Man opens fire on police

Besides, despite a rifle typically being more accurate than a handgun, and "many" shots being fired in three separate towns, the only injury is listed as Not life threatening. In fact, they are not sure if the officer was hurt by the bullet or by "...debris from the shot".

I would call that very lucky.

Yes, you could say that. It could also be that who ever is shooting is not trying to kill anyone. If you fire a lot of rounds at cops in three different cities, and hit no one, you are either an incredibly bad shot or were not trying to hit anyone.

Then even more luck.

So the high capacity magazine is why the shooter is dangerous?

Helps make him more dangerous. Lots of examples of hi cap magazines used for evil, but never good.

How does it make him more dangerous? I can see the situations like when Senator Giffords was shot. The shooter botched the reload and was tackled by bystanders. So the thinking is if the shooter has to reload more often it increases the chance someone can grab him. I saw nothing that says anyone was within range of grabbing the rifle.

He can keep shooting without worry of needing to reload. Not going to have someone in his sights and pull the trigger to find he's empty.

So high cap mags are super magical limitless ammunition reservoirs?

Well, it takes a certain amount of space in the magazine to hold all that magick so there is always another round ready.

Ya it's the magazine capacity that's critical in this story.

Yes why would you want to slow down a criminals shooting. Silly me.

It takes an experienced shooter a couple of seconds to swap out a mag.

in gun free zones

the shooter often times

has all the time in the world to swap mags

Giffords shooting was not in gun free zone. Shooter was stopped by unarmed people when he tried to reload.

Besides, despite a rifle typically being more accurate than a handgun, and "many" shots being fired in three separate towns, the only injury is listed as Not life threatening. In fact, they are not sure if the officer was hurt by the bullet or by "...debris from the shot".

I would call that very lucky.

Yes, you could say that. It could also be that who ever is shooting is not trying to kill anyone. If you fire a lot of rounds at cops in three different cities, and hit no one, you are either an incredibly bad shot or were not trying to hit anyone.

Then even more luck.

Luck that the shooter intended to shoot cars and not people? ok.

in gun free zones

the shooter often times

Giffords shooting was not in gun free zone. Shooter was stopped by unarmed people when he tried to reload.

Yep, when he bungled the reload. But those people were very close to the shooter. A situation not likely to happen with a rifle shooter.

in gun free zones

the shooter often times

first i said "often" secondly "gun free zone"

Even experienced shooters in not life threatening situations fail reloads at the range with the magazine sitting on a table in front of them.

Really? I don't own many semi-autos, but I have never failed at a reload at the range. Not one single time. It is a very simple action.

Sounds pretty low stress. And yes YouTube is full of videos of failed reloads. People drop magazines or just have very slow reload. That would let people run away or stop the shooter.

in gun free zones

the shooter often times

Yep, when he bungled the reload. But those people were very close to the shooter. A situation not likely to happen with a rifle shooter.

But with rifle he might pull the trigger to find he's empty allowing someone to get away.

in gun free zones

the shooter often times

But with rifle he might pull the trigger to find he's empty allowing someone to get away.

Looks like someone has a case of "mabye-coulda-mighta-itis.

in gun free zones

the shooter often times

Hi cap magazines are often used by criminals. Never needed for defense.

Helps make him more dangerous. Lots of examples of hi cap magazines used for evil, but never good.

How does it make him more dangerous? I can see the situations like when Senator Giffords was shot. The shooter botched the reload and was tackled by bystanders. So the thinking is if the shooter has to reload more often it increases the chance someone can grab him. I saw nothing that says anyone was within range of grabbing the rifle.

He can keep shooting without worry of needing to reload. Not going to have someone in his sights and pull the trigger to find he's empty.

Nope but why not make criminals reload often? Defenses in the vast majority are only 2 shots. Criminals like this guy and mass shooters however like to empty the magazine.

Mass shooters? You mean the rare events that cause less than 1% of the deaths by firearm in this country?

I have had some relatively high capacity magazines for rifles in the past. It made it easier at the range. I do not see where banning them will have much effect on murders.

Nope but why not make criminals reload often? Defenses in the vast majority are only 2 shots. Criminals like this guy and mass shooters however like to empty the magazine.

Because I don't feel like putting citizens at a disadvantage over criminals, who will not follow said mag limits.

If this is such a great idea why not restrict cops on how many rounds per mag?

in gun free zones

the shooter often times

Sounds like you want criminals to be as well armed as possible.

in gun free zones

the shooter often times

Then the cops don't need them either.

Even experienced shooters in not life threatening situations fail reloads at the range with the magazine sitting on a table in front of them.

Really? I don't own many semi-autos, but I have never failed at a reload at the range. Not one single time. It is a very simple action.

Sounds pretty low stress. And yes YouTube is full of videos of failed reloads. People drop magazines or just have very slow reload. That would let people run away or stop the shooter.

In a handgun situation you might be right. In a situation such as the OP talks about, no one is running to the rifle shooter.

in gun free zones

the shooter often times

Sounds like you want criminals to be as well armed as possible.

No, you want your fellow law abiding citizens as under armed as possible.

in gun free zones

the shooter often times

How nice of you to know (for sure) what anyone will need in the future.

As I said, I don't own many semiautos, and the only defensive semiauto firearm holds only 8 rounds. But I do not decide for anyone else. And I do not think lower capacity magazines will do any good.

Why is it shooting 10 people is ok, but shooting 15 is bad?

Forum List

Back