Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood

Instant potatoes are more expensive than real ones? I thought they were cheaper. Guess it depends on the type of potatoes you like.

Seriously, the relative cost depends upon where you are.

Unprocessed potatoes are largely water with some unusable peel. If you've shopping somewhere near where potatoes are grown then the cost of shipping the water and peel to you is so small as to make them cost much less than the instant ones.

But if you live somewhere, say 1,000 miles away from the nearest potato field, then the instant spuds cost about 2/3s LESS than the unprocessed ones.
I know little about the subject. At one time I used the instants when backpacking. Heck, I could make them edible just by adding water and what ever spices I was carrying. Didn't even have to heat them. Great for when it was pouring down rain and you just want to fill your gut with carbs. I'm fond of the more expensive varieties nowadays. Especially the little baby potatoes. and Yukon golds.
mostly sweet potatoes and yams for me.....
Try taro root...
scratchchin.gif

You don't have a *position*. All you've posted is a bunch of nonsense.

You're too busy dreaming up insults to read what I said...your agenda is a loser profile. The "nonsense" you're referring to is so far over your head you'd need binoculars to see it, witch.

I haven't insulted you. You see it as an insult when I point out where your info is incorrect, and I can't help that. However you've called me names in about half a dozen posts. And "Your agenda is a loser profile" doesn't even make sense.

You sound like maybe you're slamming heroin. I suggest you just say no.
You are awfully cranky here.

I think you have a tube steak deficiency.

My bro don't slam heroin, Hell I can't even get him to smoke a joint.

You seem really ragged out, perhaps some heroin might do YOU some good.

Jeez.
Your bro is a know-nothing douche who gets off on pretending to have inside information that he just doesn't have. He's some sort of low-level tech for the company that manages the ebt card account..but he has no clue about the program itself. I've given both of you lots and lots of kudos and reps, but I have exactly zero tolerance for big mouthed, chauvinistic assholes who get butt-hurt when a woman knows more than they do about something..and resort to the sort of nasty misogynistic bs that he's sinking into.

If that's the way you want to roll, go for it. Neither of you counts as any sort of a man in my book if that's the way you want to play.

People on food assistance can't win. If they buy junk food, they get judged. If they buy healthier (but more expensive!) food, they still get judged. It's food, for God's sake. Honestly, who cares what food they buy with it? It's still the same amount of money.
Those of us who have to scrimp and feed our children garbage care because we're funding them to eat like freaking kings.

Give it some time, that diet will catch up with you, but that is not the point. There are healthier, less expensive options. You pay for your own food, so you can eat whatever you want. If I have to pay for your food you will be eating beans instead of beef, perhaps some chicken.
If someone else has to pay for my food, I will slit my wrists.
its not shameful to accept help if you truly need it....
Most people are on welfare don't really need the help, they just need someone to kick them in the ass.
still doesnt negate what i said.....if you truly need help ....seek it
Need money, no hope without dope, send money SOON!
ask Katz....im sure she will help....

People on food assistance can't win. If they buy junk food, they get judged. If they buy healthier (but more expensive!) food, they still get judged. It's food, for God's sake. Honestly, who cares what food they buy with it? It's still the same amount of money.
Those of us who have to scrimp and feed our children garbage care because we're funding them to eat like freaking kings.
They are eating pate?

If someone else has to pay for my food, I will slit my wrists.
its not shameful to accept help if you truly need it....
Most people are on welfare don't really need the help, they just need someone to kick them in the ass.
still doesnt negate what i said.....if you truly need help ....seek it
Need money, no hope without dope, send money SOON!
ask Katz....im sure she will help....
Better send it or I will violate the civil rights of a ghey person...

This is a topic I know from both sides.

Yes milk costs $2.79 a gallon if you buy it in the right place BUT you use milk to cook and for breakfast....and if you buy DRIED milk at the beginning of the month you are set. It isn't yummy to drink, but you can make pudding and gravy and anything else that requires milk out of it (including breakfast drinks).

