Mafia Discussion Thread: Keep Your Torches and Pitchforks at Home!

Basically it's like a way where you share exactly what you're thinking at this very moment, letting you know in no uncertain detail that I'm sharing my very exact and honest thoughts without any hint or trace of deceit, pre-planning, or manipulation, so that you'll better trust me because a Townie like me can talk really quickly and honestly straight from the mind.

OMGUS!!! Wait until you play with the people here. You will quickly realize honesty is a capital offense. It is a horrible dynamic unless, of course, you are playing against scum designated as "town". LOL

I certainly found that out.......:)

Basically it's like a way where you share exactly what you're thinking at this very moment, letting you know in no uncertain detail that I'm sharing my very exact and honest thoughts without any hint or trace of deceit, pre-planning, or manipulation, so that you'll better trust me because a Townie like me can talk really quickly and honestly straight from the mind.

OMGUS!!! Wait until you play with the people here. You will quickly realize honesty is a capital offense. It is a horrible dynamic unless, of course, you are playing against scum designated as "town". LOL

I am thinking we create a trophy and call it the Moonglow Award :tomato:

I am thinking we create a trophy and call it the Moonglow Award :tomato:

That would be appropriate. But, considering that most of us from this board are new at the game, we should at least be given some leeway. I'm here to learn, but it's hard to learn when people are shouting at you that you are Scum and want you banned from the game for no other reason than that you thought they were Scum.

That would be appropriate. But, considering that most of us from this board are new at the game, we should at least be given some leeway. I'm here to learn, but it's hard to learn when people are shouting at you that you are Scum and want you banned from the game for no other reason than that you thought they were Scum.

Not giving leeway is the bigger newby mistake IMO. Anyways, I believe that if you are not still learning, you aren't really playing no matter how long you have been at this game.

You two and Sameech are more creative than I am. How do you come up with all these good ideas anyway?

BTW, I think some of the best mods set up games with lots of twists in part by finding new ways to achieve the same thing as traditional roles. Suppose for instance you decide you want scum to have an extra kill shot on town. You could do that as a giving a scum a vig or you could achieve the same effect by giving them the power to end 1 day at any point the choose, giving them the extra NK, but at the price of say giving the cop an extra night to investigate too. Would they, wouldn't they, would they do it right after the day started, would they wait and use it as a way to make it look like the person being wagoned did it if their effort was stalling out, would they use it to save themselves from the hammer. Hard to say. I like the idea of shifting risk of decisions onto scum a little so they don't just get to sit back and play a war of attrition with mislynches and NK being their only skin in the game.

Just look for ways people would not expect to achieve the same thing that the traditional role powers do.

If you can figure out how to make waves, while being civil/analytical/honest/active/persuasive... that's powerful indeed. You'll then become the threat Scum immediately wants to kill Night 1...

So your advice to people is to always be the first person NK'd? Doesn't sound like a solid pro-town position to me...

It should be noted that I have never played Mafia on USMB. Only modded games. The majority of my gameplay has been on the main Mafia site. I'll adapt. :D

If you can figure out how to make waves, while being civil/analytical/honest/active/persuasive... that's powerful indeed. You'll then become the threat Scum immediately wants to kill Night 1...

So your advice to people is to always be the first person NK'd? Doesn't sound like a solid pro-town position to me...

It should be noted that I have never played Mafia on USMB. Only modded games. The majority of my gameplay has been on the main Mafia site. I'll adapt. :D

I agree that making waves and taking stances is protown behavior. But, as scum I was always looking for possible PR's to take out. I figured the ones laying low were hiding something.

Your plan only works if most other people are doing the same. USMB is not most game sites LOL

Part of my strategy is to be very direct, honest, and vocal. Even if I'm possibly wrong that shouldn't keep me from doing what I need to do to pull my weigh in order to bring Town's victory ever closer. This is a sample post of how I usually play, although I deliberately change my playstyle and behavior from time to time (Mini Normal 1609 The Case Of Doctor Pepper bull mafiascum.net

I think there are pockets of time in the game when you're better heard, and other times when you aren't. If someone hasn't posted in over 12 hours or so, and you send a post with your thoughts, chances are it will be more likely to be received and responded to. When the game's flowing and churning, and pages are going by, if you send in a large post it'll likely get glossed over in the undercurrent. Timing I'm finding is pretty important in the game. Right now I'm trying to fine-tune exactly when I should make my moves, and when I should hold back. Timing and patience are important tools. Striking when a player is reeling from someone else's blows could teeter your target into nervousness, and waiting could serve you as well when other discussions are under foot.

