Most Americans Are Missing Out

Enjoyment of art does not require the participation in it. We can appreciate beauty without creating it.

And some of us are able to create beauty in different ways. The OP probably doesn't have anything close to my skills and talent as a photographer. I guess that must make him “uneducated”.

ZSC_9861n.jpg
ZSC_8644n.JPG
ZSC_8582_stitchN.jpg
ZSC_5648d.jpg
ZSC_5643d.jpg
ZSC_5651SqD.jpg
ZSC_5684n.jpg
FlowersHeart1K.JPG
12487672144_ef50989424_o1K.jpg

Last edited:
Stop talking to your mirror. Yes, I hit a raw nerve, all right. YOURS. Where you can't stand it to think that you aren't fully educated, because of your pitiful inability to play any musical instrument.

In my youth, I tried to learn to play a clarinet. I took lessons, and everything.

Though I was able to get the technical aspects of operating the device, it became clear that I wasn't meant to be a musician. I have many great talents, but music is not among them. I have no doubt that I have talents that are at least as valuable as playing a musical instrument, that you do not have.

Perhaps it is you who are “uneducated”, because you don't have some of my talents.
Playing music isn't much of a talent thing. It is more of an effort thing. It's rather rare to find someone unable to play a musical instrument if they simply apply themself to it.
Generally, anyone can play an instrument.

"Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration.". (Thomas Edison)

As for me not having others' talents, I mentioned that in the OP, referring to carpentry and airplane flying. Helps if you read the OP a bit slower.

Last edited:
Enjoyment of art does not require the participation in it. We can appreciate beauty without creating it.

And some of us are able to create beauty in different ways. The OP probably doesn't have anything close to my skills and talent as a photographer. I guess that must make him “uneducated”.

View attachment 304529 View attachment 304531 View attachment 304532 View attachment 304533 View attachment 304534 View attachment 304535 View attachment 304536 View attachment 304538View attachment 304541
I haven't done photography since the early 1980's, when I had a Canon AE1 I think it was, single reflex camera, I think it was called.

Over the years, however, I have amassed a collection of over 100 drawings, oil, and watercolor paintings that I've done. I also have that same number of poems written + movie scripts copywrited in Wash. DC.

So if if you don't have that (to use your words),..... "I guess that makes you uneducated"

Most Americans with college degrees consider themselves well-educated. I don't. I find most of them unable to play a single bar of a single song or tune, on any musical instrument.

For those who have no interest in music, I can understand their non-participation. These folks however, are a tiny minority. When asked if they like music, almost all say they do. Yet, at the same time, they choose to be nothing more than listeners.

These people are missing out on one of the great treasures in life. Sure, it requires some effort and bits of time, but these are easily worthwhile, relative to the lifelong reward of the enjoyment of playing your own music.

Some people do have other hobbies and may say I'm missing out by not doing what they do. (carpentry, flying a plane, etc). That may be true. But here now, I'm just talking about playing music.

Since most people do like music, they ought to buy an instrument, and take some lessons to get started. Soon, they will wonder why they didn't do that years ago.
I don't have a college degree, but consider myself well educated. From reading books, literally thousands of them. And I LOVE music, but don't play any instruments. I love to listen to those who DO play their instruments well.

Most Americans with college degrees consider themselves well-educated. I don't. I find most of them unable to play a single bar of a single song or tune, on any musical instrument.

For those who have no interest in music, I can understand their non-participation. These folks however, are a tiny minority. When asked if they like music, almost all say they do. Yet, at the same time, they choose to be nothing more than listeners.

These people are missing out on one of the great treasures in life. Sure, it requires some effort and bits of time, but these are easily worthwhile, relative to the lifelong reward of the enjoyment of playing your own music.

Some people do have other hobbies and may say I'm missing out by not doing what they do. (carpentry, flying a plane, etc). That may be true. But here now, I'm just talking about playing music.

