Liberals value education:FALSE

yet, you republicans want to take away education for all and don't want to fund it.

If you cared about it you'd at least reform it but I can see that isn't your goal.
Reforming it has been the problem. Years ago the goal of schools was to educate, nothing else. Then the liberals decided to tinker with what was right...and then began "social engineering." It used to be that schools replaced only out of date history books every few years, then political correctness entered the scope of education and the costly replacements due to the liberal agenda that year forced schools to replace very good readers to new ones that included Mexican American stories, then those were replaced for children in wheelchairs and holy moley, there comes families with more than one mom and dad to heal the pressures of those children from divorced homes. But that wasn't good enough until we had two lesbian moms and 2 gay dads! The publishers were making a mint! with all the new series that evolved in a short year or so. Tis sad to think that kids learned to read faster and cheaper with Dick and Jane but are more sexually sensitive in first grade. Thus the initiative of Liberal young people. Just think of the music books that could have stayed in the classrooms for a decade, saving billions, but we had to change them time and time again to accommodate Mexican songs and eliminating Christmas or patriotic ones!

In first grade the children get a quick lesson on addition, subtraction, multiplication and division but are dedicated hand held computers to come up with the right math answers. God help a builder who was educated in the last 2 decades if they are on the job and their phone needs a charge.

It was a great time to teach when education was the major focus of the agenda and parents held up their side of the parenting issues instead of expecting the educational institutions to do it for them. Keep enabling neglectful parents and watch the standards of education drop even further than they have so far. Yes, parents can be blamed for not caring about their children's education, but society is to blame from taking their responsibilities away. We feed their children and clothes them, see that they get glasses and coats, even buy them damn socks. Shame on us!

Anti teacher anti worker mentality at its finest.
I would never ever recommend someone become a teacher today.....particularly in any red state or red area of a state.

I live in a blue state and the red areas of the state have a large number of failing schools.

Inner city schools?
Inner city schools are often failing and the reason is that they push students through especially if they are behavior problems. That is so wrong. They need to have higher standards and retain students if they didn't grasp the material in the year they were given.
The question is...how long do you retain students? 1 year max? 2 years? 3? 4?
The maximum has been twice in elementary, once in the younger years and once in the older elementary. Not sure what is is in middle or high school. If they are still behind, a psychologist should be called in to diagnosed the problem.

Did ANYONE that commented do ANY due diligence before spouting off? Did you look up the bill?

What is Senate Bill 172?

Senate Bill (SB) 172 (Liu), signed by Governor Brown on October 7, 2015, suspends the administration of the California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE) and the requirement that students completing grade twelve successfully pass the high school exit examination as a condition of receiving a diploma of graduation from high school for the 2015–16, 2016–17, and 2017–18 school years. The law also requires local educational agencies (LEAs) to grant a diploma of graduation to any student who completed grade twelve in the 2003-04 school year, or a subsequent school year, and has met all applicable graduation requirements other than passing the high school exit examination. The bill also requires the Superintendent to convene an advisory panel to make recommendations to the Superintendent on the continuation of the high school exit examination and on alternative pathways to satisfy the high school graduation requirements pursuant to California Education Code sections 51224.5 and 51225.3. The law will take effect on January 1, 2016, at which time LEAs shall be permitted to issue diplomas to eligible students.

FAQs About the Suspension of the CAHSEE - California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE) (CA Dept of Education)
So, California's diploma will be meaningless and the employers know it.

Well employers won't hire from California. Don't worry Midwestern kids are there to help the deficient west and south.

Did ANYONE that commented do ANY due diligence before spouting off? Did you look up the bill?

What is Senate Bill 172?

Senate Bill (SB) 172 (Liu), signed by Governor Brown on October 7, 2015, suspends the administration of the California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE) and the requirement that students completing grade twelve successfully pass the high school exit examination as a condition of receiving a diploma of graduation from high school for the 2015–16, 2016–17, and 2017–18 school years. The law also requires local educational agencies (LEAs) to grant a diploma of graduation to any student who completed grade twelve in the 2003-04 school year, or a subsequent school year, and has met all applicable graduation requirements other than passing the high school exit examination. The bill also requires the Superintendent to convene an advisory panel to make recommendations to the Superintendent on the continuation of the high school exit examination and on alternative pathways to satisfy the high school graduation requirements pursuant to California Education Code sections 51224.5 and 51225.3. The law will take effect on January 1, 2016, at which time LEAs shall be permitted to issue diplomas to eligible students.

FAQs About the Suspension of the CAHSEE - California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE) (CA Dept of Education)

Wishful thinking on your part, but wrong.

