Labor shortage

Extended UI is ending with the schools reopening.

We've had shortages of skilled workers before the pandemic and before Biden

So I'm not all in with immigration (suppression). A closed border, yeah. And imo Biden's real fubar was letting amnesty applicants to come in and wait years for a court hearing.

With boomers aging out, we have a smaller workforce participation rate. Pre-trump, that was a concern for some gopers.

If wages/benefits go up, so will consumer costs. Maybe that's a good thing, but generally those who make less, and have kids consume more. But the dems are going to double the child tax credit, and imo that's not exactly a good thing ....

We are not going to compete with China’s pay scale regardless.
Employers have made massive profits over the last few decades. It has not trickled down to the workers

Now they are finding they have to if they want the best workers

Employers in every field are looking for the best workers and increasingly they are opting for robots. More productive and cheaper than the Chinese in products that are mass produced, and will work 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year without complaint. They never demand a raise and will not sue the employer even if damaged while on the job.

Where robotics was once considered too expensive, in the absence of available workers, investing in robotics has now become an option. Companies like McDonald's and Amazon are examples of the trend.

Even agriculture is moving towards replacing humans with robots. In a few short years migrant labor may no longer be necessary:

Employers in every field are looking for the best workers and increasingly they are opting for robots. More productive and cheaper than the Chinese in products that are mass produced, and will work 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year without complaint. They never demand a raise and will not sue the employer even if damaged while on the job.

Where robotics was once considered too expensive, in the absence of available workers, investing in robotics has now become an option. Companies like McDonald's and Amazon are examples of the trend.

Even agriculture is moving towards replacing humans with robots. In a few short years migrant labor may no longer be necessary:

Red Herring

If business could do your job with a robot, they would already be doing it

Red Herring

If business could do your job with a robot, they would already be doing it

They could have done your job years ago using a robot but it wasn't deemed cost effective. Where labor shortages abound the cost calculation has changed. Investment in robotics is now preferable to working short-handed or having to hire a less qualified candidate.

They could have done your job years ago using a robot but it wasn't deemed cost effective. Where labor shortages abound the cost calculation has changed. Investment in robotics is now preferable to working short-handed or having to hire a less qualified candidate.

Even if you were paying workers $2 an hour, they would replace you with a robot if they could

yet increased pay/benefits attracts workers. So, imo, your view is incomplete

I was referring to a poster who looks to govt as the savior. Give trinkets out of the treasury long enough and people will not work. I see jobs wanted signs everywhere, 20 bucks an hour to start, and they can't get people to work, however, the gravy train aint gonna last. We're in the final death throes of the dollar hence the blowout of the treasury.

WTF. Have you been in the liquor cabinet again? Sober up and try again.

I lived it

In the mid 70s I saw gas station attendants replaced with self service. Their $2 an hour pay did not save them

For decades we have been purposefully creating a massive IMBALANCE, by allowing high levels of immigration, legal and illegal.

Let this "Shortage" persist for an equal amount of time, say 50 years, and we can talk about balancing it out, with more immigration.

50 years of rising wages.... I like the sound of that.

I promise you, when the time comes, we can go back to the days of high immigration and stagnant wages, and unpaid overtime.

View attachment 532701

Then boycott grocery store fruits and vegetables to walk the walk....

I lived it

In the mid 70s I saw gas station attendants replaced with self service. Their $2 an hour pay did not save them

In many cases there was no pump attendant. Mechanics had to keep stopping to pump their gas. Station owners ran the calculator and figured out that even by selling gasoline cheaper, they still make out better because the mechanics were pumping out more repaired cars.

Even if you were paying workers $2 an hour, they would replace you with a robot if they could

Only if it were financially beneficial to the company. These robots don't cost a few thousand bucks. They are very expensive and maintenance and repairs no different.

When human labor costs more than automation investments, that's when the companies make such investments. It wouldn't make sense to do it any other way.

Extended UI is ending with the schools reopening.

We've had shortages of skilled workers before the pandemic and before Biden

Yes we did, but a shortage of workers in the best economy in 50 years makes sense. What doesn't make sense is how we have a labor shortage with a 5.5% unemployment rate.

It is a matter of creating a balance. The solution may be to have more paper pushers and more rules that allow as many workers into understaffed industries in as needed like nursing or lettuce picking for a year or two at a time and and in places where the shortages actually exist--basically employer-tied work visas--without the quota caps.

Which is exactly why the Democrats created this labor shortage. They want industry and consumers begging to get more products out that they'll make claim the only way to do this is to legalize all the intruders that broke into our country.

We used to have something called “Unions” that looked out for the rights of workers
Unions only ever looked out for their boss' interests and keeping unqualified dirtbags from being fired. Their petty demands helped pave the way for businesses to move offshore. They have been a blight in this country for decades.

In many cases there was no pump attendant. Mechanics had to keep stopping to pump their gas. Station owners ran the calculator and figured out that even by selling gasoline cheaper, they still make out better because the mechanics were pumping out more repaired cars.
I NEVER saw a mechanic stop what he was doing to pump gas.
They are paid too much
The guys pumping gas made minimum wage

Forum List

Back