MW advocates - what are the downsides of minimum wage?

OTE="Asclepias, post: 21300138, member: 44774"]
I think most of them do get it, but the rules of partisan debate forbid them admitting any tradeoffs, any downside, any weakness to their favored policies. And if they're following those "debate" rules, you'll never get an honest answer out of them. They'll dodge, juke, jive and lie their asses off - anything but face reality.

Moronic argument. Your stated downside is unsubstantiated. You are asking others to make your argument for you.

Paying people enough to live on is a straight up win win for everyone. Long term win for businesses and taxpayers. Income inequality is a loser for everyone.

It is what it is.

Not if you raise it for everyone , god you have no common sense do you?
You dont have to give everyone a raise because you raise MW. Thats needeless conjecture.

I didn't say that, I said no one gets ahead if everyone gets a raise and once again people making $8 to $15 are getting fucked up the ass if the national minimum wage is raised to $15..

They spent all that time trying to get ahead only to realize they now make minimum wage .

I think they will be happy they can afford to pay their necessities and work harder to go up in wages.

Again look at new Zealand which you refuse to acknowledge. More money doesn't equal more wealth if you have to pay more for a bag of Doritos .

.[/QUOTE]
Of course more money doesnt equal more wealth. Wealth is measured in time. Besides raising the MW is not to make people wealthy. Its to allow them to survive without being on welfare.

You think you can put minimum wage up so high that it can out beat prices .

Lol it's the tail wagging the dog.
I thought thats what you meant but I wasnt sure. Anyone that raises their prices gets charged with price gouging and a lengthy prison fine. If you sold a bar of soap for a $1 yesterday you better not raise the price because of MW going up.

Say what?

You fucking think people can't raise prices because the minimum wage went up?

Where do you live, Cuba?

I just want Bear to explain what he means by the MW being zero. Does anyone else know what he is talking about?

This is something you can never comprehend can you? That's why we say no matter what the national minimum wage is, it's always ground zero

New Zealand national minimum wage $17 an hour .

New Zealand's 'working poor' and the push to understand how many are struggling

Unemployment is at its lowest in a decade - at 4.4 per cent in March - but wage growth has stagnated.

So you can get a job, but it might not pay the bills. Sitting between employment rates and wage statistics are the working poor - employed, but doing it hard.

With the political spotlight on poverty, a Government-backed study wants to answer the question: who are the working poor?

1526445528895.jpg

ANDY JACKSON/STUFF
Some families are still struggling to provide for their children, despite being in fulltime work, or having several jobs. (File photo)
Ask Joanna, 49, who has been behind the counter at a major New Zealand retailer for almost 20 years.

Stuff has withheld her last name, and that of her employer, for privacy reasons.

It takes Joanna around 40 hours at $20.40 an hour - $4 above the minimum wage - to earn the week's rent.

Her $550 weekly pay cheque - after tax, KiwiSaver, union fees, and $20 tucked away for Christmas - is practically gone before it's in her hand.

A $70 accommodation supplement from Work and Income helps - it has just gone up from $40 - but it still won't cover the bills.

"I have to reapply for it every three months, which is insulting, I work bloody fulltime."

And it won't feed her two boys, who are at university. They each pay board of $140 a week, which helps put food on the table and keeps the lights on.

"They couldn't afford to pay more, because they're struggling students
That doesnt explain why you say that MW is always zero. What you are doing is taking an economic phenomenon that occurs in cycles and claiming its because of MW being $17/hr. Besides paying for food for someone in college is not a necessity because college is not a necessity. Dont give me a link. Tell me from your understanding why you say MW is always zero.

I thought you said raising minimum wage takes people off of the government?

I just proved it false by using New Zealand high minimum wage as an example .

Once again no matter where you peg minimum wage at it's still Zero.
I didnt say that but I agree. If your minimum wage pays the necessities you dont qualify for welfare.

No you didnt prove anything which is why I asked you to explain what you meant.

So you can't read now?

I already told you what I thought about your New Zealand story. It doesnt work because the same thing is occurring in countries without a mandatory MW.

OTE="Asclepias, post: 21300138, member: 44774"]
Moronic argument. Your stated downside is unsubstantiated. You are asking others to make your argument for you.

Paying people enough to live on is a straight up win win for everyone. Long term win for businesses and taxpayers. Income inequality is a loser for everyone.

It is what it is.

Not if you raise it for everyone , god you have no common sense do you?
You dont have to give everyone a raise because you raise MW. Thats needeless conjecture.

