Liberty Students Would Have Been Fined If They Skipped Ted Cruz's Speech

I heard that and saw the tee-shirts.

Liberty U. is the best reason we can never let the so-called Christian conservatives take over this country. If they do, we might as well rename it the United States of Jonestown.

You should read Chris Hedges' book, "American Fascists." Good stuff, albeit scary. Hedges actually toured the Dominionist movement's meetings and wrote about it.

I assumed it was about the Democrat Party.

Liberty U. is the best reason we can never let the so-called Christian conservatives take over this country. If they do, we might as well rename it the United States of Jonestown.

America already had a taste of those bible thumping loonies from liberty "university", remember Bushes A.G. John asscrack. he packed the DOJ with graduates from that school of bible thumping mutants

Justice's Holy Hires

Justice s Holy Hires

Scandal puts spotlight on Christian law school
Grads influential in Justice Dept.

By Charlie Savage, Globe Staff | April 8, 2007

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The title of the course was Constitutional Law, but the subject was sin. Before any casebooks were opened, a student led his classmates in a 10-minute devotional talk, completed with "amens," about the need to preserve their Christian values.

"Sin is so appealing because it's easy and because it's fun," the law student warned.

Regent University School of Law, founded by televangelist Pat Robertson to provide "Christian leadership to change the world," has worked hard in its two-decade history to upgrade its reputation, fighting past years when a majority of its graduates couldn't pass the bar exam and leading up to recent victories over Ivy League teams in national law student competitions.

Scandal puts spotlight on Christian law school - The Boston Globe

Last edited:

America already had a taste of those bible thumping loonies from liberty "university", remember Bushes A.G. John asscrack. he packed the DOJ with graduates from that school of bible thumping mutants

Justice's Holy Hires

Justice s Holy Hires

Scandal puts spotlight on Christian law school
Grads influential in Justice Dept.

By Charlie Savage, Globe Staff | April 8, 2007

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The title of the course was Constitutional Law, but the subject was sin. Before any casebooks were opened, a student led his classmates in a 10-minute devotional talk, completed with "amens," about the need to preserve their Christian values.

"Sin is so appealing because it's easy and because it's fun," the law student warned.

Regent University School of Law, founded by televangelist Pat Robertson to provide "Christian leadership to change the world," has worked hard in its two-decade history to upgrade its reputation, fighting past years when a majority of its graduates couldn't pass the bar exam and leading up to recent victories over Ivy League teams in national law student competitions.

Scandal puts spotlight on Christian law school - The Boston Globe

So what was the downside of that?

Liberty - they don't even know what the fuckin' word means.

These Randoids showed up to give Cruz the finger...

CAypDruWUAADtEf.jpg
Sort of the way our troops are required to attend Obama's speeches.

Who cares? It is a private university and can fine it's students how they see fit.

There was a private college not far from where I grew up where they would fine you for swearing or dancing on campus, unless it was square. No joke.
What are you? Like 12? You expect an adult to accept your zany rw *cough* "reasoning"? :eusa_hand:

Lord knows nothing screams adult like the "talk to the hand icon" in your post. lol

There is nothing zany about my reasoning. I think it is a stupid reason to levy a fine but it is a private university so...their roof, their rules.

It's convocation that they are required to attend and be fined if they skip. This particular convocation happened to have Ted Cruz speaking at it.

....well, then, by definition the gathering was NO LONGER a convocation but a political hack's rally.

Can't have it both ways, you know.

It was a convocation and he was the speaker at this particular one. Had he not been the speaker they still would be required to attend and get fined if they didn't.

Is it appropriate for them to bring in a political candidate for their convocation? That's a matter of opinion, but nonetheless, as has been pointed out, they are a private university and can do what they want.

Nobody is arguing that they aren't a private university nor is anyone saying they shouldn't do what they want as a private univesity. The point, I think, is that it is ironic to call yourself "liberty" university when you don't actually practice the idea.

It's convocation that they are required to attend and be fined if they skip. This particular convocation happened to have Ted Cruz speaking at it.

....well, then, by definition the gathering was NO LONGER a convocation but a political hack's rally.

It was a convocation and he was the speaker at this particular one. Had he not been the speaker they still would be required to attend and get fined if they didn't.

Is it appropriate for them to bring in a political candidate for their convocation? That's a matter of opinion, but nonetheless, as has been pointed out, they are a private university and can do what they want.

Nobody is arguing that they aren't a private university nor is anyone saying they shouldn't do what they want as a private univesity. The point, I think, is that it is ironic to call yourself "liberty" university when you don't actually practice the idea.
Calling it Jesus U might have made getting student loans more difficult. And the liberty there is that of a Catholic convent.

Who cares? It is a private university and can fine it's students how they see fit.

There was a private college not far from where I grew up where they would fine you for swearing or dancing on campus, unless it was square. No joke.

Oh my no. Who cares? If that happened for an Obama appearance there would 200 threads about it.

It wasn't though and Liberty is still a private university that can fine it's students as they see fit. Even for stupid reasons like skipping Cruz's speech. If the students have a problem with them assessing fines all willy-nilly then they will enroll elsewhere.

But Cruz could have exercised HIS alleged principles and refused to speak to a conscripted audience.

Any chance we could then get all you loony lefties to drink the Kool-aid?

You want a genocide of all liberals?

As a Jew, you want a genocide? Do we have to get in line behind the Palestinians?

First of all, ANYONE who cites Breibart (may the devil bless his soul) loses any form of validity.......but, just curious, was that plumber's first name, Joe?
Wow. The OP posts an article from the huff~n~puff and you have the gall to criticize Breitbart?

Liberty - they don't even know what the fuckin' word means.

These Randoids showed up to give Cruz the finger...

CAypDruWUAADtEf.jpg

They probably support Rand Paul's believe that businesses should have the right to refuse service to Hispanics.

Oh my no. Who cares? If that happened for an Obama appearance there would 200 threads about it.

It wasn't though and Liberty is still a private university that can fine it's students as they see fit. Even for stupid reasons like skipping Cruz's speech. If the students have a problem with them assessing fines all willy-nilly then they will enroll elsewhere.

But Cruz could have exercised HIS alleged principles and refused to speak to a conscripted audience.
Yep, but being Cuban he loves a captive audience.

Well he didn't. Personally, I am glad he spoke at Liberity University b/c it reminds everyone that he is just another Santorum/Huckabee social con. If Rick or Mike throw their hat into the ring it will be funny watching them trying to out social con each other. It is going to be hilarious.

I heard a lot of cheers. On the other hand it seems that students from more liberal universities would be either encouraged to commit assault on Senator Cruz or be diciplined in some way for attending. According to David Horowitz, author of "The Professors" and "Radical Son" every single high profile republican speaker has been the victim of a violent assault on a college campus sometime in their careers. Democrat party speakers don't have to worry.

David Horowitz lies about a lot of stuff.

Like what?

That's almost like asking for a list of Hannity or Limbaugh lies. Google it yourself. A question that dumb doesn't deserve an answer.

True, I never have seen you back up anything you post, why start now, if lies is all you have, then backing them up would be impossible.

Correct.

And Cruz seeks to codify the University's policies of exclusion and hostility to diversity.

That is a good point.

Forum List

Back