Lousy Jobs Report

...................................^^^^^TMN is an intellectually bankrupt idiot^^^^^^

Since 2009?

The deficit has been going down.

Feel free to argue the facts and the reality.

but debt has been going up...
Projected and Recent US Federal Debt Numbers
.............Gross..............Debt Held..................

.............Federal Debt.......by Public.....Debt Held by
................................................Federal Reserve
FY 2013* $17.5 trillion $10.6 trillion $2.1 trillion
FY 2012* $16.4 trillion $9.7 trillion $1.9 trillion
FY 2011 $14.8 trillion $8.5 trillion $1.7 trillion
FY 2010 $13.5 trillion $8.2 trillion $0.8 trillion
FY 2009 $11.9 trillion $6.8 trillion $0.8 trillion
FY 2008 $10.0 trillion $5.3 trillion $0.5 trillion

“Gross Federal Debt” is the total debt owed by the United States federal government. It comprises “Debt Held by Public”, including foreign governments, debt held by federal government accounts such as IOUs owed to the Social Security trust fund, and “Debt held by Federal Reserve,” debt bought by the Federal Reserve System as part of the monetary base.

You do understand the difference, right?

Between debt and deficit?

do you understand how they correlate?

Not really surprised by this report I wonder what the unemployment rate would be if we counted those who dropped out of the workforce and stopped looking?

A lot higher
1zhelp.gif

Not really surprised by this report I wonder what the unemployment rate would be if we counted those who dropped out of the workforce and stopped looking?

Table A-15 Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization

U-4 Total unemployed plus discouraged workers, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus discouraged workers = 8.1% (down from 8.3% in Feb)

U-5 Total unemployed, plus discouraged workers, plus all other persons marginally attached to the labor force, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force = 8.9% (down from 9.2%)

Persons marginally attached to the labor force are those who currently are neither working nor looking for work but indicate that they want and are available for a job and have looked for work sometime in the past 12 months. Discouraged workers, a subset of the marginally attached, have given a job-market related reason for not currently looking for work.

So Congressional attempts to reign in the economy are working

God bless the sequester
Oh look. The resident 'head in ass' expert has opined.

Pulling money out of the economy results in reduced jobs growth.......surprise, surprise, surprise
Pulling regulations out of the economy results in real and lasting growth and creates, by orders of magnitude, more jobs than government.

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

U-4 Total unemployed plus discouraged workers, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus discouraged workers = 8.1% (down from 8.3% in Feb)

U-5 Total unemployed, plus discouraged workers, plus all other persons marginally attached to the labor force, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force = 8.9% (down from 9.2%)

Persons marginally attached to the labor force are those who currently are neither working nor looking for work but indicate that they want and are available for a job and have looked for work sometime in the past 12 months. Discouraged workers, a subset of the marginally attached, have given a job-market related reason for not currently looking for work.

Uh Dood. The percentages are down only because so many Long Term Unemployed People are no longer included in the Denominator.

Uh Dood. The percentages are down only because so many Long Term Unemployed People are no longer included in the Denominator.
Ummm there's no time limit on being unemployed. No long term unemployed are excluded from either numerator or denominator.

Here you go. According to Shadow Stats, actual UE is well over 20%:

Alternate Unemployment Charts

You haven't really examined his numbers, have you? Try. Simple math: calculate how many people he's adding to the U6 to get his rate. I think it'll surprise you.

I have - and the resulting calculation confirms that You Are An Idiot.

I'm an idiot for thinking that adding 4 times as many people than even want a job (who are not already included) is nonsense?

You haven't done the math. But feel free to prove me wrong and show the math. Then I'll laugh at you because your math will be wrong.

But of course you won't. You're too embarrassed that you can't figure out how to do the math so you'll just ignore me or throw more insults.

In a few days I'll show the math, which I'm pretty sure I've already done and you've ignored.

Ummm there's no time limit on being unemployed. No long term unemployed are excluded from either numerator or denominator.

That is incorrect. The BLS excludes long term unemployed who have just plain given up looking for a job from the workforce. In order to be counted as part of the workforce, an individual must indicate they want a job or are available for work. People who have given up are not counted. Not counting them is disingenuous as many driven to that state wouldn't feel that way if they economy weren't so horrible.

You haven't really examined his numbers, have you? Try. Simple math: calculate how many people he's adding to the U6 to get his rate. I think it'll surprise you.

I'm an idiot for thinking that adding 4 times as many people than even want a job (who are not already included) is nonsense?

You haven't done the math. But feel free to prove me wrong and show the math. Then I'll laugh at you because your math will be wrong.

But of course you won't. You're too embarrassed that you can't figure out how to do the math so you'll just ignore me or throw more insults.

In a few days I'll show the math, which I'm pretty sure I've already done and you've ignored.

You have no idea what you are talking about. There are 3M less employed people now than when Obama took office.

That is incorrect. The BLS excludes long term unemployed who have just plain given up looking for a job from the workforce.
Long term or short term is irrelevant. If you haven't looked for work during the month in question, then you're not unemployed that month. Some of the people classified as unemployed have been unemployed for 5 years or longer.

In order to be counted as part of the workforce, an individual must indicate they want a job or are available for work.
Want, are available, and looking for work. That's always been the definition of unemployed. .

People who have given up are not counted.
Of course not, why would you? The point is to measure people failing to get work. Those who could have been hired but weren't. Those not trying to work, regardless of why, could not have been hired, so are not unemployed. Seriously, when trying to analyze the labor market for March, what does someone who hasn't looked for work in months tell you about the conditions in March?

You have no idea what you are talking about. There are 3M less employed people now than when Obama took office.
This is true, but entirely irrelevant to what I wrote. Try again, show the math that supports shadowstats numbers.

Here is the real story... I get so sick of the liberal "pick and choose" method of evaluating the state of the American force.

New economic numbers out today stink to high heaven! A paltry 88K jobs added. A net 496K dropping out of the labor force. The lowest labor participation rate since 1979.

Oh goody gumdrops media, unemployment dropped from 7.7% to 7.6%. Hey, if everyone just gives up looking for work that number will be ZERO.

Oh well, the media’s only job is to make O’s low-info crowd happy. This has been happening since January 2009. Since O took office:

1) 1.4 million more are on Federal disability. More than the population of Hawaii.

2) 9.46 million more are out of the labor force. The population of HI plus Virginia.

3) 10 million more now live in poverty. The population of HI, VA plus Wyoming.

4) 16 million more are on food stamps. The population of HI, VA, WY plus Missouri.

Brain-dead Obots re-elected the worst president in our lifetime. TRUTH!

That is incorrect. The BLS excludes long term unemployed who have just plain given up looking for a job from the workforce. In order to be counted as part of the workforce, an individual must indicate they want a job or are available for work. People who have given up are not counted. Not counting them is disingenuous as many driven to that state wouldn't feel that way if they economy weren't so horrible.

I do hear this a lot but I've always wondered: where do they go?

If they give up looking for work, it's because......... what? They didn't really need the money anyway? Did they suddenly become independently wealthy? Or did they just give up looking for work and now they sit at home and starve to death?

Forum List

Back