McConnels secret plan to cut off health insurance for millions

crussmith2

Rookie
Mar 6, 2013
top GOP Senate aides held regular strategy meetings to plot a path forward. Using the reconciliation process would be complicated and contentious. Senate rules would require Republicans to demonstrate to the parliamentarian that their repeal provisions would affect spending or revenue and Democrats were sure to challenge them every step of the way. So the meetings were small and secret.

"You're going in to make an argument. You don't want to preview your entire argument to the other side ahead of time," said a McConnell aide who participated in the planning. "There was concern that all of this would leak out."

By Election Day, Senate Republicans were ready to, as McConnell put it, "take this monstrosity down."

"We were prepared to do that had we had the votes to do it after the election. Well, the election didn't turn out the way we wanted it to,"
The Secret Republican Plan to Repeal Obamacare - Chris Frates - The Atlantic
The article goes on to explain that a carefully orchestrated Pr program to undermine Obamacare continues. If Republicans ever gain control of the senate they will likely try to end Obamacare with a simple majority vote in the senate. that should be a great reason to vote against Republican senators for several more years!

Kinda reminds me of the democrats holding secret meetings behind closed doors with no repubs to get the monstrosity passed in the 1st place.

Wait a second.

You mean the GOP's desire to repeal ObamaCare was a SECRET?

Gee, maybe Romney should not have mentioned that was the plan in every single speech he made! Maybe all the primary candidates should not have mentioned it in every single debate!

Some secret.

I love the poisoning of the well in the topic title. The plan to "cut off health insurance for millions". As if our only two choices are a)ObamaCare or b) no insurance for the imaginary "uninsured 50 million Americans".

A false dichotomy, false premise, and a strawman all wrapped up in one!

I love the poisoning of the well in the topic title. The plan to "cut off health insurance for millions". As if our only two choices are a)ObamaCare or b) no insurance for the imaginary "uninsured 50 million Americans".

That was pretty much the way Obama and the democrats sold the ACA, as though there was no other option except the system the way it was.

That was pretty much the way Obama and the democrats sold the ACA, as though there was no other option except the system the way it was.

The illogic train of thought:

1. We must do something.

2. This is something.

3. We must do this.

Well, the gop's alternative is a return to the status quo. Besides tort reform, they have no plan. I did thing Wyden Bennett offered possibilities, but apparantly it is now verbotten for a republican to support a mandate and increasing taxes on health providers, employers and the more wealthy. It is also apparantly verbotten to seek a system where providers are forced to take medicare rates for all patients, even though that is the most cost effective part of US healthcare.

Not that I like Obamacare. But it's a one horse race, imo.

• Banned
"As if our only two choices are a)ObamaCare or b) no insurance"
There has been no alternative promoted and since you claim the 50 million uninsured are somehow imaginary you seem to inhabit a strange and distant planet and so have little to offer the uninsured. The USA of this planet DOES HAVE had millions of uninsured and since you fail to grasp reality we will not hold our breath for any plan to deal with your alternate universe.

There has been no alternative promoted and since you claim the 50 million uninsured are somehow imaginary you seem to inhabit a strange and distant planet and so have little to offer the uninsured. The USA of this planet DOES HAVE had millions of uninsured and since you fail to grasp reality we will not hold our breath for any plan to deal with your alternate universe.

Why does there need to be an alternative plan? Are you not the one responsible for seeing to it that you have health insurance? Are you too incompetent to take care of yourself that you need some sleazy, self-serving politician to do it for you?

Well, the gop could just offer tax credits sufficient to allow working poor not traditionally on medicaid to get preventative care, and accept them into medicaid if they get a serious illness ....

but of course they'd have to tax someone to do that, and of course anyone who supported that would be lynched by a bunch of old white people dressed like Paul Revere and the Raiders.

Since you claim to be completely devoid of an ounce of humanity or moral responsibility toward those with the least I would simply refer you to those similarly lacking in a soul - such as Hayek or Friedman - who both realize that those of us who do care about our neighbor vastly outnumber you sociopaths and so we must be accommodated. Herd though we be - the herd has a clout too!

