Kids need a return to old school discipline

GMCGeneral

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2020
For me to know and you not to find out.

Ever since Dr. Benjamin Spock rolled out his psychobabble approach to parenting in 1946, generations have been adversely affected by this so called "spare the rod" idea. I think if parents really cared about their children, it might not be so bad to apply the "belt of wisdom" to the " seat of knowledge". In fact, we would have far more respect for authority today if kids realized there were consequences to their actions, be they good or bad.

Ever since Dr. Benjamin Spock rolled out his psychobabble approach to parenting in 1946, generations have been adversely affected by this so called "spare the rod" idea. I think if parents really cared about their children, it might not be so bad to apply the "belt of wisdom" to the " seat of knowledge". In fact, we would have far more respect for authority today if kids realized there were consequences to their actions, be they good or bad.

there are some of us out there that the only way to get the message across is a good ole ass whoopin,,,

there are some of us out there that the only way to get the message across is a good ole ass whoopin,,,

"The Regular, the Super or the Big Mac"?

Thing is, these little punks roaming around today would have done better if a few more belts were peeled off and applied.

I've had a little of all of them,, from both mom and dad,,

Thing is, these little punks roaming around today would have done better if a few more belts were peeled off and applied.

the key is to never do it in anger,, both my parents were very calm and direct about it and why,,,

the key is to never do it in anger,, both my parents were very calm and direct about it and why,,,

You see that in the way Florida (Esther Rolle) comforted Eddie and explained why James had to discipline him.

It's a fine line. It definitely depends on the child and the situation.

My dad was pretty fierce with me, what would be considered abuse by todays standards for sure. The odd spanking, but the hard backhand to the face when I didn't even know why was most emotionally and psychologically the worst.

If you want to lay out punishment, you had better crystal clear as to why and the expectations
. I would shake when I heard my dad come home from work every single day as a kid. He might never know this, but he had to know it affected me.

If I were being self aware, I believe I am an upstanding adult and particularly fearless in the face of a perceived wrong. Probably to the point from an evolutionary standpoint of it being a gene that should be in regression, hah. When the cards are dealt against you from birth and it's one battle after another, you go one way or another. Better me to be headstrong on principle than a career criminal.

Here is where it becomes grey, adults today are poor role models, many emotionally out of control themselves, we can't expect kids to be any different, especially when no rules are enforced on authority.

As they say about a bad dog, they just had a bad owner. Parents are usually, not always (especially with so many outside influences and meddling) to blame for the end product. It's never an easy job, especially in todays society.

*raises hand*

My Jr high principal hit us with a paddle full of holes.

my first grade teacher did the same thing,, my last paddling was in 10th grade,,

Indeed.

Those holes ensured the most aerodynamic strokes :laughing0301:

The holes allow for less air resistance, thus higher velocity, I think there was a scientific equation for that somewhere. Sounds like we went to the same school.

my first grade teacher did the same thing,, my last paddling was in 10th grade,,

For me and my brothers, we didn't get paddled in school. But, if we did something that warranted the "Triple B" session in my parent's bedroom, it was my dad who administered the discipline. And it was rare.

It cant be done today. It would be called racism or something.. but I do know back then, no one talked out of turn in class.. rarely. Kids actually studied in class.

Parents need to enforce discipline not schools. Schools need to teach kids how to think and reason and respect the greatest and the only Country in the world that guarantees certain freedoms. Parents can teach them how to put a condom on a banana.

No, going back to the old times would be ridiculous. But we do need to change things and make it INTELLIGENT.

A bill of rights AND responsibilities would be better. People should know their responsibilities in society. Right now there seem to be none.

Especially when it comes to the responsibilities of parents. Parents have a responsibility towards their children. But such a thing would take a lot of discussion and give and take to come up with something workable.

Forum List

Back