Manhunt On for Road Rage Shooter

oldlady i dont think any terms are generally acceptable cause of a few,reasons:

1) the media never gets the gun type correct. more often than not they call every scary looking gun "assault" which USED to have a specific meaning. fully automatic being their favorite
2) odds of any person using fully automatic is very rare, very hard to even own fully automatic.
3) the term assault rifle changes as the left needs it to. sound familiar? you tell me when does a gun become "assault"? what characteristics are,needed? when those characteristics go beyond ar15 the left tends to get mad n say "you know what i mean" and how could i when they dont?

not diminishing gun voilence but so far mass murders in the last year have been done with knives, guns, vehicles, and so much more.

but the left tends to see GUN PROBLEM while,the right sees VIOLENCE PROBLEM.

why do we not cry out for banning all things used to kill?
Definitions of words change with common usage and understanding is my only point. When writing legislation, it is important to define your terms carefully. When a tv broadcaster uses the term "assault rifle" we know he is talking about a semi-automatic or automatic weapon, and we know that is a gun which has been designed to fire multiple, loads of, bullets in a minute. If they were aimed at you, I believe you would rightly term it an assault.
Yes?

The only automatic weapons legally out there are ones grandfathered in after the law change, which is not many at all, and non of those have been used in a crime that I can think of. There's the LA bank robbers back in the 90s with body armor and automatics, but I doubt those were obtained legally. As far as semi-auto, all the means is you pull the trigger, and the gun shoots a bullet without any other necessary action, such as a pump shotgun bringing in the next shell, or a bolt action doing the same. You pull the trigger it shoots once, you can hold the trigger down, it's only going to shoot once. That's almost essentially every single handgun out there. Which conceal carry permit holders using handguns have a lower negligent discharge rate than our police (on or off duty) do.

that's my point.

i'm not arguing whether or not people are too quick to use guns. yep. damn skippy. i'm arguing on what to do about it.

blanket statements and "gosh that looks scary ban it" are no way to fix the overall problem of the tension we have in the country today. push harder to take these away from *those* people the harder they will now push back simply because of the times we now live in.

i understand we have a huge issue on our hands. being scared and wishing guns away isn't going to work so we need to stop doing that and get specific and to do that you have to first understand the topic at hand. oldlady would be surprised at my own long winded answer for this - and it would not fly with many die hard gun people. but the point here is to find common ground to build off of, not misconceptions to keep the divide going.
Well argued. I agree that terminology is important when writing legislation, so it follows that the public should be acquainted with the specific terminology. Perhaps I was too quick to give sloppy writing a pass with journalists who mention the type of gun in passing. I do believe when the definition of "assault weapon" written into legislation includes semiautomatics with detachable magazines, that is a bonafide definition, though.
More importantly, it is a great way to spin off and run down a rabbit hole that is neither here nor there in relation to the argument at hand, though. It is too frequently used for such.
Overall, though, I agree with your objections.
the 22 and 9mm pistol both now fit that description. that's a bonafide fact as well. that makes all this how do we so granularity define this so frustrating. you think you got it but you just included all guns out there. then when you tell gun crowds who know better, they think you're coming after *all* their guns and we spin off into that.

see what i mean by not being specific?

oldlady i dont think any terms are generally acceptable cause of a few,reasons:

1) the media never gets the gun type correct. more often than not they call every scary looking gun "assault" which USED to have a specific meaning. fully automatic being their favorite
2) odds of any person using fully automatic is very rare, very hard to even own fully automatic.
3) the term assault rifle changes as the left needs it to. sound familiar? you tell me when does a gun become "assault"? what characteristics are,needed? when those characteristics go beyond ar15 the left tends to get mad n say "you know what i mean" and how could i when they dont?

not diminishing gun voilence but so far mass murders in the last year have been done with knives, guns, vehicles, and so much more.

but the left tends to see GUN PROBLEM while,the right sees VIOLENCE PROBLEM.

why do we not cry out for banning all things used to kill?
Definitions of words change with common usage and understanding is my only point. When writing legislation, it is important to define your terms carefully. When a tv broadcaster uses the term "assault rifle" we know he is talking about a semi-automatic or automatic weapon, and we know that is a gun which has been designed to fire multiple, loads of, bullets in a minute. If they were aimed at you, I believe you would rightly term it an assault.
Yes?

