Minimum wage

Trump has indicated that he's flexible on the Minimum Wage issue. I support that. I'd like to see a better Minimum Wage for Americans. Our current Minimum Wage is deeply embarrassing compared to the rest of the world. The richest nation on earth can certainly do better.

Trump has indicated that he's flexible on the Minimum Wage issue. I support that. I'd like to see a better Minimum Wage for Americans. Our current Minimum Wage is deeply embarrassing compared to the rest of the world. The richest nation on earth can certainly do better.

Yeah he is flexible, the states can raise their MW has high as it wants, it's a state issue, not national

Firstly, the US isn't doing enough to get people the skills that they need. Secondly the rich want people to be poor so they can work these minimum wage jobs and make others rich. Again, we're a society, shouldn't we at least make sure that people can afford a fucking roof over their head if they are actually being productive and actually making other people rich?

What kind of a selfish world do we live in where we say to people that 40 or even 50 hours isn't even enough to get a roof over their head, no matter what kind of work they're doing. The right moans and bitches that people don't work, then when they do work they couldn't give a fuck about whether it's actually worth their while to do so.
Firstly, the US isn't doing enough to get people the skills that they need.

Its up to the US to get people trained?

I always thought that was MY job.

What kind of a selfish world do we live in where we say to people that 40 or even 50 hours isn't even enough to get a roof over their head, no matter what kind of work they're doing

The real world.

You should visit sometime

The problem is a country needs certain skills. Look at Germany, they set out to be a high tech manufacturer, seeing, rightly, that if you stick to the cheap stuff, that countries like China, Taiwan, Vietnam will be able to come along with low skilled and much cheaper workers and take over your jobs. The US is trying to get back jobs that it shouldn't have, and because it hasn't gone out there to get higher tech jobs, many of these are being done abroad too or require foreign workers to do them. This is a problem.

Some countries are deciding how they want their society to be, and they decided they want their society to be strong. You lot have decided you want low paid manufacturing jobs. I don't get it.
it's up to you to find out what skills will bring the best price in the marketplace and then get the training you need to perform those skills

A society is strong when people have the freedom to be and do what they want
Do you want to live in a country where you are told that you have to be a plumber because the country needs plumbers or would you rather make your own choices

The individual always trumps society

Right, so a kid at the age of 12 decides what skills he needs, but the school he goes to doesn't provide those skills, then what?

A society is strong when people get to choose, but too much choice doesn't make society stronger, you still need people to do certain things. Is society strong when people get conscripted? Sure, but they don't have the choice, do they?

I'm not talking about telling people to be a plumber. Hey, I want to be a multi billionaire, but the job vacancy for that one is taken by someone else. So where's my choice? Oh, the choice is there, I can choose to pursue something, that doesn't mean there's going to be room for me. Plenty of kids apply for schools they can't get into because others are better, so they have to do something they don't want to do. That's life.

What I'm talking about is saying "hey, we need 50,000 kids to study to be a plumber this year, and 2,000 to be engineers, you can apply to be an engineer, but if you don't make it, there are plenty of available spaces in plumbing"

You say the individual trumps the society, yet it doesn't. You can't say whatever the hell you want, society makes rules that you have to abide by or go to prison, how is this the individual trumping society exactly?

The right go on and on and on about how the left are destroying morals, morals are about society not the individual. Give me a break.

no kid at 12 knows what skills he needs and when he decides what skills he needs he then can find a place to get training in those skills
it isn't rocket science

Man you do like mixing your metaphors don't you? Rules or laws are a completely different matter than individual responsibility.

we are a country based on individual liberties and the responsibilities that go along with those liberties we are not and never will be a collective

Ah ha. No kid knows what they need for the rest of their life. So it's up to the adults then? It's up to people who know what skills are needed in society to go out there and make sure it happens.

Yes, the US is a country based on individual liberties and responsibilities. That doesn't mean society should completely break down. It doesn't mean that certain people should take a position of power and direct society towards a common goal. It seems you're confusing individual liberty for anarchy. Education is important for society, there's a reason mass education is compulsory in most countries that can afford it, because individuals do better and society does better. You want individual responsibility, but unwilling to teach the skills that kids will need in order to exercise this responsibility. It's bizarre.

The real world.

The problem is a country needs certain skills. Look at Germany, they set out to be a high tech manufacturer, seeing, rightly, that if you stick to the cheap stuff, that countries like China, Taiwan, Vietnam will be able to come along with low skilled and much cheaper workers and take over your jobs. The US is trying to get back jobs that it shouldn't have, and because it hasn't gone out there to get higher tech jobs, many of these are being done abroad too or require foreign workers to do them. This is a problem.

