Let the States Decide- ALA Supreme Court Justice urges Defiance- Gay Marraige

Somebody help me out here. My best friend just got married. She and her wife waited 15 years to do this. But I am very confused about the vocabulary.
marriage |ˈmarij|noun
1 the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife: a happy marriage | the children from his first marriage.
husband |ˈhəzbənd|
noun a married man considered in relation to his wife
wife |wīf|noun
( pl. wives |wīvz| )a married woman considered in relation to her husband.
How dictionary definitions are going to catch up with social changes?

Everyone can thank me later for the OP's I present daily. Seriously, I do it to generate debate for all of you while I'm at the salt mine

Someone has to pay for ACA

-Geaux

Somebody help me out here. My best friend just got married. She and her wife waited 15 years to do this. But I am very confused about the vocabulary.
marriage |ˈmarij|noun
1 the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife: a happy marriage | the children from his first marriage.
husband |ˈhəzbənd|
wife |wīf|noun
Dictionary writers do it all the time. That's why you often see multiple definitions. "Selfie" is already in some dictionaries.

Again, no it's not- Fundamental rights are those that are deeply rooted in our nation's history and tradition. Same sex marriage is not deeply rooted in our nation's history and traditions
Neither was the abolishment of slavery. Rights are rights, whether you recognize them or not. As many conservatives like to say, they're God-given.

Well it's a dandy idea...and is not our current system of government. What I described is unconstitutional...just like bans on gays marrying the partner of their choice.

I guess if you don't like the laws of our country, like the Constitution that says you can't violate my right to equal protection, you can move to a different one.

Then why even have a Constitution, if no one has to follow it?

Of course I believe in the Constitution and the right to bear arms. I have guns and know how to use them.

I was speaking about laws that the States pass that you don't like. If you don't like those laws then vote out those passing them.

He knows perfectly well as do I that the right to bear arms is in the Constitution. Of course some on the left would rather it weren't. They think no one should own a gun for any reason.

He didn't say you didn't like the 2nd Amendment, he asked why have a Constitution if the states can just say "fuck you, I do what I want".

The right to marry has been declared a fundamental right and therefore, anti gay marriage bans based solely on animus are being found unconstitutional...just like handgun bans were.
"The right to marry has been declared a fundamental right"
Not correct.
SCOTUS will not rule on the question until April when the Court will hear 4 cases regarding the issue.
Now, you are free to maintain your position. However, let's be clear. The above is your opinion.
Court will rule on same-sex marriage UPDATED SCOTUSblog

Not correct. The SCOTUS has already declared marriage a fundamental right. It's called precedence.

14 Supreme Court Cases: Marriage is a Fundamental Right
No one lacks the right to get married.

Not in most of the states they don't...but the SCOTUS will take care of the bakers dozen left. :lol:

Again, no it's not- Fundamental rights are those that are deeply rooted in our nation's history and tradition. Same sex marriage is not deeply rooted in our nation's history and traditions
Neither was the abolishment of slavery. Rights are rights, whether you recognize them or not. As many conservatives like to say, they're God-given.

Not the one you're supporting

-Geaux

Ah, but my CC permit is not treated differently than yours while my marriage license is. That's discrimination and the SCOTUS is about to find it unconstitutional.
Nope. Your permit is not valid in TN. Your "marriage license" isnt either. No discrimination as they are all treated equally.
Untrue, my permit is recognized, but hers isn't. That's NOT equal treatment.

I'm telling you. Next we'll have unions with chickens recognized in the USA. There in no end to the insanity

Stand by to stand by

-Geaux

main-qimg-8dc7810afdec78e4b37b946ed8604c4f

So when CA decides they want to ban handguns and automatic rifles, you'd be just fine with that right?
Another straw man argument.
BTW, many states( blue) have restrictive gun laws. So your point is moot

No, actually, my point is quite valid. (Take a look at the Heller case and get back to me, m'kay?)
His point is quite valid. And it trumps your next contention. My carry permit is not valid in all 50 states byt my drivers license is, as is my marriage license.
States have the power to set their own standards.

Ah, but my CC permit is not treated differently than yours while my marriage license is. That's discrimination and the SCOTUS is about to find it unconstitutional.

Yes it is.. Your CC permit is not recognized by all states, so it is treated differently. For instance, CA only recognizes a few states CCW.

