Marriage Matters: Consequences of Redefining Marriage

Your link =

How the fuck is this supposed to be a Lobby for Marraige?

They are promoting Civil Marriage equality in all 50 states. Nine down (plus DC), they've got 41 states to go.

>>>>

The original post, which I will not be happy to recite, did not mention "Civil Marriage" but ONLY referred to a "Marriage Lobby" that would GAIN in power with legalized Queer Marriage.

In fact, there is no such lobby, and instead of simply admitting the obvious error, the red herring has been thrown which you've managed to swallow, hook, line, and sinker.

Try to legislate away spousal benefits for something like social security and see whether or not there's a marriage lobby.

My daughter has learned to do everything he does (except pee standing up) PLUS she cooks, plays with dolls, plays with makeup, shoots a re curve bow and hates Justin Beber.

Kudos. You're obviously doing something right.

I'm still waiting patiently to hear from opponants of gay marriage as to how allowing gays to marry will adversely affect them.

Anyone?

it redefines my (and all of society's) traditional definition of marriage....

it violates natural law and thus violates my own (and all of society's) sense of normalcy...

it validates the homosexual lifestyle....what is a sin to half of America will be taught in the public schools as being A-ok....and acceptance will be legally forced upon religious people....

need more...?

How does it change your marriage? "traditional" man/woman marriage will not change, therefore neither will your marriage.

As for "society's sense of normalcy" (whatever the hell that means) that is ever evolving. Furthermore, no society exists where every member agrees about everything. Allowing gay marriage will still allow you to be a bigot and a homophobe.

Finally, if you believe homosexuality is a sin, don't engage in it. But in a free society, you have no right to tell gay people they cannot.

what gives you the right to redefine marriage....?

who says society is 'evolving' toward the better.....?

what gives schools the right to teach immorality to half the kids...?

I'm still waiting patiently to hear from opponants of gay marriage as to how allowing gays to marry will adversely affect them.

Anyone?

it violates natural law and thus violates my own (and all of society's) sense of normalcy...

it validates the homosexual lifestyle....what is a sin to half of America will be taught in the public schools as being A-ok....and acceptance will be legally forced upon religious people....

need more...?

While I would like to agree with you, I find the occasional appearance of Queers In Public entertaining: At least as entertaining as dwrafs, albinos, an alligator wrestler, or a giraffe.

Thus I look forward to the so-called, "Violation of my sense of normalcy."

ON THE OTHER HAND;

I share your concern about tossing away Judeo-Christian morality norms that have guided western culture for thousands of years, and was very probably well established long before Israelite Wise Men decided to incorporate them. While some of these ancient beliefs, e.g. stoning unmarried women who become pregnate, are repugnant, and are only practiced within cultures we now consider "backward," MANY MORE, e.g. "Thou shall not kill" remain. There was some reason for the ancients to put together RULES of BEHAVIOUR.

Whether or not they can now be completely understood is immaterial to a significant proportion of Americans who deserve to have their VOTE count rather than have their beliefs ignored.

need more...?

How does it change your marriage? "traditional" man/woman marriage will not change, therefore neither will your marriage.

As for "society's sense of normalcy" (whatever the hell that means) that is ever evolving. Furthermore, no society exists where every member agrees about everything. Allowing gay marriage will still allow you to be a bigot and a homophobe.

Finally, if you believe homosexuality is a sin, don't engage in it. But in a free society, you have no right to tell gay people they cannot.

The same right that redefined (legal) marriage when interracial marriage was excluded from the definition of legal marriage in this country.

The same right that redefined voting in this country, several times, when more and more people were allowed to vote.

De facto same sex marriage has always existed. It is its own tradition, for those of you who need to rely on 'tradition' for your argument.

That governments have declined to recognize it is irrelevant.

need more...?

Societies are constantly evolving.

Look at polls concerning gay marriage honestly and you will see that.

And while nobody gives me personally the right to define anything, society has that right and is using it.

And as for morality, nobody gives you the right to define morality for the whole, you can only define it for yourself.

Anyone?

need more...?

While I would like to agree with you, I find the occasional appearance of Queers In Public entertaining: At least as entertaining as dwrafs, albinos, an alligator wrestler, or a giraffe.

