Louisiana Governor knows this will increase his popularity

Should the 10 Commandments be displayed in public schools in America?

• Total voters
I am surprised that you would say that, given the fact that you are consistently on the right side of the issues. In this case, the issue is not coercion. It is favoritism for one religion over others. When I supervised a unit in a state agency in New Jersey, I had to deal with Jewish and Muslim employees who had to vie for and fight for the right to have their holiday off. Christians did not have to .
I am on the side of what I think is right. If it is not coercive, I have no trouble with Good Friday or Mardi Gras. But holidays, whether personal or religgious, should be evenly administered.

But if it is anybody's holy writing on the wall, then, no.

You have heard it said that they will put up a version of the 10 commandments in schools, but I say unto you whosoever will follow the establishment clause will avoid the fires of Christian Nationalism.

Why would it be overturned? The 10 commandments are represented in the Supreme Court of the US. It's also a historic document.

It already has. A Kentucky law was overturned in 1980. This entire process is moot. SCOTUS will never see it as the lower courts will overturn it based on precedent.

You have heard it said that they will put up a version of the 10 commandments in schools, but I say unto you whosoever will follow the establishment clause will avoid the fires of Christian Nationalism.

its in the declaration of independence ...
That is not any legal guidence for Constitution or law making.

It already has. A Kentucky law was overturned in 1980. This entire process is moot. SCOTUS will never see it as the lower courts will overturn it based on precedent.

And it will be appealed. You don't quit, you just keep pushing, kind of like the way the commies have pushed their crap on us. SCOTUS has abandon previous precedent more than 200 times, the latest being ROE.

The 10 commandments are part of our historical record in the US official documents of our founding. Any public school should have the choice to display it. I don't think it should be forced though.
We posted the 10 Commandments in our Florida classroom in the late 90, but the legislature did not require it, and it was funded by outside sources. I believe it was also overturned after I left.

Here is the KY case:
A similar Kentucky statute mandating that the Ten Commandments be posted in classrooms was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court 43 years ago. That case was Stone v. Graham, 449 U.S. 39 (1980). In a 5 to 4 decision, the Supreme Court ruled that the Ten Commandments is, obviously, a religious text, and that the state’s requirement that it be posted in classrooms was a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. The Establishment Clause forbids the government from establishing an official religion and also prohibits government from any action that favors one religion over another.

And it will be appealed. You don't quit, you just keep pushing, kind of like the way the commies have pushed their crap on us. SCOTUS has abandon previous precedent more than 200 times, the latest being ROE.

This has been done by Kentucky, Florida and Texas since it first occurred and that are just three that was able to find. This is simply ignorant politicians trying to drum up support for religion in schools that is blatantly unconstitutional.

The La Gov is right. By drawing this much attention to himself, he automatically becomes more popular. Politicians are entertainers after all.

That is not any legal guidence for Constitution or law making.

it states that our rights are endowed by GOD .

So things that were perfectly legal in the colonies that set up the federal government suddenly became illegal when they ratified the Constitution? States had official religions that were supported by the States. And all churches are subsidized by the federal and State governments via having tax exempt status. Exactly what religion do you think is being established in LA?

That was the key point you missed. States did not have to abide by the Bill of Rights until the 14th Amendment in the 1860s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's just a lie, the prohibition was on congress, not the States, at the time of ratification. SCOTUS took it upon themselves to rewrite the 1st Amendment. That may well change with this case. BTW, why didn't you answer my question?

No. Again, states were required to follow the Bill of Rights by the 14th Amendment.

Forum List

Back