Kamala Harris’s Dishonesty on Abe Lincoln

Point was, he didn't try to Ram one through before an election, Axis Mikey.
Point is, you would excuse anything and everything said or done by anyone you support because you are a sheep.

Given all that Trump has said and done, and how many people are dead as a result, you might want to look at that post and realize that you have just described yourself. You're willing to support the lies, the disease, the death, the corruption and the abuse of power.

Pot, kettle, black.
Not a Trump thread, Chowderhead.

Who is responsible for the Supreme Court nomination? Who is pushing the Senate to get her approved before the election? Who is driving everything that is happening around that nominations. Any discussions of the Supreme Court nomination that ignores Trump and his role in this fiasco, won't have much to say.

Trump drives everything that is happening in this matter. Given your total dearth of critical thinking skills, I don't expect you to understand that. Chowderhead. One of the sports New England area teams fans call themselves "chowderheads". You can't even insult someone effectively.
Uh... you realize that numerous SCOTUS appointments happened in the last year of a President?
Right? But I get it. It only matters to you now... well.. because Orange man bad.
I 100% guarantee if Hillary would have won instead... you would be saying precisely the opposite. Of that, there is no doubt. Because you are a sheep.

Not after the campaigns started. No President has EVER tried to push through a nominee in the middle of Presidential election campaign.

Trump keeps trying to normalize all of the unprecedented crap he tries to pull. Obama separated children so he's just doing what Obama did. Obama didn't take babies away or lose them. Nor did he lock them up for years in dirty and unsafe conditions.

No President has even done the things that Trump has attempted to do and stuff he is now trying to do, like overthrow the election if he loses. He will be going to jail for many of the corrupt and illegal things he's done. That's why he's desperate to get this judge appointed. He things she'll hand the election to him, even though, with a Republican majority on the Bench, Trump has yet to win a single case on his taxes or his administration that has gone to the SC.
No President has EVER tried to push through a nominee in the middle of Presidential election campaign.

1602256489917.png

Reagan nominated Robert Bork to the Supreme Court in early July, 1988 BEFORE either of the nominating conventions. The Senate rejected Bork's nomination on October 23rd, and Reagan didn't nominate his replacement until November 11, 1988 - AFTER the election.

In all of cases since the Civil War, no SC nomination has been made AFTER the nominating conventions. Trump's nomination of ACB is a total outlier.

And obviously Lincoln's party controlled the senate before and after the election. But it's nice that Mike participated.

And even then, it's a little bit more complicated that portrayed. During the civil war and reconstruction the gop senate maneuvered to change the size of the court from 9 to 7 and then 9 even 10

Last edited:

Reagan nominated Robert Bork to the Supreme Court in early July, 1988 BEFORE either of the nominating conventions. The Senate rejected Bork's nomination on October 23rd, and Reagan didn't nominate his replacement until November 11, 1988 - AFTER the election.

In all of cases since the Civil War, no SC nomination has been made AFTER the nominating conventions. Trump's nomination of ACB is a total outlier.
Since you hate Trump so much you should move to another country............oh wait.

Someone might want to tell Kamala Harris that she needs to get her American history straight. During her debate with Mike Pence, she claimed that Abraham Lincoln said it would be wrong to fill the Supreme Court vacancy that opened up 27 days before the 1864 election.

First of all, Lincoln said no such thing.

Second, back then, Congress was in recess from July 4 until December 5, i.e., until after the election--so there would have been no point in nominating anyone to fill the vacancy before the election.

Third, Lincoln submitted his nominee on December 6, the day after Congress returned. He did not wait for the new Congress to take office (which, back then, did not happen until March).
Dat ho lies a lot.

Can you read? Do you understand English? Why or how would/could Lincoln have "rammed through" a nominee when Congress was in recess? Even if he had wanted or needed to do so, he could not have done so because there was no Congress around to consider the nomination. Do you understand this basic fact?

Furthermore, you ignored the fact that he did not wait until the new Congress was seated: he submitted his nominee on December 6, the day after the lame-duck Congress returned, and three months before the new Congress was seated.

FYI, for those of you who don't know this guy JoeB131, he is a proud Maoist who has said, no kidding, that Mao Tse Tung brought peace and stability to China, that the Chinese Communists were better than the Chinese Nationalists, and that Joseph Stalin should not be "demonized," among other jaw-droppers.

And his stupid "Axis Mikey" drivel is based on the fact that I think we could and should have avoided war with Japan and that we should have focused on destroying Stalin's Russia before destroying Nazi Germany.

Someone might want to tell Kamala Harris that she needs to get her American history straight. During her debate with Mike Pence, she claimed that Abraham Lincoln said it would be wrong to fill the Supreme Court vacancy that opened up 27 days before the 1864 election.

Second, back then, Congress was in recess from July 4 until December 5, i.e., until after the election--so there would have been no point in nominating anyone to fill the vacancy before the election.