The only automatic weapons legally out there are ones grandfathered in after the law change, which is not many at all, and non of those have been used in a crime that I can think of. There's the LA bank robbers back in the 90s with body armor and automatics, but I doubt those were obtained legally. As far as semi-auto, all the means is you pull the trigger, and the gun shoots a bullet without any other necessary action, such as a pump shotgun bringing in the next shell, or a bolt action doing the same. You pull the trigger it shoots once, you can hold the trigger down, it's only going to shoot once. That's almost essentially every single handgun out there. Which conceal carry permit holders using handguns have a lower negligent discharge rate than our police (on or off duty) do.

that's my point.

i'm not arguing whether or not people are too quick to use guns. yep. damn skippy. i'm arguing on what to do about it.

blanket statements and "gosh that looks scary ban it" are no way to fix the overall problem of the tension we have in the country today. push harder to take these away from *those* people the harder they will now push back simply because of the times we now live in.

i understand we have a huge issue on our hands. being scared and wishing guns away isn't going to work so we need to stop doing that and get specific and to do that you have to first understand the topic at hand. oldlady would be surprised at my own long winded answer for this - and it would not fly with many die hard gun people. but the point here is to find common ground to build off of, not misconceptions to keep the divide going.
Well argued. I agree that terminology is important when writing legislation, so it follows that the public should be acquainted with the specific terminology. Perhaps I was too quick to give sloppy writing a pass with journalists who mention the type of gun in passing. I do believe when the definition of "assault weapon" written into legislation includes semiautomatics with detachable magazines, that is a bonafide definition, though.
More importantly, it is a great way to spin off and run down a rabbit hole that is neither here nor there in relation to the argument at hand, though. It is too frequently used for such.
the 22 and 9mm pistol both now fit that description. that's a bonafide fact as well. that makes all this how do we so granularity define this so frustrating. you think you got it but you just included all guns out there. then when you tell gun crowds who know better, they think you're coming after *all* their guns and we spin off into that.

You don't want to go there with me. I'm an Australia solution kinda girl.
3070D4FD00000578-0-image-a-12_1453410559005.jpg

Pogo believes we need to change the culture, the common definition of being "a man" in this society, to one that does not include violence and killing as our "go to" solution to problems. Now I agree that how we do that is fuzzy. Teach our kids that, yes. If we are teachers, ministers or otherwise have a lot of contact with kids, talk to our children about it. What do we do with the media and Hollywood in this country that glorifies violence? Video games? Violence in music? How do we slow any of this down, change this culture just by having this great idea? Pogo isn't wrong, but I need a lot more help seeing how that idea will look in action.
Changing the culture has always been the key to controlling the population in certain areas. The so called gun culture is a myth perpetrated to press an agenda.
Disagree. We indeed have a gun culture and if the violence committed with those guns could be controlled, I'd be all for it. There is too much shooting and killing each other in this country. Period.
Show the scientific proof of a gun culture, not a "popular postulation" but scientific proof. I haven't seen it and some of my background is sociology, I study humanity and cultures.
Also define it, provide parameters, cultural associations and empirical applications.
I'm going to leave that to Pogo. I think it's pretty generally accepted what the term "gun culture" refers to, and that we rely on, popularize and even "push" gun use in this country. We shoot others for fun on video games and watch movies where people are shot like swatting flies. Rap music sometimes glorifies it.
But like I said, you professors can battle that out.
I can show you what is truly happening and why but you need a basis of understanding.

Guerilla Psychology and Tactical Approaches to Social Engineering, Part I

so if he ran them off the road into a tree do we have a faded red truck problem or a tree problem?
It is another asshole crazy fuck with a gun problem.

Half of gun toters are people who get that puffed out chest when they carry a loaded weapon. These are the assholes that should not be permitted to own guns.

>> It was during the peak of the homebound commute, witnesses said, that they saw a dangerous “cat-and-mouse game” in which two motorists were jockeying for positions on a quarter-mile stretch of highway where two lanes become one.

