your socks off!

After Bill Hailey started the genre with Rock around the Clock, a lot of bubble gum copy bands sprouted up, then Elvis comes along, a white guy singing black blues. I won't even get into the stuff going on below his waist. But after this, Elvis went into the army and the groups that followed (with the exception of the Beach Boys), were not very good.

I believe Neil Sedaca had the No.1 song in the country the night we heard those memorable words by Ed Sulliven, "Ladies and gentlemen, the Beatles!"
That's when the world personally changed for me. I was 7 years old and before the night was over, I threw out the butch wax and was trying to comb my hair over my eyes.

But after that, people got used to that and the Beatles music got more complex. Then, just like before, coming out of left field, you hear those first few chords of Purple Haze and wham, you start hearing sounds you never thought a guitar could make. You saw things being done to a guitar you never imagined anyone would do. I mean, when was the first time you saw a guy fuck his guitar on stage; or play it with his teeth; or behind his back; or while doing summersaults; or lighting it on fire in effigy?

There was a saying that Hendrix was the first black man, attractive to white women. He blew the socks off Clapton, Beck, Townsend; that's not a cliché, that's what those people actually said. After Hendrix, music became more hard and driving. And consequently, we started getting bands like Led Zeppellin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Ten Years After, The Cream, etc.

Then the '70's came along and everything sucked. The only good bands during that time were the Eagles and Zep.

The '80's weren't that good either. You had The Boss, but you also had all those "hair bands". Way too much glam. And what came out of that?

Grunge!

Nirvana was the anti-hair band band. The played in t-shirts and billybong shorts and sang songs that were protesting against the status quo. And just like all the others, we start getting bands like Stone Temple Pilots and a bunch more I don't even know the names of.

Disclaimer: In no way was I inferring anything detrimental to Guns n Roses. I know they were a great band.

I believe Neil Sedaca had the No.1 song in the country the night we heard those memorable words by Ed Sulliven, "Ladies and gentlemen, the Beatles!"
It was "There, I've said it again" by that little queer Bobby Vinton. Hated that guy!

The beatles suck anyway

Ringo Starr Net Worth

And the S.O.B. also got daisy duke..

There have been 4 major events in rock that changed the direction of music (and the world) ...

The first one was...

The second one was...

The third one was...

The fourth one was...

As much as I appreciate and respect Hendrix and Nirvana, I disagree that they changed the direction of rock music. One and two are solid... no argument there. My #3 would be Micheal Jackson and #4... not sure there is one.

The first one was...

The second one was...

The third one was...

The fourth one was...

As much as I appreciate and respect Hendrix and Nirvana, I disagree that they changed the direction of rock music. One and two are solid... no argument there. My #3 would be Micheal Jackson and #4... not sure there is one.

Gotta go with Hendrix over Jackson. Micheal was more pop, and the "King" of it at that, but pop none the less. As for Nirvana, the logic is solid, but I have to disagree that they, alone, changed the direction of rock, I would have to go with the grunge sub-genre as a whole. One may be able to make the argument that Tom Petty set the stage for grunge to really take hold, in the "counter-culture" sort of way. I will admit that Petty was more "skater" than grunge though. Number 4, tough to narrow it to one band/person, time will tell.

Gotta go with Hendrix over Jackson. Micheal was more pop, and the "King" of it at that, but pop none the less. As for Nirvana, the logic is solid, but I have to disagree that they, alone, changed the direction of rock, I would have to go with the grunge sub-genre as a whole. One may be able to make the argument that Tom Petty set the stage for grunge to really take hold, in the "counter-culture" sort of way. I will admit that Petty was more "skater" than grunge though. Number 4, tough to narrow it to one band/person, time will tell.
You can also make the argument Bob Dylan recorded the first rap song.

"Johnnies in the basement,
mixin' up the medicine..."

I'm going off of memory and I remember Hendrix was a big, big deal. Huge.

44 Years Later, Jimi Hendrix Is Still the Most Influential Guitarist of All Time
Hendrix's impact on music history is so vast and multifaceted, we often forget his career only spanned four years. In those four years, he became the most influential guitar player who ever lived.

I can't stand Michael Jackson. The only song I like by him, is the one with Eddie Van Halen. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest thing Jackson did, was steal the copyrights to Beatle songs from Paul McCartney.

Well I am not a big fan of MJs music but I think he influenced rock music. Hendrix was a great guitarist but he didn't really "change" music. As for tagging MJ with the "pop" label... so what? You think Elvis wasn't pop? The Beatles, particularly in their early days, were pure pop. Pop is the predecessor of rock-n-roll. It somehow became a pejorative term used by rock purists but without it, you wouldn't have ever had rock.

The only possible knock I could have on John Lennon, is for God sake man, don't try to play a lead solo (about 3:30 in the video), when you're standing next to Eric Clapton!

The change between the 1st and 2nd leads is so dramatic, it has to be one of the most embarrassing moments of Lennon's life.

I had a friend who was at Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. He told me, after the Who, people started leaving, because they didn't think anyone could follow that set. Then Hendrix comes out and people were literally climbing the walls to get back in.

I have been playing piano for... 42 years, 43 years soon.

John Lennon, and Sir Paul, are two of my three musical idols. Each for their own reason and style. Paul is easy to understand why, beautiful melodic verses and tunes... Absolute genius and showman!

But John, was the itch that drove the Beatles. And he was the man. And he was not politically correct. Someone once told me a story, where they met John at a concert backstage, and the guy told him he loves him. And John asked, totally deadpan, "why?" I don't know the validity of that story, but it sounds so typical of John.

Now, another friend of mine here in AZ, is a great harp player, though a bit older than me. He doesn't make a living playing the harp, but he used to make money on the side playing the harp when he was young and needed the money! Like me with the piano! He used to play outside of the Waldorf, where he worked in the kitchen. And John came by one day and talked to him. And asked him to play more. And said he would use a harp in a future song because of his admiration for the instrument. That day never came. But I truly believe him, because he's really good! Gosh... imagine John came up to me and asked me to play more piano because he liked it so much!!! This friend of mine had an awesome life event happen, that i could only dream of.... Thanks to John, and him not being a dick, and enjoying a street-musician.

Forum List

Back