New Shale Formation in West Texas could Dwarf the Bakken

Every couple of years, these shale stories make the rounds. The people pumping out these stories are shilling for investment scams. They get stories like this posted on the internet so they can link to them in their scam newsletters to their victims to make their investment scheme sound legitimate.

Shale is notoriously expensive to extract and process. This is not conventional oil.

The price of conventional oil would have to top $100 a barrel and remain there for an extended period of time (years) to even begin to make shale oil a viable economic proposition. That's why you will not find a single operating shale oil well anywhere.

Don't be suckered into these investment scams.

This is the oil frauds' version of one of those Nigerian emails.

The boom in North Dakota seems pretty real. The boom towns in the western part of the state are growing in population faster than they can keep up with infrastructure wise. People are living in RVs, automobiles, and sharing studio apartments in order to work there.

Doesn't sound like a scam to me.

You are confusing oil shale extraction with natural gas fracking.

Those are totally separate.

There is no oil shale drilling going on in the US.

Worldwide, there are only about 15,000 barrels of shale oil being extracted each day. Compare that to the 20 million barrels of conventional oil the US consumes each day.

Last edited:
Unreal, isn't it?

What is it with some people's insistence that we continue to churn out crap and pollute the air we breathe? These people also enjoy shitting in their backyards.

Do they even go outside?

You ever been on a drilling rig? Or do you get all your info from the enviro weenies? Show me an alternative to oil that will economically keep a 747 in the air, then we can talk.
Strawman bullshit argument.

No one has even suggested that we should outlaw oil, or convert every oil consuming industry to alternative energy.

But if the demand for oil went way down, wouldn't the cost of airline flights also go way down?

By Charles Kennedy
January 30, 2013

The US shale boom has led some to predict that it will overtake Saudi Arabia as world’s largest oil and gas producer by 2020, thanks to the massive reserves found in plays such as the Bakken Shale of North Dakota, the Marcellus Shale in New York, and the Eagle Ford Shale in Texas; even the newly discovered Tuscaloosa Shale formation in Louisiana holds large potential.

However there is a new shale formation that has been discovered in West Texas which could dwarf all others being drilled in the US at the moment.

The play is known as the Cline Shale play and has been discovered in the Permian Basin.

John Breyer a geologist at Marathon Oil Corp.(NYES: MRO) said that this new discovery could dwarf anything that exists in North Dakota...

***snip***

Continue reading: -->
New Shale Formation in West Texas could Dwarf the Bakken

Every couple of years, these shale stories make the rounds. The people pumping out these stories are shilling for investment scams. They get stories like this posted on the internet so they can link to them in their scam newsletters to their victims to make their investment scheme sound legitimate.

Shale is notoriously expensive to extract and process. This is not conventional oil.

The price of conventional oil would have to top $100 a barrel and remain there for an extended period of time (years) to even begin to make shale oil a viable economic proposition. That's why you will not find a single operating shale oil well anywhere.

The costs to extract oil in shale have dropped significantly due to fracturing, hence the booms nationwide. There are hundreds that are producing in the permian basin.

Those are conventional oil wells in the Permian Basin, not shale oil. Conventional oil has been coming out of there since the 20s.

Last edited:
Anyway, I said my piece. If any of you want to opt out of Social Security and invest in shale oil wells, go right ahead. :lol:

Great! Another excuse not to move forward to modern, clean energy and away from antiques like the reciprocating piston engine.

Unreal, isn't it?

What is it with some people's insistence that we continue to churn out crap and pollute the air we breathe? These people also enjoy shitting in their backyards.

Yeah.. going after oil means that all research into finding alternative VIABLE sources of energy stops :rolleyes:

Republicans are for dirty air, polluted water, etc... just like business is :rolleyes:

You people are as ridiculous as they come

Great! Another excuse not to move forward to modern, clean energy and away from antiques like the reciprocating piston engine.

Your "modern, clean energy" has a cost about 10X what our current supplies cost, and the government subsidies amount to nothing more than ANOTHER tax on the less than 50% who PAY taxes.

Whatever works for the big guys is what is made to seem what works.

figure: in a recent year, EXXON made a net profit of $1400.00...

...per second.

Yet their profit margin is not high... it is on volume where the oil companies can make huge profits, AFTER HUGE INVESTMENTS

Good. Who gives a shit if Texas has earthquakes.

Not much to lose in texas from a polluted water table either.

The water table occurs around 1500 feet. Casing is run through that area. The lateral is fractured at a measured depth of around 10,000 feet. Propagation from fracturing extends out 600 feet. There is no migration of any gases to the water table.

So all underground strata are just alike everywhere?

Sheesh.

The costs to extract oil in shale have dropped significantly due to fracturing, hence the booms nationwide. There are hundreds that are producing in the permian basin.

Those are conventional oil wells in the Permian Basin, not shale oil. Conventional oil has been coming out of there since the 20s.

