Man Cannot Be Suitably Moral or Good without God. Here's why:

How many atheists do you know consider sex outside marriage and/or masturbation immoral?
I say zero.

Okay but what is your scale of "moral" and "immoral"? You realize Jesus Christ Himself, upon being called the Good teacher, said, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone..." Luke 18:19

If you are saying that non-Christians do not live by Christian precepts--well you are right. Does that mean they are "immoral"? Not necessarily. And Jesus pointed this out many times.

Nope. That is absolute bullshit. For hundreds of years our Christian ancestors were tortured and killed by nonbelievers in an effort to wipe them out. Mine persevered. And no one forces me to do anything...
That's bs, you need to look back further.

There is no ‘god’ as perceived by theists; religion and ‘god’ are creations of man – there’s nothing to ‘reject.’

Humans are therefore perfectly capable of being moral and good absent religious doctrine and dogma.

Indeed, the most infamous manifestations of immorality and evil have been the consequence of religion and ‘god.’

And individuals free from religion are among those the most moral and good.

If there is no God morality is a false construct.

We are molecules in motion; nothing more than space dust hurling around on some outbound rock destined for destruction.

So, do what you want. It doesn't matter.

But to take a quote and call it fact or the word of God… I don’t think so. It’s the word of man’s interpretation of God
Pretty much what I was taught. All words were filtered by man. That is a given. Further, outside of Hebrew, the meanings of words evolve and change. Plus, words can be twisted to fit any agenda. That is why I believe it vital to know what was on the original agenda of the original writer. And to understand that, one must read up on the history, culture, and language of the time.

Even in a lifetime, we cannot cover it all--only a small fraction at best.

Okay but what is your scale of "moral" and "immoral"? You realize Jesus Christ Himself, upon being called the Good teacher, said, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone..." Luke 18:19

If you are saying that non-Christians do not live by Christian precepts--well you are right. Does that mean they are "immoral"? Not necessarily. And Jesus pointed this out many times.
Please do not do a bible quote again. I will not say this again.

Absolutely, any number of moments/experiences can be inspiring, uplifting, or bring clarity and understanding about life. I find nature to be very cathartic and enlightening.
As do many. The question is do they effect a change in how you go about life?

I argue that rainbows can and did. The rainbow was pretty much credited with such back in Biblical times.

Still, much of the time, they serve only as a reprieve from the usual daily life, but do not effect permanent change.

Morality does not need god. It just needs evolutionary logic.

Species that kill themselves don't tend to survive and reproduce.

Except Humans that believe in religions. We're the only ones...

You can't argue with Meri.

She's too nice of a person to curse out, and she will not let go of her religious fanaticism.

So just let it go.
No, don't let it go! I enjoy these discussions with you! Yes, sometimes it is rightly suggested I take off the rose-colored glasses, but I see so much good in the world, and how beauty can grow out of a mess.

Pretty much what I was taught. All words were filtered by man. That is a given. Further, outside of Hebrew, the meanings of words evolve and change. Plus, words can be twisted to fit any agenda. That is why I believe it vital to know what was on the original agenda of the original writer. And to understand that, one must read up on the history, culture, and language of the time.

If the Bible is not the inspired Word of God it's just a bunch of nice stories from history.

And if that's all it is, I'll take Jane Austen. *shrug*

But you must see the flaw in that argument… again if it was truly the word of God then it would have the ability to transcend all of that. The fact that it was all written through the filter of man makes it no different than any other writing. Take the book Siddhartha for example. A story written by man about a spiritual journey. God can be found in this writing just as potently as the Bible. Agree or no?

No, don't let it go! I enjoy these discussions with you! Yes, sometimes it is rightly suggested I take off the rose-colored glasses, but I see so much good in the world, and how beauty can grow out of a mess.
I love you Meri, and i love how you post. Though I disagree heavily! :)

I have my point of view, and you're never going to change it, and I realize that i will never change yours.

You're a good person, regardless of how you got there.

As do many. The question is do they effect a change in how you go about life?

I argue that rainbows can and did. The rainbow was pretty much credited with such back in Biblical times.

Still, much of the time, they serve only as a reprieve from the usual daily life, but do not effect permanent change.
The most impactful things that effect how we live our lives come from interactions with others. That’s were we learn, observe and reflect on the “cause and effect” of life. Sometimes we read literature or watch movies and study other peoples experiences to learn these life lessons. This is why the Bible and church is so impactful. It merges everything and applies a focus and intent. Not a bad thing at all in it purest form. But also not the One and Only way to get there.

