Laid Off

Friends husband was just laid off from job he has had for 11 years.IT/Computer etc. Outsourcing entire department to Philippines! Oh the wonderful joys of Capitalism. Bosses get richer,long term SKILLED employees get the shaft and slaves do work for pennies in Philippines....or should I say indentured servants.He is filing for unemployment but that's not the point...its wrong and should be stopped.

The USA has the highest corporate tax rate in the entire world. Was your friend a union member? Why is there no US tax penalty for sending jobs overseas?

How do you propose to stop outsourcing when its the only way some companies can survive?

U.S. Corps make more money.

And U.S. Corps have more loopholes, tax rebates, and tax avoidance mechanisms.

U.S. Corps could continue to operate in the U.S., employ people here, provide health care, and still make a profit. They COULD if they wanted to.

They just wouldn't be able to pay out they type of dividends to stock holders they do. Or pay their CEO's as much.

That is the reality.
Why did the textile industry leave S. carolina, georgia, tenn, and alabama? any idea?
You've accidentally discredited your own point. Those southern states often brag and boast about their low to non existent taxes. Textile industries still left. Minimum wage in this country is a king's ransom in some third world shit-hole with the added caveat that third world countries also have near zero taxes to boot. But it doesn't matter all the same. Some corporations in this country pay zero taxes as it is because of loop-holes. Tax rates be damned.
Capitalists hate this beautiful individual ^

Would you statist lovers please tell me where this guy got the capitol that you say cannot be found by the lowest level of worker.........no one handed him anything......try doing what he did....and you'll be rich.....first...you have to stop bitching about the success of other people...so much easier to take someone elses stuff than to earn it yourself....

Chicago Tribune

Wilson is a Louisiana sharecropper's son who has said he left home at 13. He's a janitor who rose to owning McDonald's franchises and now heads a multimillion-dollar plastic glove distribution business.

"He's totally blind to obstacles," said Roland Jones, a former McDonald's corporate consultant who met Wilson in the 1970s and remains a friend.

"Willie Wilson is the kind of guy who 'no' means 'not now,'" Jones added. "If we said, 'You can't do this,' it means not immediately."

Wilson said his bedrock is his faith. He begins and ends public appearances, including debates, with a prayer.

"When a show goes out, people get saved," said Wilson, who added that he loses money on the broadcasts. "It's an inspiration."

"Most of it is because he didn't have the formal education. People didn't see him as an intelligent person," Jones said. "But Willie's very fortunate he didn't get a lot of formal education. It might have put a lid on his vision. He rises to the occasion. … I don't know of anything that he's set out to do that he hasn't done."

Wilson clearly has done a lot. In an interview in his penthouse apartment on East Wacker Drive, the 66-year-old recounted his humble beginnings.

Born into a Louisiana share-cropping family, Wilson said he left school in the seventh grade to help in the fields. He had a series of discouraging experiences working menial jobs in Florida and then later New York and Chicago, where he said he first arrived in 1965.

He ended up with an entry-level job at a McDonald's, which abruptly turned into a management position when other employees walked off the job and the owner gave Wilson a chance, according to Wilson and Jones.

Throughout the 1970s Wilson managed McDonald's stores for other people but wanted to own one. Without enough savings or the wherewithal to get financing, Wilson tried an unconventional tactic: he tracked down McDonald's founder Ray Kroc at a shareholders' meeting and asked the burger mogul for a store of his own.

According to Jones, Kroc took a liking to Wilson, partly because he himself had dropped out of school at an early age.

"Most people would not call Ray Kroc, or be as persistent in meeting him as Willie Wilson was," Jones said. At first, managers in McDonald's franchise department rejected Wilson's application because of his lack of education, Jones said. But Kroc overruled them, Jones said, and eventually Wilson opened his first McDonald's, on the South Side, around 1980.

Last edited:
Would you statist lovers please tell me where this guy got the capitol that you say cannot be found by the lowest level of worker.........no one handed him anything......try doing what he did....and you'll be rich.....first...you have to stop bitching about the success of other people...so much easier to take someone elses stuff than to earn it yourself....

Chicago Tribune
A man who lives In a first world capitalist and imperialist country happening to succeed by your standards.. Good to know.

