NHL Suspended and Fined for Calling a Ref a "Fag" LOL

I really don't care b/c I hate the Blackhawks. lol

Let's Go Pens!

good on the NHL

His remorse seems genuine. He fought back tears as he addressed the issue with the media. “I get it,” he said. “It’s a hurtful word. I know. I am sorry.”

As sincere as Shaw's apology may be, it is not enough, not in 2016, not for a league that has a partnership with the You Can Play movement, an activist group dedicated to eliminating homophobia in sports. Brendan Burke, who works for the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, was one of the founders of the group. His father, Brian Burke, the Calgary Flames president, is a board member. Several NHL players have done public service announcements for the organization.

“I applaud the league for the stance they have taken here,” Brian Burke said. “The terminology was clear. There was a time lapse. You can’t argue heat of the moment. I admire this player and I’m sure he would like to take the moment back, but the remedy is appropriate.”

There has to be zero tolerance for any form of homophobia in the NHL.

“Our message is every player is welcome, every fan is welcome. We don’t care who you go home with or what church you go to. We don’t care what color your skin is.”

Andrew Shaw's Game 5 suspension is right call by NHL

i wonder if the referee was actually gay like with the NBA incident...

The NHL isn't the only professional sports league to face a situation like this. The NBA suspended Rajon Rondo one game for directing a homophobic slur toward an official in December.

the league is free to hold their players to common decency standards, God bless America.
Yes, and they do. Last year the NBA fined a player $35,000 for cursing a referee. An NFL coach was fined $100,000 for use of profanity. Contracts with players and coaches require they maintain an image that does not reflect badly on the team, league or the sport.

good on the NHL.....

Suspending a player during the playoffs for something that is no doubt said a thousand times between players trying to get under each other's skin, or to refs who alter the course of the game? Is it a proper or appropriate thing to say? No, but the NHL is just afraid of the PC social media bullshit of today. There is very little chance the bigwigs at the NHL give a shit about whether any homosexual people were actually offended (which are likely very few). Sports fans, gay or straight, know how the trash-talk thing works and how emotions get heated during fierce competition.

no doubt the guy is crying cuz he's missing a playoff game as a consequence for his lack of self discipline.

self discipline is part of sports and professional leagues reserve the right to discipline players as they see fit.

Goon acts like a goon and draws a suspension and a fine.

What a fucked up world we live in these days.

This pc shit is getting out of hand when a hockey player cannot call someone a fag.

good on the NHL.....

Suspending a player during the playoffs for something that is no doubt said a thousand times between players trying to get under each other's skin, or to refs who alter the course of the game? Is it a proper or appropriate thing to say? No, but the NHL is just afraid of the PC social media bullshit of today. There is very little chance the bigwigs at the NHL give a shit about whether any homosexual people were actually offended (which are likely very few). Sports fans, gay or straight, know how the trash-talk thing works and how emotions get heated during fierce competition.
Once he got to the box, he banged his stick on the glass and yelled something at an official as he skated by. It appears that he yells “F**k you, f**king faggot, f**k you,
If he had been yelling at a player, nothing would have probably happened but it was a Ref and that makes a difference to the NHL. This is nothing new, players in all the major sports have been thrown out the game and fined for going at a Ref.

Forum List

Back