Way too little, way too late. Didn't even address the horrors of the Crusades or the Inquisition. It was not a happy time back then. Your Santa Claus religion was not very happy for women and children back then.

That's when they made you believe.
Have you done an intense and thorough investigation of the Inquisitions? Most of them ended well for those who insisted they be tried by the Church not the State. The lone exception to this was the Spanish Inquisition which was indeed a horror. All but a handful of deaths that occurred during that Inquisition was the work of one man. I would argue he was one of the early serial killers, but sometimes I get a bit overly dramatic. Still, Tomás de Torquemada, is considered one of the worst psychopaths of all time.

As far as the Crusades...what do you do with Armies who are out of work? Start a war. Some parts of the Crusades were actually helpful; other parts were horror. I doubt there ever has been a war that did not have elements of both. The Crusades did take on the battle cry of, "Do it for God." Over the years that motto began to lose its impact through overuse. Thus came the day of, "Do it for Mom, Country, and Apple Pie." However moms (like God) were not all that happy about their children going off to war, so that didn't last long.

If you can believe in the god-construct, you have to leave open the alien option.

Aliens were our gods, back from the Sumerian times. Actually they weren't "gods" they were just the Anunnaki. "Those Who From Heaven to Earth Came".

Why is that the absolute true religion?
The Catholic Church does not claim it is the only religion. Through scripture and Apostolic tradition, its claim is staying true to Jesus' life and teachings. Jesus promised his way was the Way of Eternal Life--and in the reach of everyone. The Catholic Church teaches this way--and this way only. Christ did not give his followers and successors the authority to teach Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, etc. They were to teach the Gospel of Jesus the way he lived it. That is all the authority they had/have.

Absolute true religion is serving God (Goodness if one has no belief in God) and one's family, neighbors, community. My belief is that God meets us where we are and, from that point, draws the willing closer to Him.

The AN.UN.NA.KI taught us everything. From math to science to writing to law. Everything the Sumerians knew, they said were taught to them by the Anunnaki.

That includes a sexigesimal counting system, that was never used again. I understand it, but it's based on 12 and 60. Like our clocks today. But it is not something that a 10-fingered primitive society would come up with. They invented the 12/60 math.
And it's because they were taught by the Anunnaki.

One of the common things I've heard from atheists is "You don't need God in order to be moral". In fact, I've met atheists/irreligious who were friendly and helpful and appeared on the surface to be perhaps as Christlike as some Christians in their behavior. I knew a guy named Richard just like that who owned a store in my hometown. Very friendly and nice, but totally irreligious. I always wondered how this was so.

This conundrum was explained to be in the sermon at Mass this evening. The short answer is atheists are sinful and unfit for Heaven until they find God. Being overtly nice is not enough. Here's why:
St. Paul says humans are innately sinful. Without assistance from God, atheists have no way to escape their sinful nature. You have to be pure sexually. You can't gossip about others, you can't be prone to anger. Here is the full list:

Galations 5: 19-24
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy,[d] drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do[e] such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm here to tell you it's difficult to overcome some of these vices. How easy is it to gossip about someone, or get angry, or sow discord, or envy someone, or be caught up in worldly desires such as wanting a fine car or home, trying to attain riches or to satisfy sexual urges in immoral ways. It's hard enough for practicing Christians to avoid these things even with consistent prayer. It is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid them without prayer and without God. It is impossible for atheists to have all the positive characteristics in the Galatians passage above and none of the negative. Nobody in this forum or anywhere else knows an atheist who follows all these laws.

My friend Richard? Turns out in his store, he rented out extremely X-rated nasty videos on the side. Beneath his friendly veneer were a lot of problems. A lot of sexual deviancy. And he had nothing to fight them with. He didn't enlist God's help to fight them. He had no chance.

So to the question of "Why do you need God in order to be a good person"? The answer is; because man is innately sinful, and if left alone without God, will remain in those sins.
Your magical chants and incantations hold no power, shaman.

And its all bullshit anyway. You have far better morality than yhe gross, evil God character of the Bible, and better than any stunted, ignorant, primitive code laid out in the Bible.

And your morality is better precisely because of far superior, SECULAR ideas. Your morality chiefly derives from the time and place you were born. And you enjoy better morality and ethics than anything in the iron age boo of mythology because of the enlightenment of secular ideas like classical liberalism and scientific enlightenment.

In short, your morality is better than anything in the primitive Bible, and it is better quite in spite of that primitive, ignorant, superstitious book of mythology.

Forum List

Back