Some countries are deciding how they want their society to be, and they decided they want their society to be strong. You lot have decided you want low paid manufacturing jobs. I don't get it.
it's up to you to find out what skills will bring the best price in the marketplace and then get the training you need to perform those skills

Do you want to live in a country where you are told that you have to be a plumber because the country needs plumbers or would you rather make your own choices

Right, so a kid at the age of 12 decides what skills he needs, but the school he goes to doesn't provide those skills, then what?

A society is strong when people get to choose, but too much choice doesn't make society stronger, you still need people to do certain things. Is society strong when people get conscripted? Sure, but they don't have the choice, do they?

I'm not talking about telling people to be a plumber. Hey, I want to be a multi billionaire, but the job vacancy for that one is taken by someone else. So where's my choice? Oh, the choice is there, I can choose to pursue something, that doesn't mean there's going to be room for me. Plenty of kids apply for schools they can't get into because others are better, so they have to do something they don't want to do. That's life.

What I'm talking about is saying "hey, we need 50,000 kids to study to be a plumber this year, and 2,000 to be engineers, you can apply to be an engineer, but if you don't make it, there are plenty of available spaces in plumbing"

You say the individual trumps the society, yet it doesn't. You can't say whatever the hell you want, society makes rules that you have to abide by or go to prison, how is this the individual trumping society exactly?

The right go on and on and on about how the left are destroying morals, morals are about society not the individual. Give me a break.

no kid at 12 knows what skills he needs and when he decides what skills he needs he then can find a place to get training in those skills
it isn't rocket science

Man you do like mixing your metaphors don't you? Rules or laws are a completely different matter than individual responsibility.

we are a country based on individual liberties and the responsibilities that go along with those liberties we are not and never will be a collective

Ah ha. No kid knows what they need for the rest of their life. So it's up to the adults then? It's up to people who know what skills are needed in society to go out there and make sure it happens.

Yes, the US is a country based on individual liberties and responsibilities. That doesn't mean society should completely break down. It doesn't mean that certain people should take a position of power and direct society towards a common goal. It seems you're confusing individual liberty for anarchy. Education is important for society, there's a reason mass education is compulsory in most countries that can afford it, because individuals do better and society does better. You want individual responsibility, but unwilling to teach the skills that kids will need in order to exercise this responsibility. It's bizarre.

You just made a good case for bringing back the draft.

Don't work for minimum wage all your life assholes. Try getting some skills and work experience.

What about people with problems where getting a better job isn't an option?

People with concentration problems, people with mental problems, people with learning difficulties, the list is endless.

Getting a better job (or a JOB) is always an option, just depends on how hungry you get if nobody stuffs your mouth with free food.

Is it? Do you know what it's like having problems that you can't just solve by studying more? Some people can't take in as much as others, how are they going to compete? Oh, they should just be thrown out and live in the cold under a bridge because they were born with a brain that isn't as good as someone else's?

Where do you people get off?
you mean life isn't fair?

DUH

No, not really. I mean that fairness should come from certain quarters. Govt shouldn't be going around choosing arbitrarily. All kids should be given the same opportunities, like education. What they make of that education is something quite different.

it isn't rocket science

Well personally I think the Armed Forces could play a great role in sorting out kids who are struggling. If kids can't get a job, then give them the choice to go into the military, get an education etc. The problem is, the military is used by the rich, and the kids turn into cannon fodder so rich people can have another house.

it isn't rocket science

Well personally I think the Armed Forces could play a great role in sorting out kids who are struggling. If kids can't get a job, then give them the choice to go into the military, get an education etc. The problem is, the military is used by the rich, and the kids turn into cannon fodder so rich people can have another house.

Really you can get another house if you start a war?

You know the first part of your post made sense..

The last part is well.... ridiculous.

it isn't rocket science

Yeah, well I thought I was talking to someone who could actually get it. But I'll go simple and explain it for you. Another house is another way of saying they get more money. So by going to war they make themselves rich. Got it?

it isn't rocket science

Yeah, well I thought I was talking to someone who could actually get it. But I'll go simple and explain it for you. Another house is another way of saying they get more money. So by going to war they make themselves rich. Got it?

Not true though. So, yeah we get what you are saying is a lie. Is that what you are pointing out?

