Manafort Jury: Guilty or Innocent?

Manafort Jury: Guilty or Innocent?

• Guilty

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Innocent

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters
I dunno; seems he might go on some minor charges; wouldn't be surprised....but maybe time served and a fine. Anything is possible.

Greg

Did I say that? No, I didn't. We don't yet know what the problem with the jury was.

why are we assuming there is any problem with the jury?

Because it was reported in the news. In fact, the judge spent several hours with the jury regarding whatever it was.

Link?

I heard the news when it happened on CNN and/or MSNBC thanks to reporters in the courtroom. Can't you do your own research?

The closed hearing came after the judge delayed Manafort's trial for hours last Friday without explanation. The judge left the courtroom that day toward the jury room, and later admonished jurors repeatedly to not discuss the case.

Defence rests case in Manafort trial

Manafort trial judge delays testimony for hours, without explanation

So you jumped from that to "something is wrong with the jury"?

I didn't "jump" to anything. As was widely reported when it happened, there was reportedly an "issue" of some kind regarding the jury - so the judge reportedly spent several hours in the jury room.

Judge T.S. Ellis III mysteriously delayed testimony in the case of ex-Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort for five hours on Friday, pushing off the day's proceedings as prosecutors once again complained about his criticism of them.

Later Friday afternoon, hours after proceedings were supposed to start, Ellis gaveled back in and called for the next witness to take the stand. He did not explain the delay.

The postponement was significant, as prosecutors had been hoping to finish calling witnesses Friday -- and Ellis has a reputation as a stickler for keeping trials moving.

It’s not clear if the delay was connected to the complaint filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team. Earlier, Ellis empathically reminded the jury that they must refrain from talking about the case with others – stoking speculation the delay could be related instead to juror issues.

Manafort trial judge delays testimony for hours, without explanation

“Ladies and gentlemen, the star witness in this case is the documents,” Andres said. Manafort, he said, is “not above the law.”

But I would say that Mueller isn't above the law either. And I don't see him as the pinnacle of virtue.

Just on that basis, Mr. Manafort should be declared Innocent as a newborn babe.

During Manafort’s trial he was accused of jury tampering. It is possible that one of the Jurors was approached and warned that if he/she did not vote not guilty he/she would “regret” it.

This could be part of what the Judge was deliberating about in closed doors.

Could Putin have somehow influenced the jury? We are in more trouble than I initially thought!

That is a real possibility - considering Manafort's connections to Russia.

So if he is found not guilty we are going to blame Russia?
It’s the default blame when things don’t turn out the way they feel things should
It’s preloaded for later this year and 2020

Russians blow up courthouse with Satan II missile, and blame Ukrainians, film at 11.

this little adventure in group therapy that is the Trump presidency is unlikely to end anytime soon. SIX MORE YEARS!

The jury has sent a note to the Judge asking to go home
at 5pm on Friday. One of the jurors has some social
engagement to go to.

Manafort jury asks to go home at 5 p.m. on Friday

I would venture to guess, this jury is nowhere near a decision and some don't
plan on changing their minds.

This is really shaping up to be a hung jury

Or a careful and thorough jury. They have 18 counts to consider.

Last edited:
The jury has sent a note to the Judge asking to go home
at 5pm on Friday. One of the jurors has some social
engagement to go to.

Manafort jury asks to go home at 5 p.m. on Friday

I would venture to guess, this jury is nowhere near a decision and some don't
plan on changing their minds.

This is really shaping up to be a hung jury

Or a careful and thorough jury.

Possible. But if you're going to get a conviction it usually comes pretty
quickly. Now I'm not sure what time they sent the note but it was
around 2:30 pm when I heard it on tv. That tells me that they do not
believe they will be completed in 3 more hours. They've got hold-outs
one way or another.

If I'm the GOP and Mueller were to strike out on all 18 counts, I would
be preparing my arguments against him.

The DOJ refused to prosecute this same case 10 years ago. It has
nothing to do with Russia, which he is supposed to be pursuing.
The cost of this is rising daily. I'd include the possibility, that he is
just grandstanding with this trying to get any type of conviction to
prove his existence.

This ends in a hung jury...the pressure on Mueller will mount big-time

Or a careful and thorough jury. They have 18 counts to consider.

Most jurors have already decided what their verdict is when they enter deliberations. What takes time is getting them to agree with each other on what the actual verdict is going to end up being. The longer that takes only shows how committed the jury is towards coming to an agreement. The longer deliberations take, the less it has to do with what went on in the courtroom and the more it has to do with who can convince who of what in a group of 12.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back