Liberals suspend schoolkid for having paperclip - Could be bent into a weapon

How do you know the school admin is liberal? Or is everything you don't like in the world liberal? Because nothing in that article says that it was a liberal.

But as an aside, I hate these school suspension story. You only get one side of the story because legally a school can't comment so the media can sell it as that's exactly what happened and it creates animosity toward schools when legally they can't defend themselves and their decisions. It's insanity.

More than likely, if we use common sense and reason in looking at this story, there have been incidents in the school of kids poking each other with bent paper clips or other objects.

It's true, we only get one side of the story and it is blown out of proportion, and it assumes all public schools are administered by liberals and that their policies are all extremely foolish and bordering on a psychotic PC agenda.

My experience of schools and incidents like this is that there will be a lot of background to the problem: there has probably been an ongoing problem with kids using such materials to poke others ; and there is the potential for injury. If a child is injured by another child with even a seemingly innocuous tool such as this, the parents can sue the school. The school has to be very careful to avoid such lawsuits, which, BTW, the taxpayer is the one who pays for it.

So, what may seem like silly behavior on the part of the school may very well be reasonable measures taken to prevent a lawsuit which taxpayers have to shell out for.

In any case, we should know the whole picture before we make judgements.

But a sharpened pencil is okay? I'd rather be stuck with a paper clip than stabbed by a pencil....but thats just me.

Teachers are normally liberal. Schools are normally liberal. A conservative would not have bothered with a paper clip.

In addition to sharpened pencils as noted above, don't forget aout those potential assault ballpoint pens too. It's for the childrens' sake after all.

How do you know the school admin is liberal? Or is everything you don't like in the world liberal? Because nothing in that article says that it was a liberal.

But as an aside, I hate these school suspension story. You only get one side of the story because legally a school can't comment so the media can sell it as that's exactly what happened and it creates animosity toward schools when legally they can't defend themselves and their decisions. It's insanity.

More than likely, if we use common sense and reason in looking at this story, there have been incidents in the school of kids poking each other with bent paper clips or other objects.

It's true, we only get one side of the story and it is blown out of proportion, and it assumes all public schools are administered by liberals and that their policies are all extremely foolish and bordering on a psychotic PC agenda.

My experience of schools and incidents like this is that there will be a lot of background to the problem: there has probably been an ongoing problem with kids using such materials to poke others ; and there is the potential for injury. If a child is injured by another child with even a seemingly innocuous tool such as this, the parents can sue the school. The school has to be very careful to avoid such lawsuits, which, BTW, the taxpayer is the one who pays for it.

So, what may seem like silly behavior on the part of the school may very well be reasonable measures taken to prevent a lawsuit which taxpayers have to shell out for.

Agree

Most likely it is another oversimplification of a problem by Conservatives. It is not a simple paperclip

There have probably been numerous incidents of children manipulating these paperclips to create a tool they can poke each other with. Warnings were probably issued

But as usual, we only get part of the story

Last edited:

Agree

Most likely it is another oversimplification of a problem by Conservaitives. It is not a simple paperclip

There have probably been numerous incidents of children manipulating these paperclips to create a tool they can poke each other with. Warnings were probably issued

This is why I hate local news. Let's be honest, most of the days in our life are anti-dramatic. Nothing happens. However the news has to do a broadcast at least 5 times a day. So they need a local story on a slow news day? Run with this. It gets people to watch and that helps ratings and ad revenue while they slowly destroy our educational system.

I read news websites and watch some national TV programs. But I just can't stand local news sometimes.

Agree

Most likely it is another oversimplification of a problem by Conservaitives. It is not a simple paperclip

This is why I hate local news. Let's be honest, most of the days in our life are anti-dramatic. Nothing happens. However the news has to do a broadcast at least 5 times a day. So they need a local story on a slow news day? Run with this. It gets people to watch and that helps ratings and ad revenue while they slowly destroy our educational system.

I read news websites and watch some national TV programs. But I just can't stand local news sometimes.

The fact that the kid hesitated to show that he had a paperclip in his pocket probably shows that they had been warned not to do it

[

Hey einstein. If kids want to poke someone, pens and pencils are far better than paperclips. Apparently you think kids should only be allowed crayons.

Why do some retards assume the teacher was a liberal? The teacher could have been a right wing douche bag for all the OP knows.

A rw teacher??? HAHAHA. No such thing. This was the work of liberals for sure.

I rememeber, before the GOP declared war on unions, (and by extension on teachers who are in unions) when Americans liked teachers.