When it was over, an 18-year-old college-bound Chester County girl was dead, her family and friends were devastated, and a nationwide manhunt had begun for the driver of a faded red pickup who shot and killed Bianca Roberson in what police said was a road rage murder.

“This homicide was completely senseless,” said West Goshen Police Chief Joseph Gleason. “A beautiful young lady of 18 years of age, in the prime of her life, getting ready to go off to college. And for reasons that are incomprehensible to me, the family is now planning her funeral instead of a going-away party for college.”

More than 20 investigators were sorting through hundreds of leads by email and phone from across the country, collecting video clips, and canvassing the streets for clues to what happened on the Route 100 bypass at about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. Police Capt. Gregory Stone called the incident a “heartless” act unlike any he’d witnessed in his 32-year career.

Police have retrieved and reviewed video footage from PennDot cameras just moments before the shooting, Noone said. Still images can be viewed on the Crime Stoppers webpage.

.... Authorities on Friday announced a $5,000 Crimestoppers reward and urged anyone with information to contact police at 610-696-7400 or [email protected].

“This is going to come down, ladies and gentlemen, to assistance by the public,” Gleason said. “The family deserves this. Society in general deserves this.” << --- Philly.com

He shot a stranger dead, for the purpose of getting ten feet further ahead on an exit ramp.

But what's important to remember is, "we don't have a gun problem".

theHawk
I never expected you to take a tragedy and make it political.
But he's a trump supporter!!! Oh it mattered that guy voted for Bernie don't you want to know if this guy voted for Trump? Is he part of the alt right? We all want to know. Because it mattered with Bernie. So it matters now

>> It was during the peak of the homebound commute, witnesses said, that they saw a dangerous “cat-and-mouse game” in which two motorists were jockeying for positions on a quarter-mile stretch of highway where two lanes become one.

When it was over, an 18-year-old college-bound Chester County girl was dead, her family and friends were devastated, and a nationwide manhunt had begun for the driver of a faded red pickup who shot and killed Bianca Roberson in what police said was a road rage murder.

“This homicide was completely senseless,” said West Goshen Police Chief Joseph Gleason. “A beautiful young lady of 18 years of age, in the prime of her life, getting ready to go off to college. And for reasons that are incomprehensible to me, the family is now planning her funeral instead of a going-away party for college.”

More than 20 investigators were sorting through hundreds of leads by email and phone from across the country, collecting video clips, and canvassing the streets for clues to what happened on the Route 100 bypass at about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. Police Capt. Gregory Stone called the incident a “heartless” act unlike any he’d witnessed in his 32-year career.

Police have retrieved and reviewed video footage from PennDot cameras just moments before the shooting, Noone said. Still images can be viewed on the Crime Stoppers webpage.

.... Authorities on Friday announced a $5,000 Crimestoppers reward and urged anyone with information to contact police at 610-696-7400 or [email protected].

“This is going to come down, ladies and gentlemen, to assistance by the public,” Gleason said. “The family deserves this. Society in general deserves this.” << --- Philly.com

He shot a stranger dead, for the purpose of getting ten feet further ahead on an exit ramp.

theHawk

The gun didn't shoot itself, bub.

The Road Rage driver is responsible for his behavior.
Michigan is voting to let everyone carry. No permit required. They say incidences like this will skyrocket. Are you willing to vote Yes to this bill? I am. I want to carry and don't want to jump through hoops.

Let's see if it makes it to Snyder's desk and see if he signs it. There is nothing stopping them. So let's see what an all Republican state decides.

theHawk
I never expected you to take a tragedy and make it political.
But he's a trump supporter!!! Oh it mattered that guy voted for Bernie don't you want to know if this guy voted for Trump? Is he part of the alt right? We all want to know. Because it mattered with Bernie. So it matters now
Unlike you I could care less what his political affiliation could be and in reality political affiliation only matters to partisan hacks when dealing with crazies or rage incidents. Besides, Pog wasn't making it political, he simply made the mistake (that pretty much all of us have made) of not being completely clear and I mistook his intent. He and I have already discussed it.

so if he ran them off the road into a tree do we have a faded red truck problem or a tree problem?