Since most people do like music, they ought to buy an instrument, and take some lessons to get started. Soon, they will wonder why they didn't do that years ago.
I don't have a college degree, but consider myself well educated. From reading books, literally thousands of them. And I LOVE music, but don't play any instruments. I love to listen to those who DO play their instruments well.
Why not pick out an instrument and buy one and take some lessons ? You'll have a wonderful thing to carry through life with you.

If you should decide to get an instrument, be sure to get a hard-shell case for it. Musical instruments are fragile, and over time, you can grow very fond of them. Kind of like how people love their car.

I tried piano lessons when I was kid, hated it. So I didn't learn much. I would love to and have had numerous dreams of play(ing) electric guitar. But my manual dexterity is VERY bad, and I think it may be useless to try. And I'm getting a bit long in the tooth, I turn 59 next month. But I really do love hearing others that are masters at their instruments. I have an ever growing collection of CD's, I have easily over 2,000. And I'll always prefer having an actual physical copy of the music rather than the download crap, where you don't actually own something that is tangible.

It's a gift, that not all people are gifted with.... some like me, are meant to simply be good listeners! :)

My husband is musically gifted, song writer, guitarist, pianist, singer....an all around musician... And is an artist and poet... He got all the creative talent! I'm a numbers person, love mathematics and statistics and analysis.... of which he is weak at, or gets bored with....

We make a good team! :D

Perhaps. but I have a college degree and a Takamine that seldom sees daylight. I have just never really enjoyed playing that much. I thought I would but it turned out I am rather inept.

It's a gift, that not all people are gifted with.... some like me, are meant to simply be good listeners! :)

My husband is musically gifted, song writer, guitarist, pianist, singer....an all around musician... And is an artist and poet... He got all the creative talent! I'm a numbers person, love mathematics and statistics and analysis.... of which he is weak at, or gets bored with....

Anybody can play an instrument. All they need to do is try. I'm with Edison on this.

Perhaps. but I have a college degree and a Takamine that seldom sees daylight. I have just never really enjoyed playing that much. I thought I would but it turned out I am rather inept.
Take some lessons and make that Takamine come alive. Oh come on,. You can't put 3 chords together? Can't combine just a few notes to play a very simple tune ?

I tried piano lessons when I was kid, hated it. So I didn't learn much. I would love to and have had numerous dreams of play(ing) electric guitar. But my manual dexterity is VERY bad, and I think it may be useless to try. And I'm getting a bit long in the tooth, I turn 59 next month. But I really do love hearing others that are masters at their instruments. I have an ever growing collection of CD's, I have easily over 2,000. And I'll always prefer having an actual physical copy of the music rather than the download crap, where you don't actually own something that is tangible.
You're young, still in your 50s. I'm 73 and have arthritis in my left index finger. Still, I play fast tunes on the fiddle and keep up with the group.

If you get a guitar, take a few lessons, and then just tinker with it day by day, you'll get pretty good at it.

Take some lessons and make that Takamine come alive. Oh come on,. You can't put 3 chords together? Can't combine just a few notes to play a very simple tune ?

LOL. I have taken lessons. I can play. I just do not enjoy it that much. I am a bit tone deaf anyway. I will just leave it until I can find someone who I think would really appreciate the guitar. I won it in a raffle so it isn't like I wasted money on it.

LOL. I have taken lessons. I can play. I just do not enjoy it that much. I am a bit tone deaf anyway. I will just leave it until I can find someone who I think would really appreciate the guitar. I won it in a raffle so it isn't like I wasted money on it.
Hard to imagine not enjoying playing the guitar. Try Beatle songs. They have really nice chord progression
Neil Young is another good one.
Or get together with bluegrass musicians (banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dobro)

Last edited:

View attachment 304529 View attachment 304531 View attachment 304532 View attachment 304533 View attachment 304534 View attachment 304535 View attachment 304536 View attachment 304538View attachment 304541

I enjoyed macro photography too. Then they took my kodachrome away and I lost interest.
As I worked at a company that developed CMOS imagers or camera chips, I never got back into photography once it went digital or rather more correctly electronic. It was too much of a bussman's holiday I guess.
I have hundreds of slides and a scanner but I just never seem to get around to scanning them. Chemical photography seemed to add a degree of difficulty that is missing with electronic photography. I'd planned while away hours in retirement making cibachrome prints of my slides but first they took cibachrome away, then they took kodachrome and I was out of it. I managed to unload my enlarger and dark room stuff but I still have shit loads of camera gear.

