John Prine, legendary singer/songwriter died today

His songs were like intimate correspondences with his audience...revealing things about everyday life that get missed.

My younger brother has been a huge fan of John Prine since the 1970's. Never knew how he first caught onto Prine, but got a hint the day after the announced death when he posted on Facebook the opening credits to a TV show that I had never heard of.

<iframe width="963" height="722" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"The life and legacy of John Prine will be celebrated later this week with a star-studded livestream tribute concert. Presented by the folk legend's own family, "Picture Show" promises appearances from #SturgillSimpson, #KaceyMusgraves, Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires, My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James, Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys, Bonnie Raitt, and Brandi Carlile.⁠

Also Eric Church, Sara Watkins, Kurt Vile, Vince Gill, Margo Price, Courtney Marie Andrews, Fiona Whelan Prine, Jack Prine, Tommy Prine, John Paul White, and The Secret Sisters. Additionally, Prine's own longtime backing band -- that's Kenneth Blevins, David Jacques, Fats Kaplin, Jason Wilber -- is participating.⁠

The virtual event will also be "attended" by actors and TV personalities such as #BillMurray, Rita Wilson, and #StephenColbert, as well as Billy Bob Thornton, Kevin Bacon, and Kyra Sedgwick. "Rare and never-before-seen footage of John himself" will also be broadcast.⁠ "

“Picture Show: A Tribute Celebrating John Prine” officially airs Thursday, June 11th at 7:30 p.m. EDT via Prine’s YouTube, Facebook and Twitch channels.

Not surprise Sturgill is involved. They share an office in Nashville.

"The late John Prine, who died earlier this year of COVID-19, has received an unprecedented posthumous honor: He’s the first person to be named Illinois’ honorary poet laureate. "

"The late John Prine, who died earlier this year of COVID-19, has received an unprecedented posthumous honor: He’s the first person to be named Illinois’ honorary poet laureate. "
Was proud to have him living and working in my state, also.

Forum List

Back