Napolitano top runner for Trump's Supreme Court pick

Naaaaaaaah ---- Napolitano has an op-ed against Trump in the Washington Times this very day, and if he had hope of the USSC, he would hardly do that.

Here's the thing: to suppress all this sort of speculation, Trump announced that the pick would definitely be from his List of 25. Napolitano is not on that. Now, he HAS written fully seven books on the Constitution, and I always like his comments on Fox, but. Trump said only the people on his list, who are all federal judges, and so there we are.

One of the surprising things about Trump is that he doesn't always respond that way...

"Nikki Haley: The former Trump critic considered for cabinet"
Nikki Haley: Trump critic to cabinet?

Well, within four hours of the announcement that Kennedy was retiring, Trump was saying explicitly that he would only choose someone from his previously announced list. I don't think he'd do that if he meant to go another way. I think it was to suppress wild speculations about various Senators and who-all-ever. I think he'll do what he said: he does have a record of doing what he says he'll do.

My post was about Trump, not about Napolitano.

I posted this yesterday:

The full list of the twenty-one individuals Mr. Trump will consider is below:

1. Keith Blackwell

2. Charles Canady

3. Steven Colloton

4. Allison Eid

5. Neil Gorsuch

6. Raymond Gruender

7. Thomas Hardiman

8. Raymond Kethledge

9. Joan Larsen

10. Mike Lee

11. Thomas Lee

12. Edward Mansfield

13. Federico Moreno

14. William Pryor

15. Margaret A. Ryan

16. Amul Thapar

17. Timothy Tymkovich

18. David Stras

19. Diane Sykes

20. Don Willett

21. Robert Young

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-...list-of-potential-supreme-court-justice-picks

I think the list has changed somewhat: Gorsuch is no longer on it, of course, and it's 25 now. I look forward to a more complete bio of each of these judges than I've seen so far, and I bet that will be forthcoming, too. There are definitely themes with various people: Hardiman is pro-gun and law and order; several are antiabortionists and (only IMO) unlikely to be picked, or he'll lose the two women senators and he can't afford to lose their votes. Robert Young looks good but he's black and so has to wait till the black slot opens up, which it may soon --- rumors are flying about Clarence Thomas being ready to retire. He's 68 or 69, which IS retirement age in normal society, after all.

I think Trump will get five picks, not four: The two he has now, plus the Ginsburg seat if Nature has her way, and the Breyer seat, ditto, and the black slot Clarence Thomas has been holding down too long; he hasn't talked for years. The sooner he is replaced with a younger and more able conservative black the better. That was a highly dubious pick from the beginning.

"Clarence Thomas has been holding down too long; he hasn't talked for years. The sooner he is replaced with a younger and more able conservative black the better. That was a highly dubious pick from the beginning."

Can't agree with that analysis...

1. Writes Toobin:

"In several of the most important areas of constitutional law, Thomas has emerged as an intellectual leader of the Supreme Court. Since the arrival of Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr., in 2005, and Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr., in 2006, the Court has moved to the right when it comes to the free-speech rights of corporations, the rights of gun owners, and, potentially, the powers of the federal government; in each of these areas, the majority has followed where Thomas has been leading for a decade or more. Rarely has a Supreme Court Justice enjoyed such broad or significant vindication.

This is one of the most startling reappraisals to appear in The New Yorker for many years. It is hard to think of other revisions as radical as the declownification of Clarence Thomas: Herbert Hoover as the First Keynesian? Henry Kissinger as the Great Humanitarian? Richard Nixon, the most liberal president ever (that one might even be true)?

If Toobin’s revionist take is correct, (and I defer to his knowledge of the direction of modern constitutional thought) it means that liberal America has spent a generation mocking a Black man as an ignorant fool, even as constitutional scholars stand in growing amazement at the intellectual audacity, philosophical coherence and historical reflection embedded in his judicial work.

Toobin is less interested in exploring why liberal America has been so blind for so long to the force of Clarence Thomas’ intellect than in understanding just what Thomas has achieved in his lonely trek across the wastes of Mordor. And what he finds is that Thomas has been pioneering the techniques and the ideas that could not only lead to the court rejecting all or part of President Obama’s health legislation; the ideas and strategies Thomas has developed could conceivably topple the constitutionality of the post New Deal state.