Iv

Hard to imagine not enjoying playing the guitar. Try Beatle songs. They have really nice chord progression

I've made two attempts to play the guitar. One in my youth and the other in retirement. Both times I came to the realization that music is not among my talents ie I suck at it.

BTW I think Neil Young sucks. He has just one song I can tolerate, the rest I detest. The asshole ruined CS&N for me.

Iv

I've made two attempts to play the guitar. One in my youth and the other in retirement. Both times I came to the realization that music is not among my talents ie I suck at it.

BTW I think Neil Young sucks. He has just one song I can tolerate, the rest I detest. The asshole ruined CS&N for me.
To each his own. I like Neil Young,s songs, even though I don't like his high voice. He was a good friend of Trump too, at one time. Maybe still is.

Google Image Result for https://townsquare.media/site/295/files/2015/06/Trump-and-Neil-630x420.jpg?w=980&q=75

Anybody can play an instrument. All they need to do is try. I'm with Edison on this.
Trust me, I've tried.... first piano though it was more like a child's playtoy organ, that had numbers on each key, so you read numbers to play instead of notes.... I was about 6 years old, and because I was born a numbers person, to this very day I can play Silent Night, by number.... 5 6 5 3, 5 6 5 3, 9 9 7, 8 8 5......

:D:D

Then I tried Clarinet, parents bought me one, took lessons, a no go with that too.....

Then my parents bought me a guitar around 11 and I tried, with lessons and a girlfriend and her father who played tried to help.... but no cigar... just couldn't do it well, so lost interest....

Iv

To each his own. I like Neil Young,s songs, even though I don't like his high voice. He was a good friend of Trump too, at one time. Maybe still is.

Google Image Result for https://townsquare.media/site/295/files/2015/06/Trump-and-Neil-630x420.jpg?w=980&q=75
To each his own. I suppose some like rap crap too but I can't stand it.

Trust me, I've tried.... first piano though it was more like a child's playtoy organ, that had numbers on each key, so you read numbers to play instead of notes.... I was about 6 years old, and because I was born a numbers person, to this very day I can play Silent Night, by number.... 5 6 5 3, 5 6 5 3, 9 9 7, 8 8 5......

Then I tried Clarinet, parents bought me one, took lessons, a no go with that too.....

Then my parents bought me a guitar around 11 and I tried, with lessons and a girlfriend and her father who played tried to help.... but no cigar... just couldn't do it well, so lost interest....
I believe musical talent is something that you're either born with or you just don't have it and you never will regardless of how much you practice or how a hard you try. Even if you bust your ass, you'll never get beyond mediocre. This explains idiot savants like Mozart who could just sit down and play, compose and it came out of thin air. There are numerous examples of natural musical talent almost anyone who ever made it big had it. But my gifts lie in other areas like electronics for example. To me electronics made infinite sense from an early age so I was really good at it. However, music just never made any sense to me not the theory, harmony or notation. I could never get it. It was always just so much senseless gibberish and incomprehensible nonsense to my mind. They say there is a strong correlation between music and math but for me math made sense but music while enjoyable is utter nonsense on the technical level. In short, you've either got it or you don't. And I think the same is true of most fields of human endeavor regardless of what field or specialty it may be.

Try the mandolin .It's easier than all the instruments you mentioned, and you can graduate from it to the violin, the best of all instruments.

On both the MANDolin and VIolin, you can play a tune in 3 different keys ,(G, D, A) without changing your finger pattern, and the scale of them is easy.

Forum List

Back