CARROTS and potatoes are almost free. I bought a 45 lb bag of carrots for my family about 9 months ago, I think they cost $8, and we still have carrots, and we eat them, too. No, most people are not crazy about eating the same thing every day, day in and day out...but that's what budgeting is about. Eat to live, don't live to eat. We eat the cheap stuff. That means we eat carrots (thankfully the kids like them) and we eat potatoes. We do not eat arugula and asparagus or organic rutabagas. We don't eat a lot of mushrooms. We eat ICEBURG LETTUCE and CABBAGE. And if you maintain that potatoes, carrots, iceburg lettuce and cabbage for a family of four for a month is more expensive than soda pop and frozen pizza, you're delusional. I know, I deal with this every single month.

We don't eat meat every day. We don't eat meat every other day. We fix one meal with meat maybe 1-2 x a week, and we use the leftovers for lunches and the carcasses and bones for soup and beans.

We NEVER buy steak, unless I find some really super cheap sirloin that's past it's date (I happen to like it better then, it's more tender. I've cured my own meat, the longer it sits the better). When I am concerned the kids aren't getting enough protein (and I'm concerned about it often) then I make them eat legumes and a grain (beans and cornbread, for example..beans and rice...beans bean beans) and hope that it will suffice as a complete protein.

THAT'S how you feed a family on a limited income. There is NO WAY that people on welfare should be eating better than people who bust their asses to put food on the table. There is no way that people like me should be forced to starve their children so that our government can keep our unworking class fat and complacent.

The last two weeks of last month, I fed my kids beans and one chicken, potatoes and eggs. And carrots. That's what we lived on for TWO WEEKS. And I'm not *eligible* for foodstamps. But assholes who have never lifted a finger in their lives, who say things like "I'm a stay-at-home mom, my kids are that important" call their workers up screeching "HOW CAN I FEED MY FAMILY ON $200 A MONTH??? There are 2 of us! That's not enough!!". I feed my family of 3 on $150 on a pretty regular basis. We eat about like you'd expect us to eat...monotonous boring food, day in and day out. No steaks. No sheet cakes from the bakery for birthdays (hell no). No lobster, ever. My kids have never tasted lobster. Some months, no beef to speak of. Yes, you can feed your children a healthy diet on a really slim welfare budget. I could feed 3 families for a month on the full 3-person foodstamp allotment.

And we can sure as shit tell the dept of Ag that we don't want to fund pizza pockets for the poor. Farmers will find a way to survive. BTW..yes, you can get deli items on ebt. You just can't get HOT deli items. You can also get Subway and Papa Murphy's.

Excellent post! I wanted to do more than "thank" this, it deserves a USMB Emmy.

From a different perspective.. I'm a guy who doesn't live on a budget, I am single and have enough to live comfortably, so I pay no attention to what I spend in an average month on groceries. I eat what I like, which isn't really extravagant. Sometimes, I will want a nice T-bone or shrimp but I tend to have a lot of frozen dinners I can pop in the microwave and not have to cook. When I do cook, I tend to go all out and make things like lasagna or spaghetti, or a pan of enchiladas. I like big honking breakfasts with biscuits and gravy, applewood bacon, farm fresh eggs and real butter... the works! Now and then, I get a craving for a good Reuben, so I go out and buy all the stuff to make them and feast out. In short, I don't have any limitations on what I spend for food.
That said, I have a close personal friend who gets food stamps. She was bragging the other day about how she now has about $600 worth of available funds built up... she gets $190 a month and lives alone like myself. Just out of curiosity, I went to my online bank statement and tabulated what I spent the past few months on groceries. I averaged $210 a month. Now, I am a smart enough person to know that the difference between my spending habits and "the bare necessities" is much more than $20.

But the whole problem here is the mentality of the political class who is seemingly in charge. The Liberals and establishment GOPers, want to continue pushing this idea that Federal Government is there to take care of everybody. That I am somehow obligated, as a citizen of Alabama, to care for a poor family in California. I have a civic obligation to concern myself with the needs in my community, perhaps even in my state, but I shouldn't be expected to care for the world. That's not MY obligation.