What is Senate Bill 172?

Wishful thinking on your part, but wrong.
How so? If they had a employment candidate with a high school diploma from California and one from Idaho who do you think would get the job?

What is Senate Bill 172?

It just does away with a test that some kids could not pass anyway.

What is Senate Bill 172?

It just does away with a test that some kids could not pass anyway.
Obviously. That's why it's going buh bye!

Standardized testing should not be put in the hands of a private firm. It should be the teachers of the local district who create the test.

Standardized testing is no measure of anything other than can a teacher teach only to a test? And if there is history on it that disqualifies it for me. History doesn't teach any skills.

You know, I never had to take a standardized test when I was in school, and I ended up with a pretty decent education. In the 6th grade science, our final was that we had to draw the Tree of Life, all the way from the starting blocks of Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen and Nitrogen, going all the way up through the single cell organisms, to fungus and algae, and then over to one side with the plants, and the other side with the animals, knowing family, phylum and genus for each thing we'd studied that year. I remember the first day of class, the teacher put "CHON" up on the blackboard and told us that was the first answer to the final. I also studied algebra and geometry (really liked geometry), as well as human physiology and other subjects.

But then again, I was educated in Montana. When I married my ex wife, we started to compare schools on occasion, and the stuff I'd learned in middle school in Montana was some of the same stuff she studied as a Junior in high school in Tennessee.

Take out the standardized tests, and actually teach what the books say to teach.

Standardized testing should not be put in the hands of a private firm. It should be the teachers of the local district who create the test.
Then the teachers could water down the test to make themselves look good. It should be in the hands of a private firm and the proctor to overwatch the class should not be the teacher. They should never see the test, matter of fact.

Horror stories abound when teacher give their own tests. They have made copies and kept them for teaching, walked around and told students to change wrong answers, changed answers.

Then the teachers could water down the test to make themselves look good. It should be in the hands of a private firm and the proctor to overwatch the class should not be the teacher. They should never see the test, matter of fact.

Horror stories abound when teacher give their own tests. They have made copies and kept them for teaching, walked around and told students to change wrong answers, changed answers.

Teachers have done that with the standardized tests as well.

In first grade the children get a quick lesson on addition, subtraction, multiplication and division but are dedicated hand held computers to come up with the right math answers. .........

If that is done anywhere it is sure as hell not the norm.

You know, I never had to take a standardized test when I was in school, and I ended up with a pretty decent education. In the 6th grade science, our final was that we had to draw the Tree of Life, all the way from the starting blocks of Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen and Nitrogen, going all the way up through the single cell organisms, to fungus and algae, and then over to one side with the plants, and the other side with the animals, knowing family, phylum and genus for each thing we'd studied that year. I remember the first day of class, the teacher put "CHON" up on the blackboard and told us that was the first answer to the final. I also studied algebra and geometry (really liked geometry), as well as human physiology and other subjects.

But then again, I was educated in Montana. When I married my ex wife, we started to compare schools on occasion, and the stuff I'd learned in middle school in Montana was some of the same stuff she studied as a Junior in high school in Tennessee.

Take out the standardized tests, and actually teach what the books say to teach.
Like you said, you were taught in Montana. For those that think the curriculum should be developed by the state or city, they had better watch what they are actually saying. In states who have the lowest reading levels, they would create a test that is actually fourth grade level for high schools.

If there are no tests, there is no measuring stick to determine if you get a good or poor education in your state.

I have seen the Common Core and although I don't generally go along with "fads", I have to agree the Common core was just what we needed. It is teaching logic and reasoning skills along with the major basic facts in all of the grades that I have seen, (four levels.)

If they agree to my terms then big deal. If I have money to pay they will strongly consider it. I wouldn't be the first parent to ask this. I would not ask that the class be stopped just that MY kids not be included. That doesn't hurt the school or me.

That's not how it works, for example at our oldest's school students are required to stand for the national anthem and say the pledge, they then have daily prayer which the student is required to remain silent during. Nobody is exempt and all follow the rule

The Catholic schools here have many students who opt out of Religion class. They get study hall. I don't know of anyone they forced to take Religion. There are many students who aren't Catholic but attend one of the many Catholic schools in my area. They also do not have to attend Wednesday Mass or religious pageants or presentations. It is no big deal.

In first grade the children get a quick lesson on addition, subtraction, multiplication and division but are dedicated hand held computers to come up with the right math answers. .........

If that is done anywhere it is sure as hell not the norm.
Can't tell you that. All I can say is the calculators were given to 6 year olds by the system. I think it's as wrong as hell, too.

Forum List

Back