Chicago Tribune
Now, how about the simple fact that only a minority can be capitalists, and that the third world developing to the point of us with labor protection, etc would destroy capitalists.

Chicago Tribune

Wilson is a Louisiana sharecropper's son who has said he left home at 13. He's a janitor who rose to owning McDonald's franchises and now heads a multimillion-dollar plastic glove distribution business.

"He's totally blind to obstacles," said Roland Jones, a former McDonald's corporate consultant who met Wilson in the 1970s and remains a friend.

"Willie Wilson is the kind of guy who 'no' means 'not now,'" Jones added. "If we said, 'You can't do this,' it means not immediately."

Wilson said his bedrock is his faith. He begins and ends public appearances, including debates, with a prayer.

"When a show goes out, people get saved," said Wilson, who added that he loses money on the broadcasts. "It's an inspiration."

"Most of it is because he didn't have the formal education. People didn't see him as an intelligent person," Jones said. "But Willie's very fortunate he didn't get a lot of formal education. It might have put a lid on his vision. He rises to the occasion. … I don't know of anything that he's set out to do that he hasn't done."

Wilson clearly has done a lot. In an interview in his penthouse apartment on East Wacker Drive, the 66-year-old recounted his humble beginnings.

Born into a Louisiana share-cropping family, Wilson said he left school in the seventh grade to help in the fields. He had a series of discouraging experiences working menial jobs in Florida and then later New York and Chicago, where he said he first arrived in 1965.

He ended up with an entry-level job at a McDonald's, which abruptly turned into a management position when other employees walked off the job and the owner gave Wilson a chance, according to Wilson and Jones.

Throughout the 1970s Wilson managed McDonald's stores for other people but wanted to own one. Without enough savings or the wherewithal to get financing, Wilson tried an unconventional tactic: he tracked down McDonald's founder Ray Kroc at a shareholders' meeting and asked the burger mogul for a store of his own.

According to Jones, Kroc took a liking to Wilson, partly because he himself had dropped out of school at an early age.

"Most people would not call Ray Kroc, or be as persistent in meeting him as Willie Wilson was," Jones said. At first, managers in McDonald's franchise department rejected Wilson's application because of his lack of education, Jones said. But Kroc overruled them, Jones said, and eventually Wilson opened his first McDonald's, on the South Side, around 1980.

Yeah...that evil capitalist Ray Kroc.....and willie wilson...where the hell was his silver spoon................he made it by working hard and believing in the capitalist system.....

You should try it....you might actually succeed........

Chicago Tribune
Now, how about the simple fact that only a minority can be capitalists, and that the third world developing to the point of us with labor protection, etc would destroy capitalists.

That is the beauty of capitalism.......everyone can be a capitalist......all you have to do is start a business and WHAM....you are a capitalist.....we need low taxes...limited government and then we will go forward the way we did for the first 200 years of our existence where we outperformed everyone in the world......

Chicago Tribune

Yeah...that evil capitalist Ray Kroc.....and willie wilson...where the hell was his silver spoon................he made it by working hard and believing in the capitalist system.....

I love the typical capitalist argument of OH EVERYONE JUST WURK HARDER. Of course a minority will manage to succeed, and then go on to exploit In massive numbers, if they're lucky enough.. Yeah, the capitalist clearly does what's In that article all the time for those in poverty, quit spewing rhetoric bullshit.

Chicago Tribune

That is the beauty of capitalism.......everyone can be a capitalist......all you have to do is start a business and WHAM....you are a capitalist.....we need low taxes...limited government and then we will go forward the way we did for the first 200 years of our existence where we outperformed everyone in the world......
Genius, your logic fails. If 500 million people decide to attempt to start a business. How many will succeed? And assuming they do succeed, how would the world function? Our first 200 years?? Remember the slavery, child labor, exploited women, horrid factory conditions, the genocide of native Americans... Hilarious, no wonder the capitalists did so well. Yeah, a minority will be capitalists and this divide gets worse as time goes on.. Sorry.

Working for fracking companies is both dirty and something I would not lower myself to do. Sorry, not a job that gives one pride. Skip that and find better work than that.