Part of my strategy is to be very direct, honest, and vocal. Even if I'm possibly wrong that shouldn't keep me from doing what I need to do to pull my weigh in order to bring Town's victory ever closer. This is a sample post of how I usually play, although I deliberately change my playstyle and behavior from time to time (Mini Normal 1609 The Case Of Doctor Pepper bull mafiascum.net

I think there are pockets of time in the game when you're better heard, and other times when you aren't. If someone hasn't posted in over 12 hours or so, and you send a post with your thoughts, chances are it will be more likely to be received and responded to. When the game's flowing and churning, and pages are going by, if you send in a large post it'll likely get glossed over in the undercurrent. Timing I'm finding is pretty important in the game. Right now I'm trying to fine-tune exactly when I should make my moves, and when I should hold back. Timing and patience are important tools. Striking when a player is reeling from someone else's blows could teeter your target into nervousness, and waiting could serve you as well when other discussions are under foot.

Scum should do more good cop/bad cop routines I think. It is a way to pick up town allies.

I agree that making waves and taking stances is protown behavior. But, as scum I was always looking for possible PR's to take out. I figured the ones laying low were hiding something.

When you're Scum, the last thing you want to do is be overt about hunting PRs. Even the subtlest hint is way too much. Wait. Wait for claims to happen. Let them do your work for you. Sometimes inexperienced PRs lurk, but when I'm a PR I am insanely active like a VT. Wait until someone at L-1 claims VT: you'll want to not target that player for the NK just yet. If multiple PR claims happen, try using your best judgment while factoring in all of the possibilities the game allows. It does get easier with experience and familiarity. Sometimes it's better simply to take out the most vocal and Towniest Townie out there, VT or not.

As Scum, I more fear the extremely pro-Town VT than the somewhat Scummy and unhelpful PR.

When you're Scum, the last thing you want to do is be overt about hunting PRs. Even the subtlest hint is way too much. Wait. Wait for claims to happen. Let them do your work for you. Sometimes inexperienced PRs lurk, but when I'm a PR I am insanely active like a VT. Wait until someone at L-1 claims VT: you'll want to not target that player for the NK just yet. If multiple PR claims happen, try using your best judgment while factoring in all of the possibilities the game allows. It does get easier with experience and familiarity. Sometimes it's better simply to take out the most vocal and Towniest Townie out there, VT or not.

As Scum, I more fear the extremely pro-Town VT than the somewhat Scummy and unhelpful PR.

PR hunting was my big thing in game 3 because there were way too many of them to ignore. But I wasn't obvious about it except for Ropey but let's not go there. I would just make a note to myself if I saw something in their posts and at night I would say, so and so has a PR, let's take them out. I caught Luissa just one day too late when she used the word investigate in one of her posts. I find PR's have a hard time completely hiding if you know what to look for. But that was just that game. Every circumstance is different. In game 4 I would of wanted to take out the masons but I would of been looking for the townie that was making me the most nervous with being active and outspoken. I would love to talk about this in regards to the current game but I will refrain for now.

when I see someone trailing PR crumbs I usually think: could be a VT drawing the NK; could be a scum wanting the real PR to call them; could be the real PR. I don't think PR's matter as much in effect as some do, unless they get an extra kill, because investigates here have yet to reveal their investigations (well except yours truly and look how that turned out for the poor night watchman)

Yeah, Wake, maybe as we (noobs) become more savvy we will be able to take care of everything we need to say in one line.....that's a real challenge...:)

I agree...I think that, plus the fact that Scum Teams couldn't coordinate was what kept me alive for so long. Having a melt down just works the opposite.

Yeah, Wake, maybe as we (noobs) become more savvy we will be able to take care of everything we need to say in one line.....that's a real challenge...:)

That reminds me...

Some master-ranked players at the main site only contain one or two sentences per post. It's a very different playstyle, but far less stressful. I tend to beef up my posts, but my weakness is that sometimes they're glossed over... or I don't get the feedback I'm looking for.

There are so many ways to play the game.

when I see someone trailing PR crumbs I usually think: could be a VT drawing the NK; could be a scum wanting the real PR to call them; could be the real PR. I don't think PR's matter as much in effect as some do, unless they get an extra kill, because investigates here have yet to reveal their investigations (well except yours truly and look how that turned out for the poor night watchman)

This is where I need a lot more work as a player. All this crumbing PR stuff is just not something I have taken much stock in until very recently. I probably should though.

That reminds me...

Some master-ranked players at the main site only contain one or two sentences per post. It's a very different playstyle, but far less stressful. I tend to beef up my posts, but my weakness is that sometimes they're glossed over... or I don't get the feedback I'm looking for.

I have figured out that the long drawn out posts (walls) get glossed over....I'm working on saying more with less.

I'd rather people said more than less in these games.

That reminds me...

I disagree with those people. Lurker players are parasites IMO.

This is where I need a lot more work as a player. All this crumbing PR stuff is just not something I have taken much stock in until very recently. I probably should though.

You shouldn't take stock in it yet here. It is irrelevant until the group gets to the point that they are willing to coordinate a night plan in the open in the face of scum to thwart them at an end game. Until then, they are just random factors over which you have no control and should exert no energy IMO.

That reminds me...

I have figured out that the long drawn out posts (walls) get glossed over....I'm working on saying more with less.

I don't think I read a single one of TN's walls of quotes LOL. I would look to see if I was quoted in it, but never looked at any other part of them.

Forum List

Back