This is a topic I know from both sides.

Yes milk costs $2.79 a gallon if you buy it in the right place BUT you use milk to cook and for breakfast....and if you buy DRIED milk at the beginning of the month you are set. It isn't yummy to drink, but you can make pudding and gravy and anything else that requires milk out of it (including breakfast drinks).

CARROTS and potatoes are almost free. I bought a 45 lb bag of carrots for my family about 9 months ago, I think they cost $8, and we still have carrots, and we eat them, too. No, most people are not crazy about eating the same thing every day, day in and day out...but that's what budgeting is about. Eat to live, don't live to eat. We eat the cheap stuff. That means we eat carrots (thankfully the kids like them) and we eat potatoes. We do not eat arugula and asparagus or organic rutabagas. We don't eat a lot of mushrooms. We eat ICEBURG LETTUCE and CABBAGE. And if you maintain that potatoes, carrots, iceburg lettuce and cabbage for a family of four for a month is more expensive than soda pop and frozen pizza, you're delusional. I know, I deal with this every single month.

We don't eat meat every day. We don't eat meat every other day. We fix one meal with meat maybe 1-2 x a week, and we use the leftovers for lunches and the carcasses and bones for soup and beans.

We NEVER buy steak, unless I find some really super cheap sirloin that's past it's date (I happen to like it better then, it's more tender. I've cured my own meat, the longer it sits the better). When I am concerned the kids aren't getting enough protein (and I'm concerned about it often) then I make them eat legumes and a grain (beans and cornbread, for example..beans and rice...beans bean beans) and hope that it will suffice as a complete protein.

THAT'S how you feed a family on a limited income. There is NO WAY that people on welfare should be eating better than people who bust their asses to put food on the table. There is no way that people like me should be forced to starve their children so that our government can keep our unworking class fat and complacent.

The last two weeks of last month, I fed my kids beans and one chicken, potatoes and eggs. And carrots. That's what we lived on for TWO WEEKS. And I'm not *eligible* for foodstamps. But assholes who have never lifted a finger in their lives, who say things like "I'm a stay-at-home mom, my kids are that important" call their workers up screeching "HOW CAN I FEED MY FAMILY ON $200 A MONTH??? There are 2 of us! That's not enough!!". I feed my family of 3 on $150 on a pretty regular basis. We eat about like you'd expect us to eat...monotonous boring food, day in and day out. No steaks. No sheet cakes from the bakery for birthdays (hell no). No lobster, ever. My kids have never tasted lobster. Some months, no beef to speak of. Yes, you can feed your children a healthy diet on a really slim welfare budget. I could feed 3 families for a month on the full 3-person foodstamp allotment.

And we can sure as shit tell the dept of Ag that we don't want to fund pizza pockets for the poor. Farmers will find a way to survive. BTW..yes, you can get deli items on ebt. You just can't get HOT deli items. You can also get Subway and Papa Murphy's.

Excellent post! I wanted to do more than "thank" this, it deserves a USMB Emmy.

From a different perspective.. I'm a guy who doesn't live on a budget, I am single and have enough to live comfortably, so I pay no attention to what I spend in an average month on groceries. I eat what I like, which isn't really extravagant. Sometimes, I will want a nice T-bone or shrimp but I tend to have a lot of frozen dinners I can pop in the microwave and not have to cook. When I do cook, I tend to go all out and make things like lasagna or spaghetti, or a pan of enchiladas. I like big honking breakfasts with biscuits and gravy, applewood bacon, farm fresh eggs and real butter... the works! Now and then, I get a craving for a good Reuben, so I go out and buy all the stuff to make them and feast out. In short, I don't have any limitations on what I spend for food.
That said, I have a close personal friend who gets food stamps. She was bragging the other day about how she now has about $600 worth of available funds built up... she gets $190 a month and lives alone like myself. Just out of curiosity, I went to my online bank statement and tabulated what I spent the past few months on groceries. I averaged $210 a month. Now, I am a smart enough person to know that the difference between my spending habits and "the bare necessities" is much more than $20.

