McKinsey: Automation May Wipe Out 1/3 of America’s Workforce by 2030

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
The days of growing up to work in your daddy's factory are long gone. We need to retool our education system for the jobs of tomorrow, not the jobs of yesterday.

McKinsey: automation may wipe out 1/3 of America’s workforce by 2030

In a new study that is optimistic about automation yet stark in its appraisal of the challenge ahead, McKinsey says massive government intervention will be required to hold societies together against the ravages of labor disruption over the next 13 years. Up to 800 million people—including a third of the work force in the U.S. and Germany—will be made jobless by 2030, the study says.

The bottom line: The economy of most countries will eventually replace the lost jobs, the study says, but many of the unemployed will need considerable help to shift to new work, and salaries could continue to flatline. "It's a Marshall Plan size of task," Michael Chui, lead author of the McKinsey report, tells Axios.

Translation: Stop drinking the piss of politicians who tell you they will bring back the jobs that went overseas. The jobs didn't go overseas. They have been automated and are never coming back.

Read this, too: https://economics.mit.edu/files/12763

Between 1993 and 2007, every new robot replaced between 3 and 5.6 workers.

Read this: http://conexus.cberdata.org/files/MfgReality.pdf

"Almost 88 percent of job losses in manufacturing in recent years can be attributable to productivity growth, and the long-term changes to manufacturing employment are mostly linked to the productivity of American factories.”

Gone, baby, gone. Those jobs are not coming back. Ever. Anyone who promises you they are is a fucking criminal liar.

When a shitbag politician tells you he is going to bring back those lost jobs with tariffs and trade deals, he is talking out of his ass. He is being fucking lazy and hoping you are too ignorant to catch on.

We need to start burning those politicians at the stake, and start forcing their replacements to retool our entire education system.

Back to Axios:

• The transition compares to the U.S. shift from a largely agricultural to an industrial-services economy in the early 1900s forward. But this time, it's not young people leaving farms, but mid-career workers who need new skills. "There are few precedents in which societies have successfully retrained such large numbers of people," the report says, and that is the key question: how do you retrain people in their 30s, 40s and 50s for entirely new professions?

Wake up, America. You're children are being robbed of a future by elected hucksters.

I guess I didn't put enough sex in this topic...:lol:

"TL/DNR LOL"

I agree that technology is going to eliminate many repetitive labor time jobs. I don't believe it is the fault of politicians. They will need to start figuring out what the heck you do with 15 to 20% unemployment.

I guess I didn't put enough sex in this topic...:lol:

"TL/DNR LOL"

You are an idiot if you believe that the elites that control the financial system and most of all the corporations disguised as "government" in all the countries with a central bank give a shit about the serfs or providing them a way to eek out an existence. The intentional dumbing down of America via the school system was part of the globalist plan to begin with.

Have you ever bothered to read any of the works of Zbigniew Brzezinski?. There is a soft-kill genocide taking place but you can bet that it will be speeding up. The manipulation of the human genome by chemicals in the food, water and air puts the entire world's population in a most vicarious position.

I agree that technology is going to eliminate many repetitive labor time jobs. I don't believe it is the fault of politicians. They will need to start figuring out what the heck you do with 15 to 20% unemployment.
i will be 134 years old by then, so it wont affect me

It is not the fault of politicians that jobs are being automated out of existence. That is not what I was saying.

It IS the fault of politicians when they lie and say the jobs went overseas and they are going to bring those jobs back. That is deliberately giving false hope.

But even worse, by misrepresenting the true nature of the problem, the politicians are obstructing the actual solution to the problem. This will result in the problem getting steadily worse over time because of their lies and obfuscations.

It is out and out fraud.

Wake up, America. You're children are being robbed of a future by elected hucksters.

No. They're being robbed of their future by corporate penny pinchers more interested in their bottom line thsn in loyalty to the nation they do business in.

No. They're being robbed of their future by corporate penny pinchers more interested in their bottom line thsn in loyalty to the nation they do business in.
Wrong.

90 percent of our population was employed in agriculture when our Constitution was ratified.

Do you think that is still the way it should be?

Only two percent of our population is now employed in agriculture, and we grow more food than ever.

Instead of farming, the descendants grew up to be technicians and industrial workers.