Regarding the bolded portion above - is that a typo? The rest of your post seems to indicate that you support the idea of using government to "direct society towards a common goal". And I think this is a very dangerous idea to accept. To me, it's the core question that libertarianism raises.

it isn't rocket science

This reminds me of this, I hope the trumpster could put an end to this waste too..

36A11E5400000578-0-image-a-59_1469609297735.jpg

If you don't know what it is the military is notorious for dumping perfectly new and good equipment.. Exspeacialy the Navy right before they return to port.. It has to do with the bean counters or something.

The real world.

it isn't rocket science

we already have education in this country and it's the politicians who fuck it up

You want to do something good for society then get rid of social promotion and grading on a curve and accept the reality that some people fail and that soon er or later each person has to decide what it is he or she will do.

I don't know about you but I don't want anyone telling me what to do for the rest of my life because some asshole on high says it's good for society

Don't work for minimum wage all your life assholes. Try getting some skills and work experience.

What about people with problems where getting a better job isn't an option?

People with concentration problems, people with mental problems, people with learning difficulties, the list is endless.

Getting a better job (or a JOB) is always an option, just depends on how hungry you get if nobody stuffs your mouth with free food.

Is it? Do you know what it's like having problems that you can't just solve by studying more? Some people can't take in as much as others, how are they going to compete? Oh, they should just be thrown out and live in the cold under a bridge because they were born with a brain that isn't as good as someone else's?

Where do you people get off?
you mean life isn't fair?

DUH

No, not really. I mean that fairness should come from certain quarters. Govt shouldn't be going around choosing arbitrarily. All kids should be given the same opportunities, like education. What they make of that education is something quite different.

And yet you want to tell those kids what to study if it's "good for society"

Not true though. So, yeah we get what you are saying is a lie. Is that what you are pointing out?

Oh, so nobody got themselves rich out of the Iraq War then?

The defense industry didn't make loads more money? Share prices didn't increase?

US_defense_spending.jpg

Look at defense spending after 9/11, you don't think anyone made it rich fro this? Spending was higher than the Vietnam War.

Regarding the bolded portion above - is that a typo? The rest of your post seems to indicate that you support the idea of using government to "direct society towards a common goal". And I think this is a very dangerous idea to accept. To me, it's the core question that libertarianism raises.

Yes, should be "shouldn't".

Well I'm not a libertarian, so... I think society is going to be ruled, it's human nature, every society is ruled by someone, we can't stop it, we can just try and make it as acceptable as possible.

Well I'm not a libertarian, so... I think society is going to be ruled, it's human nature, every society is ruled by someone, we can't stop it, we can just try and make it as acceptable as possible.

I guess that's the difference. I don't accept that we need to accept subjugation.

Which is why the American experiment stands out above all else,,since we the people rule here.....

it isn't rocket science

we already have education in this country and it's the politicians who fuck it up

You want to do something good for society then get rid of social promotion and grading on a curve and accept the reality that some people fail and that soon er or later each person has to decide what it is he or she will do.

I don't know about you but I don't want anyone telling me what to do for the rest of my life because some asshole on high says it's good for society

The problem is nothing you're saying is going to be able to be backed up with any evidence, is it? Hence why you didn't bother to back what you said up.

The thing is, I can prove that some social engineering actually has worked and had a positive effect. You look at places in the US with less positive social engineering and you end up with places like Louisiana and Mississippi where nothing seems to ever get better.

You don't want someone telling you what to do? But it happens anyway, go figure. You think you've got all this freedom of choice, and yet... you don't.

I guess that's the difference. I don't accept that we need to accept subjugation.

But you do. Without subjugation you have anarchy, with anarchy someone will take over and subjugate you... unfortunately some people will always try and gain power and take it. The Founding Fathers wanted a system playing of those people against each other so they'd control each other. Problem is it doesn't work in the 21st Century, the rich are controlling things more and more. To get what the Founding Fathers wanted you have to look for towards Proportional Representation, have MORE people getting LESS power, more political parties without any one party ever holding all the power and then them having to cooperate to get things done.

But even then you're subjugated.

it isn't rocket science

The problem is nothing you're saying is going to be able to be backed up with any evidence, is it? Hence why you didn't bother to back what you said up.

The thing is, I can prove that some social engineering actually has worked and had a positive effect. You look at places in the US with less positive social engineering and you end up with places like Louisiana and Mississippi where nothing seems to ever get better.

You don't want someone telling you what to do? But it happens anyway, go figure. You think you've got all this freedom of choice, and yet... you don't.
We will....

Forum List

Back