MSNBC - The bane of conservatives - is one of the few outlets acknowledging Paul wins

Hey, who knows. That might have been the biggest reason Rand won. It doesn't HAVE to mean he owes them ANYTHING.

If he snaked them, he'd probably lose that support in the reelection, but by then his performance and record alone could be enough, as it has always been with his father.

Maybe. I'm certainly hoping that's the way it works out.

Where is the anti-war left!?!?!? It would be amazing for Paul to end the wars and not Obama.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_VHEts3fqk]What Happened to the Antiwar Movement? - YouTube[/ame]

Hey, who knows. That might have been the biggest reason Rand won. It doesn't HAVE to mean he owes them ANYTHING.

If he snaked them, he'd probably lose that support in the reelection, but by then his performance and record alone could be enough, as it has always been with his father.

I have to be honest, I've been extremely busy this year building a business up until the last couple weeks where it has expectedly slowed down a bit, and I haven't really kept up much on politics. How has Rand done so far? As Ron Paul Republicans, what grade do we give him so far?

I have to be honest, I've been extremely busy this year building a business up until the last couple weeks where it has expectedly slowed down a bit, and I haven't really kept up much on politics. How has Rand done so far? As Ron Paul Republicans, what grade do we give him so far?

Rand Paul has done well so far. He is carrying on his father's legacy in the Senate.

I haven't really kept up on the news regarding Rand, so I wouldn't be willing to give him a 'grade' just yet. Might make a good thread topic though. I'd love to hear from people who have been following him.

Rand Paul has done well so far. He is carrying on his father's legacy in the Senate.
Not even close. He's a hypocrite and a disaster.

Not even close. He's a hypocrite and a disaster.

You'll understand, of course, if us conservatives don't exactly accept the opinion of a partisan liberal :thup:

I haven't really kept up on the news regarding Rand, so I wouldn't be willing to give him a 'grade' just yet. Might make a good thread topic though. I'd love to hear from people who have been following him.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm not a Republican. Unless the Republicans nominate Paul, or someone even less likely like Gary Johnson, I'll vote independent or Libertarian. Or not at all.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDM8US25xXg&feature=related]Ron Paul's First Action as President - YouTube[/ame]

Amen, Ron Paul!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how excited I am about this primary. I have already offered to volunteer, and encourage everyone else to do so, or in the very least contribute money and tell everyone you know.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm not a Republican. Unless the Republicans nominate Paul, or someone even less likely like Gary Johnson, I'll vote independent or Libertarian. Or not at all.
Well I'm still registered republican and hanging on by a thread. It's mainly because my state is closed primary and I want to be able to vote for the few good conservatives that come along in elections at all levels.

I'm still proud to call myself a Ron Paul republican.

Amen, Ron Paul!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how excited I am about this primary. I have already offered to volunteer, and encourage everyone else to do so, or in the very least contribute money and tell everyone you know.

I did that last time. Canvassed, worked the polls, the whole bit. I highly recommend you do. It was a very worthwhile experience, but very depressing in the end. The overwhelming lessons I learned were these:

"All politics is local" is so much truer than you know. Working the polling stations, watching the precinct captains handing out the rosters with the establishment approved candidates to the voters as the approached the polls. It was a real eye-opener. The precinct captain at the poll I worked seemed to know every voter personally, shaking their hand, reminding them of the various favors the local party leadership had done for that particular person - and then pushing the roster of pre-ordained candidates and thanking them for their support.

The other truism that was far worse than I'd imagined was the 'Scare the seniors' approach. Our local precinct actually bused in seniors from the local old folks homes - knowing that they would be fare more likely to go with the establishment favorites.

In short, it's an incredibly stacked deck. Still, the primaries are where the real opportunities lie. Not all of the locals are as organized as the old-school precincts around Philly (where I was working), and well organized local efforts can 'subvert the dominate paradigm'.

I don't think I have the energy or the time to go through it again, but I doubt you'll regret it if you do. Just don't expect a stunning victory. ;)

I did that last time. Canvassed, worked the polls, the whole bit. I highly recommend you do. It was a very worthwhile experience, but very depressing in the end. The overwhelming lessons I learned were these:

"All politics is local" is so much truer than you know. Working the polling stations, watching the precinct captains handing out the rosters with the establishment approved candidates to the voters as the approached the polls. It was a real eye-opener. The precinct captain at the poll I worked seemed to know every voter personally, shaking their hand, reminding them of the various favors the local party leadership had done for that particular person - and then pushing the roster of pre-ordained candidates and thanking them for their support.

The other truism that was far worse than I'd imagined was the 'Scare the seniors' approach. Our local precinct actually bused in seniors from the local old folks homes - knowing that they would be fare more likely to go with the establishment favorites.

In short, it's an incredibly stacked deck. Still, the primaries are where the real opportunities lie. Not all of the locals are as organized as the old-school precincts around Philly (where I was working), and well organized local efforts can 'subvert the dominate paradigm'.

I don't think I have the energy or the time to go through it again, but I doubt you'll regret it if you do. Just don't expect a stunning victory. ;)

I feel you my man, I did the same thing, and saw the same things.

Remember during the primaries Paul was doing real well in a state (i forget which one now), and the establishment ran a separate slate where the rest of the candidates actually colluded with each other called "Pro Life Pro Family" or some bullshit like that to take the delegates away from Paul when he clearly had the majority support there?

I feel you my man, I did the same thing, and saw the same things.