I didn't say that, I said no one gets ahead if everyone gets a raise and once again people making $8 to $15 are getting fucked up the ass if the national minimum wage is raised to $15..

They spent all that time trying to get ahead only to realize they now make minimum wage .

I think they will be happy they can afford to pay their necessities and work harder to go up in wages.

Again look at new Zealand which you refuse to acknowledge. More money doesn't equal more wealth if you have to pay more for a bag of Doritos .

Of course more money doesnt equal more wealth. Wealth is measured in time. Besides raising the MW is not to make people wealthy. Its to allow them to survive without being on welfare.[/QUOTE]

But they can't no matter where you put the national minimum wage at

Chicago for example could raise it's minimum wage up to $50 an hour and those select few would come out ahead.

But if you raise it national nothing happens more people are poor

This is something you can never comprehend can you? That's why we say no matter what the national minimum wage is, it's always ground zero

New Zealand national minimum wage $17 an hour .

Unemployment is at its lowest in a decade - at 4.4 per cent in March - but wage growth has stagnated.

So you can get a job, but it might not pay the bills. Sitting between employment rates and wage statistics are the working poor - employed, but doing it hard.

With the political spotlight on poverty, a Government-backed study wants to answer the question: who are the working poor?

1526445528895.jpg

ANDY JACKSON/STUFF
Some families are still struggling to provide for their children, despite being in fulltime work, or having several jobs. (File photo)
Ask Joanna, 49, who has been behind the counter at a major New Zealand retailer for almost 20 years.

Stuff has withheld her last name, and that of her employer, for privacy reasons.

It takes Joanna around 40 hours at $20.40 an hour - $4 above the minimum wage - to earn the week's rent.

Her $550 weekly pay cheque - after tax, KiwiSaver, union fees, and $20 tucked away for Christmas - is practically gone before it's in her hand.

A $70 accommodation supplement from Work and Income helps - it has just gone up from $40 - but it still won't cover the bills.

"I have to reapply for it every three months, which is insulting, I work bloody fulltime."

And it won't feed her two boys, who are at university. They each pay board of $140 a week, which helps put food on the table and keeps the lights on.

"They couldn't afford to pay more, because they're struggling students
That doesnt explain why you say that MW is always zero. What you are doing is taking an economic phenomenon that occurs in cycles and claiming its because of MW being $17/hr. Besides paying for food for someone in college is not a necessity because college is not a necessity. Dont give me a link. Tell me from your understanding why you say MW is always zero.

I didnt say that but I agree. If your minimum wage pays the necessities you dont qualify for welfare.

So you can't read now?

I already told you what I thought about your New Zealand story. It doesnt work because the same thing is occurring in countries without a mandatory MW.

That doesn't make any sense what's so ever.

I thought thats what you meant but I wasnt sure. Anyone that raises their prices gets charged with price gouging and a lengthy prison fine. If you sold a bar of soap for a $1 yesterday you better not raise the price because of MW going up.

Say what?

Where do you live, Cuba?

I say if we are going to institute a MW that people can survive off of then people should go to prison for raising prices just to take advantage.

So you can't read now?

If I was trying to use a story that had nothing to do MW and everything to do with normal economic cycles I would make that claim too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Say what?

Where do you live, Cuba?

Who do you work for MSNBC you fucking think companies can't legally raise prices if the minimum wage goes up?

You are a paid troll arnt you?

Chicago for example could raise it's minimum wage up to $50 an hour and those select few would come out ahead.

"Chicago for example could raise it's minimum wage up to $50 an hour and those select few would come out ahead."

They dont need $50 and hour and there is absolutely no data to suggest that they would all come out ahead. More likely their consumer mindset determined spending habits would increase to fill the gap like most people experience when they get a raise.

Last edited:

So you can't read now?

If I was trying to use a story that had nothing to do MW and everything to do with normal economic cycles I would make that claim too.

Your scared of me now, what normal cycles .

Once again fruit loops new Zealand has a $17 dollar an hour minimum wage

Another story, once again new Zealand has a $17 dollar an hour minimum wage

The Working Poor: In a job, but unable to make ends meet

They’re known as the Working Poor – people who are working hard, often fulltime, yet because of a multitude of factors they aren’t able to make ends meet.

It can be embarrassing and often hard to accept because it means asking for help. It also means making difficult choices.

Once the rent and bills are covered often the only flexible cost left in a family’s budget is food, the amount and its quality.

