Lawmakers DESTROY thousands of low education jobs for the poor

The Truth About American Poverty

The poor in America are stereotyped and demonized in an effort to justify huge cuts in food stamps and other crucial programs for low-income Americans.

“People are working and they’re not getting paid enough to feed their families, pay their utilities, pay for their housing, pay for the healthcare… if you’re not paying people enough to pay for the basics, they’re going to need help getting food,” Kaufmann tells Bill. “There are a lot of corporations that want to be involved in the fight against hunger. The best thing they can do is get on board for fair wages.”

BILL MOYERS: There are almost 48 million people using food stamps a day, and over recent years that’s a 70 percent increase. What does your own reporting tell you about why?

GREG KAUFMANN: Well, the biggest reason, I think, is the proliferation of low-wage work. People are working and they're not getting paid enough to feed their families, pay their utilities and pay for their housing, pay for the healthcare. We had 28 percent of workers in 2011 made wages that were less than the poverty line. Poverty wages.

Fifty percent of the jobs in this country make less than $34,000 a year. Twenty-five percent make less than the poverty line for a family of four, which is $23,000 a year. So, if you're not paying people enough to pay for the basics, they're going to need help getting food.

And food stamps expanded because we went through the greatest the worst recession since the Great Depression. And it did what it's supposed to do. And now, you know, mostly Republicans are saying, "Why are there so many people on food stamps?" You know, they're claiming the recession's over, but we know that most people on food stamps are, if they're getting work, it's low-wage work that doesn't pay enough to pay for food.
Where, if anywhere, does personal responsibility fit into that? I made shit wages when I started out in life. In fact my first two bosses only hired me because of the tax incentives they got dor hiring an ex con. I got SHIT wages and LONG hours because I had no choice least I get my parole revoked.
I know some of you probably get tired of hearing the convict story but I think it goes to show that THERE ARE NO EXCUSES

You gotta admit, it is funny these right wingers wanting to fight over jobs paying less than the minimum wage. During the Bush years, millions of jobs were moved to China Unskilled labor. Obama wants to turn unskilled American workers into skilled American workers and Republicans fight against him and then complain about high unemployment. Well, they only have themselves to blame.

You have proven to be an irrelevant partisan moron.

Don't be mad at me for your inability to judge someone's character by the content of their posts.

Ps. Todays job market for an average citizen is no worse than the job market for a newly released con. I see lots of help wanted signs for low wage jobs everyday. You know, the kind of jobs you takw WHILE you educate yourself for a better one.

Since 1985
, the overall consumer price index has risen 115% while the college education inflation rate has risen nearly 500%. According to Gordon Wadsworth, author of The College Trap, “…if the cost of college tuition was $10,000 in 1986, it would now cost the same student over $21,500 if education had increased as much as the average inflation rate but instead education is $59,800 or over 2 ½ times the inflation rate.”

Yes, it took me over a decade to pay off my student loans but at the same time my income continued to grow. That's the great thing about our country. I could have learned my skill and opted to work under someone else to avoid all the stress and long nights OR take it all on myself with the added benefits of making the money that my boss would have had I opted for the easier, less stressful route.

We have choices and our individual drive and ambition determines our outcome. NOT some Wallstreet rich prick

Good for you gramps. I have done very well in sales. But your solution does not really solve our country's problems.

The theory that everyone can make it sounds great, but the reality is no society can function if everyone became a doctor. A society has tasks that must be carried out for society to function.

I sold heavy construction equipment for a Caterpillar dealer. The most productive hydraulic excavator could not lay one foot of sewer line without the guys in the hole placing and connecting the pipe. The most sophisticated asphalt or concrete paver could not pave one foot of highway without the laborers with shovels working behind the machine.

There are many tasks that must be completed for our society to function from stocking shelves, loading and unloading trucks, repairing autos, appliances, etc. etc.etc.. It will always be that way. Everyone who is willing to work hard should earn a fair wage based on the reality of the cost to survive.

