Money In Politics

Nope. Government is much more dangerous. Corporations aren't legally authorized to imprison or kill me if I defy them. Government is.
Currently corporations can't legally imprison or kill you because government regulations prevent them. Shrink government sufficiently, and corporations will gladly accept the monopoly of violence and individuals will pay the price.
libertarian-definition.png

Definitions of Libertarianism - The Advocates for Self-Government

We've been over that. Neither. You're presuming a false dilemma.
There's no false dilemma involved in the choice between private corporate rule or democratic institutions.es.
Yeah, it's false alright. "Private corporate rule" is delusional. They don't have that kind of power. Regardless of whether they are "regulated" or not, Microsoft or Apple can't pass laws and have me arrested.

You keep insisting that if government doesn't control businesses, they will run amok. Do you make the same presumption with individuals? Should they be controlled by government as well? And if they are not, will they run amok?

Either corporations will be held accountable by the civil justice system or corporations supply private alternatives.

Business should be held accountable. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But regulation doesn't hold them accountable for their actions. It's dictates their actions. Do you understand the difference?

Nope. Government is much more dangerous. Corporations aren't legally authorized to imprison or kill me if I defy them. Government is.
Currently corporations can't legally imprison or kill you because government regulations prevent them. Shrink government sufficiently, and corporations will gladly accept the monopoly of violence and individuals will pay the price.
libertarian-definition.png

Definitions of Libertarianism - The Advocates for Self-Government

There is really something radically wrong with you.

Yeah, it's false alright. "Private corporate rule" is delusional. They don't have that kind of power. Regardless of whether they are "regulated" or not, Microsoft or Apple can't pass laws and have me arrested.
Power abhors a vacuum.
Shrink democratic government to a point where it's no longer capable of providing public safety, and private for-profit corporations will fill the void.

Private prison and nascent private courts (not to mention private police/paramilitary forces) are in existence right now and only a government strong enough to restrict their actions will prevent them from earning even more profits by seizing the monopoly of violence.
ce099e666a2cab8fa82d7cdf7ae40432.jpg

Founders Online: Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 12 November 1816.

You keep insisting that if government doesn't control businesses, they will run amok. Do you make the same presumption with individuals? Should they be controlled by government as well? And if they are not, will they run amok?
I wouldn't want to live in a society without law enforcement, would you? After all, selfishness is why capitalism was invented.

Power abhors a vacuum.
Shrink democratic government to a point where it's no longer capable of providing public safety, and private for-profit corporations will fill the void.

Private prison and nascent private courts (not to mention private police/paramilitary forces) are in existence right now and only a government strong enough to restrict their actions will prevent them from earning even more profits by seizing the monopoly of violence.
ce099e666a2cab8fa82d7cdf7ae40432.jpg

Founders Online: Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 12 November 1816.

Shrink democratic government to a point where it's no longer capable of providing public safety,

Is that what they already did in Minneapolis, Portland and Seattle?
They have tiny governments unable to provide public safety?

Business should be held accountable. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But regulation doesn't hold them accountable for their actions. It's dictates their actions. Do you understand the difference?
Maybe.
What are your definitions?
When JP Morgan Chase pleads guilty to multiple felony counts over a period of years yet its CEO is not forced to resign, is that a failing of accountability or action?

We hear complaints from the Right all the time about how much regulations cost business and what a bad thing that is.

But the deep dark secret is that the old sclerotic businesses who own Capitol Hill want to be heavily regulated.
So they can snuff out any competition. Yes.

Oddball, give g5000 back his account and stop hacking him.
He’s always for smaller government, the problem is republicans are not. Tariffs are another problem...
Yeah, trade wars were always a left wing thing. Trump has always been a far left Democrat. I can't recall how many times I warned this forum in 2016 about that.

Trillion dollar deficits, morally corrupt, craven, trade wars. Figure it out, people!

I'm voting for Jo Jorgensen.
You'll have to keep voting Libertarian.

That "limited government" and "conservative values" crap was a lie all this time.

What they REALLY wanted was a Trump.
What about the 19 million Independents and 4 million Dems who voted for Trump? Do ya think perhaps what most of the 63 million who voted for him just wanted an America-firster for a change?

When JP Morgan Chase pleads guilty to multiple felony counts over a period of years yet its CEO is not forced to resign, is that a failing of accountability or action?

Did he commit the felony?
Did he direct the felony to be committed?
They have over 250,000 employees.
If one gets pulled over, should Dimon be forced to take a sobriety test?

Power abhors a vacuum.

It's not about shrinking government so that it's ineffectual. Government should have all the power it needs to perform it's legitimate functions, like providing public safety. But we don't need government dictating business practices and other wise controlling society with "regulation".

What the fuck are you talking about? Government doesn't need to be "strong" to restrict private prisons. Just cancel their contracts. Are you imagining sending in the military to close down a private prison? All we have to do is stop paying them.

You have this weird world view where we must enslave ourselves to either government or corporations, but it's all in your head. Apple isn't going break into my house and force me to buy a computer simply because the government isn't regulating them as much as you'd like.

Last edited:
Maybe.
What are your definitions?

The difference is between laws that protect freedom (individual rights), and laws that bully people to suit the agenda of those in power (regulations).

If the CEO was found guilty, he/she should go to jail. If that hasn't happened, that's a failure of government.

Forum List

Back