NIGHTMARE scenario, is it possible?

This November's election turns into a complete legal shitshow and at some point Pelosi is appointed interim president?

Call me stupid if you like. I did study civics in school but I don't remember a situation like this being discussed.
I see the very real potential for this to rapidly descend into widespread urban violence absent a convincing Trump win on election night, perhaps such is all but assured, what I do know is this, there is no scenario in which Biden wins where I, or tens of millions of other Americans accept such as a lawful result!
Why? The one who's actually been involved in election fraud is tRump.
Liar.

This November's election turns into a complete legal shitshow and at some point Pelosi is appointed interim president?

Call me stupid if you like. I did study civics in school but I don't remember a situation like this being discussed.
Pelosi would not be appointed president. If a president isn't elected by the final date, the election goes to the House of Representatives where each state gets ONE vote. Since there are more republican states than democratic ones, the republicans will pick the next president. Most likely Donald Trump just to stick a stick inthe democrat's eyes.
That would be awesome.
tenor.gif

The Twelfth Amendment
The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and of all persons voted for as Vice-President, and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate;–The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted;–The person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. [And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.–]The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

I see the very real potential for this to rapidly descend into widespread urban violence absent a convincing Trump win on election night, perhaps such is all but assured, what I do know is this, there is no scenario in which Biden wins where I, or tens of millions of other Americans accept such as a lawful result!
Russia, still??? Do you still believe in Santa Claus too??? :th_BlackHelicopter:

Liar.
Nope. Sorry for your luck.

Russia, still??? Do you still believe in Santa Claus too??? :th_BlackHelicopter:
Where have you been? Just yesterday he told all.his supporters to vote twice. He's b en trying to sabotage the post office. He's been spreading lies about mail in voting, and don't even get me started on 250+ meetings with Russians during the last presidential election.

Where have you been? Just yesterday he told all.his supporters to vote twice. He's b en trying to sabotage the post office. He's been spreading lies about mail in voting, and don't even get me started on 250+ meetings with Russians during the last presidential election.

Show us kid.

The Twelfth Amendment
The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and of all persons voted for as Vice-President, and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate;–The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted;–The person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. [And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.–]The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.
Already posted that and it clearly states if the electoral college does NOT select the President it goes to the House and if they don't select the Vice President that goes to the senate.

Stupid.

Here is what would have to happen for what you chicken little "sky is falling" panty wastes are worried about:

Lets take a state...Iowa. Iowa SoS sees there is voter fraud (as there has been in practically every election since we started casting votes on this planet) fraud. She/He can conflate it to the wildly irrational pearl clutching that conservatives everywhere have bought into and void the election. Iowa's six electoral votes are not counted. So instead of 538 EVs, it becomes 532. So the magic number becomes 266. Meanwhile, every vote to return Jodi Ernst (sp?) is not counted, every seat they have in the House which is sworn in on 1/4/21 is vacant....

Constitutional scholars differ on this but the con consensus is that if a state doesn't validate it's election, the other states simply go on without that state seating electors. In the Presidential election of 1864, the election went on without waiting for the Confederate states to have electors counted. That is the most relevant example.

Bush V. Gore pretty much guaranteed that the votes were going to be counted on December 18 (it will be December 14). So whether Iowa wants to take part or not, the election will be certified. As it will in every other state and DC.

This is just Trump programming you to be a moron. And your obliging the pervert. Why? Nobody knows.

Mitch McConnel is leader of The Senate and Mike Pence is President of The Senate.

Pelosi is only speaker of The House

That changes or could change comes January 3rd.

The new house and senate are the one's who count the votes.

Stupid.

Here is what would have to happen for what you chicken little "sky is falling" panty wastes are worried about:

Lets take a state...Iowa. Iowa SoS sees there is voter fraud (as there has been in practically every election since we started casting votes on this planet) fraud. She/He can conflate it to the wildly irrational pearl clutching that conservatives everywhere have bought into and void the election. Iowa's six electoral votes are not counted. So instead of 538 EVs, it becomes 532. So the magic number becomes 266. Meanwhile, every vote to return Jodi Ernst (sp?) is not counted, every seat they have in the House which is sworn in on 1/4/21 is vacant....

Constitutional scholars differ on this but the con consensus is that if a state doesn't validate it's election, the other states simply go on without that state seating electors. In the Presidential election of 1864, the election went on without waiting for the Confederate states to have electors counted. That is the most relevant example.

Bush V. Gore pretty much guaranteed that the votes were going to be counted on December 18 (it will be December 14). So whether Iowa wants to take part or not, the election will be certified. As it will in every other state and DC.

This is just Trump programming you to be a moron. And your obliging the pervert. Why? Nobody knows.

But in Bush vs Gore...The Florida Stte Legislature had final say in the matter and they announced it in early December of that year,
that if the votes were not completed by the due date...The State Legislature would vote to award Florida's
25 electoral votes. And considering the Florida Legislature was and remains, deep red, we all knew what the outcome would
be.

Stupid.

But in Bush vs Gore...The Florida Stte Legislature had final say in the matter and they announced it in early December of that year,
that if the votes were not completed by the due date...The State Legislature would vote to award Florida's
25 electoral votes. And considering the Florida Legislature was and remains, deep red, we all knew what the outcome would
be.

True. However, the overarching point is that the Supreme Court said the EVs will be in place by 12/18. There will be a winner decided in this election (outside of a 269/269 split--which is possible by the way). All of the theatrics are just bread and circuses that Emperor Trump is tossing at his minions.

The republican doomsday scenario.

What if the democrats retain the house and they take the senate? That puts things into a whole new light.
Democrats could object to the validity of the votes in any state, and the result goes to a vote of the house and senate, which by simple majority fo both houses throws out those EC votes.

Since election requires a majority of al EC votes (not just those counted) unless someobdy has 270 un contested EC votes it devolves to the house to elect the president and the senate, the vice president.

But before you point out the house votes by states, and a majority of states are republican, that would assure a republican victory. But, and it's an important but, the speaker of the house controls when that vote takes place, and if Pelosi is still in charge, that would be the 12 of never.

With the house not choosing a president, on inauguration day if no president has been elected, or isn't qualified, then the vice president, becomes acting president.

True. However, the overarching point is that the Supreme Court said the EVs will be in place by 12/18. There will be a winner decided in this election (outside of a 269/269 split--which is possible by the way). All of the theatrics are just bread and circuses that Emperor Trump is tossing at his minions.

Forget the 269/269 split. Unless somebody gets to 270 the house decides who the president is.

Forget the 269/269 split. Unless somebody gets to 270 the house decides who the president is.

Someone will get 270 unless there is a 269-269 split. No state is going to be able to refuse it's electors based on mythical voter fraud because they would also have to throw out the votes top to bottom...no Senators (in states that are electing senators), no Reps, no statewide officials.

Someone will get 270 unless there is a 269-269 split. No state is going to be able to refuse it's electors based on mythical voter fraud because they would also have to throw out the votes top to bottom...no Senators (in states that are electing senators), no Reps, no statewide officials.
Remember, voter fraud is depending on how close the vote is. If they allege 100,000 fraudulent votes, and the senator wins by 100,001 votes, they can still be certified the winner, since any election protest would fail from it not being able to change the outcome.

Those votes closer than the level of alleged fraud, would be the ones that would fail to be certified, and hence nobody elected for those positions.

Forum List

Back