The next topic for Constitutional revisionism is the expansive reading of the commerce clause that the New Deal judges used to justify the Roosevelt administration’s ambitious economic programs. The Obamacare health reform depends on that kind of reading of the commerce clause; the penumbras must stretch pretty far for the Constitution to give Congress the right to require all Americans to buy private health insurance. And if the commerce clause can be stretched this far, one must ask whether there is anything that the Constitution blocks Congress from doing.

If gun control and Obamacare were the only issues at stake in the constitutional debate, liberals would find Thomas annoying but not dangerous. Losing on gun control and health care frustrate and annoy the center left, but those are only two items on a long list of liberal concerns.

The real problem will come if Thomas can figure out how to get the Tenth Amendment back into constitutional thought in a serious way. The Second Amendment was a constitutional landmine for the left; the Tenth is a nuclear bomb.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The standard interpretation is that this merely restates an assumption that undergirds the Constitution as a whole and so has no special meaning or significance in law. If reading the rest of the Constitution leads you to uphold some act or law as constitutional, this amendment would not affect that judgment. Therefore it can be and usually is ignored. That is certainly what we were told to do with it in the hallowed halls of Pundit High.

But there is another view of this amendment. The Constitution of the United States confers specific, “enumerated” powers on the Congress, and many of the things that Congress does today are not listed among those enumerated powers. On his last day in office, President James Madison vetoed what today we would call an infrastructure bill. He thought the bill was a good idea, that the country needed the infrastructure and that the federal government was the right agency to provide it, but believed that the Constitution he had helped write provided no authority for Congress to act in this way. If Congress wanted to support infrastructure in the various states, the right way to proceed was to get an infrastructure amendment into the Constitution. Barring that, nothing could be done.

Taken seriously today, that approach to the Constitution would change the way Washington does business. Radically. The list of enumerated powers is short and does not include, for example, health care, education, agricultural subsidies, assistance to the hungry or old age pensions. Most of the New Deal and Great Society (with the interesting exception of civil rights laws which enforce the Civil War era amendments) would be struck down. Whole cabinet departments would close.

The federal government would not wither away completely; even on a narrow reading of the commerce clause (the clause that places the regulation of interstate commerce among Congress’ enumerated powers), Washington would exercise considerable authority over the national economy. But the balance between the states and the feds would change, and among other things, our federal tax burdens would fall, but the costs of state government would rise.

This is pretty much a Tea Party wish list, and it is why the Tea Party movement is so strongly identified with originalist interpretations of the Constitution. Unleashing the Tenth Amendment would move the constitutional status quo back towards the early 1930s when the “Nine Old Men” struck down one New Deal law after another. For Toobin and most New Yorker readers, it is hard to imagine an idea that more radically and totally runs against everything they believe.

That Justice Thomas’ wife Virginia is a prominent speaker and organizer in the Tea Party completes the picture: the Thomas’ are the anti-Clintons, the power couple out to dismantle the progressive American state. The specter Toobin’s piece conjures is of Clarence and Virginia, like Frodo and Sam, quietly toiling towards Mount Doom while liberal attention is fixed elsewhere."
http://blogs.the-american-interest....omas-and-the-amendment-of-doom/#ixzz1WXKBUI2I

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/29/110829fa_fact_toobin

I read the Toobin analysis, but I don't believe it. That early stuff with the .......#MeToo business with Hill turned me off this character forever. Then he married a white woman, or she married him more likely, and he hasn't talked in the Court (or elsewhere?) for YEARS. I think he said a few words last year and everyone was amazed, as if a zebra had spoken.

I assume that his clerks have been writing his decisions for many years and that Thomas is mentally compromised. There are several Thomas clerks (all white males) on Trump's USSC list, and I suspect that's because they've been holding the fort for a very long time.

The sooner Thomas is retired and replaced by a decent conservative black, the happier I will be. Thomas' appointment always beschmirched the U.S. Supreme Court, IMO, and the whole thing was and has been just ugly.