Third, Lincoln submitted his nominee on December 6, the day after Congress returned. He did not wait for the new Congress to take office (which, back then, did not happen until March).

Very interesting. I want very much to give your post a thumbs up, however you site no authoritative source for the information you supplied. Any chance of getting a link so I can confirm the validity of what you say? Thanks

" Although Lincoln could have named a nominee prior to the 1864 election, he could not have filled the open Supreme Court seat prior to that event. When Taney died, Congress had been in recess since July 4, and would not reconvene until Dec. 5, so Lincoln had no opportunity to designate a successor and have that person confirmed by the Senate prior to the Nov. 8 presidential election. "

".......he could not have filled the open Supreme Court seat prior to that event."......"so Lincoln had no opportunity to designate a successor and have that person confirmed by the Senate prior to the Nov. 8 presidential election. "

That is not necessarily true. According to the Constitution, Article II, Section 3, the President of the United States has the power to "on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses or either of them."

President Lincoln could have called the Senate back to act on his nominee if he had chosen to make one. Given he was in the fight of his life for reelection and in the middle of a little conflict known as the Civil War, I think he just had more pressing things than nominating a Supreme Court Justice at that time.

President Lincoln could have called the Senate back to act on his nominee if he had chosen to make one.

And how long would that have taken?

( I believe the airports were booked solid.)

And? All you have to do is simply show everyone in here where in the Constitution of the United states where it says that a President shall not make appointment to the SC after the nominating conventions have taken place in an election year....

I'll wait.

Point is, you would excuse anything and everything said or done by anyone you support because you are a sheep.

Given all that Trump has said and done, and how many people are dead as a result, you might want to look at that post and realize that you have just described yourself. You're willing to support the lies, the disease, the death, the corruption and the abuse of power.

Pot, kettle, black.
Not a Trump thread, Chowderhead.

Who is responsible for the Supreme Court nomination? Who is pushing the Senate to get her approved before the election? Who is driving everything that is happening around that nominations. Any discussions of the Supreme Court nomination that ignores Trump and his role in this fiasco, won't have much to say.

Trump drives everything that is happening in this matter. Given your total dearth of critical thinking skills, I don't expect you to understand that. Chowderhead. One of the sports New England area teams fans call themselves "chowderheads". You can't even insult someone effectively.
Uh... you realize that numerous SCOTUS appointments happened in the last year of a President?
Right? But I get it. It only matters to you now... well.. because Orange man bad.
I 100% guarantee if Hillary would have won instead... you would be saying precisely the opposite. Of that, there is no doubt. Because you are a sheep.

Not after the campaigns started. No President has EVER tried to push through a nominee in the middle of Presidential election campaign.

Trump keeps trying to normalize all of the unprecedented crap he tries to pull. Obama separated children so he's just doing what Obama did. Obama didn't take babies away or lose them. Nor did he lock them up for years in dirty and unsafe conditions.

No President has even done the things that Trump has attempted to do and stuff he is now trying to do, like overthrow the election if he loses. He will be going to jail for many of the corrupt and illegal things he's done. That's why he's desperate to get this judge appointed. He things she'll hand the election to him, even though, with a Republican majority on the Bench, Trump has yet to win a single case on his taxes or his administration that has gone to the SC.

"Not after the campaigns started. No President has EVER tried to push through a nominee in the middle of Presidential election campaign."

Unless you mean to suggest that no campaigning starts until the day before election day, you need to get a clue or stop your Liberal, Democrat, delusional lying.

It Is Not Fair GIF - ItIs NotFair Crying GIFs

Igor Volsky, a staffer at the liberal Center for American Progress, responded with a tweet listing justices who have been confirmed in election years:

1. Oliver Ellsworth, 1796
  2. Samuel Chase, 1796
  3. William Johnson, 1804
  4. Philip Barbour, 1836
  5. Roger Taney, 1836
  6. Melville Fuller, 1888
  7. Lucius Lamar, 1888
  8. George Shiras, 1892
  9. Mahlon Pitney, 1912
  10. John Clarke, 1916
  11. Louis Brandeis, 1916
  12. Benjamin Cardozo, 1932
  13. Frank Murphy, 1940
  14. Anthony Kennedy, 1988

Volsky also listed Salmon Chase, Ward Hunt, and William Woods, but their nominations all occurred in December — after the presidential election had already happened — so it's not fair to count them as election-year choices.