Last edited:

Since 1985
, the overall consumer price index has risen 115% while the college education inflation rate has risen nearly 500%. According to Gordon Wadsworth, author of The College Trap, “…if the cost of college tuition was $10,000 in 1986, it would now cost the same student over $21,500 if education had increased as much as the average inflation rate but instead education is $59,800 or over 2 ½ times the inflation rate.”

Yes, it took me over a decade to pay off my student loans but at the same time my income continued to grow. That's the great thing about our country. I could have learned my skill and opted to work under someone else to avoid all the stress and long nights OR take it all on myself with the added benefits of making the money that my boss would have had I opted for the easier, less stressful route.

We have choices and our individual drive and ambition determines our outcome. NOT some Wallstreet rich prick

Good for you gramps. I have done very well in sales. But your solution does not really solve our country's problems.

The theory that everyone can make it sounds great, but the reality is no society can function if everyone became a doctor. A society has tasks that must be carried out for society to function.

I sold heavy construction equipment for a Caterpillar dealer. The most productive hydraulic excavator could not lay one foot of sewer line without the guys in the hole placing and connecting the pipe. The most sophisticated asphalt or concrete paver could not pave one foot of highway without the laborers with shovels working behind the machine.

There are many tasks that must be completed for our society to function from stocking shelves, loading and unloading trucks, repairing autos, appliances, etc. etc.etc.. It will always be that way. Everyone who is willing to work hard should earn a fair wage based on the reality of the cost to survive.

A safety net is needed yes. But 1 in 3 Americans on that net is complete bullshit. Earn your way rather that taking Clark Griswalds cousins attitude...."im holding out for management" 12 years later

Walmart might have accepted it IF all unionized stores don't have the pay the "super" livable wage. This law was so narrowly crafted that it applies to WalMart and no other store.

OMG, I actually agree with you on something. This proposal is nothing more than a punishment to larger retailers. While I believe the minimum wage should be increased, there are two big problems with this proposal. First of all, the increase is too much all at once but more importantly it only affects a small percentage of employers and workers. The argument for raising the minimum wage is that if people earn more, they will have more to spend, and they will turn around and spend it right in their own community. The idea is sound, but it also has limitations. If you force employers to pay too high a wage, then they are forced to raise prices to compensate, and the increase in wages doesn't really help, all it does is cause inflation.

A much better and wiser proposal would be to increase the minimum wage to $10.50 rather than $12.50, and have it cover everyone in Washington DC.

A safety net is needed yes. But 1 in 3 Americans on that net is complete bullshit. Earn your way rather that taking Clark Griswalds cousins attitude...."im holding out for management" 12 years later

You see, this is where you folks on the right let your self loathing nature show. Those Americans are not sitting on their asses.

If there is a citizenry on this planet that does NOT have an entitlement mentality, it is the American people. American workers take less vacation time than any other people. American workers take pride in the quality of their work and their work ethic.

What Romney said is a gross insult and reveals a dangerous mindset. He reeks of contempt for middle class working people and the poor.

Who are the 47%?

Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.

Moreover, the vast bulk of that 9 percent goes for medical care, unemployment insurance benefits (which individuals must have a significant work history to receive), Social Security survivor benefits for the children and spouses of deceased workers, and Social Security benefits for retirees between ages 62 and 64. Seven out of the 9 percentage points go for one of these four purposes.

80 percent of the workforce has seen their wages decline in real terms over the last quarter-century, and the average household has seen 40 percent of its wealth disappear during the Great Recession. Through it all, families never asked for a handout from anyone, especially Washington. They were left to go on their own, working harder, squeezing nickels, and taking care of themselves. But their economic boats have been taking on water for years, and now the crisis has swamped millions of middle class families. ref ref

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Last edited:

You see, this is where you folks on the right let your self loathing nature show. Those Americans are not sitting on their asses.