Now their descendants are going to have to shift to new technologies and fields of labor.

Time to think about 30 hour work weeks.

The amount of value created by a single American worker is much greater than a worker of the past, but their wages are not reflecting that.

The amount of value created by a single worker is much greater than a worker of the past, but our wages are not reflecting that.

I would be first in line for that puppy! Give me 3 10 hour days and I am golden!

The amount of value created by a single American worker is much greater than a worker of the past, but their wages are not reflecting that.

And it is not even close...
upload_2017-12-1_17-34-28.png

The amount of value created by a single worker is much greater than a worker of the past, but our wages are not reflecting that.

I would be first in line for that puppy! Give me 3 10 hour days and I am golden!

There is a flip side we also have to implement.

We are living longer, we should be working longer. Common sense.

Social Security and Medicare eligibility age needs to be changed to 70, indexed to 9 percent of the population.

Wrong.

90 percent of our population was employed in agriculture when our Constitution was ratified.

Do you think that is still the way it should be?.

I believe ANY employer thst is reducing work force has a duty to ensure their automation does not put people on the streets. A chsnge if job, fine. Unemployment, NO.

I work for an electric utility company. About a decade ago the company implemented AMR (Automated Meter Reading). The only way our Union would allow it was with a written guarantee of no lost meter reading jobs. The company converted part of the meter reading jobs to meter techs (higher pay with more responsibility) and the remaining meter readers now drive vans thst read the meters electronically rather thsn by hand.

Social Security and Medicare eligibility age needs to be changed to 70, indexed to 9 percent of the population.

It is already 67 for me

Wrong.

Do you think that is still the way it should be?.

I believe ANY employer thst is reducing work force has a duty to ensure their automation does not put people on the streets. A chsnge if job, fine. Unemployment, NO.

I work for an electric utility company. About a decade ago the company implemented AMR (Automated Meter Reading). The only way our Union would allow it was with a written guarantee of no lost meter reading jobs. The company converted part of the meter reading jobs to meter techs (higher pay with more responsibility) and the remaining meter readers now drive vans thst read the meters electronically rather thsn by hand.
So when a farmer bought a combine, he should have had a duty to ensure his human labor wasn't put on the street? Really?

About a decade ago the company implemented AMR (Automated Meter Reading). The only way our Union would allow it was with a written guarantee of no lost meter reading jobs.
This is exactly why I hate unions. They are an impediment to progress.

The meter readers need to move on and get new jobs.

This is where our education system needs to step in.

It is not the fault of politicians that jobs are being automated out of existence. That is not what I was saying.

It IS the fault of politicians when they lie and say the jobs went overseas and they are going to bring those jobs back. That is deliberately giving false hope.

But even worse, by misrepresenting the true nature of the problem, the politicians are obstructing the actual solution to the problem. This will result in the problem getting steadily worse over time because of their lies and obfuscations.

It is out and out fraud.
IMO you are combining two different issues. Currently, companies ship jobs overseas because of dirt cheap labor. Near term it is feasible to bring back manufacturing jobs to some degree, but certainly not like things were 20 or 30 years ago. But that won't last and I think we all agree that Washington needs to start planning now for the unemployment disaster that is coming.

It is already 67 for me
Me, too. But I still plan on working until I'm 70. Maybe even 80.

I won't be able to sit still for retirement. Have to keep busy.

It is out and out fraud.
IMO you are combining two different issues. Currently, companies ship jobs overseas because of dirt cheap labor. Near term it is feasible to bring back manufacturing jobs to some degree, but certainly not like things were 20 or 30 years ago. But that won't last and I think we all agree that Washington needs to start planning now for the unemployment disaster that is coming.
You never hear a politician talking about the larger problem. Overseas jobs are a small fraction of the problem. The MUCH bigger problem is increased productivity/automation.

No politician talks about it because it is easier to tell the rubes he will bring those jobs back. Our politicians count on the rubes being too ignorant to know they are being shined.

It is already 67 for me
Me, too. But I still plan on working until I'm 70. Maybe even 80.

I won't be able to sit still for retirement. Have to keep busy.

Oh, I would retire tomorrow if I could. There are lots of golf courses calling my name!

Forum List

Back