New York governor inching closer to legalizing prostitution

Seems the mayor is tying to move it to a nicer part of town,,,

Did you see the part about people not wanting it there? Why would the residents be furious? They should have seen the benefits of legal prostitution by now.

NIMBY is a common thing all around the world.
They why did you bother mentioning it?

Legalized prostitution can do nothing more than exist side by side with illegal prostitution. The same cops will be chasing the same girls. This time for permits, licenses and inspections. The IRS will have the a new division to chase college girls for avoiding income tax.

Meanwhile the worst human rights abuses will continue. Pimps will still supply children, still provide a woman to beat to death to someone with the cash to afford it.
Nothing will change.

If you had bothered to READ the full article.

“The likely negative consequences of legalised prostitution on a country’s inflows of human trafficking might be seen to support those who argue in favour of banning prostitution, thereby reducing the flows of trafficking,” the researchers state. “However, such a line of argumentation overlooks potential benefits that the legalisation of prostitution might have on those employed in the industry. Working conditions could be substantially improved for prostitutes — at least those legally employed — if prostitution is legalised. Prohibiting prostitution also raises tricky ‘freedom of choice’ issues concerning both the potential suppliers and clients of prostitution services.”

So, yes, countries that legalize prostitution are more likely to attract prostitutes because - wait for it - they'll get better pay and more protections!
I read it, but I see you gloss over it's primary message of horrendous consequences for women and girls, because you just don't care.

You really are the CLASSIC liberal pimp of pain, destruction and misery. (I assume you support the USG-caused slaughter in Ukraine as well?)

You don't care who is harmed as long as you get what you want.

Kidnapping, rape, imprisonment and murder of women and girls a small price to pay for your convenience & good feels.

And I get that you're in a cult, so no amount of common sense and decency will dissuade you - I've interacted with pot pimps previously, and you're relentless.

They why did you bother mentioning it?

Legalized prostitution can do nothing more than exist side by side with illegal prostitution. The same cops will be chasing the same girls. This time for permits, licenses and inspections. The IRS will have the a new division to chase college girls for avoiding income tax.

Meanwhile the worst human rights abuses will continue. Pimps will still supply children, still provide a woman to beat to death to someone with the cash to afford it.
Nothing will change.

The same basic argument was used to try and keep Prohibition in place.

How did that turn out?

I don't smoke pot. I do drink alcohol, although nowhere near what I used to drink when I was in the service 30 years ago!

The thing is, Pot and Prostitution are victimless crimes. We cause more problems prohibiting them.

Not an issue of conscience. Some women are going to be prostitutes because that's their personality... period.

I was trying to find a source that comported to your limited intelligence..

I read it when the first idiot posted it... I actually bothered to read it to the end, though, which you failed to do.
^ Relentless cult raving.

Liberals who support this do not care how many women and girls are kidnapped, raped, imprisoned and murdered, period.

How did that turn out?
Women and girls aren't bottles of beer.

I do get that liberals don't care who is harmed, however, and that logic and decency are wasted in argument.

I don't smoke pot. I do drink alcohol, although nowhere near what I used to drink when I was in the service 30 years ago!

The thing is, Pot and Prostitution are victimless crimes. We cause more problems prohibiting them.

Not an issue of conscience. Some women are going to be prostitutes because that's their personality... period.

I was trying to find a source that comported to your limited intelligence..

I read it when the first idiot posted it... I actually bothered to read it to the end, though, which you failed to do.
I do not believe in prohibiting prostitution as much as containing it. There are people who believe like you with pot, however there are those who say its leads to other drugs. I lean towards decriminalizing it up to certain amounts over legalizing it.

Well, since you want to cite the NYT.

In legal brothels, employees report that they feel safe, are free to come and go, and are bound only by their contract. Of the brothel workers we surveyed, 84 per cent said that their job felt safe. Workers report that they felt safe largely because the police, employers and co-workers were there to protect them.