ON THE OTHER HAND;

I share your concern about tossing away Judeo-Christian morality norms that have guided western culture for thousands of years, and was very probably well established long before Israelite Wise Men decided to incorporate them. While some of these ancient beliefs, e.g. stoning unmarried women who become pregnate, are repugnant, and are only practiced within cultures we now consider "backward," MANY MORE, e.g. "Thou shall not kill" remain. There was some reason for the ancients to put together RULES of BEHAVIOUR.

Whether or not they can now be completely understood is immaterial to a significant proportion of Americans who deserve to have their VOTE count rather than have their beliefs ignored.

traditional marriage follows natural law....it is UNIQUE.....and ubiquitous.....the core family is the building block of society....from that flows a civilized society...

to change all that to satisfy a measly 1/2% of society is simply ridiculous....

They are promoting Civil Marriage equality in all 50 states. Nine down (plus DC), they've got 41 states to go.

>>>>

The original post, which I will not be happy to recite, did not mention "Civil Marriage" but ONLY referred to a "Marriage Lobby" that would GAIN in power with legalized Queer Marriage.

In fact, there is no such lobby, and instead of simply admitting the obvious error, the red herring has been thrown which you've managed to swallow, hook, line, and sinker.

Try to legislate away spousal benefits for something like social security and see whether or not there's a marriage lobby.

You seem to be confused.

All Legislation needs no "lobby." This is particularly true for POPULAR legislation.

The fact that much of what you'd like to see in legislation is so unpopular that a lobby is a assumed necessity, and even then ineffectual to the degree that courts must be manipulated to achieve your socially "progressive" agenda, has clouded your judgement.

need more...?

ON THE OTHER HAND;

traditional marriage follows natural law....it is UNIQUE.....and ubiquitous.....the core family is the building block of society....from that flows a civilized society...

"Traditional" marriage included polygomy.

Are you good with that?

Stuff changes and stuff is changing.

In 20 years, kids are going to be wondering what the big deal was, just like many are now about those who opposed civil rights back in the '60's.

You don't have to like it, but times constantly change and on this issue, you're more and more in the minority every day.

And while nobody gives me personally the right to define anything, society has that right and is using it.

And as for morality, nobody gives you the right to define morality for the whole, you can only define it for yourself.

societies evolve but that doesn't mean we have to evolve this way...

polls are driven by politically driven interests...and the young people of this country are being manipulated and fed propaganda through all kinds of anti-religious leftist media....

society has already voted against gay marriage.....now it is going to be defined by a handful of people?....that is NOT society....

morality can be defined through our laws and is done all the time...i'm not falling for your anti-God relativistic anti-religious secular bullcrap...

ON THE OTHER HAND;

"Traditional" marriage included polygomy.

Are you good with that?

Stuff changes and stuff is changing.

In 20 years, kids are going to be wondering what the big deal was, just like many are now about those who opposed civil rights back in the '60's.

You don't have to like it, but times constantly change and on this issue, you're more and more in the minority every day.

at least polygamy involved men and women having children....

propaganda may change attitudes but it does not change natural law...

need more...?

ON THE OTHER HAND;

Great. I agree.

However, what we change about our state laws, which are based on our collective opinion of "natural law" are founded upon how we VOTE, or how our representatives vote: States should retain this right.

If a state decides queers should marry, then why not? Ditto for when they should NOT marry. If the lesbos in California want to be married, the move the fuck out to Iowa, or whatever.

Last edited:

societies evolve but that doesn't mean we have to evolve this way...

polls are driven by politically driven interests...and the young people of this country are being manipulated and fed propaganda through all kinds of anti-religious leftist media....

society has already voted against gay marriage.....now it is going to be defined by a handful of people?....that is NOT society....

morality can be defined through our laws and is done all the time...i'm not falling for your anti-God relativistic anti-religious secular bullcrap...

Look at the polls concerning gay marriage and you'll see that votes held 5-10 years ago are largely meaningless today.

A majority of Americans favor same-sex marrige today. An inconvenient truth for you to be sure, but a truth none the less.

As you the rest, please show me where I'm anti-god or anti-religion.

When gay marriage is legal in all America, you'll still be able to pray to your god and follow the religion of your choice, which I fully support. What I don't support is you telling me I can't do something (or must do something else) simply because you think that's what your god wants.

need more...?

ON THE OTHER HAND;

Legalizing same sex marriage doesn't change opposite sex marriage at all.

Your argument is founded on the premise that there is something inherently, and sufficiently, wrong with homosexuality that justifies discriminating against homosexuals.

It's been established in our laws that such a premise is wrong, legally.

Forum List

Back