But the whole problem here is the mentality of the political class who is seemingly in charge. The Liberals and establishment GOPers, want to continue pushing this idea that Federal Government is there to take care of everybody. That I am somehow obligated, as a citizen of Alabama, to care for a poor family in California. I have a civic obligation to concern myself with the needs in my community, perhaps even in my state, but I shouldn't be expected to care for the world. That's not MY obligation.

Foodstamps were conceived of to prevent women and children from STARVING when their husbands were away at war, or out of the home looking for work cross country. They aren't meant to alleviate all need to budget, nor are they meant to provide for every culinary desire of a non-working family.

For people who work..they are meant as nothing more than a SUPPLEMENT. And for people who aren't working, they are meant to be enough to stave off starvation. A family of 6 doesn't need $925 a month to stave off starvation.

And what's more..they don't use it to stave off starvation! They sell the excess (and sometimes the rest too) for cash and drugs.

They should either be restricted in what they can buy..or better yet, we should just reduce the amount they receive by about 1/2. Trust me, living on potatoes and beans for a year is pretty motivating for most people. But you know your country is fucked when it's the people who work their asses off who have to live on potatoes and beans...while their tax dollars go to buy steak and full sheet birthday cakes for people who refuse to even look for a job.

yep.....i will buy sirloin burger over the 30% shit....ground Turkey is getting popular.....ground Bison is the best....

Turkey pisses me off though. I bought a 5lb Jenny-O chub on the weekend, damned thing was at least 50% water. They can cheat more on the ground turkey than the ground beef, it holds the water better. I do prefer it in spaghetti though.
I bought a whole one, paid out the ass for "fresh never frozen" and the goddamned thing was all fat.
like this one?.....

All unhealthy food should be off the list. Red meat is not a healthy source of protein.

ROFL

You're a fucking idiot.

Beefsteak is about the best source of protein there is.
No, you are the idiot for not knowing about the connection between red meat and cancer, heart disease and diabetes to name just the major prominent diseases. Even pro beef experts recommend only 3 4 oz servings of lean beef per week. And there is as much protein in chicken and fish per oz as beef. Heck, two spoons of peanut but have as much protein as an oz of beef.

Your bro is a know-nothing douche who gets off on pretending to have inside information that he just doesn't have. He's some sort of low-level tech for the company that manages the ebt card account..but he has no clue about the program itself. I've given both of you lots and lots of kudos and reps, but I have exactly zero tolerance for big mouthed, chauvinistic assholes who get butt-hurt when a woman knows more than they do about something..and resort to the sort of nasty misogynistic bs that he's sinking into.

If that's the way you want to roll, go for it. Neither of you counts as any sort of a man in my book if that's the way you want to play.

No hag, I was the OWNER of a First Data agency after a long career as a sales manager with Cardservice International. I know a low-income clerk mentality when I see one...never hired one because behind your back they act like you do....full of piss and vinegar but low on snap (hey a PUN)....I would imagine any of my rookie sales guys went into the field knowing more than you ever will about the EBT program...you're just another angry woman in a grocery line who got turned down from the program because you make just above the poverty line. No reason I should take any shit from you....I tried to be diplomatic but that's a language you call weakness. I pity those who you go home to at night.

No hag, I was the OWNER of a First Data agency after a long career as a sales manager with Cardservice International. I know a low-income clerk mentality when I see one...never hired one because behind your back they act like you do....full of piss and vinegar but low on snap (hey a PUN)....I would imagine any of my rookie sales guys went into the field knowing more than you ever will about the EBT program...you're just another angry woman in a grocery line who got turned down from the program because you make just above the poverty line. No reason I should take any shit from you....I tried to be diplomatic but that's a language you call weakness. I pity those who you go home to at night.