33 wells in the cline formation have been completed by one operator, 2-5 percent TOC. These aren't conventional.

Modern green energy, heh, we all know it's been one failure after another.

That kind of pessimist mentality is why you belong to the Republican party.

If everyone on Earth felt that way, we'd still be living in caves.

LOL, no I do not belong to the republican party. Shouldn't you be off getting your shit packed?

LOL your lame deflection attempt doesn't change the fact that your pessimist mentality does nothing to advance innovation. That's okay, we'll fix the world around you while you wallow in your status quo.

Not much to lose in texas from a polluted water table either.

The water table occurs around 1500 feet. Casing is run through that area. The lateral is fractured at a measured depth of around 10,000 feet. Propagation from fracturing extends out 600 feet. There is no migration of any gases to the water table.

Sheesh.

No, I was referring to the lithology in the Eagle Ford, Cline, Permian Basin in Texas. The laterals are being completed at a MD of 10,000 feet....approx 8500 below the water table.

Sheesh.

No, I was referring to the lithology in the Eagle Ford, Cline, Permian Basin in Texas. The laterals are being completed at a MD of 10,000 feet....approx 8500 below the water table.

Umm does one not have to go thru the water table to get to the 10,000 ft level?
And the well is cased all the way to the 10,000 ft level?

$6 billion a year for ethanol, what a GREAT idea! NOT!

Give away money for a product that degrades motors while taking staple foodstuffs off the market.

Government subsidies and tax credits have NEVER caused the discovery or exploitation of a viable energy resource.

Private enterprise has done that since the first human cut down the first tree!!

Since when is algae a food staple? Is that what you eat at night?

Biofuel from Algae Hits California Pumps | Biofuels | ReWire | KCET

And when it stops costing 4X the amount of jet fuel, it will be great...

When a company can make it profitable, efficient, and easily renewable... believe me, they will embrace the crap out of it... if it is just a pipe dream, like it is now, companies will indeed stay away from it, and rightfully so

Unreal, isn't it?

Yeah.. going after oil means that all research into finding alternative VIABLE sources of energy stops :rolleyes:

Republicans are for dirty air, polluted water, etc... just like business is :rolleyes:

They do have that reputation.

Why do you suppose that is?

Sheesh.

Umm does one not have to go thru the water table to get to the 10,000 ft level?
And the well is cased all the way to the 10,000 ft level?

Sure but production stops and casing is run through the water table, state law...as it should be, before drilling resumes. Most people don't understand this hence oil, natural gas is the boogeyman.

That kind of pessimist mentality is why you belong to the Republican party.

If everyone on Earth felt that way, we'd still be living in caves.

LOL, no I do not belong to the republican party. Shouldn't you be off getting your shit packed?

LOL your lame deflection attempt doesn't change the fact that your pessimist mentality does nothing to advance innovation. That's okay, we'll fix the world around you while you wallow in your status quo.

LOL, Which of course is nothing like your lame deflection concerning the party that you love to hate. You don't need to fix a damn thing for me other then this obmanation of an economy I'm doing just fine. I can still afford to fill up three trucks a week so don't worry about fixing anything that's not broken just for me. Maybe 25 years down the road you guys might make something that works but for now drill baby drill!

$6 billion a year for ethanol, what a GREAT idea! NOT!

Give away money for a product that degrades motors while taking staple foodstuffs off the market.

Government subsidies and tax credits have NEVER caused the discovery or exploitation of a viable energy resource.

Private enterprise has done that since the first human cut down the first tree!!

When a company can make it profitable, efficient, and easily renewable... believe me, they will embrace the crap out of it... if it is just a pipe dream, like it is now, companies will indeed stay away from it, and rightfully so
Is today your first day in the real world?

Show me any product ever made which didn't cost 4X the amount of anything when it is first produced?

As more companies jump in, more research and innovation, technologies improve, costs go down. Not the other way around.

Is today your first day in the real world?

Show me any product ever made which didn't cost 4X the amount of anything when it is first produced?

As more companies jump in, more research and innovation, technologies improve, costs go down. Not the other way around.

And did I say I am against the research into it (funded by companies)? Did I say that companies that are into biofuels won't find a way to reduce costs??

nope.. I said that when it can be made profitable, etc, that companies will flock to it.... but for now IT IS NOT VIABLE... but nice try, enviro-nazi

33 wells in the cline formation have been completed by one operator, 2-5 percent TOC. These aren't conventional.

Those are exploratory. And they look like gas wells to me.

Laredo Petroleum, still in the early stage of development, has completed 33 gross horizontal Cline Shale wells, more than any other operator exploring the play.

Show me an actual producer. How many barrels of oil per day. With links.

Don't fall for the scam web sites created to fool newsletter readers.

Unreal, isn't it?

They do have that reputation.

Why do you suppose that is?

Because of lame brained leftist enviro-nazis like yourself who like to make shit up, throw shit against the wall, and see if they can make it stick so you can point at it for people to look at....

Forum List

Back