Apparently you don't understand the industry. There is a litany of opportunity associated with the oil and gas field, some get your hands dirty, some require a suit. And pride is measured by a good work ethic, and not sucking off of the government's teat.
The reward for a job well done is to have done it. Personally I like a man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. Maybe you're more suited to making marshmallows.

Last edited:

Chicago Tribune

Yep. Darn that Bill Gates for forcing computers on us all, and then giving away billions in charitable contributions. Darn that Danny Thomas for using his money to build St. Jude. And the nerve of that supreme capitalist, Warren Buffett for giving away his fortune to the less fortunate, instead of handing it down through the family. And that sister of his! Sitting around with her friends, hunting for those in need, to spend her money on. Carnegie building libraries, and halls for concerts. Who needs 'em.

At 76 years of age i'velost more toughness than u will ever have.

Then apparently you have missed my moniker. And because I am a little girl, who self propelled right through the glass ceiling, I'll call you on your toughness and raise you one. It's a man's world, which means I had to be twice as tough as you to reach the same plateau.
Take that Pops....

Last edited:
Friends husband was just laid off from job he has had for 11 years.IT/Computer etc. Outsourcing entire department to Philippines! Oh the wonderful joys of Capitalism. Bosses get richer,long term SKILLED employees get the shaft and slaves do work for pennies in Philippines....or should I say indentured servants.He is filing for unemployment but that's not the point...its wrong and should be stopped.
I'd bet the average sixth grader in the Philippines would score higher on an ACT type test than the typical American 12th grader.

I'd bet the entry level worker in the Philippines knows to get to work on time.

Your friend needs to retool, he obviously can't even compete with "slaves".

Tell your friend to embrace globalism and diversity, and get on management track at a fast food place.

Get to work on time? Yes... They however will only do the min required AND they will not stay to finish any work not done. Terrible work ethic.

Because American workers these days are so famous for their company loyalty and willingness to go above and beyond?

In the healthcare industry? Yes. This distributor was part of the disaster relief for Katrina and several other disasters. Customer service , warehouse workers and plenty of others worked around the clock to get supplies out.

Some might not be... But thatwas not the case here.
Many workers worldwide are not happy at their jobs, and don't feel like they care cared for, why the hell would they be motivated, although this example is a nice thing.

Oh, good God, the melodramatic feelz! "My boss doesn't care about me! *sob, sob*" When did we start thinking life was about everyone giving us snuggles, for crissakes?

Get to work on time? Yes... They however will only do the min required AND they will not stay to finish any work not done. Terrible work ethic.

Because American workers these days are so famous for their company loyalty and willingness to go above and beyond?

In the healthcare industry? Yes. This distributor was part of the disaster relief for Katrina and several other disasters. Customer service , warehouse workers and plenty of others worked around the clock to get supplies out.

Many workers worldwide are not happy at their jobs, and don't feel like they care cared for, why the hell would they be motivated, although this example is a nice thing.

Good thing they are replacing hard working and dedicated Americans with slackers then huh?
What do you mean? The heavily exploited workers in third world countries?

Yeah, damn us for providing them with jobs that allow them to be - at the least - part of their nation's middle class and to support their families in a growing, healthy economy.

The horror! We're such evil, exploitative bastards!

The plan is simple ...

Find what it is you really want to do ... What you love to do.
Bang the doors ... Go through the hardships it takes to prepare ... Gather the resources available to you.
Take the risk ... Jump in both feet first and prepare to fail.

If you fail ... Get back up ... Learn from your mistakes ... Make better preparations and gather better resources.
Use the wisdom you have gained and provide for better conditions should you fail again.
Take the risk ... Jump back in ... Wash and repeat until it kills you, or you succeed.

Success rate: 1 out of a million
Good job ignoring the fact that only a minority can be capitalists, and that billions will never be given the proper opportunities or education/pathways, and the limited amount of "middle class jobs" and all of the other shit, the fact is, most of these people just want to meet their nutritional needs, have guaranteed access to health care, make a decent wage to buy snacks for their children every couple of days... Wash and repeat until it kills you? - This is worthy of a signature. Oh, you were talking about rhetoric.. :stupid:

Actually it is one out of ten, businesses fail, so be prepared to fail nine times before you succeed. It gives you something to work for, it gives you a purpose.

