Nelson Mandela dead

Excellent article here on the Constitution Mandela signed:
In 2012, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg made the impolitic suggestion that “I would not look to the U.S. Constitution, if I were drafting a Constitution in the year 2012,” instead pointing foreign constitution drafters to the constitution the late South African leader Nelson Mandela signed in 1996. Her statement received the predictable response from many conservative voices. One publication called for her to resign.

The truth, however, is that the United States could learn a great deal from South Africa’s constitution. As Ginsburg noted, that constitution was drafted much more recently than America’s 226 year-old founding text. Accordingly, its drafters benefited from more than two centuries of human experience that our founding fathers did not have. Ginsburg in no way impugned the genius of George Washington, James Madison or Alexander Hamilton when she suggested that these men could not possibility have known the things that we know today — and that nations drafting new constitutions should benefit from the full range of human experience.

The South African Constitution begins with an absolutely breathtaking first passage: “We, the people of South Africa, Recognise the injustices of our past.” This is not just a document drafted by men dissatisfied by their lack of representation in a distant central government. Rather, this the constitution of a nation that is profoundly aware of how governments can go wrong — and why the inherent human rights of every individual must be honored to ward off atrocity.
The South African Constitution, by contrast, devotes 32 different articles to individual rights before it even mentions the structure of government. While America’s founders were primarily worried about how lawmakers would be selected and what powers they would and would not have, South Africa’s Constitution begins with a statement of human rights. It’s drafters wanted first and foremost to ensure that nothing like apartheid would ever exist again.

Read the rest here: What Americans Can Learn From The Constitution Nelson Mandela Signed | ThinkProgress

The USSR had a constitution guaranteeing freedom of speech at the time millions were murdered because they criticised communism.

S Africa has this marvellous constitution but lives under the monster President Jacob Zuma and his rotten, corrupt ANC.

Unimplemented constitutions are just worthless scraps of paper, good only to impress gullible foreigners.

Conflating brutal oppression with corruption is a very weak position to stand on.

Whenever I see someone insulting a person like Mandela, or yes - Obama. Not that they're on the same playing field BUT look what they have each accomplished in their lives. And you're going to sit there and claim that either they didn't do shit or worse, they did damage?

What have YOU done? Seriously. Tell me where you have room to talk, because you have accomplished such great things in your life.

Or, you know. Just STFU.

From very humble backgrounds both Stalin and Hitler accomplished great things, reached the top in their respective countries. But do you know what? I prefer every poster here to either of them.

Godwin's Law destroys what few shreds of credibility Peterf had left.

Prove me wrong PLEASE DO SO. Before you try I suggest you that you have your shit together. and don't say other have, because they haven't
Mandela was a communist. Prove that it's incorrect.

67157787d1386414105-south-africas-nelson-mandela-dies-johannesburg-w102-atrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.jpg

Those were the days, eh?

Apartheid would still be alive and well in South Africa if it weren't for the sacrifices Mandela made by speaking out and therefore going to prison thereby thawing the hearts of the most fanatic in SA.

Ok, you're kidding now, right?

Did you skip history in high school? Did you finish high school?

That is the way it went down, since I followed that news very carefully back then.

You followed a simplified, Disney version of reality back then? :rolleyes:

Heads up junior, I've taught more History than you will ever study.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XC3ahd6Di3M]U2 - Ordinary Love (From Mandela OST) Lyric Video - YouTube[/ame]

I mean it when I say you are hilarious, TOUGH GUY. :lol: But really, start a new thread for this.

I look after the well being of posters here when I say, flame elsewhere! This is a tribute thread to Nelson Mandela! This is not a tribute to vanity!

;)

Well I'll be blowed! I thought it was a thread examining Mr Mandela's place in history. You mean only posts - 'tributes' - full of mindless Mandela worship are allowed here?

No, unsubstantiated comments are not allowed here. Your unmitigated hatred for him is unbased. You and your friends have yet to prove one shred of evidence showing that Mandela was a flaming Marxist/Communist. You make your statements out of sheer ignorance and lack of information. Who said we were 'worshiping' anyone? He was a great man, very similar to Ronald Reagan in his beginnings as a politician.

Geez, it makes me ashamed to sit on the conservative side of the aisle and watch people like you make ill advised comments about people you've never researched, liberals do the same damned thing. Perhaps you could stop embarrassing yourself as well. Get it to-freaking-gether. Of all the people in the world, I'd figure, you, bigreb and other conservatives would admire his struggle for freedom, but here you are trashing his legacy. Unacceptable.