I read the Toobin analysis, but I don't believe it. That early stuff with the .......#MeToo business with Hill turned me off this character forever. Then he married a white woman, or she married him more likely, and he hasn't talked in the Court (or elsewhere?) for YEARS. I think he said a few words last year and everyone was amazed, as if a zebra had spoken.

I assume that his clerks have been writing his decisions for many years and that Thomas is mentally compromised. There are several Thomas clerks (all white males) on Trump's USSC list, and I suspect that's because they've been holding the fort for a very long time.

The sooner Thomas is retired and replaced by a decent conservative black, the happier I will be. Thomas' appointment always beschmirched the U.S. Supreme Court, IMO, and the whole thing was and has been just ugly.

I don't know why you'd think Toobin was lying....

See if you can find anything more conservative than this:

WSJ 10/20/08 The following is an excerpt from Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas's Wriston Lecture to the Manhattan Institute last Thursday:

"…consent of the people.

To do this, they limited its powers. The national government was to be strong enough to protect us from each other and from foreign enemies, but not so strong as to tyrannize us. So, the framers structured the Constitution to limit the powers of the national government. Its powers were specifically enumerated; it was divided into three co-equal branches; and the powers not given to the national government remained with the states and the people. The relationship between the two political branches (the executive and the legislative) was to be somewhat contentious providing checks and balances, while frequent elections would assure some measure of accountability. And, the often divergent interests of the states and the national government provided further protection of liberty behind the shield of federalism. The third branch, and least dangerous branch, was not similarly constrained or hobbled.

Since Marbury v. Madison the federal judiciary has assumed the role of the interpreter and, now, final arbiter of our Constitution. But, what rules must judges follow in doing so? What informs, guides and limits our interpretation of the admittedly broad provisions of the Constitution? And, more directly, what restrains us from imposing our personal views and policy preferences on our fellow citizens under the guise of Constitutional interpretation?

As important as our Constitution is, there is no one accepted way of interpreting it. Indeed, for some commentators, it seems that if they like or prefer a particular policy or conduct, then it must be constitutional; while the policies that they do not prefer or like are unconstitutional. Obviously, this approach cannot be right. But, it certainly is at the center of the process of selecting judges. It goes something like this. If a judge does not think that abortion is best as a matter of policy or personal opinion, then the thought is that he or she will find it unconstitutional; while the judge who thinks it is good policy will find it constitutional. Those who think this way often seem to believe that since this is the way they themselves think, everyone must be doing the same thing. In this sense, legal realism morphs into legal cynicism. Certainly this is no way to run a railroad, not to mention interpret the Constitution. . . .

Let me put it this way; there are really only two ways to interpret the Constitution -- try to discern as best we can what the framers intended or make it up. No matter how ingenious, imaginative or artfully put, unless interpretive methodologies are tied to the original intent of the framers, they have no more basis in the Constitution than the latest football scores. To be sure, even the most conscientious effort to adhere to the original intent of the framers of our Constitution is flawed, as all methodologies and human institutions are; but at least originalism has the advantage of being legitimate and, I might add, impartial."

It nearly brings a tear to my eye....

Bork would have been better, IMO.

I am enamored with Bork....

One of the books I recommend to all who want to understand America and American politics...

51ZQq-E2rtL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I don't know why you'd think Toobin was lying....

Oh, not lying --- I just have a separate reality. I know a lot of you guys really like Clarence Thomas and that's fine with me. It does worry me that Thomas doesn't speak (at least in court) --- and of course, you can't expect any woman to like Thomas after that horrible business with Anita Hill. Yes, I know a lot of conservative men don't believe a word of that, but you can't expect conservative women to be carbon copies of you guys, after all. We have different issues. It all sounded real, real typical of some of the grosser harassment women got in those days and I believed every word of it and I was conservative then. But foul sex stuff is foul sex stuff and I'm not expected to admire that. I don't like Thomas at all and I'd like to see him replaced by a younger black conservative. A decent one sexually would be nice. I may get that soon, rumor says, but rumor may not know much.

