Looks like Judge Curiel broke some US judge codes "of conduct"

Fine, but your deliberate ignorance of the facts is disturbing. The two La Raza's are not connected.

Yet the lawyers group links to the National Council of LaRaza on their website, go figure, couldn't possibly be a connection, right?

No connection.

Right, their adopting the name of a racist organization (The Race) was just a simple coincidence. If you believe that I got some great ocean front property for ya in Montana.

It means 'the People' and it's no more an actionable indictment of a judge's eligibility than if a judge belongs to the NAACP or the Sons of Italy.

By your reasoning a Christian judge shouldn't be able to preside over a case involving a Muslim.

It means "the race," and it's a valid a reason for a judge not to preside over a case as if a judge who was a member of the KKK was presiding over the case of a black defendant.

If anyone really believed that- why haven't Trump's lawyers actually used that argument in court?

Fine, but your deliberate ignorance of the facts is disturbing. The two La Raza's are not connected.

Yet the lawyers group links to the National Council of LaRaza on their website, go figure, couldn't possibly be a connection, right?

No connection.

Right, their adopting the name of a racist organization (The Race) was just a simple coincidence. If you believe that I got some great ocean front property for ya in Montana.

It means 'the People' and it's no more an actionable indictment of a judge's eligibility than if a judge belongs to the NAACP or the Sons of Italy.

By your reasoning a Christian judge shouldn't be able to preside over a case involving a Muslim.

A christian judge should't preside over a case involving muslims if they have somehow demonstrated a bias against muslims or a preferential bais for muslims in general, or belong to an organization that does so. In fact they shouldn't be a judge. Also a judge who's actions can be reliably predicted based on the topic of a case instead of the facts of the case should not be allowed to remain in office.

Fascinating.

And absolutely none of that applies to Judge Curiel.

No connection.

It means "the race," and it's a valid a reason for a judge not to preside over a case as if a judge who was a member of the KKK was presiding over the case of a black defendant.

Nonsense. You have the right to advocate for racial, ethnic, religious, etc. groups in this country without being penalized if you are a judge.

"Penalized?" If a judge has a bias that might affect his rulings, then he has an obligation to recuse himself. It has nothing to do with any "penalties," dumbass.

Sort of true- of course so far the pro-Trump bigots haven't been able to find any such bias that Judge Curiel has.

No connection.

A christian judge should't preside over a case involving muslims if they have somehow demonstrated a bias against muslims or a preferential bais for muslims in general, or belong to an organization that does so. In fact they shouldn't be a judge. Also a judge who's actions can be reliably predicted based on the topic of a case instead of the facts of the case should not be allowed to remain in office.

Fascinating.

And absolutely none of that applies to Judge Curiel.

Wrong. I articulate why earlier in the thread, feel free to go back and read it.

Sort of true- of course so far the pro-Trump bigots haven't been able to find any such bias that Judge Curiel has.
wtf.gif
Are you drunk ? He has mountains of bias, all out in the open, that everyone knows (except you maybe).

What do you expect during the most lawless administration in US history?!

He's a member of organizations that are publicly attacking Trump and advocating boycotting Trump businesses. He should not have been allowed to preside over a case involving a Trump business. Period, end of story.

Cite?

Report: Trump University Judge Linked to Group that Calls for Boycott of Trump’s Businesses

Judge Gonzalo Curiel, who is overseeing a fraud case against Trump University, is reportedly a member of the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association, which is affiliated with the Hispanic National Bar Association.

The Hispanic National Bar Association sent out a press release last summer after Donald Trump, who is now the presumptive Republican nominee, announced he was running for president and created a controversy by discussing illegal immigration and crime during his announcement speech.

The press release stated the organization’s mission to target Trump’s “business interests,” according to the Conservative Treehouse.

More:
Judge Linked to Group that Calls for Boycott of Trump Businesses

Define "affiliated with".

Was the judge a member? Did he sign the press release?

He should have recused himself or been removed. He is very likely biased against Trump.

You have to have evidence of bias, and this doesn't come close to fitting the bill. What else do you have?

I've provided enough evidence to show that Trump is perfectly justified in feeling this Judge does have a bias against him. Being a member of orgs that are publicly calling for his head, is enough evidence. He shouldn't have been allowed to preside over this case.