So for laundry worker and cleaner Bella Walters a trip to the supermarket can be stressful,
she works full time and earns just above the minimum wage.($17 an hour)

She says she wouldn’t survive without financial support from her children. They bought all the furniture in her home and frequently deposit money in her account for petrol.

Bella only puts cheap cuts of meat and a few staples like bread and pasta in her shopping trolley, it’s no frills eating and goes against her doctor’s advice.

As someone suffering from high blood pressure she’s supposed to be eating plenty of fruit and vegetables. So on a weekly basis her budget dictates that her health suffers.

Social Policy researcher Charles Waldegrave says the fundamental problem is high rents and low wages.

He says rent controls should be introduced to limit the amount a property owner can charge for renting a home or apartment. He also questions whether the government is addressing the issue of affordability when it comes to housing.

So you can't read now?

If I was trying to use a story that had nothing to do MW and everything to do with normal economic cycles I would make that claim too.

They’re known as the Working Poor – people who are working hard, often fulltime, yet because of a multitude of factors they aren’t able to make ends meet.

It can be embarrassing and often hard to accept because it means asking for help. It also means making difficult choices.

Once the rent and bills are covered often the only flexible cost left in a family’s budget is food, the amount and its quality.

So for laundry worker and cleaner Bella Walters a trip to the supermarket can be stressful, she works full time and earns just above the minimum wage.

She says she wouldn’t survive without financial support from her children. They bought all the furniture in her home and frequently deposit money in her account for petrol.

Bella only puts cheap cuts of meat and a few staples like bread and pasta in her shopping trolley, it’s no frills eating and goes against her doctor’s advice.

As someone suffering from high blood pressure she’s supposed to be eating plenty of fruit and vegetables. So on a weekly basis her budget dictates that her health suffers.

Social Policy researcher Charles Waldegrave says the fundamental problem is high rents and low wages.

He says rent controls should be introduced to limit the amount a property owner can charge for renting a home or apartment. He also questions whether the government is addressing the issue of affordability when it comes to housing.

See? From your own post. Its not due to MW its due to high rents and low wages. If they implement rent control problem solved like I said.

"Social Policy researcher Charles Waldegrave says the fundamental problem is high rents and low wages.

He says rent controls should be introduced to limit the amount a property owner can charge for renting a home or apartment. He also questions whether the government is addressing the issue of affordability when it comes to housing."

So for laundry worker and cleaner Bella Walters a trip to the supermarket can be stressful, she works full time and earns just above the minimum wage.

See? From your own post. Its not due to MW its due to high rents and low wages. If they implement rent control problem solved like I said.

"Social Policy researcher Charles Waldegrave says the fundamental problem is high rents and low wages.

He says rent controls should be introduced to limit the amount a property owner can charge for renting a home or apartment. He also questions whether the government is addressing the issue of affordability when it comes to housing."

The rents are high vecabec they now have to pay maintenance guys / mail men etc...more money..

The rents are high vecabec they now have to pay maintenance guys / mail men etc...more money..
Nope. Those are tax write offs. There is absolutely no valid reason other than greed. Next excuse. :rolleyes:

"Chicago for example could raise it's minimum wage up to $50 an hour and those select few would come out ahead."

They dont need $50 and hour and there is absolutely no data to suggest that they would all come out ahead. More likely their consumer mindset determined spending habits would increase to fill the gap like most people experience when they get a raise.

What do you mean they wouldn't come out ahead

If I had 50 hostess cup cakes and you just one..

I have more then you..

If we both had 50 hostess cupcakes no one is richer then the other. Because now the price of little Debbie went up.

Nope. Those are tax write offs. There is absolutely no valid reason other than greed. Next excuse. :rolleyes:

So now you know the tax codes of New Zealand?

LMFAO..

What do you mean they wouldn't come out ahead

If I had 50 hostess cup cakes and you just one..

I have more then you..

If we both had 50 hostess cupcakes no one is richer then the other. Because now the price of little Debbie went up.
Youre comparing apples and oranges or (hostess cup cakes and money). If you eat 49 of your cup cakes and I dont we are equal. Just depends on each individuals appetite. (or spending habits) :rolleyes:

LMFAO..

Can you prove me wrong? :rolleyes:

Dude it's always zero no matter what you put the national minimum wage at .

It's always ground zero..

And it's always been racist..to keep minority's from working all around the world..

LMFAO..

Of course I can..

Can you?

LMFAO..

Of course I can..

Can you?
Why would I prove myself wrong? Thats your job. :rolleyes:

Income from rental properties (Rental income)

Forum List

Back