It's the same deal as with Bill Clinton. The country did well during his administration, but then there was Monica ----- and all the others. That doesn't work for me, that's all.

Exclusive Report: Napolitano Top Front-Runner For Trump’s Supreme Court Pick

Andrew Napolitano is a top front-runner for President Trump’s next Supreme Court pick, multiple sources have told Infowars.

Told yah infowars knew who one of the picks were going to be bhaahahah.
Strange. This morning he was saying he wasn't on the list (he isn't) and that he hadn't been contacted, though it did sound like he wanted to be nominated.

We'll know who it is once he picks him or her.

Nah. Too old anyways...I think Trump wants someone that will be there for 30 to 40 years...so someone in their late 30's or 40's.

Naaaaaaaah ---- Napolitano has an op-ed against Trump in the Washington Times this very day, and if he had hope of the USSC, he would hardly do that.

Here's the thing: to suppress all this sort of speculation, Trump announced that the pick would definitely be from his List of 25. Napolitano is not on that. Now, he HAS written fully seven books on the Constitution, and I always like his comments on Fox, but. Trump said only the people on his list, who are all federal judges, and so there we are.

One of the surprising things about Trump is that he doesn't always respond that way...

"Nikki Haley: The former Trump critic considered for cabinet"
Nikki Haley: Trump critic to cabinet?

Well, within four hours of the announcement that Kennedy was retiring, Trump was saying explicitly that he would only choose someone from his previously announced list. I don't think he'd do that if he meant to go another way. I think it was to suppress wild speculations about various Senators and who-all-ever. I think he'll do what he said: he does have a record of doing what he says he'll do.

My post was about Trump, not about Napolitano.

I posted this yesterday:

The full list of the twenty-one individuals Mr. Trump will consider is below:

1. Keith Blackwell

2. Charles Canady

3. Steven Colloton

4. Allison Eid

5. Neil Gorsuch

6. Raymond Gruender

7. Thomas Hardiman

8. Raymond Kethledge

9. Joan Larsen

10. Mike Lee

11. Thomas Lee

12. Edward Mansfield

13. Federico Moreno

14. William Pryor

15. Margaret A. Ryan

16. Amul Thapar

17. Timothy Tymkovich

18. David Stras

19. Diane Sykes

20. Don Willett

21. Robert Young

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-...list-of-potential-supreme-court-justice-picks

I think the list has changed somewhat: Gorsuch is no longer on it, of course, and it's 25 now. I look forward to a more complete bio of each of these judges than I've seen so far, and I bet that will be forthcoming, too. There are definitely themes with various people: Hardiman is pro-gun and law and order; several are antiabortionists and (only IMO) unlikely to be picked, or he'll lose the two women senators and he can't afford to lose their votes. Robert Young looks good but he's black and so has to wait till the black slot opens up, which it may soon --- rumors are flying about Clarence Thomas being ready to retire. He's 68 or 69, which IS retirement age in normal society, after all.

I think Trump will get five picks, not four: The two he has now, plus the Ginsburg seat if Nature has her way, and the Breyer seat, ditto, and the black slot Clarence Thomas has been holding down too long; he hasn't talked for years. The sooner he is replaced with a younger and more able conservative black the better. That was a highly dubious pick from the beginning.

"Clarence Thomas has been holding down too long; he hasn't talked for years. The sooner he is replaced with a younger and more able conservative black the better. That was a highly dubious pick from the beginning."

Can't agree with that analysis...

1. Writes Toobin:

"In several of the most important areas of constitutional law, Thomas has emerged as an intellectual leader of the Supreme Court. Since the arrival of Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr., in 2005, and Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr., in 2006, the Court has moved to the right when it comes to the free-speech rights of corporations, the rights of gun owners, and, potentially, the powers of the federal government; in each of these areas, the majority has followed where Thomas has been leading for a decade or more. Rarely has a Supreme Court Justice enjoyed such broad or significant vindication.

This is one of the most startling reappraisals to appear in The New Yorker for many years. It is hard to think of other revisions as radical as the declownification of Clarence Thomas: Herbert Hoover as the First Keynesian? Henry Kissinger as the Great Humanitarian? Richard Nixon, the most liberal president ever (that one might even be true)?