Remember during the primaries Paul was doing real well in a state (i forget which one now), and the establishment ran a separate slate where the rest of the candidates actually colluded with each other called "Pro Life Pro Family" or some bullshit like that to take the delegates away from Paul when he clearly had the majority support there?

Yeah.. I remember hearing about that.

The really amazing thing, that I don't the press ever really quite 'got', is just how genuinely "grassroots" it all was. We ran the local campaign here with virtually no direction, and even less financial support, from the central campaign.

I actually think that Paul's original plan (in 2008) was to make it through the first few debates, take some worthwhile shots at the neo-cons on the national stage, and drop out. When things snowballed and people really turned on to what he was saying, I think it really took him by surprise.

At least this time it seems like things are better organized. I still don't think people realize that that first record breaking 'money bomb', the Nov. 5th thing where we raised over 4 million dollars in one day, was entirely driven by grassroots enthusiasts. RP didn't even know about it until a couple of weeks before it went down, and was completely taken aback by the results.

The official campaign is actually organizing the fund raising these days, and I think it's an improvement (if less romantic). He seems to be running a real campaign this time around (as opposed to an afterthought inspired by a grassroots movement). The results in Ames indicates it's working, even if the press doesn't want to admit it.

So if he was elected president and he decides to end the conflict in Afghanistan, how does Congress stop him? I am asking in good faith, because as far as I understand Congress could not stop him as Commander and Chief of doing that.

This is indicative of how screwed up things have become, allowing the Executive unilateral control over the military. Only Congress has the authority to declare war. Once declared, the Executive serves as C-in-C – that designation is not static. Once Congress’ authorization of military action ends, so does the Executive’s authority as C-in-C.

Since the courts refuse to weigh in on the issue, this could create a Constitutional crisis, if President Paul were to refuse to serve as C-in-C, or in that capacity order the military home although military action is still authorized. What would Congress’ reaction be if the Executive were to ignore a war resolution.

Otherwise I believe a Paul presidency would be of greater annoyance to the GOP than the democrats.

This is indicative of how screwed up things have become, allowing the Executive unilateral control over the military. Only Congress has the authority to declare war. Once declared, the Executive serves as C-in-C – that designation is not static. Once Congress’ authorization of military action ends, so does the Executive’s authority as C-in-C.

Since the courts refuse to weigh in on the issue, this could create a Constitutional crisis, if President Paul were to refuse to serve as C-in-C, or in that capacity order the military home although military action is still authorized. What would Congress’ reaction be if the Executive were to ignore a war resolution.

Otherwise I believe a Paul presidency would be of greater annoyance to the GOP than the democrats.

I seriously doubt he would ignore a war resolution. Though he could certainly veto it. In any case, one of his biggest complaints about modern foreign policy is exactly this issue - that Congress must vote to declare war. And in most cases, they aren't willing to do so, preferring to passively cooperate with 'police actions' and U.N. 'resolutions'.

Wins what? As for MSNBC, they'll try to paint Paul as a racist when it suits them.

He came in third in Iowa.

Won a NH young republican straw poll.

Ron Paul Wins New Hampshire Young Republicans Straw Poll

I like a lot of what Ron Paul says--BUT--he really doesn't have a shot in winning the nomination--primarily over his foreign policy stance. It's hard to get Americans to believe that if we knew where OSB was--that we shouldn't violate foreign air space to get him. That's what Ron Paul says. Also--Iran getting a Nuke is a very dangerous policy. The birth of terrorism starts and ends in Iran--and I believe they would have no qualms what-so-ever is using a nuke. So that's where Ron Paul goes wrong with the sentiment of the American public.

However--I do see a real up and comer in his son Rand Paul--and he may be President one day because of his stances. He just needs to tweek a little on his dad's foreign policy.

So if he was elected president and he decides to end the conflict in Afghanistan, how does Congress stop him? I am asking in good faith, because as far as I understand Congress could not stop him as Commander and Chief of doing that.

Has war been declared in Afghanistan? How about Libya?

The fact that the Executive branch has sought UN authority, while ignoring the role of the US Congress, in the Libya conflict is indicative of how screwed up things have become.

What is your point, exactly?

Wins what? As for MSNBC, they'll try to paint Paul as a racist when it suits them.

He came in third in Iowa.

Won a NH young republican straw poll.

Ron Paul Wins New Hampshire Young Republicans Straw Poll

I like a lot of what Ron Paul says--BUT--he really doesn't have a shot in winning the nomination--primarily over his foreign policy stance. It's hard to get Americans to believe that if we knew where OSB was--that we shouldn't violate foreign air space to get him. That's what Ron Paul says. Also--Iran getting a Nuke is a very dangerous policy. The birth of terrorism starts and ends in Iran--and I believe they would have no qualms what-so-ever is using a nuke. So that's where Ron Paul goes wrong with the sentiment of the American public.

However--I do see a real up and comer in his son Rand Paul--and he may be President one day because of his stances. He just needs to tweek a little on his dad's foreign policy.

I am sick of hearing "I like what he says, but he can't win", it is god damned bull shit. You want to know why so many people believe this, because when faced with the facts that the media's coverage of the GOP primary is biased, in many instances simply ignoring Paul's candidacy, they say "he isn't electable, that's why we aren't reporting him".

It isn't the media's job to determine who is electable, that is our job. Don't buy into their bullshit that anyone is electable. Jesus, no one thought someone named Barack Hussein Obama would ever be elected in 2008.

Forum List

Back