:uhh:
You don't know what you're talking about, and you were exposed.

And that makes you doubt your manhood. Which in turn makes you angry. Which in turn causes you to lash out at the women who oppress you.

I get it.

But I don't feel sorry for you, men like that are scumbags.

To recap:

People on foodstamps don't have to report every income change.
Cardservice agents do not have access to the determining factors of ebt card holders, they just do what is coded by DHS workers. They can see where money is being spent and view the cert periods..but they have no way of telling how that relates to eligibility overall. They do not keep records of who is spending what at what point in their eligibility, and if they do, they are committing a felony and would be shut down posthaste by the feds.
You are LYING when you make the claim that your posturing has any basis in fact. It's just your own assumptions based on what is borderline (or maybe not borderline) illegal data mining, and has nothing to do with the program itself..because the people who manage the nuts and bolts of the ebt cards don't have that authority or access to information.

But I always knew you were a bunch of retards, lol.

I can repeat this all day and night if you like. I like to expose angry frauds.

All unhealthy food should be off the list. Red meat is not a healthy source of protein.

ROFL

You're a fucking idiot.

Beefsteak is about the best source of protein there is.
No, you are the idiot for not knowing about the connection between red meat and cancer, heart disease and diabetes to name just the major prominent diseases. Even pro beef experts recommend only 3 4 oz servings of lean beef per week. And there is as much protein in chicken and fish per oz as beef. Heck, two spoons of peanut but have as much protein as an oz of beef.

Oh no, it's an anti-beef hysteric.

You guys are so nuts.

:uhh:
You don't know what you're talking about, and you were exposed.

And that makes you doubt your manhood. Which in turn makes you angry. Which in turn causes you to lash out at the women who oppress you.

I wouldn't let you "oppress" my pants with a steam iron....probably burn them like you do every dinner you cook. Once again you live for the last word and then likely stomp out and slam the door, your saggy old ass quivering from the end of your adrenaline rush. It's always entertaining to see a fishwife like you go all "chauvinist" on your betters. Frankly, I have enjoyed you embarrassing yourself in this thread. It seems something about me triggers RAGE in you....maybe I remind you of the one who got away that you compare your husband to each and every paycheck he brings home. I know you...there's thousands of you hating the negro woman because her kids get snack food while you serve week-old moldy chicken......and that's the secret spice in your recipe....racism with a touch of sour grapes. bon appetite hag.

You can get Lobster for $2.99 to $3.99 a pound all summer long here where I live, with a local Lobster shack near by...it's much cheaper than buying sirloin steak up here....and I would suppose a good steak is cheaper in Cattle Country than Lobster would be.

I can't wait till Summer! ( Actually I'd be happy with Spring.....it is snowing again right now.... so sick of it....) I want my Lobster, darn it!

You can get Lobster for $2.99 to $3.99 a pound all summer long here where I live, with a local Lobster shack near by...it's much cheaper than buying sirloin steak up here....and I would suppose a good steak is cheaper in Cattle Country than Lobster would be.

I can't wait till Summer! ( Actually I'd be happy with Spring.....it is snowing again right now.... so sick of it....) I want my Lobster, darn it!

I bought 2 pounds of breaded shrimp for $10 a couple days ago....easily four adult servings, delicious, and full of nutrients. All a person on welfare or otherwise has to do is keep their eyes open and clip coupons if they're so inclined. I watched a black guy present a cashier a couple dozen coupons a few weeks back....while the others in line were getting fed up with it, I enjoyed him showing the gumption to save as much as he could....he wasn't your stereotype black thug...just a middle-aged guy trying to get the best price he could.

We have charity food banks up here, for the poor who do not qualify for extra gvt assistance/food stamps, or it is not enough...and they have been running low on food because of all the additional people needing help. Food is very very very expensive up here all winter long...in the summer prices go down, but are still much higher than most of the nation, (other than local items such as Lobster or shrimp or Halibut, potatoes, blueberries, cranberries, maple syrup)

Forum List

Back