Half of gun toters are people who get that puffed out chest when they carry a loaded weapon. These are the assholes that should not be permitted to own guns.
you just got more stupid at birth than you should have.

i know a lot of people who carry guns. none of them you'd know it if you were with them in public. so your 50% theory is just your own bias showing the world how much of a fucking dumbass you can actually be.

of that you are in fact quite impressive.

Yes?

that's my point.

There was no Australian solution.......I keep telling you that gun crime is going up in Australia, not down.....and it is going up in Britain...ignoring that truth is not honest.......

Gun city: Young, dumb and armed

The notion that a military-grade weapon could be in the hands of local criminals is shocking, but police have already seized at least five machine guns and assault rifles in the past 18 months. The AK-47 was not among them.

Only a fortnight ago, law enforcement authorities announced they were hunting another seven assault rifles recently smuggled into the country. Weapons from the shipment have been used in armed robberies and drive-by shootings.

These are just a handful of the thousands of illicit guns fuelling a wave of violent crime in the world’s most liveable city.

----

Despite Australia’s strict gun control regime, criminals are now better armed than at any time since then-Prime Minister John Howard introduced a nationwide firearm buyback scheme in response to the 1996 Port Arthur massacre.

Shootings have become almost a weekly occurrence, with more than 125 people, mostly young men, wounded in the past five year

-----------

While the body count was higher during Melbourne’s ‘Underbelly War’ (1999-2005), more people have been seriously maimed in the recent spate of shootings and reprisals.

Crimes associated with firearm possession have also more than doubled, driven by the easy availability of handguns, semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and, increasingly, machine guns, that are smuggled into the country or stolen from licensed owners.

-------------

These weapons have been used in dozens of recent drive-by shootings of homes and businesses, as well as targeted and random attacks in parks, shopping centres and roads.

“They’re young, dumb and armed,” said one former underworld associate, who survived a shooting attempt in the western suburbs several years ago.

“It used to be that if you were involved in something bad you might have to worry about [being shot]. Now people get shot over nothing - unprovoked.”

------------

Gun crime soars
In this series, Fairfax Media looks at Melbourne’s gun problem and the new breed of criminals behind the escalating violence.

The investigation has found:

• There have been at least 99 shootings in the past 20 months - more than one incident a week since January 2015
  • Known criminals were caught with firearms 755 times last year, compared to 143 times in 2011
  • The epicentre of the problem is a triangle between Coolaroo, Campbellfield and Glenroy in the north-west, with Cranbourne, Narre Warren and Dandenong in the south-east close behind
  • Criminals are using gunshot wounds to the arms and legs as warnings to pay debts
  • Assault rifles and handguns are being smuggled into Australia via shipments of electronics and metal parts
In response to the violence, it can be revealed the state government is planning to introduce new criminal offences for drive-by shootings, manufacturing of firearms with new technologies such as 3D printers, and more police powers to keep weapons out of the hands of known criminals.
============
The second part of the series....
Gun city: Gunslingers of the North West

========================

'Thousands' of illegal guns tipped to be handed over in firearms amnesty

Asked roughly how many he expected to be handed in, Mr Keenan said: "Look I certainly think the number will be in the thousands."

The Australian Crime Commission estimated in 2012 there were at least 250,000 illegal guns in Australia. But a Senate report noted last year it was impossible to estimate how many illicit weapons are out there.

But....military weapons?

And despite Australia's strict border controls, the smuggling of high-powered military-style firearms is also a growing problem.

theHawk

Michigan is voting to let everyone carry. No permit required. They say incidences like this will skyrocket. Are you willing to vote Yes to this bill? I am. I want to carry and don't want to jump through hoops.

Let's see if it makes it to Snyder's desk and see if he signs it. There is nothing stopping them. So let's see what an all Republican state decides.

I'm all for letting everyone (except felons and crazy people) carry.

And you pulled that out of your ass....considering that as more People have bought guns, nothing you say would happened, happened...in fact the exact opposite has happened...

