Manufactured Homes have come a long way

Manufactured homes have come a LOOONG way from what I remember as a kid!!!
They NEVER looked like THIS!!!!!

My Mom lives in a retirement community (which, sad to say, I also qualify to live in due to my age) which is all manufactured homes.
The ones which were built in the early phases of the community look, well, cheap. The section where Mom lives, though, looks as though they came out of the "custom home" division of the manufacturer. It's actually a triple wide.

They're actually pretty nice for the money...

Ever since 1976 manufactured homes are all built to HUD standards because, prior to that, they were death traps. They first had metal exterior walls and fake wood paneling on the interior. Today a manufactured home typically has T1-11 wood siding, peaked roof, drywall interior walls, etc. They have indeed come a long way. Most Manuf homes are placed on a permanent foundation either a concrete perimeter or an engineered foundation with tie-downs and 'blessed' by the local zoning authority as Real Property. They typically sell for less $ per sq.ft. in most markets as compared to a site-built dwelling. A manufactured home has 'HUD tags' for each section which are stamped emblems and riveted on to the exterior. Typically the dwelling will have a 'HUD data plate' (a paper label) somewhere in the interior (closet, under sink, or other places) that has the Manuf home's make, model, model #, serial number, snow load for roof according to area, and the HUD tag numbers.

Last edited:
1663118086594.png

Forum List

Back