He's a member of organizations that are publicly attacking Trump and advocating boycotting Trump businesses. He should not have been allowed to preside over a case involving a Trump business. Period, end of story.

Cite?

Report: Trump University Judge Linked to Group that Calls for Boycott of Trump’s Businesses

Judge Gonzalo Curiel, who is overseeing a fraud case against Trump University, is reportedly a member of the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association, which is affiliated with the Hispanic National Bar Association.

The Hispanic National Bar Association sent out a press release last summer after Donald Trump, who is now the presumptive Republican nominee, announced he was running for president and created a controversy by discussing illegal immigration and crime during his announcement speech.

The press release stated the organization’s mission to target Trump’s “business interests,” according to the Conservative Treehouse.

More:

He should have recused himself or been removed. He is very likely biased against Trump.

Trump hasn't even asked him to recuse himself.

The judge is likely biased against Trump only because most Americans are biased against Trump.

Irrelevant. A Judge who's a member of organizations calling for boycotts of Trump businesses, shouldn't be allowed to preside over a case involving a Tump business. It's unethical. He should have recused himself.

Press Release: The HNBA calls for a boycott of all of Trump business ventures, including golf courses, hotels, and restaurants. We salute NBC/Universal, Univision and Macy’s for ending their association with Trump, and we join them in standing up against bigotry and racist rhetoric. Other businesses and corporations should follow the lead of NBC/Universal, Univision and Macy’s and take similar actions against Donald Trump’s business interests. We can and will make a difference.

Trump is justified in believing there's been bias. And anyone in his shoes, would feel the same way.
Does the judge belong to the HBNA?

No?

Okay, then.

Being affiliated with organizations calling for Trump's head, is enough reason to suspect bias. And if you were in Trump's shoes, you would feel the same way.

If I was a defendent and I thought a judge was biased against me- I would have my lawyers ask the judge to recuse himself.

Trump has never done that.

Instead he has just impugned the judge in public.

The only one who has a demonstrated bias in this issue is Trump- against the judge.

Because he is a "Mexican"

Yes, he should have requested recusal. But the Judge should have volunteered to recuse himself. He's a member of virulently anti-Trump organizations. But he instead chose to be unethical.

Phony contrived hype, there is no evidence of misconduct by Judge Curiel in any of the motions in this case. Nothing detrimental to Trump's interests or defense can be found in any document or decision by this judge. Trump will not win against the judiciary attacking in this fashion, if anything his callous disregard for decency and proper decorum will end up costing him plenty no matter who ends up deciding his case.

Press Release: The HNBA calls for a boycott of all of Trump business ventures, including golf courses, hotels, and restaurants. We salute NBC/Universal, Univision and Macy’s for ending their association with Trump, and we join them in standing up against bigotry and racist rhetoric. Other businesses and corporations should follow the lead of NBC/Universal, Univision and Macy’s and take similar actions against Donald Trump’s business interests. We can and will make a difference.

Trump is justified in believing there's been bias. And anyone in his shoes, would feel the same way.
Does the judge belong to the HBNA?

No?

Okay, then.

Being affiliated with organizations calling for Trump's head, is enough reason to suspect bias. And if you were in Trump's shoes, you would feel the same way.

If I was a defendent and I thought a judge was biased against me- I would have my lawyers ask the judge to recuse himself.

Trump has never done that.

Instead he has just impugned the judge in public.

The only one who has a demonstrated bias in this issue is Trump- against the judge.

Because he is a "Mexican"

Yes, he should have requested recusal. But the Judge should have volunteered to recuse himself. He's a member of virulently anti-Trump organizations. But he instead chose to be unethical.

Still looking for the name of that organization and an example of the 'anti-Trump' activity it has engaged in.

More:

Trump hasn't even asked him to recuse himself.

The judge is likely biased against Trump only because most Americans are biased against Trump.

Irrelevant. A Judge who's a member of organizations calling for boycotts of Trump businesses, shouldn't be allowed to preside over a case involving a Tump business. It's unethical. He should have recused himself.

Still waiting to hear what that organization he is a member of.

Forum List

Back