And owning a business isn't the goal of everyone, my son loves doing HVAC work. My other son loves computer networking. They love what they do they both worked to get where they are at.
Measured in what countries? Yeah, people can obviously afford to fail 9 times... I know it's not the goal of everyone, I've been asserting this.

You said one out of a million, it is 1 out of 10 big difference.

And people do prepare to fail, they are called back up plans.
1 out of a million as a sarcastic number, I actually thought it was more like 3/10 or such, and are you taking into account all countries, including the third world. Yeah, people obviously are prepared to try and waste money multiple times to start a business when living in poverty..

The odds are significantly worse in non-capitalistic countries.

Good thing they are replacing hard working and dedicated Americans with slackers then huh?
What do you mean? The heavily exploited workers in third world countries?

Exploited? America is giving them jobs. They don't have to accept them.
Yeah, giving them jobs that pay barely anything their labor is worth, and taking their resources/not allowing them to rise up with labor reform/etc

Barely anything? For their nations and economies, those jobs pay extremely well. They pay less in real dollars than the same jobs in the US, that's true, but it costs exponentially less to live in those countries than it does here.

Why don't you go ask Japan, or Taiwan, or any of the other nations that were previously in the position that the Philippines is now, how exploited and oppressed and held down they were by those horrible American companies and jobs?

My mother-in-law was one of those "exploited" Third-World people. She was born and raised in Taiwan prior to the influx of American companies. Her family lived in a hut with dirt floors. She had a second-grade education. When she was 12, her parents sent her alone to Taipei to get a job and send money back to help support the family. All of this was quite common in the impoverished country Taiwan was back then. Most girls in that position became prostitutes. My mother-in-law joined a street gang.

Thanks to the industrialization of Taiwan through the advent of American companies looking for cheaper production costs, their economy grew at an average rate of 8% every year between the 1950s and the 1980s. The standard of living rose, and the massive gap between the few wealthy and the many poor shrank. Their average income level is now higher than that of Japan.

On the personal side, all of my MIL's siblings still live in Taiwan and have families. All of my ex's cousins have college degrees and good jobs with successful companies. They own nice homes with amenities comparable to those found in the average American home.

If she were still alive, I'd tell you to go talk to my MIL and tell her how "abused" Third World people are by American outsourcing. She'd have spit in your eye.

The USA has the highest corporate tax rate in the entire world. Was your friend a union member? Why is there no US tax penalty for sending jobs overseas?

How do you propose to stop outsourcing when its the only way some companies can survive?
No he was not union...unfortunately this happened in one of these fancy "right to work states" he has no rights.
shit like this belongs on the board?

whining republicans need to man up, and shut up.
I am not a republican neither is he.
Funny how everyone's so cool about capitalism until it bites them in their own ass.
I have NEVER enjoyed nor wanted capitalism...
Has he considered moving to the Philippines?
I suggested that but they said no lol...

You have never enjoyed capitalism? That's too bad. It seems the company and, apparently the Phillipines, enjoy capitalism. How about the fact that we are edging toward socialism, which is causing this unfortunate situation for your friend?
Oh god... Capitalism literally cannot sustain itself as time goes on, it's inevitable we progress towards socialism.

please list the successful socialist countries in the history of the world.
How are you defining success?

You don't know how to define success? That's pathetic. No wonder you're confused enough to be a Marxist.

Funny how some people never understand Capitalism is a "dog eat dog" system.
"You snooze, you loose" ... People have to stay ahead of the curve to survive in a Capitalistic system.

Perhaps they just need to understand that everyone cannot keep up.
It is still a matter of what you do when your part breaks ... Because it will (even if it is your own business).
It is also a matter of how you view the break ... And what it means to your ability to overcome.

Plenty of people get pissed off when their air conditioner fails ... They just fix it and move on.
They don't try to reorder the nature of events to eliminate the possibility of failure.

Humanity is a dog-eat-dog system. Do leftists expect us all to have a nice cry because surviving in life requires one to get up and work at it every day?

Forum List

Back