Don't blame GOP for teacher-hate. Teachers are hated because they are money-grubbing incompetents who care nothing for the kids and everybody knows it. Liberals made in nearly impossible to fire a teacher and now the field is full of crooks.

I am all out of paper clips too. What do they have against paper clips, folders and paper clips are what keep papers from becoming a confusing mess.

[. We have an entire culture in this country that doesn't respect the institution of education. Everyone says "it's important to get an education" yet constantly undermine the authority of educators, disrespect their intelligence and fail to give adequate funding to hire the best and brightest to the field. Our public education system fails because we don't respect it at all.

Teachers brought it on themselves. They know they can't be fired and so they don't even try to do a good job. We should get rid of teachers from 9th grade on. Give the kid a book and tell him when to show up for the test.

I find it appalling how our public schools are treating such innocent activity. If I were a kid in school today, I would have been expelled in the first week. We always used to play cops and robbers on the playground using sticks that we found as pretend guns.

I find it appalling how our public schools are treating such innocent activity. If I were a kid in school today, I would have been expelled in the first week. We always used to play cops and robbers on the playground using sticks that we found as pretend guns.

Yepp, sometimes kids just have to be kids.

On the other hand, lawsuits over the smallest of farts have kind of ruined this for teachers, who have to be ultimately careful. We don't know what kind of pre-history this one school system has already had with some kind of paperclip trauma.

That being said, I personally find it to be ridiculous. If we keep up at this pace, soon we will only be allowing round objects into schools...

Sean was brought to the office by a staff member who reported that Sean had a sharp object on him in his right pocket.

How would a staff member know he had a sharp object in his pocket unless innocent young Sean had poked someone?

When asked what he had in his pocket he reported he did not have anything. When asked to empty his pockets he refused. After several minutes Sean emptied his pockets

Doesn't look like the actions of an innocent child. Sean knew he was brought to the office for poking another child and didn't want to produce the incriminating evidence

The contents of his pockets included a cell phone, pen cap, and paper clip. The paperclip was bent in a manner that could allow for use as a weapon.

Why was the paperclip bent so that it could be used to poke someone? I never carry paperclips that way

Little Sean got caught after being observed by a staff member and was suspended. I'm sure it won't be the last time for young Sean

The kid was probably getting ready to lose his mind after liberals made his Little League teams not keep score for W and L.

Sean was brought to the office by a staff member who reported that Sean had a sharp object on him in his right pocket.

How would a staff member know he had a sharp object in his pocket unless innocent young Sean had poked someone?

When asked what he had in his pocket he reported he did not have anything. When asked to empty his pockets he refused. After several minutes Sean emptied his pockets

Doesn't look like the actions of an innocent child. Sean knew he was brought to the office for poking another child and didn't want to produce the incriminating evidence

The contents of his pockets included a cell phone, pen cap, and paper clip. The paperclip was bent in a manner that could allow for use as a weapon.

Why was the paperclip bent so that it could be used to poke someone? I never carry paperclips that way

Little Sean got caught after being observed by a staff member and was suspended. I'm sure it won't be the last time for young Sean

So, it's more about an attack and less about a paperclip.

But the Right needs something to SCREAM about.

Father: Sean! Why did you get suspended from school?
Sean: I didn't do nothin daddy, I didn't do nothin
Father: Then why did they suspend you?
Sean: Must have been the paperclip they found in my pocket Daddy, you know how those liberals are
Father: Fucking Librals!

There are different sizes of paper clips nowadays; they are not all the tiny little things we used to have.

120px-Small-paperclip.jpg

Basically, at work, I use small ones and a larger size, about 3 times as big as the small one as well as thicker and heavier. I can see the big one causing an injury.

Yepp, sometimes kids just have to be kids.

On the other hand, lawsuits over the smallest of farts have kind of ruined this for teachers, who have to be ultimately careful. We don't know what kind of pre-history this one school system has already had with some kind of paperclip trauma.

That being said, I personally find it to be ridiculous. If we keep up at this pace, soon we will only be allowing round objects into schools...

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding lawsuits. It's the parents that are way too sensitive. The expect the school to limit ALL risk like it is even possible. If a kid trips and falls in school they get sued now. Again, going back to my childhood and using the mindset of today's parents, my school would have been sued nearly everyday.

Kids got hurt on the swings, see-saw, monkey bars, just running around and we occasionally punched each other. I broke a kid's nose in second grade because he was bullying me. No cops, no lawsuit no media blitz. We were made to apologize to each other and today we still friends, if even only on Facebook. Today, I would have been arrested, my parents sued, the school sued and I would have been expelled. All for defending myself.

Sad state of affairs we live in. Truly.

Forum List

Back