-Geaux

If my CC permit was treated differently than yours because I'm gay, he and you would have a point. It isn't. My CA CC permit is treated exactly the same as anyone else's CA CC permit. My CA marriage license, however, is not treated the same as one issued to a straight couple...despite it being the exact same license issued by the exact same authority.

marriage |ˈmarij|noun
husband |ˈhəzbənd|
wife |wīf|noun
Most dictionaries I look at now include gay marriage in their definitions.

Another straw man argument.
BTW, many states( blue) have restrictive gun laws. So your point is moot

No, actually, my point is quite valid. (Take a look at the Heller case and get back to me, m'kay?)
His point is quite valid. And it trumps your next contention. My carry permit is not valid in all 50 states byt my drivers license is, as is my marriage license.

Yes it is.. Your CC permit is not recognized by all states, so it is treated differently. For instance, CA only recognizes a few states CCW.

-Geaux

If my CC permit was treated differently than yours because I'm gay, he and you would have a point. It isn't. My CA CC permit is treated exactly the same as anyone else's CA CC permit. My CA marriage license, however, is not treated the same as one issued to a straight couple...despite it being the exact same license issued by the exact same authority.

Your missing the point. The states are controlling the differences between Ca vs other states CC requirements.

-Geaux

marriage |ˈmarij|noun
husband |ˈhəzbənd|
wife |wīf|noun

It already is. Merriam Webster:

Wife: a married woman : the woman someone is married to
Husband: a married man : the man someone is married to

marriage |ˈmarij|noun
husband |ˈhəzbənd|
wife |wīf|noun

It already is. Merriam Webster:

Wife: a married woman : the woman someone is married to
Husband: a married man : the man someone is married to

LaughingMonkeyGif.gif

-Geaux

Your missing the point. The states are controlling the differences between Ca vs other states CC requirements.

-Geaux

It's you're...as in you are. Honestly.

You're the one missing the point. A CC permit is not treated the same as a marriage license. If you want to start a discussion about how marriage licenses and CC permits are not treated the same, I'll join in and I might even agree with you...but it is an unrelated issue since CC permits and marriage licenses are not treated the same.

If it were up to the states to decide civil rights issues then there would be no real need for a Constitution, at least not one of the sort we have.

If this was a civil rights issue, you may have a point

-Geaux
This is a civil rights issue.

Again, no it's not- Fundamental rights are those that are deeply rooted in our nation's history and tradition. Same sex marriage is not deeply rooted in our nation's history and traditions.

-Geaux

Neither were the rights of blacks and women.

Tradition is irrelevant.

If it were up to the states to decide civil rights issues then there would be no real need for a Constitution, at least not one of the sort we have.

-Geaux

Again, no it's not- Fundamental rights are those that are deeply rooted in our nation's history and tradition. Same sex marriage is not deeply rooted in our nation's history and traditions.

-Geaux

Tradition is irrelevant.

These guys think they are being original...but all their "arguments" have been shot down already:

Richard Posner, who was appointed by President Ronald Reagan in 1981, hit the backers of the ban the hardest. He balked when Wisconsin Assistant Attorney General Timothy Samuelson repeatedly pointed to “tradition” as the underlying justification for barring gay marriage.

“It was tradition to not allow blacks and whites to marry — a tradition that got swept away,” the 75-year-old judge said. Prohibition of same sex marriage, Posner said, derives from “a tradition of hate ... and savage discrimination” of homosexuals.
Federal judges blast Indiana, Wisconsin gay marriage bans

-Geaux

-Geaux

Tradition is irrelevant.

These guys think they are being original...but all their "arguments" have been shot down already:

Richard Posner, who was appointed by President Ronald Reagan in 1981, hit the backers of the ban the hardest. He balked when Wisconsin Assistant Attorney General Timothy Samuelson repeatedly pointed to “tradition” as the underlying justification for barring gay marriage.

“It was tradition to not allow blacks and whites to marry — a tradition that got swept away,” the 75-year-old judge said. Prohibition of same sex marriage, Posner said, derives from “a tradition of hate ... and savage discrimination” of homosexuals.
Federal judges blast Indiana, Wisconsin gay marriage bans

There are many immoral laws. Add gay marriage to the list

-Geaux

Forum List

Back