With concern growing about sex trafficking, the conclusions of our research are striking. Nevada’s model is worth considering, but there are plenty of models of legal prostitution throughout the world to draw from, and lots of research on these systems. Indeed it was this research that convinced a Canadian judge to overturn that country’s laws criminalizing prostitution. As hard as it may be with something this controversial, perhaps as a matter of good public policy, it is time we pay attention to the evidence and rethink our approach to this age-old profession.

Women who work legally enjoy huge benefits: better access to health care, protection from violent customers and protection from exploitation. Antwerp has apparently one of the best bordellos in Europe, equipped with its own police station and high tech sensors.

If prostitution is legalized, society gains income tax revenue that would have been otherwise lost.
Granted, legalizing the profession might make it attractive for sex traffickers but the benefits outweigh this prospect.
You of course ignore the prison-like brothels that exist in the shadows of those you cite.

Because you do. not. care.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul will make $1 million in public funds available to provide health care to sex workers over a span of two years. The money provides funding to two organizations for primary and sexual care, and even dental care, to potential prostitutes.

One of the benefiting organizations, Callen-Lorde, has described itself as one of the "global leaders in LGBTQ+ health care."

On its website, the organization endorses the decriminalization of prostitution: “Callen-Lorde firmly and without reservation supports the health, rights, and dignity of sex workers. We are opposed to laws that disproportionately regulate and criminalize bodily autonomy, sexuality and sexual and reproductive health and rights. We support the total decriminalization of sex work as an important step to protect and respect the human rights of all sex workers,” the website stated.

The organization also celebrated June 2023 legislation signed by Hochul to declare New York state a sanctuary for those who have illegally given children sex-change drugs, hormones, or surgeries.

So once again democrats have taken it upon themselves to make things that are illegal legitimate, like illegal immigration. It is a repetitive behavior of not liking a law and simply ignoring the law whether the law is against prostitution or gender reassignment for children or illegal immigration, etc.

Does this mean that New York will no longer have an issue with Trump paying the sex worker Stormy Daniels all that money to keep quiet about her sex acts?

I'm guessing not. Again, picking and choosing laws you hate and like, all based on political whims is what the democrat party is all about. Sure, you will go to jail for not paying taxes and lying on gun registration forms EXCEPT..............if your last name is Biden.

Well the sex workers, trafficked children and drugs need to keep funding the DNC, right?

Women and girls aren't bottles of beer.

I do get that liberals don't care who is harmed, however, and that logic and decency are wasted in argument.

You are still toting around that same strawman.

How boring.

How did that turn out?
It actually turned out exactly how the prohibitionists said it would turn out. Every ill they thought of has actually come to pass. Broken homes, severe alcoholism, drinking among children. Their worst nightmares have happened. Including the proliferation of stores selling alcohol in the inner city where there are more liquor stores than food stores. As drug addicts are guided to say, more lives are destroyed by alcohol than pot. Give that one a bit of time.

Umm you were saying?

except that it's done exactly that in countries that ended these outdated laws.
You claim to have read the articles that say the exact opposite, but you relentlessly lie regardless.

You do. not. care.

About women and girls being kidnapped, raped, imprioned and murdered, or the truth.

You have no integrity whatsoever.
Neither does keeping it illegal.

The reality is, prostitution laws are rarely enforced, and when they are, they are minimally punished.

For instance, in my area, the police actually did bust a woman at one of the many, many Happy Ending Massage Parlors we have out here. She got a $100 fine.
^ Simply does not care about the lives and safety of women and girls.

It actually turned out exactly how the prohibitionists said it would turn out. Every ill they thought of has actually come to pass. Broken homes, severe alcoholism, drinking among children. Their worst nightmares have happened. Including the proliferation of stores selling alcohol in the inner city where there are more liquor stores than food stores. As drug addicts are guided to say, more lives are destroyed by alcohol than pot. Give that one a bit of time.

Umm you were saying?

Oh, so you think we should get rid of booze too.

What is next? Sugar? Caffeine? Gambling?

Is there any vice that you do not wish to see outlawed?

Forum List

Back