If Toobin’s revionist take is correct, (and I defer to his knowledge of the direction of modern constitutional thought) it means that liberal America has spent a generation mocking a Black man as an ignorant fool, even as constitutional scholars stand in growing amazement at the intellectual audacity, philosophical coherence and historical reflection embedded in his judicial work.

Toobin is less interested in exploring why liberal America has been so blind for so long to the force of Clarence Thomas’ intellect than in understanding just what Thomas has achieved in his lonely trek across the wastes of Mordor. And what he finds is that Thomas has been pioneering the techniques and the ideas that could not only lead to the court rejecting all or part of President Obama’s health legislation; the ideas and strategies Thomas has developed could conceivably topple the constitutionality of the post New Deal state.

The next topic for Constitutional revisionism is the expansive reading of the commerce clause that the New Deal judges used to justify the Roosevelt administration’s ambitious economic programs. The Obamacare health reform depends on that kind of reading of the commerce clause; the penumbras must stretch pretty far for the Constitution to give Congress the right to require all Americans to buy private health insurance. And if the commerce clause can be stretched this far, one must ask whether there is anything that the Constitution blocks Congress from doing.

If gun control and Obamacare were the only issues at stake in the constitutional debate, liberals would find Thomas annoying but not dangerous. Losing on gun control and health care frustrate and annoy the center left, but those are only two items on a long list of liberal concerns.

The real problem will come if Thomas can figure out how to get the Tenth Amendment back into constitutional thought in a serious way. The Second Amendment was a constitutional landmine for the left; the Tenth is a nuclear bomb.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The standard interpretation is that this merely restates an assumption that undergirds the Constitution as a whole and so has no special meaning or significance in law. If reading the rest of the Constitution leads you to uphold some act or law as constitutional, this amendment would not affect that judgment. Therefore it can be and usually is ignored. That is certainly what we were told to do with it in the hallowed halls of Pundit High.

But there is another view of this amendment. The Constitution of the United States confers specific, “enumerated” powers on the Congress, and many of the things that Congress does today are not listed among those enumerated powers. On his last day in office, President James Madison vetoed what today we would call an infrastructure bill. He thought the bill was a good idea, that the country needed the infrastructure and that the federal government was the right agency to provide it, but believed that the Constitution he had helped write provided no authority for Congress to act in this way. If Congress wanted to support infrastructure in the various states, the right way to proceed was to get an infrastructure amendment into the Constitution. Barring that, nothing could be done.

Taken seriously today, that approach to the Constitution would change the way Washington does business. Radically. The list of enumerated powers is short and does not include, for example, health care, education, agricultural subsidies, assistance to the hungry or old age pensions. Most of the New Deal and Great Society (with the interesting exception of civil rights laws which enforce the Civil War era amendments) would be struck down. Whole cabinet departments would close.

The federal government would not wither away completely; even on a narrow reading of the commerce clause (the clause that places the regulation of interstate commerce among Congress’ enumerated powers), Washington would exercise considerable authority over the national economy. But the balance between the states and the feds would change, and among other things, our federal tax burdens would fall, but the costs of state government would rise.

This is pretty much a Tea Party wish list, and it is why the Tea Party movement is so strongly identified with originalist interpretations of the Constitution. Unleashing the Tenth Amendment would move the constitutional status quo back towards the early 1930s when the “Nine Old Men” struck down one New Deal law after another. For Toobin and most New Yorker readers, it is hard to imagine an idea that more radically and totally runs against everything they believe.

That Justice Thomas’ wife Virginia is a prominent speaker and organizer in the Tea Party completes the picture: the Thomas’ are the anti-Clintons, the power couple out to dismantle the progressive American state. The specter Toobin’s piece conjures is of Clarence and Virginia, like Frodo and Sam, quietly toiling towards Mount Doom while liberal attention is fixed elsewhere."
http://blogs.the-american-interest....omas-and-the-amendment-of-doom/#ixzz1WXKBUI2I

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/29/110829fa_fact_toobin

Thank for that information.

Forum List

Back