If there is a citizenry on this planet that does NOT have an entitlement mentality, it is the American people. American workers take less vacation time than any other people. American workers take pride in the quality of their work and their work ethic.

What Romney said is a gross insult and reveals a dangerous mindset. He reeks of contempt for middle class working people and the poor.

Who are the 47%?

Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percent of the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.

Moreover, the vast bulk of that 9 percent goes for medical care, unemployment insurance benefits (which individuals must have a significant work history to receive), Social Security survivor benefits for the children and spouses of deceased workers, and Social Security benefits for retirees between ages 62 and 64. Seven out of the 9 percentage points go for one of these four purposes.

80 percent of the workforce has seen their wages decline in real terms over the last quarter-century, and the average household has seen 40 percent of its wealth disappear during the Great Recession. Through it all, families never asked for a handout from anyone, especially Washington. They were left to go on their own, working harder, squeezing nickels, and taking care of themselves. But their economic boats have been taking on water for years, and now the crisis has swamped millions of middle class families. ref ref

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."

Your first two paragraphs beg to differ witb each other.

At any rate I gotta goto bed. I gotta get up and EARN my welfare......

Who are the 47%?

Your first two paragraphs beg to differ witb each other.

At any rate I gotta goto bed. I gotta get up and EARN my welfare......

Cashing disability checks isn't all that much work. Or so I've heard.

The Truth About American Poverty

The poor in America are stereotyped and demonized in an effort to justify huge cuts in food stamps and other crucial programs for low-income Americans.

“People are working and they’re not getting paid enough to feed their families, pay their utilities, pay for their housing, pay for the healthcare… if you’re not paying people enough to pay for the basics, they’re going to need help getting food,” Kaufmann tells Bill. “There are a lot of corporations that want to be involved in the fight against hunger. The best thing they can do is get on board for fair wages.”

BILL MOYERS: There are almost 48 million people using food stamps a day, and over recent years that’s a 70 percent increase. What does your own reporting tell you about why?

GREG KAUFMANN: Well, the biggest reason, I think, is the proliferation of low-wage work. People are working and they're not getting paid enough to feed their families, pay their utilities and pay for their housing, pay for the healthcare. We had 28 percent of workers in 2011 made wages that were less than the poverty line. Poverty wages.

Fifty percent of the jobs in this country make less than $34,000 a year. Twenty-five percent make less than the poverty line for a family of four, which is $23,000 a year. So, if you're not paying people enough to pay for the basics, they're going to need help getting food.

And food stamps expanded because we went through the greatest the worst recession since the Great Depression. And it did what it's supposed to do. And now, you know, mostly Republicans are saying, "Why are there so many people on food stamps?" You know, they're claiming the recession's over, but we know that most people on food stamps are, if they're getting work, it's low-wage work that doesn't pay enough to pay for food.
Where, if anywhere, does personal responsibility fit into that? I made shit wages when I started out in life. In fact my first two bosses only hired me because of the tax incentives they got dor hiring an ex con. I got SHIT wages and LONG hours because I had no choice least I get my parole revoked.
I know some of you probably get tired of hearing the convict story but I think it goes to show that THERE ARE NO EXCUSES

They got TAX INCENTIVES? That means you got help. And all you had to do was commit "crimes"????? You fucking asswipe.

btw, the new big thing Walmart is pushing is the self-checkout,

so all those jobs they're bringing in? they're doing everything they can to get rid of them.

so what? some people PREFER self check out...so now you all are going to bitch about that too? we used to have FULL SERVICE gas stations too...well I be damned most are now self serve

do you people just sit around to find things to bitch about?

I am merely proving that anyone who tells you that adding a Walmart to your community adds jobs is either lying or ignorant.