Very interesting. I want very much to give your post a thumbs up, however you site no authoritative source for the information you supplied. Any chance of getting a link so I can confirm the validity of what you say? Thanks

" Although Lincoln could have named a nominee prior to the 1864 election, he could not have filled the open Supreme Court seat prior to that event. When Taney died, Congress had been in recess since July 4, and would not reconvene until Dec. 5, so Lincoln had no opportunity to designate a successor and have that person confirmed by the Senate prior to the Nov. 8 presidential election. "

".......he could not have filled the open Supreme Court seat prior to that event."......"so Lincoln had no opportunity to designate a successor and have that person confirmed by the Senate prior to the Nov. 8 presidential election. "

That is not necessarily true. According to the Constitution, Article II, Section 3, the President of the United States has the power to "on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses or either of them."

President Lincoln could have called the Senate back to act on his nominee if he had chosen to make one. Given he was in the fight of his life for reelection and in the middle of a little conflict known as the Civil War, I think he just had more pressing things than nominating a Supreme Court Justice at that time.

President Lincoln could have called the Senate back to act on his nominee if he had chosen to make one.

Give him a break... He doesn't understand that they used horses and buggies at that time and journies took weeks...

I really don't think packing is politically a wise move … unless the SC goes completely ballistic in ignoring equal protection and promoting the interests of the 1% to the point that the public demands it.

But more likely the "new" SC will just relegislate issues. It could give the dems a new issue for senate races.

"( I believe the airports were booked solid.)"

That may be true, but I think you are forgetting about the recent invention of the Transporter.
1602257922156.gif

1602257652530.gif

Since you hate Trump so much you should move to another country............oh wait.

Yeah and what a relief that is. Despite our Fall Spike, made worse by school reopenings, we had 2,400 cases yesterday, our worst spike in cases since we re-opened, and we're going back to Phase 2 shut down as a result. The USA had 54,000 cases yesterday. Even allowing for population differences that's nearly triple what we had in Canada. But we're still under 10,000 dead, and we only had 16 deaths yesterday. We have fewer than 20,000 active cases. The USA has 2.5 million - 10 times the number of infections as Canada.

We've pretty much living our normal lives since July, with masks being required in all indoor spaces. No gatherings over 20 people, but otherwise, living, working and socializing. The twice weekly senior card games at the local coffee house have even come back, although I'm not going to any live card games anytime soon, and I love playing card, especially poker.

Of course I live in a resort town which is always great in summer, even when all summer festivals are cancelled. The biggest complaint around here is that we couldn't go to the beach. The private beaches at the lakeside RV parks, were closed to non-season pass holders. That closed down the two best beaches in the county. The provincial park beach closed completely in the shutdown. The remaining public beach wasn't sandy or clean. The closest free public beach, is just over the country line less than 10 miles away. It's only open to residents of the jurisdiction next door to us, even though we are the closest town to the beach. People from towns 30 miles away can use it. We can't. Residents here are outraged.

That this is the biggest covid related issue in our county, makes me so grateful for competence governance and leaders who listen to the scientists. Oh, and we had to wait two weeks to got to Phase II because a planeload of Mexicans came in to work at one of the greenhouses 50 miles from our town, but in our Public Health District, and they all got the crud after they arrived here. We weren't impressed.

Harris's statement was false in that Lincoln chose not to name a nominee because he wanted to entice Salmon Chase to support his reelection. And confirmation had to wait for the election anyway.

But for the gop to bleat about court packing ….. hilarious

Yeah and what a relief that is. Despite our Fall Spike, made worse by school reopenings, we had 2,400 cases yesterday, our worst spike in cases since we re-opened, and we're going back to Phase 2 shut down as a result. The USA had 54,000 cases yesterday. Even allowing for population differences that's nearly triple what we had in Canada. But we're still under 10,000 dead, and we only had 16 deaths yesterday. We have fewer than 20,000 active cases. The USA has 2.5 million - 10 times the number of infections as Canada.

We've pretty much living our normal lives since July, with masks being required in all indoor spaces. No gatherings over 20 people, but otherwise, living, working and socializing. The twice weekly senior card games at the local coffee house have even come back, although I'm not going to any live card games anytime soon, and I love playing card, especially poker.

Of course I live in a resort town which is always great in summer, even when all summer festivals are cancelled. The biggest complaint around here is that we couldn't go to the beach. The private beaches at the lakeside RV parks, were closed to non-season pass holders. That closed down the two best beaches in the county. The provincial park beach closed completely in the shutdown. The remaining public beach wasn't sandy or clean. The closest free public beach, is just over the country line less than 10 miles away. It's only open to residents of the jurisdiction next door to us, even though we are the closest town to the beach. People from towns 30 miles away can use it. We can't. Residents here are outraged.

That this is the biggest covid related issue in our county, makes me so grateful for competence governance and leaders who listen to the scientists. Oh, and we had to wait two weeks to got to Phase II because a planeload of Mexicans came in to work at one of the greenhouses 50 miles from our town, but in our Public Health District, and they all got the crud after they arrived here. We weren't impressed.
Kung Flu Death rates:

USA: 2.78%
Canada with Gubmint run healthcare: 5.42%

Forum List

Back