Cruss, I actually think everyone should have access to preventive care, and if they get really sick, then they should get care.

I just don't think expanding medicaid to cover the working poor is a positive move.

A friend of mine is a solid right wing, had two bumper stickers on his car. One was, "raise my taxes and lose my vote." The other said "Appeal Obamacare." They are both pealed off now. Reality sometimes sucks...

Republicans think it's a "great" plan. Just think, people can go to emergency rooms for 10 to 100 times the cost which is passed on to tax payers. What could go wrong?

The Obamacare regulations printed on both sides on standard paper stands over 10 feet tall. What do they say? Nobody knows including the crooks who allegedly drafted it and the nut case who signed it into law. Mayor Bloomberg is the tip of the iceberg. When government supplies free health care the government has the right to dictate a healthy life style. Big brother and the IRS will be watching you.

OK..PLEASE GO to these supporting links.. READ carefully then tell me YOU still believe the lie Obama and others like you are perpetuating and which caused the biggest destruction of health care and 1/6th of the economy..

Obama said:"We are not a nation that accepts nearly 46 million uninsured men, women and children,"

GIVEN: Census bureau says 10 million of the 46 million "uninsured' are not citizens… leaving 36 million…
Source: Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2009 - Income & Wealth - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

Crussmith..Obama was counting ONLY Citizens.. which means 10 million which are not should not be part of the 46 million.. means 36 million!

GIVEN: 14 million are eligible for Medicaid..but they are counted as "uninsured"…. leaving 22 million…
Source: http://coverageforall.org/pdf/BC-BS_Uninsured-America.pdf

Crussmith..Obama was counting ONLY Citizens and people that weren't covered... BUT 14 million WERE eligible! All they had to do was file papers SIMILAR to the 60 pages Obamacare now requires! THEY are covered just not enrolled! So subtract 14 million from 46 million..LEAVES 22 MILLION!

GIVEN:18 million counted as 'Uninsured" make over $50,000, are under 34 and pay an average of $1,000 a year out of pocket instead of taking employers insurance.
Source: CRISIS OF THE UNINSURED: 2009

Crussmith..Obama WAS being DISINGENUOUS at the least DISHONEST at the most.. Counting PEOPLE THAT don't WANT insurance!
18 million turned down employers insurance because they A) didn't need it.. B) paid out of their pocket!

That leaves 4 million truly uninsured that need coverage. 98.7% ARE covered.. of those that want coverage.

So do you STILL believe there are 46 million "UNINSURED? Even though simple math shows there are less then 4 million!

NOW why are you against these 4 million having coverage in the following solution???

Is it right that these 4 million that truly need coverage because many of you defend ambulance chasing millionaire lawyers?

You have no problem with tanning salons being taxed 10% because they cause cancer!

YET you defenders of millionaire lawyers don't want to tax 10% of the $200 billion a year they make which could provide a $4,000 a year premium for the truly
4 million uninsured that want insurance?

YOU people would refuse 4 million people coverage in order to defend millionaire lawyers??

What is this world coming to that you have NO compassion for those that don't have insurance!

Since you claim to be completely devoid of an ounce of humanity or moral responsibility toward those with the least I would simply refer you to those similarly lacking in a soul - such as Hayek or Friedman - who both realize that those of us who do care about our neighbor vastly outnumber you sociopaths and so we must be accommodated. Herd though we be - the herd has a clout too!

The only neighbor you care about is the rich one whose money you would like to steal.

CRUSSMAN... I'm waiting for you to tell me you followed the links and source, and you read and you understand simple math.
10 million are not citizens so says Census.
14 million all they need to do is enroll and they have Medicaid!
18 million don't want don't need could afford but pay their own way !
42 million that don't qualify, already covered and don't want leaves 4 Million NOT 46 million not 50 million.. big lie to pass Obamacare!

Forum List

Back