I like to bitch about dishonesty and ignorance. Sue me.

the RIGHT of the local government isn't always THE RIGHT decision...so no, we don't have to SUPPORT or accept it and the people in DC if they were smart they would get their pitchforks out..but too many lazy citizens in country they just let their government run all over them and like some of you would rather give those decisions to people in GOVERNMENT

So every community has to let Walmart in on Walmart's terms even if they don't want them?

don't know what you are babbling about...this wasn't THE PEOPLE'S choice now WAS IT?
was it put up for a VOTE? Their gumberment decided to do this ALL ON THEIR OWN so they can live with it or organize against their government to have it changed..up to them..or bitch when there are NO JOBS for them to work at

Why do you keep insisting that this creates jobs?

When people start shopping at a Walmart, they stop shopping somewhere else. When people buy shoes and socks and shirts and computers and televisions and steaks and bread and milk and paper towels and on and on at Walmart,

it's all stuff they didn't and won't buy somewhere else.

I don't care where Walmart puts stores. It's a lost cause to fight it. I just care about the truth.

Walmart doesn't create jobs in retail. Walmart moves jobs in retail from some other retailer to Walmart.

Democrats need to keep their base unemployed and dependent

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Democrats need to keep their base unemployed and dependent

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You forgot 'Stupid'

That's why they have to control our education system, which is the worst in the civilized world.

Shocking

FYI for our dumber libtard pals (The Waltons control 40% of America's Wealth? :eusa_liar:

Anyways, this is from Politifact, and they lean only slightly more to the left than Karl Marx --

PolitiFact Texas | Michael McCaul says U.S. corporate tax rate is world?s highest at 35 percent

But the U.S. hit the top spot in a more recent report. Morrison told us the latest such comparison was made in September 2012 for the libertarian Cato Institute. That report calculated the U.S. effective rate at 35.6 percent and ranked it highest among OECD nations but fourth among all 90 nations it examined.

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/tbb_65.pdf

rulings%2Ftom-mostlytrue.gif

Last edited:
My hometown used to have about ten supermarkets/discount department stores. It now has three, two of which are the Walmart superstore;

whatever good that created, and there may very well have been some good created,

it wasn't in jobs.

Last edited:
FYI for our dumber libtard pals (The Waltons control 40% of America's Wealth? :eusa_liar:

Anyways, this is from Politifact, and they lean only slightly more to the left than Karl Marx --

PolitiFact Texas | Michael McCaul says U.S. corporate tax rate is world?s highest at 35 percent

But the U.S. hit the top spot in a more recent report. Morrison told us the latest such comparison was made in September 2012 for the libertarian Cato Institute. That report calculated the U.S. effective rate at 35.6 percent and ranked it highest among OECD nations but fourth among all 90 nations it examined.

President Obama called for lowering the corporate tax rate, BUT, also closing the loopholes.

GUESS who balked at that idea?

I would support a corporate tax rate that rewards for domestic jobs ONLY. And a further reduction if you pay a living wage.

You know gramps, it is always the right who needs to diminish people and apply their own nefarious reasons someone is not rich. They are 'lazy', or they are 'moochers'

The conservative world view is what's nefarious. We see in America every day assaults by conservatives on unions, public employees, women's rights, immigrants, the environment, health care, voting rights, food safety, pensions, prenatal care, science, public broadcasting, and on and on.

You are more that welcome to defend conservatism, but I have yet to meet anyone that can do it without diminishing others or requiring some group of human beings to evaporate. It is a negative form of thought that is incompatible with a free and open society. It is anti-democratic in nature and builds nothing, it can only tear things down. The last 30 years are a shining example of conservatism.

Conservatism throughout human history has always created a aristocracy, plutocracy, or some form of oppressive society where there is a ruling class or hierarchy. Today's aristocrats and hierarchy are the CEO's, corporations, free marketeers, and the business elite. Conservatives will defend to the death McDonalds right to slowly poison our children, but they never defend our children's health and well being.