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BGS7SpI7obY]Johnny Clegg (With Nelson Mandela) - Asimbonanga - 1999 Fran - YouTube[/ame]

From very humble backgrounds both Stalin and Hitler accomplished great things, reached the top in their respective countries. But do you know what? I prefer every poster here to either of them.

Prove me wrong PLEASE DO SO. Before you try I suggest you that you have your shit together. and don't say other have, because they haven't

If you knew anything at all about Mandela, and you obviously don't, you would know that he was fighting for freedom and democracy. The ANC alliance with the communists was one of convenience. If America had chosen to side with freedom and democracy instead of the brutal racist Apartheid regime the ANC would have never needed to form any alliance with the communists. But the ANC didn't have any choice in the matter. US foreign policy forced the ANC to become allied with the communists. To his credit Bush Sr was one of the first to extend the hand of friendship to Mandela after he became president. Something that would never have happened if, as you so erroneously allege, he was a "communist".

If you knew anything at all about Mandela, and you obviously don't, you would know that he was fighting for freedom and democracy. The ANC alliance with the communists was one of convenience. If America had chosen to side with freedom and democracy instead of the brutal racist Apartheid regime the ANC would have never needed to form any alliance with the communists. But the ANC didn't have any choice in the matter. US foreign policy forced the ANC to become allied with the communists. To his credit Bush Sr was one of the first to extend the hand of friendship to Mandela after he became president. Something that would never have happened if, as you so erroneously allege, he was a "communist".

You're failing
Nelson Mandela`s Address to a rally in Cape Town on his release from prison

11 February 1990

I salute the South African Communist Party for its sterling contribution to the struggle for democracy. You have survived 40 years of unrelenting persecution. The memory of great communists like Moses Kotane, Yusuf Dadoo, Bram Fischer and Moses Mabhida will be cherished for generations to come.

I salute General Secretary Joe Slovo, one of our finest patriots. We are heartened by the fact that the alliance between ourselves and the Party remains as strong as it always was.
http://www.anc.org.za/show.php?id=4520
Now who is Joe Slovo?
Message by Joe Slovo, General Secretary of the South African Communist Party, to the Soweto rally for the released ANC leaders

29 October 1989

Comrades, in crucial months ahead we shall be greatly strengthened by the presence of our released leaders in our midst. Together let us spare no effort in the struggle to release our comrade Nelson Mandela, and all other political prisoners.

http://www.anc.org.za/show.php?id=7134

Last edited:

You're failing

11 February 1990

I salute the South African Communist Party for its sterling contribution to the struggle for democracy. You have survived 40 years of unrelenting persecution. The memory of great communists like Moses Kotane, Yusuf Dadoo, Bram Fischer and Moses Mabhida will be cherished for generations to come.

I salute General Secretary Joe Slovo, one of our finest patriots. We are heartened by the fact that the alliance between ourselves and the Party remains as strong as it always was.

Now who is Joe Slovo?
Message by Joe Slovo, General Secretary of the South African Communist Party, to the Soweto rally for the released ANC leaders

29 October 1989

Comrades, in crucial months ahead we shall be greatly strengthened by the presence of our released leaders in our midst. Together let us spare no effort in the struggle to release our comrade Nelson Mandela, and all other political prisoners.

So what about that makes HIM a Communist? I could attend a Communist rally out of curiosity, I could invite friends to come along who are also curious, but if we leave and don't apply what we saw there--does that still make us Communists? A mere record of his participation does not prove he was a Communist.

:eusa_whistle:

You're failing

11 February 1990

Now who is Joe Slovo?

29 October 1989

So what about that makes HIM a Communist? I could attend a Communist rally out of curiosity, I could invite friends to come along who are also curious, but if we leave and don't apply what we saw there--does that still make us Communists? A mere record of his participation does not prove he was a Communist.

I told you that it's ok you think some communist are good
Do not make me repeat that. You aren't going to like what I have to say.

I would salute the Communist party too, if it were the only major power in the world that bothered to help me free my people. Should I be vilified for doing what is necessary to attain that goal?

You're failing

11 February 1990

Now who is Joe Slovo?

29 October 1989

I told you that it's ok you think some communist are good
Do not make me repeat that. You aren't going to like what I have to say.

I already don't like what you have to say. You are hellbent on trashing a good man. Try me.

Forum List

Back