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 15.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%
--gun crime down 75%
--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

theHawk

Oh....you support it? Good. They always say that letting law abiding people carry guns will increase gun crime...and every single time they are wrong.....over the last 21 years, they are wrong...

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 15.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...
-- gun murder down 49%
--gun crime down 75%
--violent crime down 72%

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

Yes?

that's my point.

And in every single case where gun control is implemented, the murder rate goes up. Every single case, you'd think there'd be some sort of exception to that rule, but there never is. Gun control does not work, and I know it's been said a million times but it does not make it any less true, but criminals do not follow the law, including gun control laws. Yet we look at Switzerland, there you're practically issued a full auto assault rifle, can freely carry it where you please, no one makes a fuss or is scared by it...and it's one of the safest places on earth. Why is that?

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. And citizens use guns for self defense almost 7,000 times a day. And remember, you don't always have to fire a gun to use it in self defense. Gun control laws only effect those citizens, not the criminals. When more good people are armed, even if it's just 3-5% of the population, there is a dramatic drop in crime. Look at floridas numbers before and after conceal carry laws, vermonts const. carry laws, pick a state, look at when the laws were implemented, and look at crime rates stats.

Do guns stop all tragedys, no. But neither do gun control laws. China has had like 5 sandy hook like school killings since sandy hook, all with knives. Look at France, strict gun control, still 130 dead, with out any means of self defense against their assaliants. London crime and murder rate doubled within 10 years after it implemented gun control. But the US has been getting safer and safer, 80% of instances where guns are used are in self defense in the US, vs 20% for crime. And Switzerland still the safest place on earth.

Changing the culture has always been the key to controlling the population in certain areas. The so called gun culture is a myth perpetrated to press an agenda.
Disagree. We indeed have a gun culture and if the violence committed with those guns could be controlled, I'd be all for it. There is too much shooting and killing each other in this country. Period.
Show the scientific proof of a gun culture, not a "popular postulation" but scientific proof. I haven't seen it and some of my background is sociology, I study humanity and cultures.
Also define it, provide parameters, cultural associations and empirical applications.
I'm going to leave that to Pogo. I think it's pretty generally accepted what the term "gun culture" refers to, and that we rely on, popularize and even "push" gun use in this country. We shoot others for fun on video games and watch movies where people are shot like swatting flies. Rap music sometimes glorifies it.
I can show you what is truly happening and why but you need a basis of understanding.

Okay. Homework completed. Now what?

And you pulled that out of your ass....considering that as more People have bought guns, nothing you say would happened, happened...in fact the exact opposite has happened...

-- gun murder down 49%
--gun crime down 75%
--violent crime down 72%

Blah Blah Blah You & I both know the type. Strapping on that gun makes them a tough guy. Don't deny they exist & in large numbers. I ay half based on the people I know that can't go anywhere without their loaded gun & those that don't.

-- gun murder down 49%
--gun crime down 75%
--violent crime down 72%

Blah Blah Blah You & I both know the type. Strapping on that gun makes them a tough guy. Don't deny they exist & in large numbers. I ay half based on the people I know that can't go anywhere without their loaded gun & those that don't.

Wow......blah,blah,blah......is that all you have? I listed facts, supported by an actual link.....and you post...blah, blah, blah........it sucks t be you...right? You have nothing to counter the truth, facts and reality....so you post nothing....

That is what is happening with the so called "gun culture" claims.

That is what is happening with the so called "gun culture" claims.
Ringel, I swear if your avi weren't my favorite pirate and you didn't know about cool stuff like 18th century bone buttons, that would piss me off.
No one is trying to fool you. I already said I was going to leave the "gun culture" thing to the professors, and I am.
If you had an actual point, I guess you'd need to explain it a bit better.

-- gun murder down 49%
--gun crime down 75%
--violent crime down 72%

don't deny they exist and don't deny they exist in large numbers are (2) different things.

yes, there *are* those fools out there. but you're trying to "normalize the extreme" and pretend the few people who do this represent all who carry guns. you are 100% dead wrong. end of story.

going somewhere w/o a loaded gun isn't the same as the fool you describe looking for a fight after getting a gun. again, you're trying to take the remote example and pretend it's a lot more common than it really is.

Forum List

Back