I've lived to see the total failure of two revolutions of extreme ideology. The Bolshevik revolution and the Reagan revolution. Unfettered communism and unfettered capitalism creates the same end...failure.

Conservatism has no investment in human capital. It believes everyone is basically evil, so it treats people accordingly and it always creates a fear of 'others', some group of people that must be excluded or ostracized. Liberalism is faith in human beings and a trust that the human spirit can solve all man-made problems.

So you are more than welcome to defend conservatism, but what you profess is not conservatism, it's narcissism.

Liberalism is trust of the people, tempered by prudence; conservatism, distrust of people, tempered by fear.
William E. Gladstone

President Obama called for lowering the corporate tax rate, BUT, also closing the loopholes.

I would support a corporate tax rate that rewards for domestic jobs ONLY. And a further reduction if you pay a living wage.

You got it ass-backwards, dewd.

Republicans want lower statutory rates along with closing loopholes.

Or didn't you watch the Romney Campaign at all?

Didn't think so

You know gramps, it is always the right who needs to diminish people and apply their own nefarious reasons someone is not rich. They are 'lazy', or they are 'moochers'

The conservative world view is what's nefarious. We see in America every day assaults by conservatives on unions, public employees, women's rights, immigrants, the environment, health care, voting rights, food safety, pensions, prenatal care, science, public broadcasting, and on and on.

You are more that welcome to defend conservatism, but I have yet to meet anyone that can do it without diminishing others or requiring some group of human beings to evaporate. It is a negative form of thought that is incompatible with a free and open society. It is anti-democratic in nature and builds nothing, it can only tear things down. The last 30 years are a shining example of conservatism.

Conservatism throughout human history has always created a aristocracy, plutocracy, or some form of oppressive society where there is a ruling class or hierarchy. Today's aristocrats and hierarchy are the CEO's, corporations, free marketeers, and the business elite. Conservatives will defend to the death McDonalds right to slowly poison our children, but they never defend our children's health and well being.

I've lived to see the total failure of two revolutions of extreme ideology. The Bolshevik revolution and the Reagan revolution. Unfettered communism and unfettered capitalism creates the same end...failure.

Conservatism has no investment in human capital. It believes everyone is basically evil, so it treats people accordingly and it always creates a fear of 'others', some group of people that must be excluded or ostracized. Liberalism is faith in human beings and a trust that the human spirit can solve all man-made problems.

So you are more than welcome to defend conservatism, but what you profess is not conservatism, it's narcissism.

Liberalism is trust of the people, tempered by prudence; conservatism, distrust of people, tempered by fear.
William E. Gladstone

'Liberalism' isn't evil, it's what liberalism leads to that is evil.

Do you think the Russian people knew what they were getting into in 1917?

Cuba and Fidel?

Mao and the Chinese?

Cambodia and Pol Pot?

TRUE liberals are in the Republican Party.

We hold fast to the ideas and foundation in the Constitution.

And don't flatter yourself, you're not a liberal. You're a Leninist, a Maoist in waiting.

I am a liberal. Most Conservatives are liberals. You're a radical.

You got it ass-backwards, dewd.

Republicans want lower statutory rates along with closing loopholes.

Or didn't you watch the Romney Campaign at all?

Didn't think so

Really? Faux News never told you??

Obama proposes lowering corporate tax rate to 28 percent

dJjW6JJ.jpg

President Obama proposed a major overhaul of the nation’s corporate tax code.

The plan would lower the nation’s corporate tax rate to 28 percent. At the same time, Obama wants to boost overall revenue from corporate taxation by banning numerous deductions and loopholes that save companies tens of billions of dollars a year on their tax bills.

The current U.S. corporate tax rate of 35 percent is one of the highest in the world, but the abundance of loopholes and deductions enable many businesses to pay far less than that — or nothing at all. Companies in the United States pay almost half the taxes that companies in other rich countries pay, compared with the size of the economy, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

More from The Washington Post

Forum List

Back